Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Fingers crossed, finally going car free

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Fingers crossed, finally going car free

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-19, 11:49 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Similarly, I scaled back my car use to only out of town use, but it became an issue to have the car sitting, unused all that time. Tried to use it and found the battery dead. Ants found their way in. Bees built a nest in the twilight. Took it on an out of state trip and the clutch went out on the way home. I think. Made it home and parked it while I decided if it was worth fixing. It sat for a year, and the inspection was about to expire, so I had to decide. But having not driven in a year made the decision a little easier. I realized that for the cost of fixing it, I could easily fly on my one, out of state trip a year and use the train for my in state trips. Had the car towed away several years ago and have not regretted it. I do have a huge advantage in that my wife has a car. She does the grocery shopping and takes the dogs to the vet. Grocery shopping really wouldn’t be bad by bike, but vet trips could pose a problem. But for just me, getting to work, getting around town, eating, entertainment, etc., the bike and transit work great. Weather issues come up, but you learn to be prepared. Last night we had the threat of rain, maybe even snow, coming right around the time I would be getting out of a concert. That was a situation where I considered taking my wife’s car, but decided not to. Came out of the show to light rain, but temps a couple of degrees above freezing, so no snow. I didn’t even bother with the poncho because it’s easier riding without it. I had a light, wool base-layer on, and even though my jeans were soaked by the time I got home, I was warm enough. And cold rain is about the worst I have to deal with, so if can get around in that, I have no concerns about being without a car. The only other issue, which someone already brought up, was day trips to neighboring towns. Difficult to enjoy the nightlife of nearby towns if I don’t want bike for hours after midnight. But my town has plenty going on, so no big deal. Basically, I don’t regret it at all. The inconvenience of keeping the car running, plus money and time to keep it legal, proved to be more of a bother than finding my way around without a car has been. Good luck to you, and suspect you’ll do fine and be happier for it. It seems like you have a good mindset and have already thought through the issues you’re likely to face.
Old 01-15-19, 07:58 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Good luck!I live car free in a very car-centric city personally, no regrets.

The bike trailer really works well for large grocery shop runs. Sure, it is heavy, but I just see it as extra bike training. The low-cost trailer I use, from a brand named Aosom, has been working really well for even big bags of cat food, large crates of beverages, etc. :
https://www.aosom.com/item/aosom-eli...664-0005R.html (they sell it on Amazon as well).

For smaller grocery runs, or smaller things to carry, I just use the paniers. Also a bungie cord over the back rack is very useful for larger items that don't fit in the panniers. (long items or cardboard boxes).

The biggest hurdle people think of is not having a safe route to your daily destinations. But I often find there is almost always some parallel route you can take through a residential neighborhood that does not involve using major arterial roads. Over time, you find quieter and safer routes to all your daily destinations.

Also, between services to get groceries delivered (instacart and the like), services like Uber and Lyft, and ride-share options you can sign up for like Zipcar, there really is no eventuality that is not covered. You can always find a way out of trouble if you really NEED a car for some scenario. It has never been easier to not own a car.

Good luck! You are doing the right thing!

Last edited by maartendc; 01-15-19 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-15-19, 11:32 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
Good luck! You are doing the right thing!
By this I think he means, you are asking BF and letting us decide for you. We know ... Everything.....

(Keep us posted.)
Old 01-15-19, 01:11 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
By this I think he means, you are asking BF and letting us decide for you. We know ... Everything.....

(Keep us posted.)
Lol, the comments have been helpful. Two weeks to go before I take it in and say goodbye. I think that mother nature has decided to encourage me by stopping the rain temporarily around the time I will surrender the car, haha.
Old 01-28-19, 09:08 AM
dahoneezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
All the best too you linberl. Cars are money pits. May you never ever need to go to any gas station again, (unless to use their toilets.)
Old 01-28-19, 10:57 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by dahoneezz
All the best too you linberl. Cars are money pits. May you never ever need to go to any gas station again, (unless to use their toilets.)
Hahaha!!! Car goes away this Thursday. Not nearly as "antsy" as I was before, now I am looking forward to it.
Old 01-28-19, 11:41 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Good luck Linberl! I might forget to check in Thursday. Of course I want a full report weekly of how it's going! Cheers and blue skies!
Old 01-28-19, 12:44 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Good luck Linberl! I might forget to check in Thursday. Of course I want a full report weekly of how it's going! Cheers and blue skies!
Thanks =). I'll report back after a couple weeks to give it time to see what develops.
Old 01-28-19, 03:29 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Interesting.

In 2008/2009, there was a Clunker Trade-In policy to help boost the economy. But, I like this, trade in the clunker, and no requirement to buy another car.

Many cars can be parted out for > $1500, although who knows what the scrappers are willing to pay. Hopefully they don't destroy the engines like they were doing a decade ago. Liquid Glass?
Old 01-28-19, 06:01 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Interesting.

In 2008/2009, there was a Clunker Trade-In policy to help boost the economy. But, I like this, trade in the clunker, and no requirement to buy another car.

