Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Distance between breaks

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Distance between breaks

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-19, 09:54 AM
gnappi

Bikes: All are vintage... Schwinn 564, Cannondale Criterium 600, Cannondale F300 MB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
No breaks. I empty myself before going on a 12-14 mile ride, and sip water if I catch a traffic light.
Old 07-02-19, 09:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Totally depends on the ride.

Solo- I dont stop until I need water. 20-30mi- varies with weather/
Group of adults- I stop when others want to. I am almost always the most comfortable riding the farthest in the groups I ride with, so I roll with the schedule of others. Its usually 8-10mi between bar stops.
Group of teens- When I ride with the mentor group of teens, we stop at preselected locations. They are 12-19mi apart, depending on route.
My 8 and 12yo kids- when they want. We ride to find things(creeks, ice cream, playgrounds, etc) so we typically ride until we find what we planned to find.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-02-19, 04:03 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by wobrien
How far do you all tend to go before you take a break when riding? I typically don't take breaks and my longer rides tend to be in the 25 to 35 mile range. But, I recently started riding with my 13 year old daughter and she likes to take breaks, have some water and talk a little bit and back down the road she goes. Turns out that while I don't need the breaks physically I am enjoying them and the rides are much easier (partly because we are also riding slower than my typical pace). I am going to try adding them to my longer rides and hopefully those rides will be able to get even longer. So... I am interested in how you all take breaks while riding.
In temperate weather during daylight hours I stop long enough to urinate and refill my water bottles every 4-5 hours.

With changing temperature, sunrise, or sunset I add or remove warmer and more reflective clothing.

Riding all day, I get a few hundred calories of regular food around dinner time and sit to eat it.

When it's inferno like, I go as far as 50oz / 1.5 liters of water take me. That got down to an hour returning home over the Santa Cruz mountains on a sunny 105 degree day.
Old 07-02-19, 04:09 PM
wobrien

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 257 roberts
If I had a 13 year old daughter that wanted to ride with me and talk to me I would be willing to stop/go slow as much as she wanted to,the time you spend bonding is more vaulable than gold...those are the rides you will remember when your old and gray
You are exactly right and you said it better than I did. I hope that she will also carry these experiences with her long after I am gone.
Old 07-03-19, 08:39 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
was thinking about this thread the other day. a cpl 2 cents fwiw: it's helpful to learn how to "rest" while riding. take advantage of the easy sections by coasting & standing while rolling. sounds like common sense, but if you don't actually do it, you're not getting the benefit. also while standing/rolling I sometimes adjust my shorts. just a little tug on each leg of my trishorts is enough to reposition the shorts over any hair follicles & releases any tension on any creases & points of binding contact & helps keep chaffing to a minimum

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-03-19 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-03-19, 10:18 AM
wobrien

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
was thinking about this thread the other day. a cpl 2 cents fwiw: it's helpful to learn how to "rest" while riding. take advantage of the easy sections by coasting & standing while rolling. sounds like common sense, but if you don't actually do it, you're not getting the benefit. also while standing/rolling I sometimes adjust my shorts. just a little tug on each leg of my trishorts is enough to reposition the shorts over any hair follicles & releases any tension on any creases & points of binding contact & helps keep chaffing to a minimum
Your 2 cents were worth a lot, thank you. I like the idea of standing up while rolling give my legs a bit of a break. I tend to stay in the saddle and stretch one thigh at a time when they get a bit sore but coasting and standing sounds like a good trick to add to my rides. I haven't had trouble with my shorts since I have moved to bibs. I love bibs, maybe I just got a good pair but they are working fine.

I love getting good ideas from others. At my level I am focusing first on building distance and watching my speed. Given my age (55), weight (a little too much) and hills (rolling) I tend to ride in the low 15 mph range. I would like to add 1 or 2 MPH but I would rather keep adding distance. That is that created my interest in breaks. I haven't taken them until recently and they keep the ride from becoming a "death march" as someone else said. More enjoyability will mean more rides and more miles for me.

Thanks every one for participating. Looking forward to more responses.
Old 07-04-19, 06:05 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by wobrien
I love getting good ideas from others
yup & someday you'll pass them on yourself. I forget how long ago I read about resting & adjusting cycling shorts while rolling on this forum
Old 07-04-19, 10:16 AM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
Typically no breaks, but my rides cap out at 40-45 miles. That said, I've been known to need to stop and sit on a bench for a few at the 30-35 mile mark.
Old 07-06-19, 11:32 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Depends on how many cups of coffee I've had before the ride. And who I am riding with. I don't have any set rules, or any "usual" break times. If the ride has some good scenery, might stop to take a look, if not, just keep on going (unless coffee "rent" kicks in!) If it's extra hot/humid, there are more breaks than on cooler, less humid days. Too many factors to nail it down.
Old 07-06-19, 02:40 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
What qualifies as a break? Or how long do you need to be stopped to be considered taking a break?
Old 07-06-19, 03:22 PM
wobrien

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by devianb
What qualifies as a break? Or how long do you need to be stopped to be considered taking a break?

