Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ultra light gear

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Ultra light gear

Old 12-02-18, 12:13 PM
halfmile

Bikes: '76 ROMIC Touring Pro 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ultra light gear

As a long time ultra light backpacker, since 1976, I am looking for a set of lightweight rear panniers.....my base weight three season backpack gear is under 9 lbs.....looking to use rear mount panniers.....anyone know of any cottage industry manufacture that makes light weight panniers ?
Old 12-02-18, 12:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Arkel DryLites are pretty lightweight and come from a reputable manufacturer. I have the heavy GT-54s and love them (though something lightweight would be neat)
Old 12-02-18, 12:48 PM
fourfa

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
+1 Arkel DryLites. A bit hard to parse online reviews because they've made some running changes since they were introduced, and straight up lied exaggerated about the specs for a time. I have two pairs, both are 500g and 25L for the pair. It's hard to beat those numbers; nothing else I've seen on the market comes close.

FWIW a lot of people could fit 9 lb baseweight into soft bikepacking gear, and forgo the rear rack. As it happens I toured with a friend who had an earlier pair of Dry-Lites (~4 years old), and I could not get my 15" laptop (macbook pro) to fit inside. My pairs purchased last year, same laptop fits just fine and rolls down waterproof. I'm a photographer, and I'm not interested in touring without pro camera gear and computer - try fitting that gear in bikepacking bags.

The default attachment method on the Dry-Lites is clumsy though. Be prepared to get a bit creative with scissors, needle and thread, elastic shock cord etc to get them to mount rock solid on your bike without miles of excess velcro and straps.
Old 12-02-18, 01:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Ortlieb Plus fabric is a Cordura with a special thick PU coating
the production uses to weld together waterproof seams..

the Classic is more a Truck Tarp fabric also welded seam..
it is a heavier product ...

Mounting scheme is superb, on Ortlieb..
hence they sell very well .

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-03-18 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-02-18, 02:37 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
With that light of a load, you might consider just using a drybag strapped on top of the rear rack. Maybe something in 20 to 25 liter range if your volume can be kept down that small?

I know a gal that finished the AT with a pack down to only about 12 pounds excluding food and water. If you are at 9, that is impressive, congratulations.
Old 12-02-18, 03:11 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by fourfa
The default attachment method on the Dry-Lites is clumsy though. Be prepared to get a bit creative with scissors, needle and thread, elastic shock cord etc to get them to mount rock solid on your bike without miles of excess velcro and straps.
Would you think that creativity can make them compatible with (front) low-riders? (eg. Tubus Tara)
Old 12-02-18, 04:38 PM
fourfa

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Would you think that creativity can make them compatible with (front) low-riders? (eg. Tubus Tara)
Sure. They come apart if you undo the main velcro straps. You could forgo those straps entirely and just use the D-rings at the corners - as supplied they're cheap plastic, so you'd want to replace them with something stronger, but the webbing loop they mount to is as strong as the main straps. Or sew some matching velcro onto the fork-facing outer surface, shorten the main strap, and use all 4 mounting points that way. I've been looking into a very simple high-rider setup where the main straps go over a very minimal rack that only extends ~4" front and back of the fork; got some designs sketched out but still need to construct it.
Old 12-02-18, 08:49 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
+1 Arkel DryLites. A bit hard to parse online reviews because they've made some running changes since they were introduced, and straight up lied exaggerated about the specs for a time. I have two pairs, both are 500g and 25L for the pair. It's hard to beat those numbers; nothing else I've seen on the market comes close.

FWIW a lot of people could fit 9 lb baseweight into soft bikepacking gear, and forgo the rear rack. As it happens I toured with a friend who had an earlier pair of Dry-Lites (~4 years old), and I could not get my 15" laptop (macbook pro) to fit inside. My pairs purchased last year, same laptop fits just fine and rolls down waterproof. I'm a photographer, and I'm not interested in touring without pro camera gear and computer - try fitting that gear in bikepacking bags.

