Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek announcing "something that will change cycling forever"

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trek announcing "something that will change cycling forever"

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-19, 03:41 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I think your best bet would be epoxy on the shell.
I'll stay with notTrek brand helmets. Thanks for the info though.

-Tim-
Old 03-20-19, 03:57 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac

.. Do not think you can ride anywhere you want any time you want just because someone painted a white line in the street for a bike lane. ...

...You think a helmet is going to protect you when you get T-Boned by an SUV because the driver wasn't paying attention then you have a different understanding of Physics then I do.

Choice of venue and gear isn't what makes you safe. Nor is the existence of bike lanes (which don't exist on the vast majority of useful roads) It's how you use what you have for the totality of conditions at hand.

It does not take long to meet 100,000 drivers on the road. This means that if you're not prepared for the worst 0.001%, you'll find trouble quickly and regularly. Not getting t-boned requires not trusting people to do what they should and looking out for threats at all times.

Since we're on the subject on technologies to reduce head injuries, I present my revolutionary commuter which doubles as a seriously good distance bike and would reduce head injuries far more than Trek's helmet technology if widely implemented

Unlike a standard frame where catastrophic failure, front wheel washout, or crash often leads to immediate and direct high speed contact with the pavement threatening the rider's skull and neck, crash dynamics are much more likely to result in thighs, hips, shoulders, and upper arms bearing the brunt of the impact. Other advantages include being great in headwinds, great on descents (I've never been passed in 12 years I've owned this bike), and it has redneck repellent properties -- tends to evoke curiosity even among those not known for their love of bikes.

And if many people did ride these, it really would change cycling forever and it would be a much bigger change than cyclists have seen for decades

Last edited by banerjek; 03-20-19 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-20-19, 04:09 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Does your neck get tired like that?
When I'm not conditioned, yes -- especially on extended climbs.

But you get used to it. I've put over 12 hrs in the saddle on this many times (though not for a few years)
Old 03-20-19, 08:30 PM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Choice of venue and gear isn't what makes you safe. Nor is the existence of bike lanes (which don't exist on the vast majority of useful roads) It's how you use what you have for the totality of conditions at hand.

It does not take long to meet 100,000 drivers on the road. This means that if you're not prepared for the worst 0.001%, you'll find trouble quickly and regularly. Not getting t-boned requires not trusting people to do what they should and looking out for threats at all times.

Since we're on the subject on technologies to reduce head injuries, I present my revolutionary commuter which doubles as a seriously good distance bike and would reduce head injuries far more than Trek's helmet technology if widely implemented

Unlike a standard frame where catastrophic failure, front wheel washout, or crash often leads to immediate and direct high speed contact with the pavement threatening the rider's skull and neck, crash dynamics are much more likely to result in thighs, hips, shoulders, and upper arms bearing the brunt of the impact. Other advantages include being great in headwinds, great on descents (I've never been passed in 12 years I've owned this bike), and it has redneck repellent properties -- tends to evoke curiosity even among those not known for their love of bikes.

And if many people did ride these, it really would change cycling forever and it would be a much bigger change than cyclists have seen for decades

Try as you may to understand this simple concept. Your approach is to use all of your skill, concentration, judgement, anticipation and experience along with your intuition in totality to deal with any situation that you immerse yourself into. My position is there are certain situations that are too dangerous by their very nature, riding on certain streets during rush hour traffic, that you should not tempt fate by trying to deal with them with the totality of your assets no matter how good you are. I am saying use your judgement. If you deem a situation too dangerous, avoid it. Don't try and deal with it with the skills you have accumulated. No matter how skilled of a boater you are, there are weather conditions you just do not go out in. The same with cicyling. If you take a ride down Hayne Blvd. here during rush hour traffic, the chances are you will not get to the end of Hayne Blvd. Trust me. The best way not to get hurt or killed by a dangerous situation is avoid it.

