Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I want other people to enjoy cycling.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

I want other people to enjoy cycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-18, 01:39 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
How'd you end up in Indiana?
It was easy, I was born here and never left!
Old 12-06-18, 01:40 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton

It was easy, I was born here and never left!
Honest.
Old 12-06-18, 01:44 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Honest.
It must be pretty obvious. Hoosiers don’t generally enjoy a positive reputation.
Old 12-06-18, 04:17 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
People ask me how I got my last name. I tell them it runs in the family.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-06-18, 04:21 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by noglider
I'm going the opposite way for my daughter. My bro has 3 kids already name is already passed on; partners name has a chance now to pass on; seems good for the grandparents.
Old 12-06-18, 04:25 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I'm going the opposite way for my daughter. My bro has 3 kids already name is already passed on; partners name has a chance now to pass on; seems good for the grandparents.
I had a neighbor whose brother had a different last name. Their parents thought that the two boys should each have the last name of one of the parents.

I'm the end of the line. My paternal grandfather had four kids: three boys and a girl. All the boys had daughters except for me. I had two daughters. But one is gay and may have a kid and may pass our name down, so we will see.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-06-18, 04:35 PM
acidfast7
Banned

I had a neighbor whose brother had a different last name. Their parents thought that the two boys should each have the last name of one of the parents.

I'm the end of the line. My paternal grandfather had four kids: three boys and a girl. All the boys had daughters except for me. I had two daughters. But one is gay and may have a kid and may pass our name down, so we will see.
Still have tons of time. My gf's (40) parents (80) are excited to be getting their first grandchild. So, it's fitting that the name passes on!
Old 12-06-18, 04:36 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts

It must be pretty obvious. Hoosiers don’t generally enjoy a positive reputation.
I was smuggled across the Illinois border in the dead of night when I was one year old. (True story). Became Hoosier by default
Old 12-06-18, 05:14 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

All 3 of my kids are step kids, so end the line for me. Of my two brothers, one has all foster children and the other has 4 boys. I’m not at all disappointed to not keep my last name going. My wife took it when we got married out of tradition, but it doesn’t mean much to me or to her. I usually call her by her first name anyway. Honestly saying her first name and my last name sort of sounds like my sister. That’s a little weird.
Old 12-06-18, 05:43 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Ok that made me snicker
Old 12-06-18, 06:45 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Ok not much interesting feedback but really funny.
Old 12-06-18, 08:51 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Round and round we go. Cycling is an activity, not a religion. Someone with more time on their hands than I have could have a lot of fun satirizing it as a religion though. Doing anything with a bike doesn’t require renouncing anything. There’s no conversion. It doesn’t require a change in anybody’s existing belief structure to ride a bike in any fashion or really to do anything with a bike at all.
I have no religion and no kids, (and not looking to adopt any even if they do like bikes, sorry) but there is a conversion in my family!

Old 12-07-18, 12:50 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Perhaps an invite for sensible folk who enjoy riding bicycles to regroup over here?

It's been up and down as time has gone on, but it seems to me that the balance of practical or bicycle-related content vs. borderline P&R content in LCF has skewed heavily toward the latter in the past several years. What was once a source that had some practical information from time to time now seems to have very little cycling content, despite the attempts of a few members to bump the useful threads.
Old 12-07-18, 01:54 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Since I still feel compelled to share for whatever reason, here's a little Google Earth street view photo montage of my commute from home to work ….On and on I babble.
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Don't know about now, but in the olden days of about six years ago the Kool Kidz- of 50+were real big on babbling.
Several years ago I gave up on the 50+ section as it was dominated by a handful of fellows who wanted to maintain a tight clique with their in jokes and too cool for school kaffee klatsch banter.

That purpose probably was overcome with the advent of Facebook.
Your post count suggests you’re not so bad at babbling yourself. I’ll go check out 50+ if you’ll be my babbling buddy over there.
Maybe 50+ will take me as an honorary.My hair is thinning, my beard is gray, and I’m in the late stage of denial about the early stages of arthritis.
JimfromBoston would be your ideal babbling buddy.

You both seem to share a need for non stop quoting and repetition of your own previously posted pearls of wisdom
Evidently you at least find it entertaining otherwise you’d not keep coming back to my thread.

I aim to please you. I wouldn’t consider my babbling wisdom, but since you do, I’ll keep repeating it. Wisdom is best shared, no?
Since I post to different threads, at different times, I just assume it’s to a new readership, and in that sense, not repetitive.I have previously posted about my “non stop quoting and repetition of [my] own previously posted pearls of wisdom.”

Back in 2008 when I joined BikeForums I wrote in my Introduction:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have been perusing this site for a few weeks and I have had several comments to make so I hope to make useful contributions to future discussion threads, as well as glean from the comments of others….[then in 2018]
(on a now-closed thread) I think I have absorbed all the good advice I can for a complete and agreeable cycling lifestyle, and recently I have clicked on many fewer threads than before.

In the past I have offered IMO several useful suggestions about cycling, particularly for winter and urban cycling, to multiple repetitive threads. They are usually lost in the morass of often scores of replies, both in agreement and dispute with mine.

I’m not especially motivated to read or write about rides in areas I will never visit, or bikes I would not buy.
Other cyclists’ biking stories are often meaningful to me, but usually not consequential enough for a reply.

Frankly, now my main enjoyment is reading the personal clashes on the various threads, such as these current ones: "I work with a moron", or ”How often do you check your mirror?.”...

