Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

You're crazy for riding in these temperatures!

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 12-09-18, 10:19 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts

Who has gotten those comments before? When rolling out of the driveway for a 25 mile ride on a 30°F, but otherwise beatuiful afternoon...a neighbor comments to me "It's too cold for bicycling. You're crazy."...as he loaded his skis into the roof rack on his car for a trip up to the mountains for some weekend skiing...where it'll surely be significantly colder than the 30° I was ridding in.

Dan
Old 12-09-18, 11:02 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
This happened just yesterday. It was 62°F at the time.
Old 12-09-18, 11:44 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by wgscott
This happened just yesterday. It was 62°F at the time.

I live in coastal Rhode Island. So it can get pretty cold. But, I have a brother who also rides, and lives in Jacksonville, FL. Last week on one of his Strava entries he commented "Chilly on today's ride. Had to zip my jersey all the way up." I looked up the weather conditions for that day. It was 74°F there at the time of his ride.

Dan
Old 12-09-18, 12:12 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
It's very strange that people will accept various winter outdoor activities such as skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, ice fishing, snowmobiling, winter backpacking...but they won't accept winter biking and they will call you crazy for doing it...I've been at this for 12 years now and some people who know me still don't get it.
Old 12-09-18, 03:29 PM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Maybe because people are so used to their car (shell) has something to do with it.
Old 12-09-18, 03:56 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
In SoCal, cyclists practically evaporate once the mercury falls below 50º. Or over 90º, for that matter. Out on this Sunday morning, I saw a grand total of 1 cyclist, and he was bundled up like he was heading for the Pole.

Last year I was out on a day for ~80 miles, and it started raining pretty heavily around mile 30. At one point, a guy pulled up beside me at a stoplight, rolled down his window and said. "Don't you know it's raining?"
Old 12-09-18, 06:43 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I have a co-worker that has commented on what a idiot I was for riding my bike. I will admit, one of the days I rode was questionable. The street looked like a sheet of glass. So after walking around to tell everyone how dumb I was for riding my bike he needed to go out to smoke a cigarette. I guess we must all chose our own demise.

Last edited by baldilocks; 12-09-18 at 06:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-09-18, 06:57 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Was well below freezing. Got the look from my coworkers I expect. Yea, they know I'm nuts.
Old 12-10-18, 09:46 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
when I bike commuted at my last job I was called names by my colleagues. don't miss that part of that company
Old 12-10-18, 10:47 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,179 Posts
I guess I'm "crazy" for paying $60 a YEAR to park in private, covered parking ten steps from the door to my building, while my co-workers pay $150-200 a MONTH to park in a ramp where they're not even guaranteed a space, three blocks away. That's after they spend almost as much time as my commute to scrape the snow/ice off their motor vehicles.
Old 12-10-18, 11:05 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I follow a guy on Strava who walks to and from work, 16 miles round trip every day. Year round. Rain or shine. Doesn't matter.

When I lived on Long Island and worked in New York City I used to drive 45 minutes to the train station, stood on the train platform for 15 minutes in the freezing cold, rode 1 hour on the train, transfered to the subway, walked from the subway station to the building and then waited in line for an elevator to get to the 44th floor. Reverse to get home. That's was true insanity.

-Tim-
Old 12-10-18, 11:11 AM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
I cycled 20 miles on Thanksgiving in the NE. It was in the 20's, with wind chills in the teens. Did even register on my Facebook, as my friends already know I'm nuts.
Old 12-10-18, 11:23 AM
PaulRivers

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
when I bike commuted at my last job I was called names by my colleagues. don't miss that part of that company
Guy at work was trying to make fun of me for biking to work once.
I looked took a relaxed attitude, looked him up and down, and said "You know, I've noticed whenever someone says something like that, they're always the fat people in the office".
He didn't talk to me for a week after that, lol.
He never brought up biking again.
Old 12-10-18, 11:44 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Guy at work was trying to make fun of me for biking to work once.
I looked took a relaxed attitude, looked him up and down, and said "You know, I've noticed whenever someone says something like that, they're always the fat people in the office".
He didn't talk to me for a week after that, lol.
He never brought up biking again.
Love it.
Old 12-10-18, 12:06 PM
madpogue 

Actually that ^^^^^^ reply could find you with a "hostile workplace" action against you in a lot of workplaces. And thinking it through, rightly so. I know a lot of "fat" people who have every right to be the weight they are. I may internally pity them for it, but it creates more heat than light.

Might be more appropriate to reply with something like "Yeah, I'm too cheap to keep fit by going to the gym." Allows the other party to come to their own conclusion (or just confuse them further....).
Old 12-10-18, 12:07 PM
madpogue 

Another possible reply to the "crazy" call - "Yes, I'm crazy. <pause> Wanna see how crazy?"
Old 12-10-18, 12:26 PM
italiansallion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve been getting them every day for the past week on my commute into work, and mostly they come from the people who lose their breath and break a sweat walking from the sales floor to the break room to grab their cigarettes.
Old 12-10-18, 12:28 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
People who don't ride bikes think those of us who do are crazy, full stop.

