Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Where do you carry your cell phone while riding?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Where do you carry your cell phone while riding?

Old 08-14-18, 08:39 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
got a new pouch (aka stem bag) I think mine is a Mountain Feed Bag by Revelate Designs LLC. gotta say this thing is wicked super convenient. just drop whatever you want in & it's right there at your finger tips. probably overkill for just a phone & maybe they make smaller pouches. doesn't interfere with me. the only time it touched my knee is when I was stopped for a light with my left foot on the ground & my right foot clipped in the pedal at 12 o'clock (knee up). I suspect this is more for ppl who "tour" but I know commuters like bags. I found it useful for my handheld camera. I used to carry my old feature phone in the top tube bento bag

Last edited by rumrunn6; 08-15-18 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-15-18, 10:39 AM
CrewFan

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo, Breezer Liberty r 1.3+, Fuji Absolute 2.1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I use the Banjo Brother's cycling wallet - it's a little bulky, but It has space for ID, CC, and phone. I usually just stick in my jersey pockets for rides.

Last edited by CrewFan; 08-15-18 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-15-18, 01:07 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
That's kinda neat!

Also...does your handlebar pick up the UHF TV stations? That's quite an accessory set up you have there!

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
got a new pouch (aka stem bag) I think mine is a Mountain Feed Bag by Revelate Designs LLC. gotta say this thing is wicked super convenient. just drop whatever you want in & it's right there at your finger tips. probably overkill for just a phone & maybe they make smaller pouches. doesn't interfere with me. the only time it touched my knee is when I was stopped for a light with my left foot on the ground & my right foot clipped in the pedal at 12 o'clock (knee up). I suspect this is more for ppl who "tour" but I know commuters like bags. I found it useful for my handheld camera. I used to carry my old feature phone in the top tube bento bag

Old 08-15-18, 02:27 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Skipjacks
That's kinda neat!Also...does your handlebar pick up the UHF TV stations? That's quite an accessory set up you have there!
omg, I know right? can you say wind drag? it just got worse & worse last year cuz I was trying to get clean obstruction free lighting & video up front. got used to it tho. some ppl passing me the other way start to chuckle when they see that mess
Old 08-17-18, 12:54 PM
gtd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Lots of gear :)

I've had a similar setup from time to time. It's amusing to see how offended some people get. But when you ride a distance, you're on your own, and the conditions can change dramatically (daylight to darkness, severe weather, etc.), you need extra gear!

I like your DIY solutions.

Originally Posted by rumrunn6

Old 08-17-18, 01:06 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by gtd
I like your DIY solutions.
thanks I attribute that to my indoctrination into bike commuting. I think commuters are very resourceful riders. btw the bag is good but I want to rig a divider
Old 08-17-18, 11:38 PM
rumstove
Riding after dark

Bikes: Raleigh Tripper (coaster brake), Raleigh One Way, '97 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 25 Posts
I really like the Banjo Brothers Handlebar Phone Pack. Velcros onto the stem and bars and has enough room for keys and wallet under the phone. I can also still use my phone while it's in the bag to look at my Strava route map if needed.
Old 08-18-18, 10:19 AM
CrewFan

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo, Breezer Liberty r 1.3+, Fuji Absolute 2.1

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rumstove
I really like the Banjo Brothers Handlebar Phone Pack. Velcros onto the stem and bars and has enough room for keys and wallet under the phone. I can also still use my phone while it's in the bag to look at my Strava route map if needed.

How do you like the Banjo Brothers Handlebar Phone Pak? Would you get it again? I was thinking of adding that to my commuter, but wanted to get some feed back before I ordered it.
Old 08-19-18, 09:06 PM
rumstove
Riding after dark

Bikes: Raleigh Tripper (coaster brake), Raleigh One Way, '97 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by CrewFan
How do you like the Banjo Brothers Handlebar Phone Pak? Would you get it again? I was thinking of adding that to my commuter, but wanted to get some feed back before I ordered it.
It's great! I liked it so much I bought a second one for another bike. I can fit my wallet, keys, and garage door opener in there under my phone. The only downside is that it's sometimes difficult to get the phone screen to acknowledge pushing it if you're not storing anything under the phone. When I push down to bring up a map on my phone the phone just pushes down because of the empty space under it. But, as long as I have my wallet in the bag under my phone I can use my phone without any problems.

