Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The Annual "Put My Bike Away for Winter" Thread

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

The Annual "Put My Bike Away for Winter" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-18, 03:25 PM
RHETTORIC

Bikes: Diamondback Podium 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't stop! Commuting any other way just feels wrong now and so inconvenient.

It isn't the cold or wet that bothers me though. If anything, I worry about slipping – and other commuters. You can be as safe as you want, but that won't change how other people respond in adverse weather.

But I'm going to continue to ride to work until I feel it is just too dangerous – or until my bike lane gets covered with snow and ice. Pray for me.

Old 11-27-18, 03:44 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
Originally Posted by RHETTORIC
I can't stop! Commuting any other way just feels wrong now and so inconvenient.
Half the time when I drive I forget my badge or something else that is just part of my daily routine on the bike
Old 11-27-18, 03:46 PM
RHETTORIC

Bikes: Diamondback Podium 1

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Half the time when I drive I forget my badge or something else that is just part of my daily routine on the bike
Exactly. Biking makes the world better.
Old 11-27-18, 04:12 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Hah! My experience exactly. For the first week of driving to work, I forgot something almost every day. It took me all that time just to re-organize and get all the stuff I need for work out of my panniers!
Old 11-27-18, 07:41 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
One tool to stay organized, a new practice for me, is to empty my bag completely both at home and at work. That way I know I have what I need. I also have a small pouch for the small things I carry such as a USB adapter, a flashlight, etc. I don't always check the pouch's contents, but I check to see that I have it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-27-18, 09:23 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
There is some kind of war going on between IB and r-e-d-d-i-t, so try this link instead.
I just realized that reading text from drivers complaining about traffic is satisfying and makes me want to shake up some popcorn. Some of it borders on poetry:

" It’s predictable in other places. Boston’s traffic just appears because f*ck you and your day. "

Here is a Haiku version:

Been in other places
Boston's traffic just appears
F*ck you and your day

Last edited by Archwhorides; 11-27-18 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-27-18, 10:40 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I also have a small pouch for the small things I carry such as a USB adapter, a flashlight, etc. I don't always check the pouch's contents, but I check to see that I have it.

One tool to stay organized, a new practice for me, is to empty my bag completely both at home and at work. That way I know I have what I need.
A few years ago I posted to this A&S thread, Bicycling or not, what items do you take with you that you never leave home without?:
Originally Posted by powerhouse
Whether you are on a bicycle ride or not, what items do you always bring with you or 'never leave home without? The list can be surprising. I'll start…
Originally Posted by lostarchitect
Don't a lot of these things go without saying for the vast majority of people? Clothing (a jacket is clothing, too), footwear, keys, money, ID, cell phone etc.

It's probably more interesting to ask what non-standard things do people always have with them. In my case I pretty much always have a good pocket knife, a small flashlight, a small tape measure, a rugged pen, and a small notebook. I usually also have a book that I am reading
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have a flat mesh black bag, about 8 x 6 x 3 inches I call my “clutch bag” with some of my non-standard items I take everywhere, including bike rides:
  • Nailclipper, I hate hangnails
    • Callus cushions and tape for a callus over my fourth right metatarsal bone; occasionally hurts walking or pedaling
    • Extra pair of eyeglasses with lens wipes and lens cleaner because I am so nearsighted. I was in a couple of bike crashes, and glasses got bent.
    • Mints for dry mouth
    • Hairbrush especially for helmet hair. I wear gel, and HH easily brushes out
    used to compulsively carry Chapstick after one windy ride long ago, but gave it up after a few years.
    Washington Post
    Sunday, December 14, 2008

Let's make a list of the important things you need before walking out the door: Wallet: Check. Cellphone: Check. Keys: Check. Lip balm?

You slap your back pocket. Nope. Rummage through your bag. Nada. Search the bedside table. Negative.
    This is a problem. A huge, paralyzing problem. You are a lip balm addict, after all. And you are not alone.

Countless Facebook groups are dedicated to the "crackstick" in all its varieties: ChapStick, Blistex, Burt's Bees, Carmex. Any lip lubricant that comes in a tube or a tub. There are online quizzes that measure how addicted you are to ChapStick. (Question: When you are wearing only a bathing suit, do you have ChapStick on you at all times?)

And there is a self-help Web site, Lip Balm Anonymous (Lip Balm Anonymous), dedicated to helping lip balm addicts.
    Also, for cycling or otherwise, I wear a backpack with space for lightweight extra clothes for temperature variations, to put on or remove (since I ride a carbon fiber bike).

Yesterday I left for my 14 mile one-way commute and rode 2.5 miles until I realized I left home without it. The clutch bag fits in my always-attached seat bag (or into the backpack when not riding..

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-28-18 at 05:26 AM.
Old 11-27-18, 10:54 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
I just realized that reading text from drivers complaining about traffic is satisfying and makes me want to shake up some popcorn. Some of it borders on poetry:

" It’s predictable in other places. Boston’s traffic just appears because f*ck you and your day. "

Here is a Haiku version:

Been in other places
Boston's traffic just appears
F*ck you and your day
Last week I replied to this General Cycling Dsiccussion thread,thread, "
Do Cyclists Have a Negative Reputation?"
…One public reflection of those motorists’ attitudes is occasionally expressed on a talk radio show here in Boston, The Howie Carr Show with anti-cycling rants as the topic
Personally, I did not think the … callers to the talk show were particularly hateful, though one snow plow driver did admit to being slowed by a cyclist on a narrow road, and as he passed the cyclist he plowed out a wave of slush to his right.

This winter of historic snowfalls though did bring out more hostility than usual.

Nonetheless “hatred” is way too strong a word; IMO here in Boston, more like “exasperation.”...
One thing I found funny was that he referred to cyclists as a new “protected” class, the ”Spandex-Americans.” As funny IMO, as ”Gyno-Americans.”
Old 11-28-18, 06:23 AM
SactoDoug
eMail Sold to Spammers

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I put my bike away for the winter when Daylight Savings time hit. I don't trust the heavy traffic where I live to ride in the dark. I'll be back on my bikes in March or April. In between, I'll be on my trainer or my jogging bike.
Old 11-28-18, 07:47 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
I rode home last night and it was below freezing or right at most of the time. I like my new headlights set up. I was beside a car with only one headlight and my bike lights were whiter and brighter than their car. It happened many times on the ride home.
Old 11-28-18, 08:28 PM
DIY masochist

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, 1977 Motobecane Super Mirage

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We just got a decent amount of snow and now there's salt out, so I think it's time to put the bike away for the winter. I've been fantasizing recently about doing a winter / crappy weather build out of a mountain bike, with big tires, fenders, a single chainring and an internally geared hub. I was checking out the DBR Axis TT because it's titanium, but I don't know if I can justify the cost of that for a bike that's going to be abused. I do have an aluminum Cannondale Trail SL4 laying around that I almost never ride though... Maybe I could try to find a rigid fork for it so the suspension doesn't get ruined by salt.

There's a lot on the menu for winter maintenance including replacing the disc brake rotor, chain, cassette, and possibly converting to bullhorns on the Surly, then a BB overhaul and shifter cables / housing on the vintage Motobecane.