Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First major crash

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

First major crash

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-18, 08:46 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by chainwhip
Did the Wright Bros. worry a lot about crashing??
Maybe! Wilber famously lost his teeth to a hockey stick which changed his life.... forever.
Old 07-16-18, 08:54 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Doing a "pre-flight" is hardly silly, and should be a regular practice by everyone that rides. I do mine before and after my rides. .
"Pre-flight"? That sounds like an odd solution that reminds me of the military, but its YOUR issue.... I guess. Accident reports ARE a part of our culture by... the same people that brought us "pre-flight inspections". But the before and after procedures.... are really as much about "preparation and closure".... as accident "prevention".
Old 07-16-18, 09:01 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
There's this one, but it's the more common situation where the object is thrown up by the wheel of a cyclist in front:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV9_i9MEnMg

But if you hit a curved stick just right with your front tire it could whip around and land in between spokes and then be carried into the fork.
Condolences to the OP - seems like he was just very unlucky.
The video definitely makes a positive statement for wearing a helmet @ 0:32, and to a similar degree, gloves.

Beautiful pirouette by the rider, and quick responses by his group. It could have caused a chain reaction. Also, funny how there's always a car right next to you at the precise moment an accident happens. Too bad they didn't stop.

Speaking of which, I hate it when cars are behind me right on my tail -- no response time.
Old 07-17-18, 07:06 AM
Peteyp8

Bikes: 1964 Motobecane, 1985 Nashbar Road Mark III, 2006 Specialized Sirrus, 2018 Schwinn Fastback 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a friend who got something caught in his front spokes, went over the handlebars, fractured his skull and ended up in the ER. He was just riding around his neighborhood with his daughter. Skull fractures are not pretty—lots of blood. Always, always wear a helmet. Heal fast and get back out on your bike and enjoy your summer.
Old 07-17-18, 07:38 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Peteyp8
I have a friend who got something caught in his front spokes, went over the handlebars, fractured his skull and ended up in the ER. He was just riding around his neighborhood with his daughter. Skull fractures are not pretty—lots of blood. Always, always wear a helmet. Heal fast and get back out on your bike and enjoy your summer.
Tell me about it. Twenty two stitches from a head injury (one of many) and #2 of the top 3 worse pains of my life. No helmet, no ride. But some of us have to learn that the hard way.
Old 07-18-18, 06:00 AM
macca33

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Noah SL - Candy Apple DA9000, 2011 CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800, 2013 FOCUS Mares CX Ult6800

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by motosonic
I just had my first 'major' crash on 6/11.. I went down on a downhill going 30+ mph, but I was not as lucky as you....I broke ribs, my clavicle and scapula.. as well as collapsed my left lung... I was taken away in an ambulance. Thank goodness I was in a group ride when it happened. Consider yourself lucky. I'm pretty sure i hit a crack just wide enough to torque my front wheel and throw me. It can happen pretty easily..but lack of regular/proper maintenance can be a major cause.. so make sure to get your bike checked up regularly and you can lower your chances. I lost my poor Wilier Cento1 in that crash. Remember any crash you walk or ride away from is a blessing. I'll be healing for a while. Get yourself looked at and heal up quick. I once had a minor crash that tore a ligament in my thumb and I thought it was just 'bruised'.

That sucks mate - i got hit by a car on the 20th - 9 rib fractures and collapsed lung. I can only imagine the extra issues for you make it even worse. Heal up soon.

To the OP, heal up quickly also.

cheers
Old 07-18-18, 07:40 AM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by macca33

That sucks mate - i got hit by a car on the 20th - 9 rib fractures and collapsed lung. I can only imagine the extra issues for you make it even worse. Heal up soon.

To the OP, heal up quickly also.

cheers
ouch!!!! not good!
Thank you, and you as well. I'm getting better slowly but surely. It's been a long road already..
Old 07-18-18, 09:20 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
ouch!!!! not good!
Thank you, and you as well. I'm getting better slowly but surely. It's been a long road already..
I was hospitalized for almost 6 weeks after getting hit by a truck in 2014. I broke 10 ribs, clavicle, scapula, fibula, tore my small intestine, and collapsed a lung. It took 3 surgeries fix my intestines, and I was on TPN for 3 week. Before the wreck I was 6'2" and 175lbs. but when I got out I weighed just over 140lbs

2 weeks later I was back on the bike, but I was a shell of my old self. 9 days before the wreck I did a 58:49 40km TT, but when I got back on the bike 13mph was about the best I could do for anything longer than a sprint. It took a couple of months to start feeling like my old self, but It was over a year before my power returned.
Old 07-18-18, 10:55 AM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I was hospitalized for almost 6 weeks after getting hit by a truck in 2014. I broke 10 ribs, clavicle, scapula, fibula, tore my small intestine, and collapsed a lung. It took 3 surgeries fix my intestines, and I was on TPN for 3 week. Before the wreck I was 6'2" and 175lbs. but when I got out I weighed just over 140lbs

