Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Lights: How bright is actually practical?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Lights: How bright is actually practical?

Old 07-01-19, 12:48 PM
friedduck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I over buy so that I can run a light on medium or even low and get a ton of run time. Then when it’s truly dark and I need it I’m good.

So I definitely want the higher output but not for the reason you’d think. (I only have to re-charge every 3-4 rides I’d say.)
Old 07-01-19, 01:21 PM
ScubaBob

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aiming your lightas high blinds oncoming cars

Originally Posted by TimothyH
I don't believe there is a practical limit to brightness as long as the beam is shaped and aimed properly.

Motor vehicle headlights drown out my bike lights as they approach from the rear. 1850 lumens on my bike is inconsequential compared to the thousands of lumens put out by modern automotive systems as a car passes.

It is certainly possible to buy a bicycle lighting system which overpowers automotive headlamps but this thread asked about practicality, not possiblity. Most would not consider such a system practical from either a cost or form factor standpoint.

Running 2000 lumens would be possible for under $250 - two Light & Motion Urban 1000 lights, one on the bar and another on the helmet. This is probably close to what many would consider the practical limit and the vast majority of automotive systems are much brighter. Certainly the OP's 700 lumen light is nowhere near the practical limit.

-Tim-
May I give another perspective on this thread? Please don't dismiss me. While I do ride, I also live on a curving, up and down hillside road. I also drive it in car. I do find quite a few people on bikes, at dusk or night, with high intensity lamps aimed high. While this approach does illuminate the far side of gullies, it also blinds approaching car drivers. Cars could do the same thing, raising their headlamps, better able to see road on far side of gullies, blinding people on bikes.Aiming is important.
Old 07-01-19, 01:34 PM
Steeler_fanatic

Bikes: 2022 Trek Émonda SLR 6 eTap, 2018 Trek Domane ALR 5, 1974 Batavis Tour de l’Europe

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Must be a very personal thing. Bright enough for me is apparently a lot less than most people. I don't use a headlight for commuting since there is enough light for me to see where I'm going, and I honestly don't understand the need for a "be seen" headlight. I figure it's my job to avoid running into things. For road riding I have ridden thousands of miles in the dark with an Ixon IQ on low and have never really felt the need for anything brighter.
I ride a lot of rural, lightly traveled two lane roads in daylight and I use a front flashing front light to alert drivers in the opposing lane of possible scenarios such as...
- Cars may pass me and encroach partially into their lane (hopefully they slow to allow the passing to complete safely).
- I'm in a turn lane about to make a turn (they are more aware that I am there).
- To give pause to drivers in the opposing lane that may be thinking about passing a slower vehicle via my lane.
- To alert a texting or otherwise distracted driver*

All of this of course is aspirational on my part as I have no control over drivers and what they may choose to do. But it is my way of reducing the risk in a manner within my control.

*I recently ran across a driver who was texting (I think) that looked up as they were drifting half way into my lane. They jerked the car back into their lane I believe in part due to the light.
Old 07-01-19, 02:28 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by MEversbergII
I currently ride with a Cygolite Metro 700. I have not had a whole lot of night-riding lately, but I remember doing a few a couple months back and thinking the light was quite awesome and did a good job of illuminating my path at it's nominal 700 lumen output.

Cygolite (and others) make even higher lumen lights, however - upwards of some 1,100 lumen in the Cygolite Metro 1100 (and other unknown brands seem to claim even higher than that on theirs). Between these two are plenty to choose from as well.

Is there much point into brighter lights than my current 700? Especially in the Metro line, having as it does the same relatively narrow emitter facing. A wider spread at a higher lumen (to maintain or improve lux) is understandable but not all of them appear to be so.
I kept getting brighter and brighter...I have a lezyne 1500XXL, which is capable of 1500 lums, which I like. But in some situations, I find myself wondering if it's too bright for on-coming traffic; don't know how to tell.
Old 07-01-19, 03:20 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Steeler_fanatic
I ride a lot of rural, lightly traveled two lane roads in daylight and I use a front flashing front light to alert drivers in the opposing lane of possible scenarios such as...
- Cars may pass me and encroach partially into their lane (hopefully they slow to allow the passing to complete safely).
- I'm in a turn lane about to make a turn (they are more aware that I am there).
- To give pause to drivers in the opposing lane that may be thinking about passing a slower vehicle via my lane.
- To alert a texting or otherwise distracted driver*
It will take a mountain of evidence to ever convince me that there is any safety benefit at all to daytime use of a flashing headlight on a bicycle, and so far I haven't seen any. Strobe lights on bikes are just annoying for no reason as far as I'm concerned.
Old 07-01-19, 03:52 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 107 Posts
it will take a mountain of evidence to ever convince me that there is any safety benefit at all to daytime use of a flashing headlight on a bicycle, and so far i haven't seen any. Strobe lights on bikes are just annoying for no reason as far as i'm concerned.
+1
Old 07-01-19, 04:05 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I have an over 1000lm helmet and an over 1000lm handlebar flashlight. They are adequate, but I never see myself running them at under 100%. Exception is if darkness surprises me far from home and I need to preserve battery. They only get an hour on 100%.

They are 2 years old, so if I needed to buy new now I'd hope to get at least 1,500lm.