I think that the use of quote boxes, which I have not seen elsewhere is a remarkable way to graphically diagram a dialogue. Personally for me, as a diversion, it’ s challenging to arrange the quotes, and to find them in prior threads. I think it’s a succinct way to capture the variety of a topic.
So with my experiences in cycling, and my frequent posting over the years, if I have replied on a recurrent topic, written to my satisfaction, I’ll just quote it. A further challenge then becomes finding the post…
So since we seem to correspond to so many concurrent threads, thanks, @I-Like-To-Bike , for being a dedicated camp-follower. As usual, FWIW.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-07-18 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-07-18, 02:20 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I have no religion and no kids, (and not looking to adopt any even if they do like bikes, sorry) but there is a conversion in my family!

That's awesome! I've been thinking about a similar conversion for this one, as it's a little long for me in the top tube (59cm!) for drop bars:
Old 12-09-18, 04:46 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

I appreciate Jim from Boston’s posts. The Forum is a really limiting means of communication. It’s harder to create context. Jim makes it work. I guess to some people it might not make sense, but I get it. I appreciate the reference material. If a person wants to stay sharp and maintain a skill set more engaging than just hammering away at a keyboard going for max keystrokes a minute, this would be a good way to do it. I use half keyboard (PC), half thumbs (mobile). It’s a weird combination of experiences. I’m not a communication expert, but my wife is. If Jim does all that quote nesting mobile, that’s another thing.

Edit: I’m too lazy to tag Jim directly while mobile. Sorry, Jim.
Old 12-10-18, 05:49 AM
Jim from Boston

I appreciate Jim from Boston’s posts. The Forum is a really limiting means of communication. It’s harder to create context. Jim makes it work. I guess to some people it might not make sense, but I get it.

I appreciate the reference material. If a person wants to stay sharp and maintain a skill set more engaging than just hammering away at a keyboard going for max keystrokes a minute, this would be a good way to do it. I use half keyboard (PC), half thumbs (mobile). It’s a weird combination of experiences.

I’m not a communication expert, but my wife is. If Jim does all that quote nesting mobile, that’s another thing.

Thanks for that nice post @Phamilton . FYA, I have posted previously about my posting style:
Posting has become an avocation for me. Since my job requires writing formal reports, with legal implications, I consider myself a “wordsmith,” and beside the exchange of information and ideas, I enjoy the mechanics of writing, such as grammar, composition , style, etc. for that additional mental stimulation.
and posting is a form of escape. A radio commentator, Dennis Prager once suggested that one should take a vacation everyday; not to physically “get away,” but do something different during the day, and that’s posting for me.
So with my experiences in cycling, and my frequent posting over the years, if I have replied on a recurrent topic, written to my satisfaction, I’ll just quote it. A further challenge then becomes finding the post.

Regards however to my specific style using the quote function, I have described it in previous Forum posts:
…Last year I came upon a post that to me embodied the communication style that I like about BF. In response to a long quote, @turbo1889 wrote [not to me]:
Originally Posted by turbo1889
First of all you have no need to apologize for a lengthy post, least of all to me of all people.

Part of the reason I like forums as apposed to other forms of written communal internet forms is because I consider it the "long deep conversation format" rather then the quick short snappy sound bite like format like twitter and such.
So when I nest quotes, I feel I’m emulating a conversation…”He said," then “You said," then “I said, and now I’m saying…” I leave my quotes as links to identify the author, and if anyone is interested in reading further, or verifying those quotes, they can easily be followed right from the post.

Instead of just snipping,…I use ellipses,"..." to eliminate as much as possible, and still leave the context of the quote comprehensible; and I [underline or] bold key words and phrases to emphasize the core content of the discussion.

While even if nobody reads my posts, I do try to communicate clearly to the reader. At least I try to evenly space, and keep my paragraphs short for easier readability, FWIW.
I prefer more the experiential discussions on BF rather than the technical/materiel (hardware) Forums, so I daily visit General Discussion, Advocacy & Safety, Commuting, Fifty-Plus, Living Car Free, Road Cycling, Touring, and seasonally, Winter Cycling….
I write at a PC since it takes a lot of copying and pasting to nest quotes. In addition, BF often splits quotes, and it takes further finagling (link) to fuse the split quotes.
Old 12-10-18, 05:54 AM
acidfast7
Banned

I appreciate Jim from Boston’s posts. The Forum is a really limiting means of communication. It’s harder to create context. Jim makes it work. I guess to some people it might not make sense, but I get it. I appreciate the reference material. If a person wants to stay sharp and maintain a skill set more engaging than just hammering away at a keyboard going for max keystrokes a minute, this would be a good way to do it. I use half keyboard (PC), half thumbs (mobile). It’s a weird combination of experiences. I’m not a communication expert, but my wife is. If Jim does all that quote nesting mobile, that’s another thing.

The mobile version of the website is rubbish.

Is there an App (the horror of using that word) that works with BF?
Old 12-10-18, 01:47 PM
Jim from Boston

PS to @Phamilton:
I appreciate Jim from Boston’s posts. The Forum is a really limiting means of communication. It’s harder to create context. Jim makes it work.

I guess to some people it might not make sense, but I get it...
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Jim from somewhere between New Jersey and Vermont gave us a post which is more than one foot long...

The rest of you just need to surrender and bow down.
Originally Posted by ksryder
…Wow. That is masterful. I've always thought it was just self-indulgent and convoluted, but now I see that they are really performance art.

Bravo, sir. Bravo.
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Thanks for the vertigo JFB.
You’re welcome. I am an Artiste, a.k.a. James de Boston.
Old 12-10-18, 02:46 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
PS...

"You’re welcome. I am an Artiste, a.k.a. James de Boston."