Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Upgrade from Mavic Aksiums

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-18, 08:16 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts

I have a 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 3. I enjoy riding this bike, so I would rather make one or two upgrades instead of upgrading the entire bike. The Cannondale has a Mavic Aksium wheelset, which is fine, but I'd like it to be a bit quicker and with some help with hills. I'm considering a carbon wheelset in the $1,000- 1,500 range. The Bontrager Aero Pro was recommended to me at about $1,000.

What do you recommend? What do you like?
Old 07-19-18, 09:27 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I genuinely don't understand the allure of carbon wheels. It's blingy, but you give up most of your braking performance for... well, I don't know what. You can get an alloy wheelset of similar weight and similar wheel width/depth for less than half the money. I would look at any of the builders putting together wheelsets based off of the Kinlin XR31. They're deep and stiff, so you can get them built with low spoke counts , generally for $500-600, even with upgraded hubs. My 20/24 set was under $500 and under 1600g.

If you've got $1,500 to throw around, pour it into Chris King hubs and CX Ray spokes. With XR31 hoops, under 1500g, about $1000. Nearly half of that is the fancy hubs.

500 bucks left to spend on a bucket full of tires.
Old 07-20-18, 04:29 AM
NILS14

Bikes: Specialized Secteur Sport 2015, Vitus Zenium VRS 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or get Dura Ace wheels - best of both worlds - carbon laminate with alloy braking track
Old 07-20-18, 04:52 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I have Aksiums on my Masi road bike. Heavy but bullet proof. I have Ksyrium Elites on my Guru road bike. Lighter and also pretty robust. Although I understand the allure of CF wheels, the downside of braking (rim brakes) and price put me off.
Old 07-20-18, 07:08 AM
Terdrocket

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 17 Cannondale Evo 105 with the Aksiums. I recently upgraded to the Reynolds R4 wheels. For the $$$, I am more than satisfied and happy with my carbon wheels.
I can absolutely tell that they are an upgrade in the increased smoothness/comfort over uneven pavement and the additional speed I can maintain.
I have not noticed any issues with braking. Feels the same as my old wheels, but I do live in N. Florida and ride a straight 12' wide paved rail trail.
I hope this helps.
Old 07-20-18, 10:53 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Originally Posted by Terdrocket
I have a 17 Cannondale Evo 105 with the Aksiums. I recently upgraded to the Reynolds R4 wheels. For the $$$, I am more than satisfied and happy with my carbon wheels.
I can absolutely tell that they are an upgrade in the increased smoothness/comfort over uneven pavement and the additional speed I can maintain.
I have not noticed any issues with braking. Feels the same as my old wheels, but I do live in N. Florida and ride a straight 12' wide paved rail trail.
I hope this helps.
How is the braking with those in the rain?
Old 07-20-18, 10:57 AM
SSRI

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by NILS14
Or get Dura Ace wheels - best of both worlds - carbon laminate with alloy braking track
if you are going to have 1 set of wheels.
+1 on DA C24, they are my go to wheels for most rides.
Old 07-20-18, 12:15 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by SSRI
if you are going to have 1 set of wheels.
+1 on DA C24, they are my go to wheels for most rides.
Isnt the "new" Ultegra wheels an alloy/carbon construction. Cant recall the model name but Im betting they are less $ than DA. Imo, keep the Mavics in working order for a rainy day.
Old 07-20-18, 07:32 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I ride one of several carbon wheelsets most of the time.

Braking is just not an issue- wet or dry.

The main unfavorable situation would be PNW type conditions with lots of road grit & excess wear.

Agree that Aksiums are highly upgradeable, & got a chuckle from the idea of help on the Florida hills.

China carbons are pretty attractive.
Old 07-20-18, 09:28 PM
Bassmanbob

Originally Posted by woodcraft
I ride one of several carbon wheelsets most of the time.

Braking is just not an issue- wet or dry.

The main unfavorable situation would be PNW type conditions with lots of road grit & excess wear.

Agree that Aksiums are highly upgradeable, & got a chuckle from the idea of help on the Florida hills.

China carbons are pretty attractive.
I like hearing that wet conditions are not a concern, but the wet and gritty conditions are a concern. There seems to be sand around everywhere, which is especially noticeable when it's raining here-- that's often during the summer.

I would prefer not to purchase China carbons.

As far as hills are concerned, I do train hills once a week as can be done here in southeast Florida-- usually with about 1,000 ft of elevation on a 20 mile training ride. When I trained for the Horrible Hundred (4,700 ft) or the GFNY New York (8,500 ft), I routinely put on 3,000- 5,000 ft of elevation on Saturday morning rides 6-8 weeks leading up to the events. They're boring rides of repeated hills, but it can be done. I'm also considering the Six Gap in Georgia next year that has 11,500 ft of elevation. So yeah... hills in Florida.
Old 07-20-18, 09:35 PM
Bassmanbob

So the lesson today is that carbon wheels are not the wheel set choice for everyone. I will look into the DA C24s and others as well.
Old 07-21-18, 10:20 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I genuinely don't understand the allure of carbon wheels.
Carbon basically took over, as far as frames go. Lot of bars and posts and even brake levers, too. I think a lot of people just think "lighter, stiffer" and assume any goodness in a carbon frame automatically applies to rims too. Plus while there are some excellent ti and steel frames being made, all the best wheels are carbon. I think all that stuff together creates a sort of allure in a lot of peoples' minds.

A nice thing about carbon rims is they don't bend. If you don't hit them hard enough to break them, they'll come back to perfectly true.
Old 07-21-18, 03:46 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Bontrager Aeolus Pro

I just put a set of Bontrager Aeolus Pro 5s on my 2007 Madone 5.0. The rear Race wheel cracked so I had an excuse to upgrade. As for braking. The CF wheels came with Swisstop pads. They work so much better in the dry. I have not used them in the wet yet. The old Race rims were scary in the wet.

The ride is improved. Smoother on rougher stuff. Bearing seal friction was high at first but is better after 500 miles. Aero is better of course. 2 mph improvement of average speed on the first ride. Could be mental improvement or just riding more.

Oh I weight 210 lbs so weight was not high on my list. They are lighter than the Race wheels. 222 grams. Main reason I got them was in the reviews they held up well. No reported failures or adjustments. Supposed to be durable. 2 year warranty. Got them from the LBS but hole I don’t have to take advantage of the warranty. The old Race wheel was replaced due to cracks after I had it for less then 6 months.

They do look good with the 5.0 flat black frame. Pro 3s would have looked less bold. Id
look less like a poser. But I’ll get used to the Pro 5s.

New Wheels

Old Wheels. (about 10 years ago)

Last edited by biker128pedal; 07-21-18 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-21-18, 07:17 PM
Bassmanbob

What’s the difference between the Bontrager Pro 3 and the Pro 5?
Old 07-22-18, 07:30 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Pro

About 20 mm.

Pro 5 is 50mm and Pro 3 is 30mm tall. For the Pro 5 one needs 80mm stem tubes. I have 60mm right now. The floor pump just barely works

Oh they are tubeless reasdy. They come with rim strips for tubes and rim strips for tubeless. And the tubeless stems. I run tubes.
Old 07-22-18, 08:43 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
I would go with Fulcrum or Shimano. Say Racing 3s or Ultegra. Do not buy anything with expensive and overrated boutique hubs. All hubs need yearly servicing, and the boutique hubs simply make this more difficult and expensive. The mid range and above Shimano hubs are the best sealed and most serviceable of the two dozen or so wheelsets I own. Campy / Fulcrum hubs are not far behind, and are somewhat easier to service.

Go alu rims. I have at least 3 sets of expensive carbon hoops somewhere, but the alu wheels are the ones that get used.

Finally: performance: you cannot obtain elite level performance with clinchers. The clincher rim design is fundamentally flawed, so that in terms of rotating weight and safety, there is no overlap with tubulars. No matter how much you spend. If you are watching Le Tour: be reminded that every rider is on tubulars - on every stage. So don't spend too much on clinchers. If you are riding for money, you will be on tubulars.
Old 07-22-18, 12:27 PM
Bassmanbob

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
I would go with Fulcrum or Shimano. Say Racing 3s or Ultegra. Do not buy anything with expensive and overrated boutique hubs. All hubs need yearly servicing, and the boutique hubs simply make this more difficult and expensive. The mid range and above Shimano hubs are the best sealed and most serviceable of the two dozen or so wheelsets I own. Campy / Fulcrum hubs are not far behind, and are somewhat easier to service.