As as for your unconventional frame set Yes I believe it would be a comfortable and very good long distance bike. But I think you would be compromised in an urban setting because of the lack of maneuverability. You can not turn on a dime with such a frame set. A necessity in urban riding. Instant reaction. Not delayed.
Old 03-20-19, 08:38 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts

As as for your unconventional frame set Yes I believe it would be a comfortable and very good long distance bike. But I think you would be compromised in an urban setting because of the lack of maneuverability. You can not turn on a dime with such a frame set. A necessity in urban riding. Instant reaction. Not delayed.
What about lack of visibility? Seems to ride quite low to the ground.
Old 03-20-19, 08:58 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Well with this copying of the Smith helmet controversy I wonder why Smith hasn't sued Trek for doing that?
Old 03-20-19, 09:31 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Wattsup
Hello
Old 03-20-19, 09:39 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
Well with this copying of the Smith helmet controversy I wonder why Smith hasn't sued Trek for doing that?
While the helmets have been out in demo models and in testing for some time, Trek only made the formal announcement this week.

I'd imagine that Smith is working to get several of the helmets, and is evaluating their options.

Also, does this fall under the MIPS patent?
Old 03-20-19, 09:56 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
A challenge - depth of pockets. Trek can almost certainly survive a suit (and quite likely drag it on past Smith's financial limitations). Actually I suspect they bought the rights from Smith.

Ben
Old 03-20-19, 11:32 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

A bit lower, but not really a problem. That it looks so unusual helps me stick out which provides a different type of visibility. Also, it's a really fast so I can pace traffic in situations that I wouldn't be able to on a race bike.

One the other hand, visibility when I'm on my trike is a serious problem -- especially large vehicles next to me often can't see me so I need to be ready at all times for vehicles to move in on me and make sure I don't get pinned against something. But I've also ridden that in pretty gnarly situations for over a decade with no real problems. BTW, that one is particularly nice on super slick roads, but you have to mind the cars sliding around.
I always ride with the assumption that people don't see me -- I'm wrong at least 99.9% of the time -- but I'm ready when they don't.
Old 03-20-19, 11:43 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
A lot of people who want to get into cycling have a hard time coming up with $150 for a bike let alone a helmet. That probably makes up 90% of would be cyclists and why people complain about the cost of entry into cycling. Most people are fine with a $30 helmet that went through the same testing and certification to be sold.
We ride in different circles.

Ride safely. Ride long.
Old 03-20-19, 11:56 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Jewishcowboy
To those of you who thinks this isn't a big deal it is. You can get in an accident and possibly get a concussion or worse and then those shiny new wheels you got won't matter cause you might never ride again. If safety isn't important than you probably should't be riding
Love me some disc brakes when it starts to rain.
Old 03-21-19, 12:01 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

So, do the waves exclude yellow jacket bees, or trap them against one's head?
Probably both.

I'm guessing some bounce off but once they get in, you're screwed.
Old 03-21-19, 05:15 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
...the “Teaser” about this being the biggest advance in cycling over the past 30 years is over the top hype.
Can we give Trek some kind of "Maximum Hyperbole" award? They really outdid themselves and most every user of the English language on this one.
Old 03-21-19, 05:18 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Getting people to think this is new is Trek's real genius.
Actually it is Steve Job's real genius ... the folks at Trek stole that, too ...
Old 03-21-19, 06:09 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Also, does this fall under the MIPS patent?
Why would it? MIPs is a decoupling from the impact liner, this is an impact liner that allows slippage.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
A challenge - depth of pockets. Trek can almost certainly survive a suit (and quite likely drag it on past Smith's financial limitations). Actually I suspect they bought the rights from Smith.
WaveCel is patent pending and Trek is the exclusive licensee of the tech, not the holder; Trek certainly haven't bought the rights from Smith and I'm not sure that they'd be subject to a suit if Smith decided to pursue that route.
Old 03-21-19, 08:02 AM
mjac

A bit lower, but not really a problem. That it looks so unusual helps me stick out which provides a different type of visibility. Also, it's a really fast so I can pace traffic in situations that I wouldn't be able to on a race bike.

