Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Using Strobes on the Trail

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Using Strobes on the Trail

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-19, 02:49 AM
CharlieChuckles

Bikes: 1977 Fuji S10-S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, long thread. Southwest Bike Trail here in Madison does have that flasher problem once in a while but it's not that bad. Trail gets a lot of commuters through inner town. My problem is the group rides of a dozen or more bikes. I stop and get off the trail to let them pass coming or going.
Old 06-25-19, 11:21 AM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions

If someone is going to run a red light to roll over a crosswalk, do you really think a flashing strobe is going to stop them? How would that even work? It's pointing the wrong way.
Did not run the light, was oncoming traffic, attempted left cross.
Old 06-25-19, 11:24 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
That's great, turn your light off after you leave the intersection and re-enter the trail.
Likes For Spoonrobot:
Old 06-25-19, 11:33 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
There's no good reason for strobes on a MUP, users of such fall into the following categories:

1. Was riding on the road and forgot to turn off when they got on the MUP
2. Use strobes 24/7 as a magic talisman to ward off any and all bad things that can happen to cyclists
3. "Look at me" pea-cocking

Users who should have strobes on the MUP:

1. Small children
2. Dogs
3. Pedestrians practicing drunkard's walk interpretive locomotion
It was pointed out to me by someone elsewhere that a small strobe or light helps him see riders rider approaching in the shade while he is in the sun. He is an older guy, probably more that 60 and wears glasses.

At 55 and effectively blind in one eye, I had to concede his point. Similarly, he conceded that there is a point, like everything else in life, where it becomes overkill.

Everyone wants to turn everything into a binary argument, intrinsic evil vs the beatific vision. I think there is room to compromise, even if the compromise isn't exactly as we would have it.

FWIW, I got on the trail last Saturday and forgot to turn off my L&M Urban 900 which was set on low/pulse. I rode several miles with some of the MACC guys until one asked me what kind of light it was - probably a polite way to suggest that I turn it off. Doh!

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 06-25-19 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-25-19, 02:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
It was pointed out to me by someone elsewhere that a small strobe or light helps him see riders rider approaching in the shade while he is in the sun. He is an older guy, probably more that 60 and wears glasses.

At 55 and effectively blind in one eye, I had to concede his point. Similarly, he conceded that there is a point, like everything else in life, where it becomes overkill.

Everyone wants to turn everything into a binary argument, intrinsic evil vs the beatific vision. I think there is room to compromise, even if the compromise isn't exactly as we would have it.

FWIW, I got on the trail last Saturday and forgot to turn off my L&M Urban 900 which was set on low/pulse. I rode several miles with some of the MACC guys until one asked me what kind of light it was - probably a polite way to suggest that I turn it off. Doh!

-Tim-
Like I've said above, it's strictly the combination of bright and fast strobing that's creating the problems. Slow blink rate is fine.
Old 06-27-19, 07:43 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I encountered a path moron today. Not one but two high intensity strobes. This under sunny skies and on an open path. The lights didn't appear too bad at first, but when I got into the focal area of his left light, it left me seeing spots for a few minutes. I guess these are the same kind of idiots that run around in boats with led light bars and a spotlight blaring everywhere they go.
Old 06-27-19, 09:08 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
What ever happened to conversation and discussion?

It seem to me that one could simply ride up next to a person with a bright light and say, "Hey, that's a pretty bright light!" and have a conversation from there. If the person listens then you have won a friend. If not then your conscience will be clean.

Instead, nowadays we just go to the internet and call people morons and idiots.
Old 06-27-19, 01:06 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

It seem to me that one could simply ride up next to a person with a bright light and say, "Hey, that's a pretty bright light!" and have a conversation from there. If the person listens then you have won a friend. If not then your conscience will be clean.

Huh? This is pretty much only a problem when we're passing in opposite directions, so now I have to do a u-turn with my vision a little messed up, catch up to the guy and start a conversation? No thanks, I just tell them firmly but without insult to turn it off as we close the distance. My conscience is fine--it's the level of discourse appropriate to the situation. I've actually seen people look surprised it was bothering people and turn the thing off.
Old 06-27-19, 04:04 PM
Erubi

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Day or night, high powered strobes are simply not needed on the rail trail out in the middle of nowhere.
I totally agree. Total distraction and annoying as hell. I wondered if those things could cause someone to have a seizure?
Old 06-27-19, 07:46 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

I am pretty quick to strike up a conversation when the whole of the circumstances tell me it's the right thing to do. It wasn't the right thing to do with this moron.
Old 08-26-19, 06:06 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
That's an incredibly selfish view to take. The same could be said of me burning my brights on a motor vehicle during the day.
I think we just figured out who those people are though. It's the same people that are selfish on the MUP's
Old 08-26-19, 06:11 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts

-Tim-
the L&M pulse mode is attention grabbing without distracting, annoying, irritating, blinding, causing brain malfunctions, etc.....

in my opinion it should be the standard for all bicycle lighting.

that and a horizon cut off. there is no reason why a cyclist light should shine as bright above the handle bars!
Old 08-27-19, 05:01 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Al_in_NH
If my lights annoy you it's because you see them. If you see them you wont run into me. If you don't run into me, I will enjoy my ride more than if you do.
So when you are driving your car at night you leave your high beams on all the time I guess?
Good stuff
Old 08-27-19, 05:24 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
I just picked up a couple of mini LED's that have the strobe feature. The rear red is 8 Lumens and the front clear is 18 Lumens.
I had no idea how some fellow cyclists felt about seeing them flashing but I'll be sure to limit the their use for the streets only.
I actually saw a few on the trail yesterday. Didn't find them annoying at all but then again it was a very sunny day.....

