Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front Derailleur area noise.

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-05-18, 05:59 PM
BCuyle

Bikes: Diamondback apex w/deore dx, Breezer radar pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a "Breezer Radar Pro bike that I bought a few months back. I love the bike except for a lingering noise that only crops up if I am climbing out of the saddle or sprinting hard. To me it sounds like the chain rubbing on the front derailleur (it is an Shimano FD-T6000). Other than this the bike is smooth and everything is quite functional. This is my first bike with SRAM shifters, . On my older bikes I could just feather the front derailleur to keep the chain centered. I have tried looking down when the noise crops up both climbing and sprinting and I cannot see any flex or movement in the chainring area. It is a threaded bottom bracket so a bearing is not high on my suspicions but possible. ??? I have a good bike shop that I am planning to take it to if I cannot figure it out myself. I bought the bike at "Performance" which is a ways from home and feel like leaving it for a week to not have the problem corrected. sooo....... Any ideas out there?
Old 10-05-18, 06:22 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 2,294 Posts
One of the costs of indexed ft ders is the reduction of trimming, SRAM is particularly at fault in this. Their solution is to sculpt the ft der cage just so. But many feel this is a poor substitute for proper trim ability in the shifter.

As the control cables and casing wear in the ideal positioning of the ft der cage suffers. Has the bike had it's, hopefully, free initial service yet? Andy
Old 10-05-18, 06:45 PM
BCuyle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
One of the costs of indexed ft ders is the reduction of trimming, SRAM is particularly at fault in this. Their solution is to sculpt the ft der cage just so. But many feel this is a poor substitute for proper trim ability in the shifter.

As the control cables and casing wear in the ideal positioning of the ft der cage suffers. Has the bike had it's, hopefully, free initial service yet? Andy
Yes, I have taken it in twice, everything gone over, the bike mechanic seem very good but overwhelmed with work. I may be at fault for not properly describing the noise. I notice on the new derailleur how narrow the chain guide is. Maybe raising or lower the entire thing. I am planning a trip to Velo Republic bikeshop next week anyway. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-05-18, 06:47 PM
BCuyle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart

Just out of curiosity where do you find room for all of your bikes. Not a bad thing by any means.
Old 10-05-18, 06:51 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

My wife tells me I have too many bikes... Garage, the bike room (converted breezeway) and the attic. Bikes in progress are in the basement. Andy
Old 10-08-18, 06:43 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Ahhh, the advantages of friction shifting
Jon
Old 10-09-18, 06:51 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BCuyle
Just out of curiosity where do you find room for all of your bikes. Not a bad thing by any means.
Forget that - what about time to give each bike enough saddle time that it does not feel neglected, while keeping your wife happy as well! (I initially constructed that sentence a little differently, but thought better of it)
Old 10-09-18, 08:04 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes have no feelings. Wives do. Andy
Old 10-09-18, 09:34 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon T
Ahhh, the advantages of friction shifting
Jon
My Campagnolo 10-speed indexing allows trim on the front derailleur. The Front has multiple clicks so chain rub can be avoided.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 10-10-18, 04:44 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
I have a "Breezer Radar Pro bike that I bought a few months back. I love the bike except for a lingering noise that only crops up if I am climbing out of the saddle or sprinting hard. To me it sounds like the chain rubbing on the front derailleur (it is an Shimano FD-T6000). Other than this the bike is smooth and everything is quite functional. This is my first bike with SRAM shifters, . On my older bikes I could just feather the front derailleur to keep the chain centered. I have tried looking down when the noise crops up both climbing and sprinting and I cannot see any flex or movement in the chainring area. It is a threaded bottom bracket so a bearing is not high on my suspicions but possible. ??? I have a good bike shop that I am planning to take it to if I cannot figure it out myself. I bought the bike at "Performance" which is a ways from home and feel like leaving it for a week to not have the problem corrected. sooo....... Any ideas out there?
So your new bike has SRAM shifters with a 10 speed, 3X front derailleur?? That doesn't sound right.
Old 10-11-18, 04:11 PM
BCuyle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
So your new bike has SRAM shifters with a 10 speed, 3X front derailleur?? That doesn't sound right.
No it is a 2 x 10, it has 48/32 chainrings on the front and a ten speed cassette.
Old 10-11-18, 04:16 PM
BCuyle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
I like that yours has fine adjustments to remove chain rub, I am changing the front chainrings to 42/28 next week. I will ask if there are any options with SRAM for dealing with this annoyance. All I have ever had is lever shifters so this is all new to me.
Old 10-12-18, 08:17 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
No it is a 2 x 10, it has 48/32 chainrings on the front and a ten speed cassette.
Post a pic of the FD. The model you listed is a 3X.