Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Shimano front derailleur

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Shimano front derailleur

Old 07-03-18, 10:09 AM
79SchwinnWS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shimano front derailleur

I was fiddling with my front derailleur because it was rubbing on the chain when in 8 and 9th gear,I adjusted the 2 H and L limit screws and it seemed to help but now it rubs when in 17 an 18 gear..this is a Sora setup,the 2 screws are out about 3 turns out from bottom,does that sound about right?
Old 07-03-18, 10:35 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
I think you are missing the point about what limit screws do. All they do is limit how far the derailleur cage can move to the inside and outside of its travel. It is extremely unlikely that limit screws are the cause of this problem

​​​​​​https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...eur-adjustment
This page can help explain front derailleur adjustment

Last edited by alcjphil; 07-03-18 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-03-18, 11:26 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
You've "screwed" with it now. That's usually a mistake with front derailleurs. Try this:

1. Go to the Park tool website. Find "Install front derailleur". There will be step-by-step instructions.
2. Disconnect your shift cable from the derailleur and pretend you are installing it for the very first time.
3. Start at the very beginning - positioning the derailleur on the seat tube. Do each step in order and don't move on until you are sure that what you've done is correct.

It's important to do the steps in order because each adjustment that you make can affect subsequent adjustments. The problem with "screwing" with front derailleurs is, if you don't know what you're doing, you can screw it up. When that happens there's a tendency to misadjust something else while trying to fix it. That's why starting over from the beginning is often wise.
Old 07-03-18, 11:50 AM
79SchwinnWS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I get the chain set where it doesnt hit one side of the derailleur but then when i go up the gears,the chain hits on the other side of the deraileur.
Old 07-03-18, 11:54 AM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by 79SchwinnWS
I get the chain set where it doesnt hit one side of the derailleur but then when i go up the gears,the chain hits on the other side of the deraileur.
That is what the trim function on the shifter is for
Old 07-03-18, 12:15 PM
Pilot321

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alcjphil
That is what the trim function on the shifter is for
My older (1987) Shimano 105 does not have a barrel adjustor at the shift lever for fine tuning. I know there must be a way to do it, but I don't see it.
Old 07-03-18, 01:21 PM
79SchwinnWS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All I can say is..what a PITA!
I watched the Park video and it helped a lot..I got it back to shifting properly again..all I can say is..I'm familiar with front derailleurs now..lol.
Old 07-03-18, 01:30 PM
79SchwinnWS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My chain was rubbing when it was on the big front sprocket and the big cassette sprocket,in the Park video,he says there is nothing you can do about that on a Giant,which he was using as a demonstration bike,believe me..he's right because I tried everything from setting the cage height to tightening the shift cable,using limit screws and using small adjustments with the barrel adjustment.
Old 07-03-18, 01:46 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Those mistakes make a great teacher! Keep learning.
Old 07-03-18, 07:34 PM
alcjphil

My chain was rubbing when it was on the big front sprocket and the big cassette sprocket,in the Park video,he says there is nothing you can do about that on a Giant,which he was using as a demonstration bike,believe me..he's right because I tried everything from setting the cage height to tightening the shift cable,using limit screws and using small adjustments with the barrel adjustment.
The brand of your bike has nothing to do with whether your shifters have a trim function. Your bike has Shimano Sora shifters. they have a trim function that deals with your problem. learn how it works
Old 07-04-18, 07:03 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Many front shifters allow you to "trim" the front derailleur by moving it 1 click to prevent rubbing as move up & down the rear cassette.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-04-18, 08:12 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
It's like the smoke detector in the kitchen. It's there to remind you not to use that gear combination. In real life it's a non-issue.
Old 07-04-18, 09:11 AM
79SchwinnWS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Many front shifters allow you to "trim" the front derailleur by moving it 1 click to prevent rubbing as move up & down the rear cassette.
Thanks