Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I'm a human being

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

I'm a human being

Old 04-20-19, 05:21 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer
FWIW I ride with Tom in NYC and I assert that that he is a VERY aware cyclist...
Originally Posted by noglider
Thank you, Andy. I didn't think to say it, but I really am more aware than most people. Every time something happens, I add it to my repertoire of things to check.

When I come to an intersection, for example, I check for so many things that I couldn't verbalize them all. The same is true for a huge number of situations.
I am focused on awareness when I ride too, in a systematic way, to keep my attention up.

I have posted to several threads about my “Safety Aphorisms”:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I liked these posts by @berner (also from the Northeast Megalopolis) about the fundamental use of mirrors, furthermore of the safety mindset I employ:
Originally Posted by berner
I'm a firm believer that experience is the best teacher and it does not have to be your own experience. Just as much can be learned from evaluating how others may have screwed up.

With this in mind, learning of the misadventures of others, as in A&S, can be valuable provided we really pay attention.

Now really paying attention is a large category. Part of it is not only being visible but how our visibility changes depending on clothing worn and shade...
Originally Posted by berner
Anticipating is one thing to work on to improve our safety but the act of paying attention is equally important

I believe I know how to keep myself safe, or safer, on a bike but I don't know how that might be taught. Being hyper alert is not a characteristic we are born with. It is a characteristic to work on improving.
conguent with my post earlier:
…I was hit from behind by a “distracted” (? inebriated) hit and run driver on an otherwise seemingly safe and peaceful route. By good fortune, I’m alive and relatively unimpaired.

Over the past few months I have come to realize that my safety aphorisms, collected over the years by personal or vicarious experience, are my way of actively aligning the stars in my favor, to anticipate those unseen and otherwise unanticipated dangers.

FWIW, for my own information at least, my other aphorisms beside those above are:

• Make yourself as visible as possible,and assume nobody sees you.
  • …[follow this link]
  • Jim’s Law of the Road: “No matter how well-paved and lightly traveled the Road, a vehicle is likely to pass on the left as you encounter an obstacle on the right.”…my argument to wear a rearview mirror.
Those are all I remember for now, and they all pop-up in my mind as I encounter the situation.
In my mind, anticipation is a major component of “paying attention," especially facilitated by a mirror. Visibility is my first aphorism, but obviously also depends on the mindset of someone else (the motorist).

FWIW, my posts to Bikeforums are what they are worth as a decades-long year-round lifestyle cyclist, including urban commuting, but I have been cited as a good source:
Originally Posted by Stun
My experience is that people drive differently in every city and treat cyclists very differently. The best advice often comes from cyclists that live the closest to you

The exception here would also be Jim from Boston--anyone that can successfully commute around Boston has my full respect and probably knows how to deal with about every intersection imaginable!
Originally Posted by chefisaac
LISTEN to @Jim from Boston

he knows his $hit!

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-20-19 at 05:39 AM.
Old 04-22-19, 11:23 AM
SuperRecord

Bikes: Giant ARX2...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beeps in NYC are mostly white noise machines.
Old 04-22-19, 11:23 AM
TricycleTom

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
When I got passed too close, I chased the guy down to a fresh red light and gave him a very high-volume lecture on what would happen if he hit me. All about damage to his truck, and the blood and guts and bones in his wheelwells - just as gross as I could get. I kept an eye on the cross caution, to finish up with "and that's not to mention the PAPERWORK." He really looked ill.
Old 04-22-19, 12:25 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Just now realized I've not heard anyone honking at me in a very long time. Can't possibly be because drivers all recognize my superior skills on a bike. I still see incredible ridiculous traffic mayhem and nonsense daily. But I don't hear the honking. Must have tuned it out. Not losing my hearing either. Still hear what's important. It must be I tuned it out. Cannot tell you how to achieve same result.
Old 04-22-19, 01:13 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Wait but did he even honk? Road rage doesn't have to be pure aggression. Passive-aggression can get a person further, with more plausible deniability. Think of it as road rage for the embittered middle class. Some people, particularly taxi drivers, seem to like to play mind games with others on the road. The mention of a honk and the opportunistic blame-point could be gaslighting, and it's far from the worst road-gaslighting I've seen in the Boston area.

The typical game is such: Boston/Cambridge/Somerville drivers conveniently have such horrible short-term memories that in a traffic dispute on the street, no matter who references some past event, it might as well be fake news to the other person. Cheap shots and passing blame ensue. The amnesia is just a strategy to make the other person in a traffic dispute feel petty. Usually they're unnecessarily aggressive and provoke responses, and then follow with a sarcastic response when you get upset. "Oh I'm so sorry I've offended you, I had no idea I've upset your frail sensibilities" seems to be the message they give off around here. But cars dehumanize people.

I couldn't take it, the third year I was here I started cracking at their provocation and engaging with them, and that's why I started listening to music and using a "Take-A-Look" rear view mirror on my commute. Music helps me stay detached and calm in the face of these mind games and the mirror gives me a calming sense of omniscience, not to mention the added safety benefit. High quality rain gear and an expensive handlebar bag also make me a lot less annoyed. Basically my ride wasn't a treat, so I made it into one.
Old 04-22-19, 07:12 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Perhaps the driver beeped you just to let you know he was passing you and so you would not move left whilst he was doing so? Sounds like he was concerned that you could not hear traffic sounds.

Cheers
Old 04-22-19, 10:55 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

On my commute back home this evening through the pouring rain, listening to MIA (ya know that song with the guns and the cash register for percussion), I developed an opinion. I know I shouldn't fan these flames, but I think I should make a point from my perspective as an automotive gearhead as well as a cyclist. Headphone critics, hear me out.

