Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Polar v650 USB problem

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Polar v650 USB problem

Old 07-08-15, 03:50 PM
Grahamlund

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Polar v650 USB problem

hi I'm having trouble with my new polar v650.
Trying to sync it to polar flow using the flow sync software provided on the website.

But i keep getting the error message connection lost check USB cable.
The cable is fine as everything works how it should in my girlfriends Mac.

The problem is just that my windows 8.1 pc doesn't recognise that there is anything in the USB port it charges but no data transfer.
I know the ports work fine as I have checked that my phone works in them.

The polar website only offers trouble shooting for sync problems once the device is connected but I can't even get that far the driver software just isn't recognised and doesn't instal. There isn't even evidence of the v650 in the Device manager function on my PC.

Has anybody experienced this before?
Can anybody help?
Old 07-08-15, 08:41 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For some reason, your PC does not see the device when you connect it, so it never installs the device driver. Here are some things to try:

1. Connect the USB cable to a different USB port and see if it recognizes the device.
2. In the Device Manager, Right-click on the computer name and select "SCAN FOR HARDWARE CHANGES".
3. Leave the device connected and reboot the computer
4. Try a different USB cable. Yes I know it works elsewhere. Try to use one that is known to work on the PC.
Old 07-09-15, 08:44 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I agree with trying a different combination of USB cable and port. Even if they've worked individually.

Also stay on your girlfriend's good side.
Old 10-10-15, 11:45 AM
BruceT
Old Newbie

Bikes: Pinarello FP Quattro, Giant Trance

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going through the same problem. When I first connected I got a message that the drivers were not found and it wouldn't connect. Moved to a different port, same thing. Uninstalled and reinstalled Polar Flow, same problem. Called Polar tech support and went through the same gyrations, same result. Finally after reinstalling and rebooting the computer with the V650 attached and turned on while rebooting I got it to work...once. Next time I tried same problem. You'd think a company the size of Polar could figure out how to get a simple usb connection to work, but apparently not. I also have a Polar V800 and M400 and they both work flawlessly, so I'm sure it's not my computer. If anyone finds a solution please post. thanks.
Old 10-11-15, 07:45 AM
bonebike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of this going around

Having the same problem. Tried on a PC running Windows 10 and two Macs running 10.6, 10.10 and 10.11 with different cables. The v650 charges but isn't recognized by Polar FlowSync.

When I contacted Polar support I received the following message.

"Thank you for your email to Polar USA Customer Support!
Your e-mail message has been received. *We are currently experiencing a high volume. We will do our best to respond to your inquiry as soon as possible.
Thank you for your patience and we apologize for any inconvenience caused."

Will return it if I can't find a solution soon.
Old 11-11-15, 09:32 PM
cricri3j

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am having the same problem - last successful sync was in June!
Old 09-20-16, 03:42 PM
lytleric

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did anyone find a solution to this? I am having the exact same problem and Polar support has been unable to help me. I've sent my V650 in for service TWICE, only to get it back and have the same issue. They have now sent me a brand new unit and cable, which gives the exact same result. Like BruceT, I had gotten to work once, and was able to register the unit (and therefore use the mobile app thereafter), but with the brand new unit, I can't even do that.

I've downloaded FlowSync to THREE different computers, and get the same result on every one. I am stumped and frustrated.

Last edited by lytleric; 09-21-16 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-20-16, 07:54 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I own a Polar V650. Here is what you need to do for Windows.
  1. Make sure your Polar is connected to the PC and powered on.
  2. Start the FlowSync application.
  3. Point to Start --> Run, type compmgmt.msc and press Enter. This will bring up the Computer Management console.
  4. In the left pane of the Computer Management console expand down into Computer Management (Local) --> System Tools and click Device Manager. The Device Manager interface will appear in the right hand pane.
  5. In the right hand Device Manager pane expand down into Network Adapters. Several network adapters will appear including a Remote NDIS Based Internet Sharing Device. This is the Polar V650.
  6. Right click Remote NDIS Based Internet Sharing Device and click Remove from the pop-up menu. Confirm that you want to remove the device.
  7. Right click the computer name at the top of the right hand Device Manager pane and choose Scan for Hardware Changes. Device Manager will rediscover the Polar as a new Remote NDIS Based Internet Sharing Device and after a short time it will appear in the FlowSync app and start synchronizing.
I have to do this every time but it works every time. I'm not convinced it is a Polar problem but suspect it is a Windows problem. Would love to know for sure.

