Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Trail systems

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Trail systems

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-18, 11:18 PM
Presser
Frequenchies

Bikes: Bianchi Portofino track conversion, +25ish builds under my belt.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trail systems

No I’m not talking about local city trails that rin a dozen miles tops, I’m here to hear what trails you know of or have ridden that span more miles, rural, no motorized traffic, scenic, etc. I’ve heard of a few but have only gotten to experience one known as the Wabash Trace (65 miles from Council Bluffs/Omaha to Shenandoah). I’ve ridden it multiple times, makes for good day tripping, camping, and foraging, with its finely crushed limestone path, very few shallow hills to climb and bomb, and lined with streams and canopied tree lines to provide shade through rural farmland and rural woodland, ample wildlife (encountered a rogue mountain lion along it myself it was up in a tree but I startled it as I whizzed past), with small town treasures along the way and plenty of spots to have good robust fun an relax. It connects down to a highway that’ll go straight to KCMO. Anyone know of any trails like this? Long ones that would make interstate cycling a real pleasure?
Old 12-10-18, 11:26 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Check out Michigan's Trail systems. They have about 2700 miles of trails; some of them meet your criteria. Also look at Idaho's Trail of the Coeur d' Alenes.

Rails to Trails

Last edited by Doug64; 12-10-18 at 11:38 PM.
Old 12-11-18, 04:55 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Australia's Rail Trails
https://www.railtrails.org.au/
Old 12-11-18, 04:59 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

In this thread, I posted the story of our trip on the longest (or possibly second longest now) rail trail in Victoria. See posts 34, 37 and 38.

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...t-tours-2.html
Old 12-11-18, 06:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Interstate is tough. But for long trails, there are some in MN.

Some specific ones are: The Katy Trail. The Mickelson Trail in SD, which is very scenic but not flat. The Olympian Trail in MT, which is less developed, not flat, but scenic. It connects with the Route of the Hiawatha Trail, which takes you into ID via St. Paul Pass. You can also transfer from the Olympian to the NorPac Trail that will take you across Lookout Pass into ID where you can connect with the Trail of the Couer d'Alene. The NorPac is also more rugged than your typical rail-trail and not flat, but also very pretty. It's technically open to vehicles since and is managed by the U.S.F.S. I saw one car when it rode the MT side. What little traffic there is moves very slowly. The Cd'A trail is paved. And let's not forget the GAP/C&O combination that will take you from Pittsburgh to D.C. In PA there is the D&L system, which has a few gaps in places.
Old 12-11-18, 07:35 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The Silver Comet Trail

Suburban Atlanta, Georgia to Anniston, Alabama

https://www.bikeforums.net/southeast...il-photos.html

-Tim-
Old 12-11-18, 08:31 AM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Quebec has a few trails, the most famous being the 200km Le P'tit Train du Nord. You could make 400-500mile tour with very little road riding, with a shuttle at one end and a train the other. The solid lines are bike paths, the double lines are on road: https://carto.routeverte.com/en

Last edited by Erick L; 12-11-18 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-11-18, 09:27 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
BC has the KVR (Kettle Valley Railway), several hundred Km's of rail trail. https://bcrailtrails.com/
You can also travel across most of BC on a semi off road system of trails as noted in this race https://www.bcepic1000.com/

A pic from the KVR

Old 12-11-18, 09:53 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Google Maps bicycle option
google maps shows most every trail, from short ones in city parks to the longest ones.

Pull down the left side menu and select Bicycling.

You have to zoom in to at least the "10 mile" zoom level before the bike trails display.
Zoom way in on trail to see it's name repeated along the line, then you can google that trail name for more info.

For example, southern PA with the GAP trail heading SE from Pittsburgh.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2283.../data=!5m1!1e3

What are the solid or dotted lines?
The trail markings don't all have their previous meanings, and there's no info from google itself on the new markings.

previously,
solid green line: a paved trail
solid brown line: unpaved trail
dotted line: a bike lane on a road.

Now:
dashed green line: unpaved trail?
solid dark green line: might be paved or unpaved trail.. why! See the GAP trail around Ohiopyle, some of it is solid, some dashed, but it's all the same unpaved, crushed stone surface.
solid light green line: bike lane on a road
dotted line: bike friendly road. (some are more "friendly" than others, though.)
solid brown: unpaved trail or dirt path.
The current map legend. Doesn't show the dashed lines here.

Street View!
A few trails have Street View, from a bicycle towed camera.
zoom in, drag the yellow "street view guy" onto the map and see if the trail is included.
For example, the Little Miami Trail near Loveland OH:

Last edited by rm -rf; 12-11-18 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-11-18, 09:57 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
There's a huge expanse of rail trails in central Iowa, all interconnected. You could easily spend three days in central Iowa riding dedicated trail.
Old 12-11-18, 10:13 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Long trails not yet mentioned:

The Katy Trail
The GAP Trail, Great Allegheny Passage. There's more trails in the Pittsburgh area, too.
The C&O Canal Trail, connects to the GAP trail
The New River Trail, from Galax WV
The Erie Canal Trail, Rochester NY
The Little Miami Trail, Cincinnati to Xenia OH, with interconnects to many other trails. paved.
The Ohio & Erie Towpath trail, south of Cleveland, including Cuyahoga Valley National Park. And more trail south of Akron OH.