My buddy Ian had a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow II, with double-glazed windows and other fancy sound-deadening from factory. It really did live up to the famous Rolls Royce advertisement, which stated that "at 60 miles an hour the loudest noise in the new Rolls-Royce comes from the electric clock." Cars have varying degrees of sound deadening. There are, to my knowledge, no laws about it. In Ian's Rolls, you needed to drive with your eyes only. This calls for extra vigilance and caution. Couldn't rely on your ears for anything, really. So if you're riding a bike with headphones, it's the same game. That's how I approach it. Conversely, Having a law against headphone use on a bike is like having a law that says if you drive a Rolls you have to have a window cracked.
Old 04-22-19, 11:21 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
If I had possessed a couple grand back in 1984 I could have owned a right hand drive Silver Ghost from the AMC/Jeep-Toyota dealership in Pendleton, Oregon and I would have been the baddest rural mail delivery driver EVAH. I am Postman, hear me roar.
Old 04-23-19, 09:27 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Perhaps the driver beeped you just to let you know he was passing you and so you would not move left whilst he was doing so? Sounds like he was concerned that you could not hear traffic sounds.
Drivers definitely do this regularly here. It's not a good practice as we already know they are there. It is generally taken as being hostile since there is no real reason for it.
Old 04-23-19, 02:18 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,413 Times in 2,522 Posts
Late to the party, scanned the top half or so of the thread...

Tom, which ear was your bud in? Curbside or streetside? When I have one broken bud, I listen curbside only, but even with two working buds, I always hear traffic fine -- in fact quite often my podcast is drowned out by a passing truck or brodozer.

Backing up though, did you write the OP in that way because it was kind of an out-of-body experience for you, like your adrenaline took over, and you didn't quite realize what all happened until after?
Old 04-23-19, 02:21 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Oh yeah...

I beep you.

Old 04-24-19, 07:34 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I heard some amazing stuff said today, and now I realize, I was the one who said it. I can scarcely believe what I heard and what happened.

I was riding my bike home on W 11 St. I was listening to audio in ONE earbud which is both legal in NY State and reasonable in my view. A taxi drove right by my elbow and could have shaved hair off my arm. I yelled HEY, and he did turn his face towards me, but he proceeded ahead of me. He got caught in traffic at the next block because a car was backing into a parking space. I yelled in his window, and he opened it. I said, "I'm a human being."

The taxi driver said, "You have to take the plugs out. I beep you."

I told him, "I can hear you fine," and pointed to my unobstructed ear. I guess he thought that beeping means I must move over for him and if I don't, he can endanger me.

I said, "I depend on you for my life. I'm a human being." He smiled and nodded. I think he understood. When I passed him at the next block, I waved thanks to him.
I doubt he got it, he just placated you so he could move on and get more fares.
Old 04-25-19, 09:24 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Also: did he actually beep you? In your retelling your first experience was the close-pass.
Old 04-25-19, 09:59 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Beep and Wave

For a time about a year ago, my inbound ride once on a military post corresponded to the routine passing of a metro commuter bus. The driver would give me a "toot" as he passed, and I would give him a "wave". We bonded over this.

I don't seem to be aligned with that bus route any longer, or the driver changed, or something.

I miss the good old days...
Old 04-25-19, 01:25 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7338 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,423 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Late to the party, scanned the top half or so of the thread...

Tom, which ear was your bud in? Curbside or streetside? When I have one broken bud, I listen curbside only, but even with two working buds, I always hear traffic fine -- in fact quite often my podcast is drowned out by a passing truck or brodozer.

Backing up though, did you write the OP in that way because it was kind of an out-of-body experience for you, like your adrenaline took over, and you didn't quite realize what all happened until after?

Pretty much, yes.

The cab driver claimed he beeped me, and I didn't hear the beeps, so that is my fault.

Still, my point is that when someone does something wrong, that is not a reason to do something wrong back, especially when it endangers or frightens the person.

@greatscott, maybe he just placated me. But that's a good thing. He didn't call me any names or threaten me further. He took a peaceful stance, which was precisely what I was after.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-26-19, 02:10 AM
RicePudding

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR GX 1 (2018), Giant Talon 2 (2010, RIP)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just my 2p:

I also occasionally use a single earpiece on my commute in the curbside ear, that said I live in a suburban area where the roads aren't heavily congested and half of my route involves bridleway and cycle paths.

I generally also listen to spoken word podcasts at a sensible volume, I don't feel like this makes me unaware of my surroundings or inconsiderate, I can still hear other road users and everything going on in the time that I do spend on the roads.

I agree that two earphones blocking your hearing of others around you generally puts you at risk though.

Apologies in advance if this makes me an idiot.

Last edited by RicePudding; 04-26-19 at 03:40 AM.
Old 04-26-19, 11:35 AM
scarlson 

The cab driver claimed he beeped me, and I didn't hear the beeps, so that is my fault.
I'm tellin you man, I bet he was totally gaslighting and didn't honk at all. It's the hip new road rage. Don't feel bad, everyone's at it.
Old 04-26-19, 12:54 PM
Skaughtto
Commuter

Bikes: Domane 2.0, CrossRip LTD

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Seems like the solution you're looking for is Bluetooth speaker in a water bottle cage -

You can get your music fix and make drivers more aware of your presence. It's certainly an overlooked safety feature that's right up there with lights and high vis clothing. When a driver rolls up next to you, turn it up and say, "I can't hear you!"

Plus more useful features:

Cheers!
Old 04-26-19, 02:43 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
I'm tellin you man, I bet he was totally gaslighting and didn't honk at all. It's the hip new road rage. Don't feel bad, everyone's at it.
I would not be at all surprised by this.
Old 04-26-19, 02:55 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7338 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,423 Posts
I don't care that he may not have honked at me. It ended OK, as far as I'm concerned.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider: