Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

No Helmet -- Nice!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

No Helmet -- Nice!

Old 07-16-18, 12:31 PM
CharlieFree

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikewolf
Tell me about it. What do you think of this one: putting a helmet/skull cap and then leaving without the helmet itself :-)

(Some do have a night lamp.)
Ha! so I'm not the only one that's done this!
Old 07-16-18, 01:38 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
I started cycling more than 50 years ago, so wearing a helmet wasn't natural to me. When I began to train and doing group rides, about 22 years ago, wore a helmet occasionally, but never for commuting. Now my commuting makes for 60% of my kms and more of my cycling time, so I thought I couldn't be so irrational and began wearing a helmet full time a few months ago. Now I feel strange, almost naked without a helmet. Still, I think it's a personal decision and don't look down upon those who don't wear them.
A week ago I was on a group ride, riding two abreast but nowhere near the middle of the street, when a distracted driver touched my handlebar with her mirror. I fell on my elbow, side and knee, luckily no serious consequences although I'm still in some pain. I hoped I could tell one of those dramatic "my helmet saved my life" stories, but it never touched the pavement! Frustrating.
Old 07-16-18, 04:05 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
. I hoped I could tell one of those dramatic "my helmet saved my life" stories, but it never touched the pavement! Frustrating.
I have a cracked helmet in my show-and-tell drawer... it does serve to get the stories going.
Old 07-18-18, 04:13 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5989 Post(s)
Liked 954 Times in 728 Posts
I saw a guy with a helmet yesterday. It has happened before but he was on a normal poorly maintained single speed oma and not dressed for the ride. It was an old guy with a grey beard in shorts and his helmet was shiny burgundy. Probably a foreign academic.
Old 07-20-18, 04:51 PM
bikingbill

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 26, Brompton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RubeRad

... kept me extra vigilant about the risky parts of my commutes...
Risk Compensation is a Real Thing.
Old 07-20-18, 09:07 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I have a cracked helmet in my show-and-tell drawer... it does serve to get the stories going.
Indeed, we keep a cracked ski racing helmet for the same reason.
Old 07-22-18, 06:46 PM
Matthew2121

Bikes: 2019 FX 3

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to interject, newbie here. I'm actually trying to get my first helmet. In the process of getting my first brand new bike. 2019 FX3. Local shop offered me the Bontrager Quantum MIPS helmet for half off. Any thoughts? Can't find much info, and I dont know if I need or want to get one at that price..retail 110.. my price after credit would be round 60. Just can't figure if I should look elsewhere for helmet and use credit for other items in store. Thanks for any and all help. Again my apologies for being somewhat off topic.

-matthew
Old 07-22-18, 06:53 PM
Gresp15C

Originally Posted by Matthew2121
Sorry to interject, newbie here. I'm actually trying to get my first helmet. In the process of getting my first brand new bike. 2019 FX3. Local shop offered me the Bontrager Quantum MIPS helmet for half off. Any thoughts? Can't find much info, and I dont know if I need or want to get one at that price..retail 110.. my price after credit would be round 60. Just can't figure if I should look elsewhere for helmet and use credit for other items in store. Thanks for any and all help. Again my apologies for being somewhat off topic.

-matthew
The FX3 looks nice. Congrats! Since I was curious, I looked it up. The helmet is on sale at the Trek website for 70 bucks, so maybe the half-off deal isn't such a deal. On the other hand, it will let you get out and ride, right away, without spending another weekend shopping for helmets. Life is short.

If you happen to be thinking about accessories, other items to consider are a rear rack, the means to fix a flat while you're on the road, and a decent floor pump for home use. Of all those things, the pump is your most important maintenance item.
Old 07-22-18, 07:02 PM
Matthew2121

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
The FX3 looks nice. Congrats! Since I was curious, I looked it up. The helmet is on sale at the Trek website for 70 bucks, so maybe the half-off deal isn't such a deal. On the other hand, it will let you get out and ride, right away, without spending another weekend shopping for helmets. Life is short.

If you happen to be thinking about accessories, other items to consider are a rear rack, the means to fix a flat while you're on the road, and a decent floor pump for home use. Of all those things, the pump is your most important maintenance item.
thanks for the quick reply! I just looked on trek and it's showing $99..is there another site you are referring to by chance? If it is lower then I agree that it's not worth the deal.. if so I need to figure what type of helmet and brand to get etc..been looking all over the forums for some answers. Bit harder than I though lol As for accessories, definitely want what you mention as well as a bottle cage and bottle was thinking of getting the Bontrager bottle cage, seems nice. Thanks for the help!!

EDIT-- just did a direct search for it online instead of on trek site and I found one through the trek site that isn't listed through normal search parameters but it's 70. Only thing is it's only in blue, green and another oddball color. Not sure if that's why they are on sale

Last edited by Matthew2121; 07-22-18 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-22-18, 07:17 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I found a Rudy Project helmet on my lawn yesterday. Not sure how someone can ride off without their helmet.
Old 07-22-18, 07:43 PM
Gresp15C

thanks for the quick reply! I just looked on trek and it's showing $99..is there another site you are referring to by chance? If it is lower then I agree that it's not worth the deal.. if so I need to figure what type of helmet and brand to get etc..been looking all over the forums for some answers. Bit harder than I though lol As for accessories, definitely want what you mention as well as a bottle cage and bottle was thinking of getting the Bontrager bottle cage, seems nice. Thanks for the help!!