Scenic:
The Virginia Creeper Trail. AbingdonVA. 34 miles, extremely scenic, following a mountain creek valley, with whitewater and many bridge crossings. The round trip, 68 miles, is a full day ride, since there's a lot of elevation gain and many scenic stops along the way.

Last edited by rm -rf; 12-11-18 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-11-18, 01:13 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by Presser
No I’m not talking about local city trails that rin a dozen miles tops, I’m here to hear what trails you know of or have ridden that span more miles, rural, no motorized traffic, scenic, etc. I’ve heard of a few but have only gotten to experience one known as the Wabash Trace (65 miles from Council Bluffs/Omaha to Shenandoah). I’ve ridden it multiple times, makes for good day tripping, camping, and foraging, with its finely crushed limestone path, very few shallow hills to climb and bomb, and lined with streams and canopied tree lines to provide shade through rural farmland and rural woodland, ample wildlife (encountered a rogue mountain lion along it myself it was up in a tree but I startled it as I whizzed past), with small town treasures along the way and plenty of spots to have good robust fun an relax. It connects down to a highway that’ll go straight to KCMO. Anyone know of any trails like this? Long ones that would make interstate cycling a real pleasure?
Since you appear to be in Omaha, NE, you should check your own back yard first. There the Cowboy Trail from Norfolk to Valentine (and you can realistically, but not officially, ride it to Crawford). There is also the Mo-Pac and Homestead Corridor to the southwest of you. There's also the Steamboat Trace running from Nebraska City south to just south of Brownsville.

Further afield, there's the Katy/Rock Island over in Missouri and the Michelson Trail in South Dakota. There's also the Flint Hills, Kanza and Landon Trail in Kansas.

And, although not "rail trails", there's a rather extensive network here in Colorado. You can ride trail from Denver to Loveland Pass and then ride trails from Keystone to almost Grand Junction going west. South of Denver, there are trails that stretch almost to Colorado Springs and trails north along the Poudre and Platte River. You can also ride trail from Denver to Boulder.

And that just scratches the surface.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-11-18, 01:25 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Check out rails to trails .com.
Old 12-11-18, 02:20 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Around you- Cowboy. Michelson. Katy.
or come to central Iowa and ride hundreds of miles of connected trail.
Old 12-11-18, 07:20 PM
hokie cycler

Bikes: 2018 Giant Stance 1, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2004 LeMond Nevada City, 1980 Peugeot Course single speed, 1978 Peugeot AO-8

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Capital Trail in Virginia connects Richmond and Jamestown. 53 miles long.
Old 12-11-18, 07:25 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
BC has the KVR (Kettle Valley Railway), several hundred Km's of rail trail. https://bcrailtrails.com/
You can also travel across most of BC on a semi off road system of trails as noted in this race https://www.bcepic1000.com/

A pic from the KVR

I have been very interested in this trail, I seem to get mixed reports on trail surface. Maybe because it is a mixed lot.

I really wouldn't be interested in rough trail. Something similar to the Katy or GAP if you have ever ridden them. Maybe even slightly less quality then that would be OK. Any good sections that fit that bill?
Old 12-11-18, 08:46 PM
Happy Feet

Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
The section around Myra Canyon is well maintained and most the rest is adequate. I haven't done those other trails you mention but this is dirt, rock, sand, ruts etc... but not singletrack or technical. I don't think I'd use a road bike perse as thin tires would wallow but a gravel bike or rigid mtb style tourer with 26x1.75 tires would do fine.

Old 12-12-18, 01:24 AM
Presser
Frequenchies

Bikes: Bianchi Portofino track conversion, +25ish builds under my belt.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you! I’m gonna start looking into a few of these, the closer ones of corse as they would make good week long trips and I’ve got cabin fever ����
Old 12-13-18, 02:41 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
Check out Michigan's Trail systems. They have about 2700 miles of trails; some of them meet your criteria. Also look at Idaho's Trail of the Coeur d' Alenes.

Rails to Trails
Yep, the only caveat to the OPs request being is that there are a lot of connectors between the randomly completed trails, it is hard to ride more than a few dozen miles without following some sort of open-to-motor-vehicle traffic.

That said, I still highly recommend them, and can't wait for the day the Airline Railway and the Iron Belle trail are fully complete.
Old 12-20-18, 01:55 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Machka
Australia's Rail Trails
https://www.railtrails.org.au/

I just wish Tasmania would get on board.