For me, if I have dismounted the bike then that is definitely a break. If I stopped with feet on the ground so that I catch my breath and get my heart rate down, or stop for a recreational purpose (enjoy the scenery, pet a horse, rest in the shade etc.) then that is a break. If I stop for a traffic light or to make a quick adjustment, figure out directions etc and quickly get back to riding then I do t consider that to be a break.
Old 07-06-19, 05:31 PM
mrt2you

Bikes: trek 720 multitrack hybred, 92 trek 2300, 2010 specialized roubaix, 2014 specialized roubaix

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
i wear a heart rate monitor, i also ride converted rails to trails that cross a lot of roads, so i usually get a 1-3 min break waiting for traffic every 3 or 4 miles. i have a nice trail system near my house. i can ride 150 miles on paved trails and only have to ride the road maybe 15 of those miles
i stretch before riding then ride hard until my Heart-rate, HR, gets to 145 or so then let up and try to keep it between 130-150 ish. if i go over low to mid 160's i get nasty head aches about 2-3 hours after the ride. it also depends on how long i stay over and how often i get over 160 with the HR. also my toes and fingers get numb if i go over 160 with the HR.
when the HR gets close to 150 i go down a gear and drop my cadence a bit and usually the HR does the same. when the HR doesn't go down at a the usual pace i then stop for 5-10 min or so until the HR gets to about 110ish. then i go again. i usually take 1 to 2 breaks a ride depending on the wind and how hard i worked during the day.
my rides are usually between 20-60 miles depending if after work or weekends. after work, 2 X a week, it's 20-30 miles. weekends, 1 day, it's 30-60 depending on the weather, mood and time available to ride. i try to ride at least 100 miles every week.
Old 07-06-19, 06:12 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Flat SW FL roads permit longer non-stop almost no coasting rides. Yesterday was 65 non-stop miles. If my Mo-Jo is going good on long home area rides then typically 100 miles before stopping. During April's 167 mile Cross Florida (https://spacecoastfreewheelers.com/xfl/) I always ride the first 100 miles non-stop. Six Gap is non-stop to Unicoi Gap at 46.6 miles and around 5,000'+ of climbing.

Aggressive Prostate Cancer and Cryoablation took care of my prostate so no pressure from that area and IMO, before TURP, a diet improvement and possible meds could reduce/eliminate the issue.
Old 07-06-19, 07:02 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 628 Times in 472 Posts
My two cents - I'll do about every thirty miles. That comes down to every hour and a half to two hours regardless of ride length. That's how often I should probably be drinking water so I plot out known water spots I can hit. Takes maybe five minutes off the bike.
Old 07-11-19, 05:10 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by 257 roberts
If I had a 13 year old daughter that wanted to ride with me and talk to me I would be willing to stop/go slow as much as she wanted to,the time you spend bonding is more vaulable than gold...those are the rides you will remember when your old and gray
^^^^^ This. Time enough for the other type of ride!
Also, she's young. The last thing I think you would want to do is turn her off. My daughter is a soccer player. I offer her opportunities to play together, and we do frequently, but I don't push, except when I tease her and tell her to take a lap, (but she asked me to do that). She has now taken to practicing on her own when I'm busy or not around. One of her besties was really pushed into practicing tennis by her dad. But once she started winning matches, she really put the hammer down, by herself. I think you have to go by feel, and understand your kid.
Boy doesn't that sound brilliant...
Likes For Last ride 76:
Old 07-11-19, 07:01 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
+1. And pee, although that doesn't always work out well. The other day I stopped for a nature break while touring in Montana and got attacked by at least a dozen mosquitoes.
That could lead to some interesting saddle problems....
Old 07-12-19, 08:14 AM
wobrien

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
^^^^^ This. Time enough for the other type of ride!
Also, she's young. The last thing I think you would want to do is turn her off. My daughter is a soccer player. I offer her opportunities to play together, and we do frequently, but I don't push, except when I tease her and tell her to take a lap, (but she asked me to do that). She has now taken to practicing on her own when I'm busy or not around. One of her besties was really pushed into practicing tennis by her dad. But once she started winning matches, she really put the hammer down, by herself. I think you have to go by feel, and understand your kid.
Boy doesn't that sound brilliant...
Last night's ride ended up having nothing to do with speed (none of them have but this was a pretty slow and enjoyable ride.) She started taking the down hills by standing up on the pedals and coasting. Her long hair was blowing in the wind and she had a big smile on her face. I first thought "let's go pedal" but that quickly changed to "this is her ride and she is having a ball, let her go." So I also stood up on my pedals and coasted along next to her. It was a blast!!! For a few short moments she helped me to be a kid again. Nothing in the world can replace that experience. My cup runneth over.
Old 07-12-19, 09:02 AM
55murray

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
For a metric or over I like to get off the bike and stroll around a bit (maybe 3-5 minutes) every 20 miles or so. The other thing I might do is just grab a pop and cruise slowly around these little western Indiana towns for a bit in low gear before hitting the open road for the next town. I keep my old suicide lever brakes just for this purpose. This kills my Strava though...
Old 07-12-19, 02:12 PM
linnefaulk

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
When the traffic signals force me to. At least that was on today’s ride.
Old 07-12-19, 04:10 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I take breaks where the facilities are even if I don't need one. Water and pee breaks.