EDIT-- just did a direct search for it online instead of on trek site and I found one through the trek site that isn't listed through normal search parameters but it's 70. Only thing is it's only in blue, green and another oddball color. Not sure if that's why they are on sale
This is what I found, so maybe it's like what you say. The blue does look kinda cool, in a way.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...elmet/p/14176/
Old 07-23-18, 07:40 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,657 Times in 1,677 Posts

-matthew
i imagine that helmet is as good as any other and 60.00 isnt bad for a decent helmet. i agree with the last poster. get it and ride baby!
Old 07-23-18, 08:08 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

-matthew
If you knew exactly which helmet you wanted, the right size, and how to adjust it - yeah, you can get some good deals on the Web. But you don't know any of those things and you would benefit from the LBS walking you through that learning process, and that's worth a few extra bucks.
Old 07-23-18, 09:23 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Helmet people have a false sense of security and take more risk when riding.

THe benefot of the helmet is offset by the phsycological risk taking.
I don't believe that's actually true, and I'm not a "helmet person" given that I've only worn it a couple of times in the last two weeks.

I realize that there was one study that demonstrated risk compensation, but it was deeply flawed in a basic assumption IMO. They only observed the first few hundred feet of the ride, assuming that a rider would do the same things after many miles.

I am not aware of feeling any greater security with or without a helmet, after the "this is different" feeling wears off. The first minute or so, I'm sure you would observe some difference in how I ride. After that, I doubt it. Analogously, I'd be surprised if people who don't want to ride without one would be riding any differently after 10 or 15 minutes. They'd be riding "normally" for them.

BTW @Matthew2121 my personal take is if you're going to splurge on a nice helmet there's nothing wrong with that, and I'd look for something with more style than the ubiquitous mushroom tops. Some of the Giro helmets look pretty sharp.

Last edited by wphamilton; 07-23-18 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-23-18, 12:31 PM
jack002

Bikes: (2) 1994 Cannondale R900, red, Silver Trek hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

False! I wear one all the time and don't take any risk at all I wouldn't take without a helmet. A couple years ago I took a fall that would probably have cracked my skull if I had no helmet on. It cracked the helmet. A skim of mud on the trail from rain the night before. It didn't seem slick to me, it was. I have no pity for people who get hurt with no helmet on. Its just foolish.
Old 07-23-18, 01:02 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5989 Post(s)
Liked 954 Times in 728 Posts
Originally Posted by jack002
I have no pity for people who get hurt with no helmet on. Its just foolish.
What about people who get hurt with a helmet on? They saw it coming, they knew they were going to crash, and still didn't change their ways. That seems much more stupid to me.
Old 07-23-18, 01:18 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

The effect I remember hearing, is that people who normally wear a helmet, ride more cautiously if they forget their helmet. So it's not that the helmet gives them a sense of security, it's that not having a helmet heightens their sense of vulnerability. It's an interesting psychological effect that's hard to quantify in studies.
Old 07-23-18, 02:34 PM
Matthew2121

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
If you knew exactly which helmet you wanted, the right size, and how to adjust it - yeah, you can get some good deals on the Web. But you don't know any of those things and you would benefit from the LBS walking you through that learning process, and that's worth a few extra bucks.
thanks for the response! Thats a really good point. Once i started researching, i quickly became a bit overwhelmed. Hadnt thought about all the little things..weight, vents, and the main thing that has me questioning that particular helmet is that from what i gather its somewhat made for mtb trails with the visor and what not. I actually like the shape of helmets that have that visor but i also dont wanna look like an idiot wearing an incorrect helmet that isnt for the type of riding im doing. I.e i dont wanna look like a gut wearing a motorcycle helmet on a bike so to speak lol. Thanks for any and all help! Much appreciated!
Old 07-23-18, 02:37 PM
Matthew2121

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
This is what I found, so maybe it's like what you say. The blue does look kinda cool, in a way.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...elmet/p/14176/

yup thats exactly what i had found. Really wanting the black matte though to match the matte bike color scheme XD. Im OCD like that haha
Old 07-23-18, 02:46 PM
Matthew2121