I created a shortcut to the Computer Managment console on my desktop but sometimes it is just easier to sync with the flow app on my phone and then the phone uploads via Wifi at home.

FlowSync doesn't like a Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client (VPN Adapter) so if you use a Cisco VPN then disconnect that first.

The people on Polar Forums are a pretty good resource. https://forum.polar.fi/index.php

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 09-20-16 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-21-16, 06:21 AM
lytleric

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!! Polar needs to add this procedure to the V650 - FlowSync troubleshooting steps. I've spent hours on the phone with their tech support and got nothing close to these steps.
Old 09-21-16, 09:34 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by lytleric
Thanks!! Polar needs to add this procedure to the V650 - FlowSync troubleshooting steps. I've spent hours on the phone with their tech support and got nothing close to these steps.
It isn't just Polar.

Poor documentation, lousy support, bugs and products that fail to function at the most basic level due to crashes and hangs have become the norm.

I'm not convinced that this particular problem is a Polar problem however. It could be Windows. I could be wrong however.

-Tim-
Old 09-21-16, 07:25 PM
rob214

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR, 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
i found this thread based on a search for polar bike computers i'm interested in, since it was mentioned a couple of times that it may be a pc / windows issue, i was wondering if anyone with an iMac has had any issues?

rob
Old 09-21-16, 08:49 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by rob214
i found this thread based on a search for polar bike computers i'm interested in, since it was mentioned a couple of times that it may be a pc / windows issue, i was wondering if anyone with an iMac has had any issues?

rob
Hi Rob.

You might want to try browsing the Polar support forums. https://forum.polar.fi/index.php

I've been using the Polar for about three months and can try to answer any questions you have about the device itself. Just let me know.

-Tim-
Old 09-25-16, 09:37 PM
BruceT
Old Newbie

Bikes: Pinarello FP Quattro, Giant Trance

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It worked on a different PC

to add to the confusion, I tried the 650 on a computer at work, a PC running the same OS, Win7 Pro, 64 bit. Damned if it didn't work on the first try.

So I think it must be some software or driver that I have installed on computer 1 that is preventing the 650 from being recognized, whereas on computer 2 it sees it and syncs right away.

Windows issue.
Old 10-11-16, 12:09 PM
JoostD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doesn't sync at all

I am having these problems all over again. I just tried all the steps to install the Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device driver again. No success. This device doesn't start (code 10). Any ideas more than welcome!
Old 10-11-16, 07:11 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Don't have access to a Mac by chance? I had same issues with Win7 (and Bluetooth to iPhone), yet was able to access via Mac running Yosemite. Gave up on Win7, but back to syncing via Bluetooth iPhone OK now. Trade off is that it loses my DuoTrap cadence speed sensor every few rides. You have to change device settings to Mac beforehand, of course.
Old 10-12-16, 05:49 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Selectively shut down software to see what might be interfering.

CTRL+ALT+DEL --> Task Manager and shut down apps one by one to see what's interfering.

I found that I had to kill my Cisco Anyconnect VPN client or it would not work.

-Tim-
Old 11-27-16, 06:39 PM
Specializedman1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
V650 wont sync

I have done everything possible I found on the Internet.. it will not sync, polar Is useless
Old 11-28-16, 08:32 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Specializedman1
I have done everything possible I found on the Internet.. it will not sync, polar Is useless
It works for tens of thousands of people.

Your frustration is obvious but proclaiming "Polar is useless" is equally as useless.