I have to disagree, my older ones, the first generation, went on my regular old rear rack without any issues, just had to figure out how best to loop the velcro through my particular racks parts, and there was no excess velcro or straps to deal with.
The one thing to mention with them though is that they do not come off or go on as fast as regular panniers, and it would be annoying day after day.
I see them as an ul setup, so staying in hotels is possible, so you can just leave them on the bike bringing bike in room.
I personally have always brought my panniers into my tent, so this is their main downside , but they are super light for someone witha small setup, and as said, if you have a rack, other stuff can go on top of rear rack easily in a dry bag or whatever.
Old 12-02-18, 08:55 PM
djb

Sure. They come apart if you undo the main velcro straps. You could forgo those straps entirely and just use the D-rings at the corners - as supplied they're cheap plastic, so you'd want to replace them with something stronger, but the webbing loop they mount to is as strong as the main straps. Or sew some matching velcro onto the fork-facing outer surface, shorten the main strap, and use all 4 mounting points that way. I've been looking into a very simple high-rider setup where the main straps go over a very minimal rack that only extends ~4" front and back of the fork; got some designs sketched out but still need to construct it.
I too thought a lot about using them on a front rack, and came to the conclusion that if I were serious about it, I would go the "small platform front rack"route, as I would prefer to use the velcro system as intended, just because I found it to be very sturdy and the bags didnt move around at all.
While improvising something for a Tara or whatever is I guess doable, Im not convinced it would be sturdy in long term...but i guess that depends on how much weight you have in the bags and how well thought out your system is.
Just not my take on it working well.

I think its fair to mention also that they are not as tough as other panniers, so wear damage or "pointy object in them" damage could happen a lot more easily.
Mine have been waterproof as claimed, even in all day rain.

and halfmile--given the weight of your stuff, its great because any reasonable aluminum rear rack will easily work amply well with this range of weight, heck, even twice the stated weight will be fine on a reasonable rack, of which there are many.
Larger area top section ones are handier for putting a tent or whatever on, just more width.
Old 12-03-18, 05:45 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Let's note that the OP's bike touring weight will be a bit more than backpacking weight. I assume there will be some stuff for the bike--tools, spares, a lock. I carried an extra layer of clothing--in my typically mountainous cycling I spend more time just sitting in a cold wind on pass descents. And I think it's wise to use heavier pack cloth on the bike, given the risk of abrasion. My minimal bike touring weight of about 15 pounds was nearly twice my AT pack weight of eight pounds. That said, it was still light enough that it didn't really matter how I carried it. I was just surprised at how much the bike needed.

Back on topic, I've also been researching lighter panniers, and I just bought a pair of Dry Lites. I've only used them on errands and one supported tour so far. The price seemed okay, too, under US$100. I'm happy with them, looking forward to trying them on a self-supported tour this spring. Of course you're going to sacrifice some utility without clips and springs. I found an easy way to use one pack alone, contrary to other reviews. My set included a couple strips of two-sided Velcro.

If you want a larger, mid-weight pannier with more features, look at the Axiom P35. I found a set on eBay for under $80 and they seem okay, too. I think they'll be a little better than the Dry Lites for errands around town, or for trips when 25 L may not be enough.They won't be as durable as the high quality stuff for which you spend several times more. I wouldn't bring them on a world-class expedition.
Old 12-03-18, 08:59 PM
gracehowler
Rod & Judy

Bikes: Specialized S-works E-5, Davinci joint venture , CoMotion Pangea

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
We snagged a set of Arkel drylites when they first came out, after over four years of credit card touring use, we love them, we typically carry about 18 lbs, my wife gets the left one and I use the right. We do use an "ultralight" waterproof stuff sack on the rack for shoes, spare tire, ect. , I will concede you have to take extra care with anything that is "ultralight", but we prefer a lighter touring setup.
Tandem tourers
R&J
Old 12-03-18, 11:04 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Pick up a copy of Nick Crane's journey to the center of the earth.. read it.
they cut toothbrushes short to save weight.. minimal gear.