One the other hand, visibility when I'm on my trike is a serious problem -- especially large vehicles next to me often can't see me so I need to be ready at all times for vehicles to move in on me and make sure I don't get pinned against something. But I've also ridden that in pretty gnarly situations for over a decade with no real problems. BTW, that one is particularly nice on super slick roads, but you have to mind the cars sliding around.
I always ride with the assumption that people don't see me -- I'm wrong at least 99.9% of the time -- but I'm ready when they don't.
Okay, you like Recumbants.
Old 03-21-19, 10:26 AM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts

it occurs to me that riding low in a recumbent not only impairs your visibility to others, but also their visibility to you.
Old 03-21-19, 10:40 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

it occurs to me that riding low in a recumbent not only impairs your visibility to others, but also their visibility to you.
Correct. Here's a brief shot from a trip home sometime back when it was snowing at night.

Aside from not being able to look through vehicles, I cannot communicate nearly as effectively with drivers. Other specific challenges the trike presents are that I have 3 wheel tracks which makes dealing with holes/debris more problematic, I'm 30" wide which gives me less side clearance in general on both sides, and despite the way it looks, the handling is not nearly as responsive or precise as a race bike.

I adjust for all of these things -- you can't act the same on this thing as you would on a race bike. However, if you use your head, it's quite safe. I'm pretty sure I have fewer adventures in bad weather in the dark when mixing with traffic than a lot of people do riding a path when it's clear and sunny.

With very few exceptions, it is how you respond (or fail to respond) to conditions and not the conditions themselves that are dangerous.
Old 03-21-19, 10:44 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Okay, you like Recumbants.
I like getting around by my own power and love cycling. I also have 3 race bikes.

If I only could have one bike, it would be this one. Custom built for a 40+mile RT commute I had for over a decade, this thing has many refinements making it an excellent choice for bad weather, hills, and hauling gear. The custom designed steel rack only weighs 10oz with bolts and is just sufficient to hold the small (not large) panniers I use. It takes fenders, but I only have clearance for 23mm tires to keep things tight and aero because I never use anything else. Rear stays were extended 20mm so I won't kick my bags, the added length to the wheelbase gives it solid handling on high speed descents when I pull the fenders off. The newest but most ridden bike in my stable, this has over 70K miles on it.

I find regularly riding different kinds of bikes makes me a better cyclist all around.

Old 03-21-19, 11:11 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Custom built for a 40+mile RT commute I had for over a decade, this thing has many refinements making it an excellent choice for bad weather, hills, and hauling gear. ... but I only have clearance for 23mm tires to keep things tight and aero because I never use anything else.
does not compute, does not compute
Old 03-21-19, 11:22 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
does not compute, does not compute
Minimalist rig that does exactly what I need and nothing more.

Previous workhorse was a touring bike which was OK, but heavy and slow. This is way more fun.
Old 03-21-19, 11:25 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Minimalist rig that does exactly what I need and nothing more.

Previous workhorse was a touring bike which was OK, but heavy and slow. This is way more fun.
I get that you like your bike, but just can't imagine going into a custom shop and speccing a fendered bike for hauling gear, commuting and bad weather, but specifying that you don't want it to be able to take wider than 23mm tires.
Old 03-21-19, 11:46 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

I get that you like your bike, but just can't imagine going into a custom shop and speccing a fendered bike for hauling gear, commuting and bad weather, but specifying that you don't want it to be able to take wider than 23mm tires.
The bike is for me and no one else -- I wanted a practical commuter I could take in anything with the soul of a race bike. Most commuting bikes are way overbuilt by my perspective.

When I started my long commute with a touring bike, I started with 28's, then dropped to 25's, and then to 23's. Just a teeny bit lighter for tires/fenders and I like tight lines. I know I'll never mount bigger tires, so I don't even want the option. I'm not sure I've carried 5 lbs and know I'll never even bust 10, so I don't even want the capacity. I do ride in a lot of slop (I chew up a set of rims pretty much every year), so I wanted real fenders -- though I wanted them tight. This thing is also built for my 140lb weight, the steer tube is cut, and it's not going to be something anyone other than me likes. But my experience is that if you really know what you need, you don't need anything else.

If I were having it built today, I'd probably go disc brakes, IGH, and belt drive since I also go through lots of tranny components as well as rims, but the tech wasn't quite where I wanted at the time this was built. Even after all this time, I love every ride on this thing.
Old 03-21-19, 11:46 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
One can haul gear with 23mm tires, although I've moved to favoring 25mm tires.

One can add fenders to a bike with narrow tires, although I've been running fenderless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.