I also would investigate larger than 18650 battery options for better run time.
Old 07-01-19, 04:50 PM
Steeler_fanatic

Bikes: 2022 Trek Émonda SLR 6 eTap, 2018 Trek Domane ALR 5, 1974 Batavis Tour de l’Europe

It will take a mountain of evidence to ever convince me that there is any safety benefit at all to daytime use of a flashing headlight on a bicycle, and so far I haven't seen any. Strobe lights on bikes are just annoying for no reason as far as I'm concerned.
You cut off the part of the post where I give a real life example where it likely did have a safety benefit. Oh well - to each their own..
Old 07-01-19, 05:19 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Steeler_fanatic
*I recently ran across a driver who was texting (I think) that looked up as they were drifting half way into my lane. They jerked the car back into their lane I believe in part due to the light.
Same thing happens to me when I'm not running lights. Does my lack of a strobe light cause distracted drivers to suddenly pay attention to the road in front of them?
Old 07-01-19, 08:18 PM
Steeler_fanatic

Same thing happens to me when I'm not running lights. Does my lack of a strobe light cause distracted drivers to suddenly pay attention to the road in front of them?
My common sense tells me the more visible you are, the more likely you will be seen. That’s all. I don’t need a scientific study to tell me that. If you are comfortable without a light, that’s fine with me.
Old 07-02-19, 05:13 PM
mrt2you

Bikes: trek 720 multitrack hybred, 92 trek 2300, 2010 specialized roubaix, 2014 specialized roubaix

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
It does not come with a clip. I think if you call Cygolite they will send you one that works with it. I seem to recall reading that in a review somewhere.
i just bought a Cygolite 200 1 month ago, upgraded from a 50. it is sold with a crappy rubber band strap you wrap around something. the clip that holds the band is easily removable so i swapped the rear bracket to clip into the 50's seat tube bracket.. i also emailed Cygolite and explained i was unhappy with the bracket and wanted one just like the one on the 50. i took a pic of both brackets and included them in my email. under 24 hours later Cygolite wanted my address to send me a what they called a "clothing" bracket and they shipped it to me USPS no charge. i think i got the bracket in 5 days after sending my address.
i now ride with both the 200 and the 50 on the back of my bike. i did have to buy, my choice, what they describe as a seat stay mount to mount the second light. i bought it directly from Cygolite. the bracket was $5 and shipping i think was $9.

Last edited by mrt2you; 07-02-19 at 05:29 PM.
Likes For mrt2you:
Old 07-03-19, 11:43 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by mrt2you
i just bought a Cygolite 200 1 month ago, upgraded from a 50. it is sold with a crappy rubber band strap you wrap around something. the clip that holds the band is easily removable so i swapped the rear bracket to clip into the 50's seat tube bracket.. i also emailed Cygolite and explained i was unhappy with the bracket and wanted one just like the one on the 50. i took a pic of both brackets and included them in my email. under 24 hours later Cygolite wanted my address to send me a what they called a "clothing" bracket and they shipped it to me USPS no charge. i think i got the bracket in 5 days after sending my address.
i now ride with both the 200 and the 50 on the back of my bike. i did have to buy, my choice, what they describe as a seat stay mount to mount the second light. i bought it directly from Cygolite. the bracket was $5 and shipping i think was $9.
So just checking, the seat stay mount works with the 200 then? If so I may do that.
Old 07-03-19, 04:55 PM
mrt2you

Bikes: trek 720 multitrack hybred, 92 trek 2300, 2010 specialized roubaix, 2014 specialized roubaix

when i bought the 200 it had a bracket like this.

the 50 has a bracket like this
pic of the brackets removed. to remove the brackets you stick a small pick or a SMALL screwdriver in the gap around the tab in the center, lift it up a little bit, then push it to the side.
the light look like this after removing the brackets.
the little tab seen in the 3rd pic snaps into the center groove in the above pic.
i emailed Cygolite, they responded the next business day. they sent me another what they call a "CLOTHING" bracket. i do NOT have any part # for the clothing bracket. i must have tossed it when i used it.
i had the clothing bracket in a week, NO CHARGE, after sending them my ship address.

Last edited by mrt2you; 07-03-19 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-03-19, 05:01 PM
mrt2you

pic of the seat post bracket from the 50. you can buy these directly from Cygolite for $5 + shipping if you don't already have one.

the arm on the 50 bracket in the pics above slides into the slot in the seat post bracket in this pic.
Old 07-03-19, 05:15 PM
mrt2you

just to clarify the above pic is a seat POST bracket.
this is a few pics of the seat STAY bracket, pn# 2013ss. the 2 look almost the same except the seat stay bracket clamp is much smaller. i bought the bracket for $5 + shipping. i bought 2 and had 1 ship charge.
according to the part #'s on the rear of the tag the seat POST bracket part # is 2014sm.

pic of the two brackets aligned up ready to slide together. .

pic of the 2 slid together almost to the retain catch on the bottom.

Last edited by mrt2you; 07-03-19 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-04-19, 01:02 AM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
My only complaint with the clip (vs the clamp) is that it slides free or nearly so a little too easily on its own. I usually hang it from the MOLLE strap on my backpack and it sometimes works itself nearly off when I'm just slinging the thing around.
Old 07-04-19, 03:46 AM
nocternum77

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used an 1100 lumen bike around London in the nights. It was pretty bright but believe it or not, a few times at cross roads, drivers literally missed me and just drove out so maybe it still wasn't blinding and bright enough...