Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Pedal noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-18, 08:48 AM
metropical

Bikes: 2009 CAAD 9 - 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Pedal noise

in relation to this previous thread https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...und-point.html

sorry these are so huge. Tried to make them reasonable.

I've removed the left pedal. It definitely feels a little rough on the axle holding the pedal in my hands and slow spinning.
But the pedals seem to be no name. The have a nut on the outside of the axle. I guess a nutdriver in a vise with the pedal wrench on the other side to extract the axle.?
Or am I better off getting new pedals? And if new pedals, any suggestion for inexpensive platform? I assume I can re-use the toe clip traps.

Last edited by metropical; 10-01-18 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-01-18, 10:00 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I would just go for new pedals, and search for alloy quill pedals rather than platform if you want the same type as pictured. Rather than depending only on a few recommendations here look for ones that have the features you like, with many good reviews and the price range you desire.
Old 10-01-18, 11:10 AM
metropical

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
thanks. found these and these. I'm thinking the later if only coz they can be clip or not, should I decide to up my game, as it were.
Old 10-01-18, 12:55 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
It is hard to go wrong with MKS, especially if you spring for the dust cap tool so that you can service the bearings, which you should do right away since they often come adjusted too tight and skimpily lubricated, even MKS.
Old 10-02-18, 01:37 PM
metropical

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
well that was a rude awakening. I gather that these types of pedals are made only with loose bearings. Is there such a thing as a comparable pedal with sealed bearings?
Old 10-02-18, 03:01 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Sure pedals have been made with cartridge bearings (usually called "sealed"). But they tend to be at the upper end of a pedal type price range.

The usual failure (if that's the right term which for the pictured ones isn't IMO) mode is to loose the dust cap and thus have all kinds of crap get into the bearings. Additionally the common cheaply sold plastic bodied pedals are well known for their lack of robustness. The plastic bodies don't secure the steel bearing cups well, crack frequently and don't handle impacts with the ground well. We usually describe plastic pedals as temporary and suggest the rider replace with whatever type they prefer but in all metal.

MKS makes some nice and serviceable examples. But even good pedals suffer when whacked on the ground. Andy (who has sharpened Campy cage quills to a point when sliding out on corners a couple of times)
Old 10-02-18, 03:37 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by metropical
thanks. found these and these. I'm thinking the later if only coz they can be clip or not, should I decide to up my game, as it were.
I have a couple pairs of the MKS AR-2 EZ pedals, one of which has over 20,000 miles on them. These have uncaged ball bearings and are pretty easy to service, but they have lousy seals on the inboard side, so I've had to service them a number of times. An "axle vise" is helpful; the only special tools needed are deep-well 10mm and 13mm sockets (for my pedals... the ones you linked to might be different).
I also have a couple pairs of Shimano SPD pedals, which have excellent seals. They are serviceable, but service is rarely needed.
I'd get the Shimano pedals you linked to, al things considered.
Old 10-02-18, 07:13 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Drilling a tiny hole in the dust cap center and then using a needle ended grease gun makes grease injection real easy/fast. Hub Buddies use to make a kit to do much of the same, add an injection hole. JA Stein offered a BB version. I've used both and they allow extended life in bad conditions as long as the rider does their part, inject fresh lube periodically. Andy
Old 10-02-18, 07:31 PM
metropical

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
how about these as compared to the Shims?
Old 10-03-18, 06:39 AM
metropical

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
in looking further at these as well as Dimension Comps that were recommended, the pegs, though I understand their purpose, will destroy my $ New Bals for my big flat feet.
The Shims and Dimensions look to be less "aggressive".

Here are choices I've found. Any input welcome, especially as to quality and durability. My OEMs made it nearly a decade. At perhaps 50mi/wk avg, should be difficult one would assume.
Leaning toward Forte or Wellgo as both have sealed non-serviceable bearings, which is fine. My OEMs had missing and destroyed dust caps. If I get 5 years out of new pedals as a casual ride, I'd be quite happy at these prices.
If I hadn't already, I ride in size 14 New Bals.
Retrospec Bicycles Classic Road Pedal https://goo.gl/Ew7uwc
Forté ATB Comp Pedals https://goo.gl/mdcrc5
Shimano PD-M324 SPD Pedals https://goo.gl/ChUzJG
Wellgo LU-961 Clip and Strap Pedal https://goo.gl/8hDnHm
All-City Standard Track Pedal https://goo.gl/5yabBw
Dimension Sport Platform Pedals https://goo.gl/KZ5VTD

Last edited by metropical; 10-03-18 at 09:59 AM.