Last edited by Speedway2; 08-27-19 at 05:27 AM.
Old 08-27-19, 07:16 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
At this very moment I am charging my 45,000 lumen headlight. I have to work late today so it will be dark for my evening commute. Can't wait to have some fun on the MUP. I'm going to put the light on strobe mode and blast the B-52's "Strobe Light" through my blue tooth speaker.
Old 08-27-19, 08:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
At this very moment I am charging my 45,000 lumen headlight. I have to work late today so it will be dark for my evening commute. Can't wait to have some fun on the MUP. I'm going to put the light on strobe mode and blast the B-52's "Strobe Light" through my blue tooth speaker.
Don't take the brown acid.
Old 08-27-19, 03:29 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I've never found it necessary to use a strobe on the rail trail. Nor a taillight, except when it was close to dark. The lights on my bike are primarily to alert car drivers to my presence, and other cyclists or pedestrians will see and hear me coming soon enough.
Old 08-27-19, 04:00 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Maybe these hi-intensity strobe lights good for bear defence......
Old 08-27-19, 04:45 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I'm going to be late leaving work today too. I'm going to dress all in black and not use any lights for the trip home, and may throw caution to the wind and keep left too.
Old 08-28-19, 08:57 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Speedway2
Maybe these hi-intensity strobe lights good for bear defence......
They will stop a pit bull in its tracks.
Old 08-28-19, 11:34 AM
Al_in_NH

Bikes: Cannondale Cataylist, Giant Toughroad, Specialized Sequoia, KHS Fatbike, Electra Loft

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
So when you are driving your car at night you leave your high beams on all the time I guess?
Good stuff
You just crashed didn't you? There's no other explanation for that kind of idiotic logic other than sever head trauma. I truly hope you feel better soon.
Old 08-28-19, 11:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Al_in_NH
You just crashed didn't you? There's no other explanation for that kind of idiotic logic other than sever head trauma. I truly hope you feel better soon.
Your logic was "If my lights annoy you it's because you see them." If you say something that stupid, you have no business insulting other people's logic.

I see lots of lights, and I'm often informed of people's positions by them. The vast majority of those do not annoy me in the slightest and they are highly effective at promoting safety. If your lights annoy me, it is because they are aimed at my eyes in such a way as to actually impair my vision and they are bright and possibly strobing.

@downhillmaster was absolutely right to say your logic would justify shining high-beams into the eyes of oncoming drivers. If you're aiming bright flashing strobes that can be seen from a half mile in broad daylight directly into the eyes of oncoming cyclists in an effort to be seen, your strategy is self-defeating. All you're doing is making sure that the oncoming cyclist cannot look at you while you close the distance--exactly the same reason that running high beams when there's a car approaching from the other direction is illegal.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-28-19, 11:59 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Please don't turn this into a complain thread.

I'd simply like to ask those of you who use high powered strobe lights on the rail trails to please stop.

I'm not talking about crowded, meandering inner-city MUPs where crowds of pedestrians might make a flasher appropriate. I'm talking about high powered stobes out on long rail trails in the middle of nowhere where there are only cyclists.

I'm also not talking about the little diode on the front of your GPS or some other very low powered light but high powered LED lights on strobe setting.

They are simply not needed. Beyond that, they also interrupt the vision of cyclists coming the other way.

As a courtesy to other cyclists please turn your high powered strobes when you get to the trail. Thanks.

-Tim-
What makes this extra-frustrating is that every year, LEDs get brighter and more efficient, and batteries become smaller and lighter for the same capacity. So there's really no good reason for lights to strobe at all when they could just be a steady visible brightness that lasts for hours and hours...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 08-28-19, 12:48 PM
Al_in_NH

Bikes: Cannondale Cataylist, Giant Toughroad, Specialized Sequoia, KHS Fatbike, Electra Loft

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Your logic was "If my lights annoy you it's because you see them." If you say something that stupid, you have no business insulting other people's logic.

I see lots of lights, and I'm often informed of people's positions by them. The vast majority of those do not annoy me in the slightest and they are highly effective at promoting safety. If your lights annoy me, it is because they are aimed at my eyes in such a way as to actually impair my vision and they are bright and possibly strobing.

@downhillmaster was absolutely right to say your logic would justify shining high-beams into the eyes of oncoming drivers. If you're aiming bright flashing strobes that can be seen from a half mile in broad daylight directly into the eyes of oncoming cyclists in an effort to be seen, your strategy is self-defeating. All you're doing is making sure that the oncoming cyclist cannot look at you while you close the distance--exactly the same reason that running high beams when there's a car approaching from the other direction is illegal.
Stop assuming I am using a 5000 lumen high intensity strobe just so you have something to argue about. I stepped out of this thread more than a month ago because it turned idiotic. Don't try and drag me back into it. I use a light so I can be seen. I also use a bell, and I say on your left, I thank people when they move out of the way. While I would like it if other people would announce when they pass my wife and me, it's not the end of the world. We realize that some people Strava time is more important than our safety. The bottom line is, I am a courteous and polite path rider. I want to go ride my bikes with my wife safely. If you want to argue, find someone else to play with. I did not join this forum to fight or argue.

Last edited by Al_in_NH; 08-28-19 at 12:57 PM.
Likes For Al_in_NH:
Old 08-28-19, 12:49 PM
Bikeloverr

Bikes: sedona

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.