Give us something to work with here... Does it sync with the Flow app on your phone apart from Windows? That would be a good place to start.

Did you try it on another computer to determine if there is a problem with the PC or with the Polar itself? What firmware are you at?

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 11-28-16 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-16-16, 09:47 AM
bamse23

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey buddy, nice to have thousands of posts..

..and I presume you're super motivated to help people, but think from the other point of view. Let me rephrase it, someone pays for a service, in this case Polar who just do not give a @#$ about the final consumer

PS I've tried as well the steps above, 3 PCs, 3h of my life on different pages.. nada

with respect
Old 12-16-16, 12:01 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by bamse23
..and I presume you're super motivated to help people, but think from the other point of view. Let me rephrase it, someone pays for a service, in this case Polar who just do not give a @#$ about the final consumer

PS I've tried as well the steps above, 3 PCs, 3h of my life on different pages.. nada

with respect

I was an evangelist against Whirlpool corporation for a while. Yeah, I get it. There is little anyone can do here however, except commiserate.

Polar corporate maintains their own forums and they do monitor the content. Maybe you could rattle their cage over there a little.

https://forum.polar.fi/index.php

As one who supports highly complex technology solutions I can tell you that tenacity is a highly valuable trait.

Good luck. Let us know the final solution.

-Tim-
Old 12-18-16, 10:57 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Specializedman1
Not everything, you haven't tried selling it yet
Just buy the garmin 520 and offload the polar to someone who likes to jump through hoops every time they sync it.
Old 12-19-16, 10:11 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

I press the button on mine and it syncs.
Old 12-19-16, 10:56 AM
Specializedman1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
update

I never meant to say Polar is useless, I meat their IT help. still not working on my laptop. but I took it to work and it worked fine on my desktop, I updated the firmware and still nothing on the laptop tried my daughter's new windows 1o laptop and it's a no go did it on my wife's old Toshiba works fine so I am just syncing from my phone
Old 04-17-17, 09:32 PM
markss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
V650 sync lost and found

I realise that this thread has been inactive for a while, but I expect it is still being visited by V650 owners like me who are seeking a solution to the sync problems.

My experience has been that syncing via USB with my Windows 7 PC had always been fine, until I installed the latest V650 firmware update in February 2017. From then on I have not been able to get the USB sync to work.

I read the many suggestions in this bike forum and various web pages. Unfortunately nothing seemed to work and like many others I was frustrated and annoyed by a function which should be simple and painless.

Instead of flogging a dead horse, I chose the bypass route and moved to using the Bluetooth connection to my iPad. This worked with absolutely no problems until a few weeks ago. For no obvious reason (although there have been system and app updates), the sync process always fails after a few minutes with the very helpful message that something went wrong and I should try again.

More frustration and annoyance! What to do? Back to the PC and the USB cable!

It may be that I never tried this combination, but if I switch off all of the protections in my virus checker (Avast), uninstall the NDIS Internet Sharing Device and then scan for hardware changes, the USB sync to Windows 7 miraculously works. I always get a message afterward that the driver installation failed. But repeating the same sequence each time does work for me. Don't forget to turn on the virus checker afterwards!

So, I hope this helps someone out there by encouraging them to try this solution. It may not work for everyone because of the multiplicity of Windows and device configurations, but it may well be worth the five minutes of your time to overcome the frustration and annoyance.

And if anyone has any suggestions for what to try for the iPad sync I would appreciate a reply.
Old 04-18-17, 09:56 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Antivirus is a good point.

Many "on access" antivirus programs interfere with applications when they try to access files. The antivirus software will try to scan the file when the application tries to access it. If the application has a short timeout or the antivirus program takes too long to scan then there can be contention.

Antivirus programs typically have a place to set exclusions, files or folders that it will not scan. It would be interesting to exclude the directories used by the Flow application and see if it improves the experience. That is what I have done just now with McAffee on my machine...

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 04-18-17 at 10:01 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.