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
BTW @Matthew2121 my personal take is if you're going to splurge on a nice helmet there's nothing wrong with that, and I'd look for something with more style than the ubiquitous mushroom tops. Some of the Giro helmets look pretty sharp.
you make a good point. I didn't realize that i was splurging on a helmet until i started research them i had no concept of what a helmet cost. I assumed it was normal price for something that can save your life lol. Regarding the mushroom comment, i definitely would prefer not to have one like that lol. Would you consider the one i was looking at a mushroom helmet? I didnt think so, but i also tried it on prior to doing research so may have not really studied the look on me so to speak. This may be a stupid way of thinking but I just want to make sure that i get something that visually looks good on me and the bike and of course feels right so that i dont have a reason ever to not wear it. I think if i like the way it looks ill never hesitate for even the smallest of rides. Thanks for any and all help! Very much appreciated!
Old 07-23-18, 03:37 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Eds0123
Some riders (including I) take the helmet off when coming up on a long hard climb on a hot day, I'll put it back on on the downhill side, Tour de France rules allow no helmet at such occasions , no need for a helmet wehen working hard, getting hot and going slow,
Actually, I don't think the Tour riders are allowed to take their helmets off at any time. Lance Armstrong (yes, that Lance Armstrong) was actually talking about this on his podcast a few days ago, arguing that the risk is virtually zero on the steep climbs where they are going under 10mph (although a rider broke a vertebrae that very day on the climb). He was basically arguing that allowing fans to see the heads and faces of the riders will help the sport.

I though I read he was going 60mph.
I gave up my motorbike after an accident...and decided I was lucky to be walking and alive. Then got into bicycling.
The speed involved makes motorbikes are way too dangerous.
I've seen the video, and although it's hard to tell, I doubt he was going anywhere near 60mph. (Perhaps it was 60kmh?). Anyway, I've spent plenty of time on a motorcycle (years of commuting included), and I would say it is about a wash in comparison to a bicycle. The fact that you can keep up with traffic and don't have to worry about countless people overtaking you is a big factor. Ditto making a left hand turn at most intersections, which just seems ridiculously unsafe on a bicycle if you need to use regular traffic lanes.

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
her wrist broke when she put her hand out on the way down. (classic mistake)...
Why is putting out your hands to break your fall a mistake? Should people just being going down head first?

Last edited by robertorolfo; 07-23-18 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-23-18, 03:38 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
I though I read he was going 60mph.I gave up my motorbike after an accident...and decided I was lucky to be walking and alive. Then got into bicycling.The speed involved makes motorbikes are way too dangerous. I bet he's asking himself that with his successful career and family, why is he risking live and limb to make a stupid moive?
I didn't read that it was during the filming of a movie. seek out the video. he really is lucky
Old 07-23-18, 03:49 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Why is putting out your hands to break your fall a mistake? Should people just being going down head first?
I've read here on the forum, not long ago, that for cycling, one should fall with the bike & deal w road rash rather than broken bones. like on your leg & shoulder, I guess. I forget actually. she had a broken knee cap some tears ago & so purposely avoided hitting that instead. recently using cleated pedals for the 1st or 3rd time I came to a stop & forgot I was clipped in. as I tried to remove my right foot I could see myself leaning (not yet falling) to my right, "leading with my knee" but I quickly uncleated & put my foot out. I was there thinking about how I would have fallen & thinking knee first, then a hand, but I really don't know. if I come across the thread about how cyclists should fall I'll share it. I think the responder was citing a pro racer talking about the same thing (how not to break an arm falling off a bike)

just found an article

https://blog.mapmyrun.com/fall-off-bike-not-get-hurt/

"For spills from the side, use the back of your shoulder, hip and butt to absorb the impact instead of your arm as you hit the road. "

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-24-18 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-24-18, 08:58 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,449 Times in 1,429 Posts
I thought about this thread this morning on the way into work. It's a very humid day, and I thought how nice it would feel to take my helmet off. But when I have it, I wear it. I never know what might happen. I got hit head-on by a car once, and that was before most people wore helmets, so I got lucky. I could get lucky again.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-24-18, 09:33 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I've read here on the forum, not long ago, that for cycling, one should fall with the bike &amp; deal w road rash rather than broken bones. like on your leg &amp; shoulder, I guess. I forget actually. she had a broken knee cap some tears ago &amp; purposely avoided hitting that instead. recently using clipless for the 1st or 3rd time I came to a stop &amp; forgot I was clipped in. as I tried to remove my right foot I cold see myself leaning (not yet falling) to my right, "leading with my knee" but I quickly unclipped &amp; put my foot out. I was there thinking about how I would have fallen &amp; thinking knee first then a hand but I really don't know. if I come across the thread about how cyclists should fall I'll share it.I think the responder was citing a pro racer talking about the same thing (how not to break an arm falling off a bike)<br /><br />just found an article<br /><br /><a href="https://blog.mapmyrun.com/fall-off-bike-not-get-hurt/">https://blog.mapmyrun.com/fall-off-bike-not-get-hurt/<br />"</a> For spills from the side, use the back of your shoulder, hip and butt to absorb the impact instead of your arm as you hit the road. "<br />
Mmmm, not sure how helpful that article/advice really is. There are so many different factors and permutations involved in every crash, so the advice doesn't seem particularly practical, but it probably can't hurt (no pun).

A few years ago, my friend that coaches youth soccer mentioned that it seemed to him like kids didn't know how to fall down anymore. They were often getting hurt in situations that were particularly bad because they didn't know how to take a fall, and he mentioned them not putting their hands out to absorb some of the impact. I realize that falling while running is a little different, and there is no bike to get tangled with, but most athletic adults can run at speeds of 15mph or greater.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.