Old 12-04-18, 04:08 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Just a couple thoughts on the Arkel Dry Lights, I avoid taking them off of the bike unless it’s raining by only putting bulky things in them like my sleeping bag, sleep pad, and rain gear. Then if it’s not raining I just set up the tent and then grab the sleeping bag and pad out of the panniers and toss them in the tent. That avoids dealing with the hassle of unstrapping and restrapling them every day. Personally I don’t find it too annoying anyway, but can definitely understand where many would. It’s a whole lot more time and effort than just unhooking a regular pannier.

As for durability, mine have been surprisingly robust given their weight. I don’t put pointy things in them, but I’m not extra careful or gentle with them at all. I started my first tour with those and a set of much heavier, rugged Seeming Axiom panniers. At the end of the month tour, the Arkels are perfey fine with not even an abrasion. The Axioms are full of holes. I became nervous about the Axioms for fear of abrasion. I wiped out on the road once with the Arkels and simply wiped the dirt off. I’m really happy with mine.

I don’t think I’d bother trying to mount them on the front. You can’t get a smaller panneir that I’m aware of, and if you have a larger one, your bike will probably handle better with the larger set on a front low rider. They’re small enough that the low weight of them loaded shouldn’t affect the handling too much.
Old 12-04-18, 11:31 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Consider improving your aerodynamic footprint with a bikepacking set-up over weight savings with UL panniers - aero is a square force and usually much more significant than weight (a linear force) to bicyclists, particularly if you are a faster rider. As an UL backpacker, you could probably fit into just a good frame and seat pack.

For example, a 3lb weight savings on a 200lb rider/bike/gear total is a 1.5% weight savings, but due to the mechanical advantages of a bicycle, that really only applies to uphills. So for a loop ride where you might average uphill 1/3 rd of the time, the overall weight benefit might only be 0.5% to your overall pace or energy expenditure. If you believe THIS article, the aero benefit of a bikepacking rig might be significantly more.
Old 12-04-18, 01:23 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
The lightweight solution is bikepacking gear, no racks. Handlebar bag, frame bag, seatbag.
Old 12-04-18, 02:11 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Leebo
The lightweight solution is bikepacking gear, no racks. Handlebar bag, frame bag, seatbag.
very much so, although a 25 buck aluminum rack and drylites at maybe 80 is a pretty cheap setup, throw a tent and campmat on top of rack in a drybag or not, with bungees, a handlebar bag and you'd be set.
Bikepacking stuff is nice too, but it seems to me that good framebags and seatbags are easily in the 150 each range no?

bottom line is that there are all kinds of neat options out there to consider. Some waterproof, some not, at varying prices and qualities.

comes down to adding up prices and seeing what stuff can hold how much and the varying pluses and minuses.
Old 12-05-18, 04:27 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
^^^^ Light, cheap, strong, pick two. Yes, can be pricey, my medium revelate frame bag is well thought out in detail, and waterproof. Was like $80 on sale at REI. Look at fork cages too.
Old 12-05-18, 07:56 PM
djb

stuff up here tends to be a fair amount more expensive.
revelate frame bag is 144.95 plus 15% taxes, so about 165.
revelate terrepin seat bag, $230 plus 15% taxes, so about 260
we're up to 425,
add in some sort of handlebar bag--an ortlieb plus med is 170 before taxes, so 195 total
a gas tank bag is 90 bucks
throw in some front rack cages too.....

pertty easy to spend well over 7-800 bucks on a backpacking setup, although again, this is top notch stuff, so will last a really long time.

but yes, well made stuff costs, and is usually worth it as it lasts longer and doesnt break.

lots of ideas for this fellow or lady.
Old 12-05-18, 10:27 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Any reason you specifically want rear mount panniers? At 9# you can probably get away with something like a Carradice saddlebag that mounts right to the seat, and save a few pounds in racks and bags.
Old 12-06-18, 06:33 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by halfmile
As a long time ultra light backpacker, since 1976, I am looking for a set of lightweight rear panniers.....my base weight three season backpack gear is under 9 lbs.....looking to use rear mount panniers.....anyone know of any cottage industry manufacture that makes light weight panniers ?