Go alu rims. I have at least 3 sets of expensive carbon hoops somewhere, but the alu wheels are the ones that get used.

Finally: performance: you cannot obtain elite level performance with clinchers. The clincher rim design is fundamentally flawed, so that in terms of rotating weight and safety, there is no overlap with tubulars. No matter how much you spend. If you are watching Le Tour: be reminded that every rider is on tubulars - on every stage. So don't spend too much on clinchers. If you are riding for money, you will be on tubulars.
Wow, Dave. You're lightyears beyond what I'm looking to do. I had to look up what tubular and clinchers were. There's no way I would consider tubular rims. I'm a 53 year-old guy who's trying to improve to a B+ rider by working with a coach, losing some weight (on my body) and upgrading my wheels. But I'm glad you mentioned those terms. Thanks to you, I learned more about bikes today.

I'm not in a rush to do an upgrade, so I'll discuss aluminum vs carbon with my LBS and members of my local cycling club. I appreciate everyone's input and welcome more as any of you see fit.
Old 07-22-18, 12:37 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
So the lesson today is that carbon wheels are not the wheel set choice for everyone. I will look into the DA C24s and others as well.
HED Jet 6+ (also an aluminum rim with carbon fairing) is $1100 at Competitive Cyclist right now. I wish I could justify them.
Old 07-22-18, 03:09 PM
biker128pedal

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
HED Jet 6+ (also an aluminum rim with carbon fairing) is $1100 at Competitive Cyclist right now. I wish I could justify them.
Those Jet 6+ wheels are nice. Too bad for me they are rated at 190 pounds. The rear hub has a grease fitting.

Bassmanbob. I read in more detail your first original post. Talk to the guys at your LBS. Sound like you trust them. You may want light weight aluminum rims for climbing. Just watch the weight. For me I wanted to build my next set of wheels. I've built a whopping 4 sets over 57 years. Or may it is 5. Anyway my rear wheel rim broke the day before the 4th. I was off the rest of the week. I panicked and justified the new wheels. Peer pressure is also to blame. When I ride them it is like when I first got the Madone 5.0 (5.0 road better for me than the 5.2), the ride justified them.
Old 07-22-18, 03:20 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Those Jet 6+ wheels are nice. Too bad for me they are rated at 190 pounds. The rear hub has a grease fitting.
You can get the Stallion build from MBS for the same price.

https://mybikeshop.com/products/hed-jet-6-plus.html
Old 07-22-18, 03:54 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
I just put a set of Bontrager Aeolus Pro 5s on my 2007 Madone 5.0. The rear Race wheel cracked so I had an excuse to upgrade. As for braking. The CF wheels came with Swisstop pads. They work so much better in the dry. I have not used them in the wet yet. The old Race rims were scary in the wet.

The ride is improved. Smoother on rougher stuff. Bearing seal friction was high at first but is better after 500 miles. Aero is better of course. 2 mph improvement of average speed on the first ride. Could be mental improvement or just riding more.

Oh I weight 210 lbs so weight was not high on my list. They are lighter than the Race wheels. 222 grams. Main reason I got them was in the reviews they held up well. No reported failures or adjustments. Supposed to be durable. 2 year warranty. Got them from the LBS but hole I don’t have to take advantage of the warranty. The old Race wheel was replaced due to cracks after I had it for less then 6 months.

They do look good with the 5.0 flat black frame. Pro 3s would have looked less bold. Id
look less like a poser. But I’ll get used to the Pro 5s.

New Wheels

Old Wheels. (about 10 years ago)

The various grays in that second pic are nice.
Old 07-22-18, 06:42 PM
Terdrocket

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
How is the braking with those in the rain?
I haven't noticed any worse wet braking than before, which is of course very poor compared to disc brakes.
Old 07-22-18, 07:21 PM
biker128pedal

Picture

Humbug. Thanks. I need a better picture with the new wheels. This may be a little better.

[img]blob:https://www.bikeforums.net/45683bab-e013-4bd5-8b8b-8d0e3ce9c068
[img]blob:https://www.bikeforums.net/ece8f5ca-a2f2-4ac6-b430-bcc6e46ec4fb

Last edited by biker128pedal; 07-23-18 at 10:02 PM.