Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

530 or 830? If money were not an issue?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

530 or 830? If money were not an issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-19, 03:44 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
@Trsnrtr

Don't order a new 1030.

Contact Garmin. They'll fix it or replace it (with a refurb) for a low flat rate. They haven't updated the page for the 1030 but the 1000 is $130. Probably you'll save a few hundred dollars.
A year or two back....they were wanting more like $175 to out-of-warranty-replacement my E1K and ship it. That public rate is long since out of date. Mine had a cracked rubber-gasket on the power button so it was no longer water tight. $175 for out of warranty replacement due to a crapped out piece of rubber.

I ended up selling it for a song to a mate who lives in KC (and going Wahoo over it)...he walked into and out of Garmin's HQ down in KC with a new/refurb E1K same day--for much less than what they quote.
Old 05-07-19, 08:19 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
@Trsnrtr

Don't order a new 1030.

Contact Garmin. They'll fix it or replace it (with a refurb) for a low flat rate. They haven't updated the page for the 1030 but the 1000 is $130. Probably you'll save a few hundred dollars.
Thanks for reminding me. I did that many years ago with a 305.

Old 05-08-19, 03:07 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
Money is not that much of a non issue, and I did look at the 1030 too, but It's now 2 years old tech.
Size matters, once you use a big screen it's hard to go back to the smaller ones. Functionally it will get an update that matches the new versions so nothing really obsolete about the 1030 until the 1040 comes out anyway.
Likes For srode1:
Old 05-08-19, 03:49 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by srode1
Size matters, once you use a big screen it's hard to go back to the smaller ones. Functionally it will get an update that matches the new versions so nothing really obsolete about the 1030 until the 1040 comes out anyway.

You guys are evil ;-)

I think I'll go with the 1030. No touch screen issues right?
Old 05-08-19, 04:23 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
You guys are evil ;-)

I think I'll go with the 1030. No touch screen issues right?
Yep, no issues here with the touch screen. You will thank us when you get it and start using it, thanks for letting us help you spend your money!
Old 05-09-19, 09:40 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
on 1030 I can use map and connect IQ data fields that shows 8 data inside the 2 available fields, I was able to cram all the data I need (power, cadence, HR, speed, etc) while still have a huge map, it would not be possible on the smaller screen of 530/830
Old 05-10-19, 10:06 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
What were the issues with the 820 screen?
It is generally believed that the 820 touch screen issues were a supplier manufacturing issue with one of Garmin's multiple suppliers. Some early 820 touch screens were a problem. Most were not. My first-month-of-production 820 has given me absolutely no problems of any kind. The touch screen has always been great. [For those who know . . . wasn't the problem a hyper sensitivity of the touch screen? The defective screens would respond to rain and/or sweat droplets, if I recall. Mine never did.]

For me, on paved roads, the size of the 820 screen has always been ample for navigation -- and I'm an old guy, so my eyesight isn't the greatest. On open range gravel races though (as recently as two weeks ago), the small 820 screen size made it difficult to differentiate complicated road/trail splits. (Right angles would never be a problem for me -- only the rare events when the alternate roads/trails were a knotted bundle of snakes.) I went off course three times. The 820 alerted me to my errors pretty quickly, but I would rather have not made the errors in the first place. For that reason, I've been slightly tempted to switch to the 1030. Only the size of the 1030 and its price have kept me away. In my experience, the 820 touch screen is excellent. It's worth the extra cost over the 530, in my opinion. I'm not worried about the 830's or 1030's touch screen.

The 830's screen is bigger than that of the 820. I'm going to give the 830 a try.
Old 05-26-19, 11:03 PM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
Of the two I would choose 530. I have a 520 and its great. If you need navigation go 830. If money isn’t a variable I would go 1030 in a heartbeat.
Originally Posted by Iride01
Money is no object right? Get the 1030 now, when the 1040 comes out you can get that if it has something new you just gotta have.
Originally Posted by Jazzguitar
Absolutely agree. Garmin takes a year + to work out the bugs, never buy a new product unless you want to be a beta tester.

I got a 1030 in January and I absolutely love it. Maps and navigating is light years beyond my old 520.
Originally Posted by srode1
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
on 1030 I can use map and connect IQ data fields that shows 8 data inside the 2 available fields, I was able to cram all the data I need (power, cadence, HR, speed, etc) while still have a huge map, it would not be possible on the smaller screen of 530/830
All you evil guys, I owe you a huge thanks. Just got them, and the 1030 is by far the best bike computer I have seen. Ticks all the boxes.

Touchscreen not absolutely great, like a good phone, but certainly usable. The mapping with elevation is great, and FINALLY Garmin made the change that I have been asking from the days of the 305 or 500. Making the elevation page adjustable on both axes.

Also, while the Wahoo still beats Garmin in initial set up, this is not that bad with a touchscreen, as against the earlier ones where changing data fields with buttons, which was a PITA.

Likes For deepakvrao: