Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Zwift and advertising

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Zwift and advertising

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-18, 11:36 AM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Zwift and advertising

I have noticed that there is an indoor bike advertised pretty heavily during the TDF on NBC sports network. I'm not sure why anyone would pay $2,000 for the bike and then have to pay a steep monthly subscription fee to use it. Looking at the face of someone leading the workout session doesn't seem to appealing either. At any rate, I think that Zwift is great and I can't help but think that advertising more on channels that cyclists tend to watch would boost their subscription base. Believe it or not, I have been to several LBS' recently where the owner had never even heard of Zwift. Perhaps they don't have much in terms of a budget for advertising at this point but I do believe it would help them grow perhaps to where they could add more routes and keep the monthly fee down.
Old 07-17-18, 12:12 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
I do find the advertising relationship to be an odd one. While on the surface it appears to make sense, a big cycling/exercise brand on the biggest bike race, I'd think that brand's target audience isn't really watching the TDF or has any real interest in bike racing. I think the folks who gravitate toward that product really just want as close to a plug and play experience as possible, including the classes. People I know and to whom I recommended the bike/trainer/software combo have never gone that route, it takes way more mental energy than people are willing to invest. With zwift, I think the drawback to advertising is that they also need to educate the consumer on what they need to actually run the platform. I think they do well enough with the internet publicity and word of mouth that they don't really need to spend money on TV spots, probably not much return on that
Old 07-17-18, 12:14 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Yeah, TV advertising is colossally expensive for national stuff, and personally there's not one cyclist or tri geek I know who isn't acutely aware of what Zwift is. Wifey and I are some of the few remaining holdouts not using it.
Old 07-17-18, 12:19 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
My sister has a Peleton bike which I rode a few times while visiting over the holidays. It's really well built for a spin bike and there are classes led by Christian Vandevelde which are a lot more tailored to actual cyclists (as opposed to folks who like the Soul Cycle vibe). It even uploads to Strava and from there you can export it to Training Peaks, Golden Cheetah, whatever.

She's right in their demographic: she and her partner are DINKs, they're superbusy with work and unreliable schedules, and they live in a urban area where it's really not that easy to take a quick spin out the door. So it works. I wanted to hate it, but it's a great thing for some folks.
Old 07-17-18, 01:54 PM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I do find the advertising relationship to be an odd one. While on the surface it appears to make sense, a big cycling/exercise brand on the biggest bike race, I'd think that brand's target audience isn't really watching the TDF or has any real interest in bike racing. I think the folks who gravitate toward that product really just want as close to a plug and play experience as possible, including the classes. People I know and to whom I recommended the bike/trainer/software combo have never gone that route, it takes way more mental energy than people are willing to invest. With zwift, I think the drawback to advertising is that they also need to educate the consumer on what they need to actually run the platform. I think they do well enough with the internet publicity and word of mouth that they don't really need to spend money on TV spots, probably not much return on that
I get what you are saying about "that other brand's" targeted audience but I also believe there are a lot of cyclist that don't know much about Zwift that are watching the TDF on NBC Sports. Many cyclists I have spoken to know a little about it but stress about how to get it up and running. I know I did for a long time before I took the plunge given I'm not very tech savvy and don't like fooling with gadgets. Most folks that aren't into cycling have no interest in the TDF or watching it, certainly not paying extra to see it if it's not included in their TV package. So who they are selling these bikes to is a mystery to me.
Old 07-17-18, 01:58 PM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
My sister has a Peleton bike which I rode a few times while visiting over the holidays. It's really well built for a spin bike and there are classes led by Christian Vandevelde which are a lot more tailored to actual cyclists (as opposed to folks who like the Soul Cycle vibe). It even uploads to Strava and from there you can export it to Training Peaks, Golden Cheetah, whatever.

She's right in their demographic: she and her partner are DINKs, they're superbusy with work and unreliable schedules, and they live in a urban area where it's really not that easy to take a quick spin out the door. So it works. I wanted to hate it, but it's a great thing for some folks.
I don't have any doubt that it's a good machine but folks in that demographic, they typically aren't cyclist so why would they even be watching the TDF anyway? I doubt that any cycling enthusiast would choose that brand over Zwift. As far as being time crunched, Zwift is just as convenient, perhaps more so than the other brand.
Old 07-17-18, 02:57 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Hard to imagine, but there are people who watch the Tour who may or may not consider themselves avid cyclists.
Old 07-17-18, 03:16 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by whitemax
I get what you are saying about "that other brand's" targeted audience but I also believe there are a lot of cyclist that don't know much about Zwift that are watching the TDF on NBC Sports. Many cyclists I have spoken to know a little about it but stress about how to get it up and running. I know I did for a long time before I took the plunge given I'm not very tech savvy and don't like fooling with gadgets. Most folks that aren't into cycling have no interest in the TDF or watching it, certainly not paying extra to see it if it's not included in their TV package. So who they are selling these bikes to is a mystery to me.
It's honestly a fair question that you're asking. I think the reason why Zwift doesn't advertise on TV and Peloton does is just down to the goals and nature of each company. Zwift was a grassroots thing that took off through word of mouth and has basically remained as such. Hell, the origin story can be traced on this forum as the original idea and development was posted about by the company founder. They don't feel the need to advertise on a national scale because they continue to grow strongly through word of mouth and promotional events. They aren't selling a physical product, just a subscription to a service you access by using a number of different devices you may already own.