The Bar Top Bag is similar, but while it's deeper for more storage room the phone fit is tighter. I have an iPhone 6 with a case and in the Bar Top Bag it was a tight fit. That's the main reason I went with the Handlebar Phone Pack instead and I'm quite happy with it.
Old 08-24-18, 03:44 PM
bfuser284953024

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Samsung S7. My case is one of those flip open wallet cases. When commuting, it goes in my backpack. If it rains, the backpack gets covered with my giant orange shower cap. When touring, it lives in a pocket of my jersey, or in an armband holder. I prefer the jersey, since my phone is easier to access.

I'm not the type to check my stats while riding, so I'm fine with it in a pocket and out of the way.
Old 08-29-18, 12:10 PM
zzaped

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Flip Belt It's a elastic belt that that is a tube with slots in it. I use it to jog, walk and ride with the phone in the small of my back.
Old 08-29-18, 08:25 PM
Rpbergie

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD10, KHS Flite 200, Rocky Mountain Equipe

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SylvainG
Looks like I'm in the minority (so far) that carry his cell phone on a cradle attached to the stem bolt. My cell phone is also my 'dash board' where, just like in my car, I can glance at my stats.
Have you got a cradle recommendation? What sort of phone do you have?
Old 08-30-18, 07:39 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Rpbergie
Have you got a cradle recommendation? What sort of phone do you have?
I have a Samsung Notes 8.

I have this cradle. It's made of aluminum and can be attached directly on the stem. I wouldn't use it without a case (aluminum hooks could scratch the phone I guess) but if you have a hard case, works very well. The sides of my Outerbox Commuter case is hard plastic on the bottom half and soft rubber on the top half. Because of that, the two top hooks don't grab the phone well so I added a 1/4" wide piece of tubing that I slide the phone through (the "rubber band" goes around the cradle and the phone slide through it). I had two cradles like this before which I really liked but both broke at the support so went with the one I currently have. Don't plan on changing and being all metal, should last a long time,
Old 08-31-18, 05:51 AM
Townie7D

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Quad Lock and it works very well.
Old 08-31-18, 12:16 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
When riding with a cell phone, I usually carry it to wherever it is that I'm going.
Old 09-02-18, 03:23 PM
Piperflyer

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Radical Rick
For the longest time I used a cheapo flip phone. I never worried about having the flip phone in my pocket. It could get banged around, drenched in sweat, and it wasn't a problem. I upgraded to a cheaper smart phone a few years ago. It was very durable, and never had a problem carrying it in my pocket. Once I even dropped it while trying to text and ride. It didn't have a case, and it survived the fall with only a minor ding.

A few days ago I decided to take the plunge. I bought a fancy new smart phone. I was about to go for a ride with my new phone in my pocket, and started having second thoughts. These newer smart phones seem more fragile than earlier models. I have one of those hard cases for it, but it will still get sweaty. This got me to thinking about one of those phone holsters, but I feel like that will get in my way while riding.

Where do you carry your cell phone when you ride? Are you concerned with damaging it? Have you ever damaged a phone while riding?

I carry mine in two places.. one my front short pocket on shorter runs. Or i have a topeak large seat bag that works great at fitting an IPhone Plus model in it.
Old 04-16-23, 10:09 PM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
it depends...

On my Stromer which I used to commute with, I use this old Delta holder
Now that my wrists are shot (carpal tunnel release surgery) I use this quad lock on my Catlike 559, attached to an aftermarket arm.

Putting the phone in a baggie or water cover sometimes (but not often). If it is raining hard, I move the phone to one of my panniers (of which I have a collection of Ortlieb, Arkel, Timbuk2, and Axiom) all of which are reasonably waterproof (some moreso than others).
Old 04-20-23, 08:14 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
I use a Restrap tech bag
Old 04-28-23, 02:27 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
I carry my cell phone in an OtterBox case attached to my belt when I'm commuting, unless the weather is bad enough to cause me to wear wind/rain-proof pants. In that case the phone is in my backpack.
The OtterBox is virtually bullet-proof,and impossible to come off my belt unintentionally. On recreational rides, I carry the phone in a rack "trunk".
Old 04-30-23, 02:24 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 258 Posts
Zipped inside the seat bag, wrapped in bubble wrap or small scrap of upholstery foam, or just wrapped in a cloth washcloth or small golf towel.......

Same thing when zipped inside the triangle frame bag.......

I have this phone holder on several bikes, it adjusts to fit all smart phones and its four corner securing method insures that the phone cannot escape.....
these are inexpensive but excellent...........these work great but you might find that they may be the first choice of too many soccer moms who ride upright cruiser-tourist bikes to be something that you'd consider placing on your serious Italian road bike, as you don't have a bell on that either for probably the same reason......
https://www.ebay.com/itm/364155260568

This is another, great minimalist solution that runners use...............that jogging arm-band phone pouch that typically is worn around the upper arm of your choice....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165714315940

Don't be tempted to try to just place the phone in the rear pouch of your jersey, as it can and possibly--likely will bounce out UNLESS zippered or velcro closured inside of that rear pouch such that it cannot open by itself under any conditions.

One of those ordinary old-time basic zippered fanny packs can be worn in rear or in front or on the side, whatever you like, if you like using a fanny pack.
I still recommend using a small portion of common bubble wrap, or upholstery foam or a cloth washcloth or even an old large glove as PROTECTIVE PADDING to protect your phone from your keys and tools, coins, etc.

There are a lot of phone holders for bicycles but you should consider only those that the phone CANNOT escape from.
There are plenty that look really cool but only grip the phone in two places, the top and bottom of the RECTANGLE shape (this the phone often ejects out either side while fast spirited riding over rough bumpy winding curved roads. The other one that grips in just two places, the sides of the RECTANGLE shape, not gripping the top and bottom at all (this the phone will eject when it does eject out of the top most likely, but also out of the bottom)
THIS HAPPENS BECAUSE YOU CANNOT SQUEEZE THE PHONE TIGHT ENOUGH, or most people don't, fearing injuring the phone or one of its buttons....
There are several see through clear, zippered Bicycle Phone Bag mounts that attach to the top bar, or the stem, or handlebar that keep the phone visible but zipped inside where it cannot go flying off at the speed of sound when you hit a bump while doing 26mph.
Remember if the particular mount does not completely lock in the four corners where the phone cannot go flying off under any conditions UNLESS the phone mount itself were to be so loose as to loosen and fall off or become broken and thus not retain its secure hold to the frame or handlebars, etc. Yes, your seat bag, or your frame bag or your fanny pack CAN GO FLYING OFF TOO if you make the mistake of not securing it properly or forget to cinch the straps and velcro when installing it again after removing it. The phone will not escape from its zippered container/pouch/bag, and assuming that you properly secured the pouch/bag/pack/container.....it (the phone) will be safe in perfect condition UNLESS you crash, and then who knows.... ..hopefully you'll never crash but if you do it is much more likely that you will be more damaged from a crash than your phone residing inside a bag/pouch wrapped in bubble wrap or towel or upholstery foam.

Last edited by Vintage Schwinn; 04-30-23 at 02:29 AM.
Old 04-30-23, 04:54 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,384 Times in 2,733 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
Zipped inside the seat bag, wrapped in bubble wrap or small scrap of upholstery foam, or just wrapped in a cloth washcloth or small golf towel.......

Same thing when zipped inside the triangle frame bag.......

I have this phone holder on several bikes, it adjusts to fit all smart phones and its four corner securing method insures that the phone cannot escape.....
these are inexpensive but excellent...........these work great but you might find that they may be the first choice of too many soccer moms who ride upright cruiser-tourist bikes to be something that you'd consider placing on your serious Italian road bike, as you don't have a bell on that either for probably the same reason......
https://www.ebay.com/itm/364155260568

This is another, great minimalist solution that runners use...............that jogging arm-band phone pouch that typically is worn around the upper arm of your choice....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165714315940

Don't be tempted to try to just place the phone in the rear pouch of your jersey, as it can and possibly--likely will bounce out UNLESS zippered or velcro closured inside of that rear pouch such that it cannot open by itself under any conditions.