If you're commuting, you'll get it almost every day. It was so hot! It's so cold! It's raining! It's so windy! The only one I don't get is it's snowing, because, if we're going to play bumper cars (as people around here do when the weather persons uses four letter words like that), I like 3,500 pounds on my side.
Old 12-10-18, 02:29 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by madpogue
Actually that ^^^^^^ reply could find you with a "hostile workplace" action against you in a lot of workplaces.

Oh, you mean against the fat guy for insensitively calling Paul "crazy?"

Dan
Old 12-10-18, 02:40 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Who has gotten those comments before? When rolling out of the driveway for a 25 mile ride on a 30°F, but otherwise beautiful afternoon...a neighbor comments to me "It's too cold for bicycling. You're crazy."...as he loaded his skis into the roof rack on his car for a trip up to the mountains for some weekend skiing...where it'll surely be significantly colder than the 30° I was ridding in.

Dan
Great point. I think I'll use that. Although since I hate the cold, if I went out in those temperatures I would have to be crazy.
Old 12-10-18, 02:41 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Who has gotten those comments before? When rolling out of the driveway for a 25 mile ride on a 30°F, but otherwise beatuiful afternoon...a neighbor comments to me "It's too cold for bicycling. You're crazy."...as he loaded his skis into the roof rack on his car for a trip up to the mountains for some weekend skiing...where it'll surely be significantly colder than the 30° I was ridding in.

Dan
30F - I'd love to enjoy those warm temps!

Back when I biked to an office daily, year-round (I'm working from a home office these days), I'd get similar comments for all sorts of conditions: sub-zero temps, winds, snow, rain, heat, .... It's kinda amazing how fragile some people think we are.

For the winter, I typically ask the person if they every go skiing in the winter ... I explain I use the same gear on my bike as I do for XC skiing or snowboarding. Occasionally, I'm lucky enough to see the lights will flicker on - but normally, nothing but a blank expression.

Edit/afterthought: a couple years ago, a long time bike-commuting buddy and I were texting on the coldest day of the winter (air temps were -20F with windchill close to -40F). He asked if I biked to work, I told him I took the car 'cause I'm a fair-weather bike-commuter. We both LOL'd.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 12-10-18 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-10-18, 02:47 PM
madpogue 

Oh, you mean against the fat guy for insensitively calling Paul "crazy?"
Actually, if Paul were living with some mental health challenge, known to this co-worker, he would have a case. But put (perhaps a bit too) simply, calling someone what s/he isn't won't get you into nearly as much trouble as calling someone what s/he is.

Back on topic - I just remembered my first week working where I do now. I applied for the job in great part to swap a 15-mile car commute for a 1.5-mile bike/bus/walk commute. This was right at the turn of the century, before the prevalence of studded tires, etc. Pretty typical winter. Still in my 30s, I just rode a "stock" Univega hybrid, no special gear. Felt good to leave the car in the driveway every day. Most days I happened to push the bike out about the same time my next-door neighbor was leaving for work. We'd exchange g'mornings, etc and be on our way. Took 'til Friday the first week, he finally stopped and asked "What's wrong with your car?"

Last edited by madpogue; 12-10-18 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-10-18, 03:58 PM
PaulRivers

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Actually that ^^^^^^ reply could find you with a "hostile workplace" action against you in a lot of workplaces.
It's only a toxic workplace where people can openly insult you and that's the norm.

And thinking it through, rightly so. I know a lot of "fat" people who have every right to be the weight they are. I may internally pity them for it, but it creates more heat than light.
Does not give them the right to insult other people.

Might be more appropriate to reply with something like "Yeah, I'm too cheap to keep fit by going to the gym." Allows the other party to come to their own conclusion (or just confuse them further....).
I feel like you're accepting their claim that you're an idiot for biking...I don't want to do that.

You have the gauge the situation. If it's the first time someone says something I'll often just roll my eyes and ignore them. I don't go around work constantly thinking of saying these kind of things.

But you also gotta have some self respect. I guaged the situation - it was a few coworkers standing around, the other coworkers also looked a bit uncomfortable with what he was saying, etc.

Funny enough we went on to become good friends at work. I never heard him say anything as offensive as that again to anyone else after that - he wasn't a chronic insulter or anything, he just said one thing. Sometimes if you let people know they've crossed a line with you they just back off and realize they went to far. Sometimes you form a better relationship at work when they hit a boundary and you let them know.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 12-10-18 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-10-18, 04:48 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
I overdressed today and had to ride slowly to keep from getting too hot. That old Norwegian/Minnesota saying holds true most of the time for me. I think not only are some people intolerant of bad weather, combine it with non-athleticism, and they just can't see the appeal of doing something athletic when the weather is less than idea.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-10-18, 05:07 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
I've going running in -25*C in the past, so it's not a big stretch to cycle at -25. That is a bit crazy, if I were honest with myself. Just a bit. But it's all relative. I've stretch my comfort zone for running and riding down to -25*C. People have different comfort zones and if you do something outside their comfort zone then they see you as crazy. Hey, if you ride your bike colder than -25*C, I'd think you're crazy too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.