Peloton was a silicon valley sort of enterprise from the start where they took the spin class craze and turned it into a very expensive specific product, raising a ton of venture capital along the way-

Kleiner Perkins-backed Cycling Company Peloton Is Now a Unicorn | Fortune

They have bigger coffers and can afford to advertise on a much larger scale, including TV ads. I think it's as simple as that.
Old 07-19-18, 05:09 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Does Zwift even place ads in eg. bicycling magazine, or online (eg. on GCN or on this very BF site)?
Old 07-19-18, 11:29 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Does Zwift even place ads in eg. bicycling magazine, or online (eg. on GCN or on this very BF site)?
Near as I can tell, Zwift does not advertise at all. They get a ton of reviews/videos from magazines, youtube channels, etc. and they may pay for some of that exposure, but for the most part it really seems to be word of mouth. They even charge bike shops to display custom kits/bikes in the game, and I'd think they are charging companies like Specialized to allow people to "use" their bikes in game. People slag on Zwift for not being real riding and for the cheating and such, but it's really an amazing business success story.
Old 07-19-18, 05:46 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Near as I can tell, Zwift does not advertise at all. They get a ton of reviews/videos from magazines, youtube channels, etc. and they may pay for some of that exposure, but for the most part it really seems to be word of mouth. They even charge bike shops to display custom kits/bikes in the game, and I'd think they are charging companies like Specialized to allow people to "use" their bikes in game. People slag on Zwift for not being real riding and for the cheating and such, but it's really an amazing business success story.
Kinda what I thought.. before anyone sees Zwift producing a TV commercial for media placements, you'd first look to see if they've done much more easily implemented web or magazine ads.
Old 07-20-18, 06:35 AM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
That is my point. I've never heard of a business that did not want to continue to grow. I'm guessing they have to hire some pretty talented programmers to make it work as well as it currently does. With more subscribers, they could afford to hire more and then the whole experience could continue to get better and better. Resting on ones laurels is a perfect recipe for someone else to take your idea, improve on it and take over. Amazon sure didn't get where it is today by word of mouth.

As far as people slagging on Zwift for not being real riding, of course it isn't but neither is using a dumb trainer. Trainers definitely have their application for cyclists and Zwift just makes the experience of using a trainer way more tolerable, some would say enjoyable. I challenge anyone to do their new Alpe du Zwift route and say they didn't get a workout.
Old 07-21-18, 10:18 AM
The next level

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I maybe going in the wrong direction with this but!
is pelaton that expensive vs a $1100 smart trainer, cassette and a dedicated screen for zwift? I'm looking into this due to the fact I busted up my wrist on Thursday. Want to keep my fitness. Plus living in Wisconsin I have winter's to deal with. Opinions wanted.
Thanks
Old 07-21-18, 02:18 PM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by The next level
I maybe going in the wrong direction with this but!
is pelaton that expensive vs a $1100 smart trainer, cassette and a dedicated screen for zwift? I'm looking into this due to the fact I busted up my wrist on Thursday. Want to keep my fitness. Plus living in Wisconsin I have winter's to deal with. Opinions wanted.
Thanks
I’d say it is. $2,000 versus $1,100 for a good trainer (I paid $800 for an Elite Direto and it works great) and your out $900 right there. With Zwift, you’ll probably connect with something you already have. The required monthly subscription for Peleton is $39.99 per month (versus $15 for Zwift) or else you have an expensive clothes hanger. Admittedly, you do have to pay the Zwift subscription or your smart trainer wouldn’t be of much use either.
Old 07-21-18, 02:21 PM
The next level

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I’d say it is. $2,000 versus $1,100 for a good trainer (I paid $800 for an Elite Direto and it works great) and your out $900 right there. With Zwift, you’ll probably connect with something you already have. The required monthly subscription for Peleton is $39.99 per month (versus $15 for Zwift) or else you have an expensive clothes hanger. Admittedly, you do have to pay the Zwift subscription or your smart trainer wouldn’t be of much use either.
I would need another screen, our family shares a laptop. They wouldnt appreciate my thievery....
Old 07-21-18, 04:53 PM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by The next level
I would need another screen, our family shares a laptop. They wouldnt appreciate my thievery....
You could buy a computer with the money you’d save right off the bat by going with a smart trainer. I use Apple TV which is cheaper still. Peloton might be the way to go for you. For me, looking some gal snapping her fingers and talking constantly while leading a class just isn’t my thing.
Old 07-21-18, 05:12 PM
The next level

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You could buy a computer with the money you’d save right off the bat by going with a smart trainer. I use Apple TV which is cheaper still. Peloton might be the way to go for you. For me, looking some gal snapping her fingers and talking constantly while leading a class just isn’t my thing.
I am just weighing the options.