One of those ordinary old-time basic zippered fanny packs can be worn in rear or in front or on the side, whatever you like, if you like using a fanny pack.
I still recommend using a small portion of common bubble wrap, or upholstery foam or a cloth washcloth or even an old large glove as PROTECTIVE PADDING to protect your phone from your keys and tools, coins, etc.

There are a lot of phone holders for bicycles but you should consider only those that the phone CANNOT escape from.
There are plenty that look really cool but only grip the phone in two places, the top and bottom of the RECTANGLE shape (this the phone often ejects out either side while fast spirited riding over rough bumpy winding curved roads. The other one that grips in just two places, the sides of the RECTANGLE shape, not gripping the top and bottom at all (this the phone will eject when it does eject out of the top most likely, but also out of the bottom)
THIS HAPPENS BECAUSE YOU CANNOT SQUEEZE THE PHONE TIGHT ENOUGH, or most people don't, fearing injuring the phone or one of its buttons....
There are several see through clear, zippered Bicycle Phone Bag mounts that attach to the top bar, or the stem, or handlebar that keep the phone visible but zipped inside where it cannot go flying off at the speed of sound when you hit a bump while doing 26mph.
Remember if the particular mount does not completely lock in the four corners where the phone cannot go flying off under any conditions UNLESS the phone mount itself were to be so loose as to loosen and fall off or become broken and thus not retain its secure hold to the frame or handlebars, etc. Yes, your seat bag, or your frame bag or your fanny pack CAN GO FLYING OFF TOO if you make the mistake of not securing it properly or forget to cinch the straps and velcro when installing it again after removing it. The phone will not escape from its zippered container/pouch/bag, and assuming that you properly secured the pouch/bag/pack/container.....it (the phone) will be safe in perfect condition UNLESS you crash, and then who knows.... ..hopefully you'll never crash but if you do it is much more likely that you will be more damaged from a crash than your phone residing inside a bag/pouch wrapped in bubble wrap or towel or upholstery foam.
Yep, fingers crossed!
Old 04-30-23, 10:01 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 181 Posts
In my pannier or backpack when commuting. If just out riding, I'll put the phone in a zippered pocket in my sweater/jacket.
Old 04-30-23, 09:15 PM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Raleigh International, Rans Sequoia, GT Timberline, Double Vision tandem, Optima Baron, old Raleighs.

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
If I'm riding a bike with my handlebar bag, the phone goes in the narrow section right under the map holder. The handlebar bag is a Topeak touring bag. I can leave the section slightly open, if I'm using a phone based navigation such as RideWithGPS. That lets me hear the audio instructions. Very convenient.

If the bike du jour doesn't use my handlebar bag, I put the phone in another bag on the bike: pannier, racktop bag, recumbent seat-back bag, backpack. Or in cooler weather, in my shell jacket's vest pocket.
Old 05-04-23, 04:29 PM
pigmonkey

Bikes: Rodriguez Rainier, Rodriguez Makeshift High Roller

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride in normal street clothes, so most of the time I just keep my phone in a pants pocket. If it is raining heavily I might move it to whatever bag I happen to have on the bike at the time.

When I'm using the phone to navigate, I use a handlebar mount. The best mount I've found is the Tackform Enduro mount. I've had plastic mounts break. The Tackform Enduro is all metal and made for motorcycles, but works great on real bikes too. It's super secure, doesn't depend on a special phone case, and makes it easy to install/remove the phone (one-handed, while riding). I think it's great. But, being intended for motorcycles, it is heavier than any bicycle-specific mount.

It'll hold your HT, too, if you're into ham radio.

(As a newb I can't link to anything yet, but if you go to my blog, linked in my profile, and search for "tackform" you can see some photos and more detailed thoughts.)
Old 05-04-23, 05:11 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Now, it is kept in my rear pocket if solo. On a group ride, it depends.

If you keep it on your bike and if you crash and break a lot of bones, retrieving the phone really impresses the trauma team, especially if you had to move compound fractures.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.