2 weeks later I was back on the bike, but I was a shell of my old self. 9 days before the wreck I did a 58:49 40km TT, but when I got back on the bike 13mph was about the best I could do for anything longer than a sprint. It took a couple of months to start feeling like my old self, but It was over a year before my power returned.
YIKES!!!
Well, as far as I'm told, I'm getting closer to being on a bike. We'll see in a few weeks on my recheck. I've had to keep the arm immobilized due to where I broke the clavicle & scapula, so there's no way I can ride now. Now that swelling has gone down, I feel pain in my legs, hips and knees.. hoping it's not going to be something that'll set me back. I'm definitely going to be a shell of my below-average self, lol. I can already tell just by how my lung is healing. Even walking wipes me out. lol
Either way, you're back up and better, riding like a pro, no doubt. I do worry... I already had issues with proximity to other riders..and I fear it's going to be worse now once I get back on the road.
Old 07-18-18, 11:13 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I do worry... I already had issues with proximity to other riders..and I fear it's going to be worse now once I get back on the road.
I've never had a wreck caused by another rider(aside from during a race), but I don't do "group rides" for that reason. I have 6 friends that ride with(3 male, 3 female), and on Saturday we ride together(usually 4-5 people), but we've been riding together for years. We are more like a team, than a shop's group ride.
Old 07-18-18, 11:41 AM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rkman
Hey guys, just had my first major crash on a bike. I was cycling at 20-30 mph on a 2 mile trail, and I was out of the saddle pedalling. All of a sudden, the bike locked up and I flew over the handlebars. I landed on my wrists and I broke one wrist and skinned the other. I was wearing a helmet luckily. Kinda sucks since I am 14 and currently taking a course to skip algebra 2 honors over the summer. Does anyone have any insight on what caused the crash? The bike is a specialized allez sport and when I got up and looked at it the chain had come off and the rubber hoods were torn.the place I was cycling had a smooth road with no debris on it. I am asking cause I suspect the shop where I bought the bike might have incorrectly set the limit screws on the FD, since the bike is only around 2 weeks old
Thanks for any insight
join the club! wrecked nearly the same at your age ~9th grade

Bought a new mtb, riding it home after school. Running fine & reached back in my neighbourhood, stretch of empty road so thought I'd try out these whizbang newfangled topgear thingys

FD skipped & jammed.
Looked down at chainring.
split second later... looked up to find out we're heading into a parked car

locked up front brakes.
Flew over bars
i rolled shoulder first into car bumper
then school bag flew off rear rack & hit me

that was a long long long long time ago (how long? My first mtb!! Shimano pre SIS!)
Casualties? Well... didn't break any bones (phew).
Pre mandatory helmet law, so no foam hat worn (yet I lived)
Cars still had chrome bumpers... and they don't scratch easy, so no car damage (phewX2)
Bigass rear rack (I had just gotten fitted) saved frame from roadrash (yay)
But my boombox was in the flying schoolbag, it didn't survive the impact - radio never worked again.

Wish you speedy recovery!
Old 07-21-18, 04:49 PM
Anohaakten

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your incident. I hope you have a fast recovery. I have had this happen when I was younger. Was riding my mountain bike on a dirt trail, speeding down a hill and I slammed the front brake, the steepness of this hill combined with me hitting my front brake so hard sent me over the handlebars. Very foolish as I should have used the rear brake, lesson learned. You grow wiser as you get older.
Old 07-21-18, 07:16 PM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
Previous comment reminded me that the OP may not be aware...

Front brakes of car/motorcycle/bicycle do the bulk of the deceleration.
I've heard 70/30% Front/Rear for bicycles.

A stick in the Front Wheel/Fork relates to this in regards to "grabbing too big a handful of brake"...with your weight forward(standing?) ...on a downhill(rather odd to *stand* on any significant downhill slope)...sudden deceleration will throw us all over the bars.

Last edited by chainwhip; 07-21-18 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-22-18, 06:37 PM
Rkman

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chainwhip
Previous comment reminded me that the OP may not be aware...

Front brakes of car/motorcycle/bicycle do the bulk of the deceleration.
I've heard 70/30% Front/Rear for bicycles.

A stick in the Front Wheel/Fork relates to this in regards to "grabbing too big a handful of brake"...with your weight forward(standing?) ...on a downhill(rather odd to *stand* on any significant downhill slope)...sudden deceleration will throw us all over the bars.
It was a straight leg and I was sprinting at the time