9 pounds? go with a small set of front bags and a front rack....platform type you can bungee the tent to if not stuffing into a frame bag.
Old 12-06-18, 11:52 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Apidura bags are simply designed and extremely light.

https://www.apidura.com

They are an option for those who don't want panniers and racks.

-Tim-
Old 12-07-18, 04:41 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
^^^^ Light, cheap, strong, pick two.
I don’t know that the whole “This, this, and that. Pick two” thing applies to ultralight gear in that way. From what I’ve seen, generally ultralight gear means you pay more and it gets lighter, but less robust/strong. Cheap tent - heavy, but made of thicker, stronger material and has a heavy duty tarp floor. $400 ultralight tent - very light weight, fragile mesh walls, thin material rain fly, floor is basically the same material and you better make sure there are no small pointy twigs when you set it up or you’re likely to end up with a hole. Ortlieb panniers - not too expensive, tough, basically rugged plastic material, heavy. Ultralight bikepacking bags - more expensive, and lighter yet thinner, more fragile material. The lighter they get, the more they cost and the thinner and more fragile the material.
Old 12-07-18, 07:06 AM
djb

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Apidura bags are simply designed and extremely light.

https://www.apidura.com

They are an option for those who don't want panniers and racks.

-Tim-
Tim, that Apidura website is really cool.
Sure, they are selling stuff and all, but the "why we race" blurb is actually a very well written piece and even as someone who has generally done the "fully loaded" deal and am slow because of that (and frankly not as hard core, type A as these folks) I can totally get the lighter and faster mindset, or at least appreciate (from afar) the hard ass take on hammering it on a long trip.

its a good read for anyone who gets the appeal of more of a "race" atitude.

and also for those interested, go to the website of my favorite pro cycling podcasters, The Cycling Podcast, and look at the two or three recent "exploring, or adventure"series , with interviews about The Transeurope race, and a guy who biked across Australia. Pretty nuts but fascinating hard core events and accomplishments.
Old 12-07-18, 08:26 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Re bikepacking gear,

yes, it tends to be very expensive. The best price to quality ratio I have found is Alpkit out of the UK. I amnusing their Fuel Pod top tube bag and Stem Cell feed bags on my fat bike. They often bundle popular items together on good sales, and shipping to US and elsewhere is reasonable. I've used Revelate, but I just don't think the quality warrants the premium price. Salsa, the same. I do like and recommend my Bedrock Bags saddle pack. An Ortlieb seatpost bag I auditioned was a spectacular fail.
Old 12-07-18, 11:19 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Tim, that Apidura website is really cool.
Sure, they are selling stuff and all, but the "why we race" blurb is actually a very well written piece and even as someone who has generally done the "fully loaded" deal and am slow because of that (and frankly not as hard core, type A as these folks) I can totally get the lighter and faster mindset, or at least appreciate (from afar) the hard ass take on hammering it on a long trip.

its a good read for anyone who gets the appeal of more of a "race" atitude.
Interesting perspective.

But is it touring? Running a marathon in Rome is not the same thing as walking the streets in Rome (or any city, region, country, continent).

There's something odd with the idea of getting thru as fast as one can, be it on foot, bicycle or motorized vehicle, vs taking in as much as possible.

Consider a meal. What's the idea? The time required to eat your food? What is the meaning of "performance eating"?

Certainly a personal choice that i respect. But I don't get the "performance touring" idea.

Funny thing is that i am attracted to the idea of ultra light touring. But always end up thinking that it is odd, and possibly counter productive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.