Many cars can be parted out for > $1500, although who knows what the scrappers are willing to pay. Hopefully they don't destroy the engines like they were doing a decade ago. Liquid Glass?
I kinda feel bad because my Honda is a GREAT car, runs perfect, but doesn't look good on the outside (peeling clearcoat, minor dings, and hole in the front bumper from some idiot backing into it). It gave me 135k miles and still has the original brakes and clutch! This program is designed to "retire" cars so there are hopefully fewer cars on the road, true in my case at least. But I probably wouldn't get more selling it privately and that's also a big pain in the butt.
Old 02-25-19, 10:09 PM
linberl

Well, I've just had my first challenge. My son went out of town and needed a cat sitter twice a day.....I had planned to ride but it's been raining hard and super windy. So I walked to the Bart station, rode Bart, then walked to his place. Twice yesterday, twice today, one more time tomorrow a.m. Just about 45 minutes each direction. I pretty much consumed the entire day, what with coming home to take care of MY dog in the middle, but it got done with no car. Can't say I didn't have thoughts of renting a Gig car for one of the trips or calling an Uber, but I wanted to see if I could stick to biking and public transit. Conditions were not quite as bad as it ever gets here, but close, so it gave me some added confidence. Other than that, I haven't missed my car or even thought about it =).
Old 02-26-19, 03:04 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Put the cat in a pannier and ride home with it. Bring it back when son returns.

Glad to hear things are working ... not too surprised.
Old 02-26-19, 04:37 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Put the cat in a pannier and ride home with it. Bring it back when son returns.

Glad to hear things are working ... not too surprised.
My DOG loves your idea!!!! She's always hungry.....lol. The cat might not be quite so into it, however ;-).
I actually rode today to the Bart station, jumped on Bart, and then rode to his apartment. It was raining, but it gave me a chance to try out my new "People's Poncho" which is fantastic for biking. I arrived dry and comfortable....poncho, rain pants, waterproof boots. All in all, a very pleasant experience (love my folding bikes).
Old 03-04-19, 10:31 AM
maartendc

Originally Posted by linberl
My DOG loves your idea!!!! She's always hungry.....lol. The cat might not be quite so into it, however ;-).
I actually rode today to the Bart station, jumped on Bart, and then rode to his apartment. It was raining, but it gave me a chance to try out my new "People's Poncho" which is fantastic for biking. I arrived dry and comfortable....poncho, rain pants, waterproof boots. All in all, a very pleasant experience (love my folding bikes).
Rain pants are the best! I always have a pair in my panier bag, and I never arrive at my destination wet!
Old 03-04-19, 12:44 PM
linberl

Rain pants are the best! I always have a pair in my panier bag, and I never arrive at my destination wet!
Yeah, so much more comfortable =). I need to get longer rainboots, though, as heavy rain can drip from the pants into my ankle length boots...wet socks bad. Rain pants with snap-on straps to go under the boot arch would be awesome...
Old 03-04-19, 01:10 PM
maartendc

Yeah, so much more comfortable =). I need to get longer rainboots, though, as heavy rain can drip from the pants into my ankle length boots...wet socks bad. Rain pants with snap-on straps to go under the boot arch would be awesome...
That is what I have, I have rain pants with integrated shoe covers, and a elastic strap that goes under your shoe to keep them in place. Keeps both your pants and shoes very dry, even in a heavy downpour and riding without front fender!

I got mine in Europe from the big chain store Decathlon: (I have an older version of these)
https://www.decathlon.be/nl/p/fietsr...402040&c=ZWART

Unfortunately Decathlon don't exist in the US, but apparently they are opening a store in California next month! https://www.decathlon.com/ I love all their cheap bike clothing: I have their bike shorts, jerseys, jackets, rain pants, glasses with interchangeable lenses, etc.. You pay like 20-30$ for something that costs $100 elsewhere.
Old 03-04-19, 01:55 PM
linberl

That is what I have, I have rain pants with integrated shoe covers, and a elastic strap that goes under your shoe to keep them in place. Keeps both your pants and shoes very dry, even in a heavy downpour and riding without front fender!

I got mine in Europe from the big chain store Decathlon: (I have an older version of these)
https://www.decathlon.be/nl/p/fietsr...402040&c=ZWART

Unfortunately Decathlon don't exist in the US, but apparently they are opening a store in California next month! https://www.decathlon.com/ I love all their cheap bike clothing: I have their bike shorts, jerseys, jackets, rain pants, glasses with interchangeable lenses, etc.. You pay like 20-30$ for something that costs $100 elsewhere.
Oh, that's cool! I will have to find some =). Their new store will be a 15 minute bike ride from me, yay.
Old 03-04-19, 02:42 PM
maartendc

Oh, that's cool! I will have to find some =). Their new store will be a 15 minute bike ride from me, yay.
Yes when I go home to Belgium for Christmas to see family (I live in the USA) I always plan a shopping trip to Decathlon for my bike clothing needs. Good to know they are coming to the US. Hopefully they will ship nationwide.

All their stuff is their own house brand. Their stuff is just no frills, but the quality is good, and it is cheap. I have been using some of their long sleeve jerseys, shorts, etc. for a couple of seasons, and they wear well.

They also sell reasonably priced road and mountain bikes, but I'm not sure if those are any good. Probably similar to the quality of bikes sold under the Ribble or Nashbar house brands, a small step below the big name brands. (better than Supermarket bikes in any case)
Old 03-04-19, 11:18 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Sealskin waterproof socks over thin (or thick) wool socks. Been using this system Summer and Winter for about 30 years. With rain pants of course. I use Velcro straps to keep the rain pants snug over the top of the socks.
Old 03-04-19, 11:21 PM
linberl

Sealskin waterproof socks over thin (or thick) wool socks. Been using this system Summer and Winter for about 30 years. With rain pants of course. I use Velcro straps to keep the rain pants snug over the top of the socks.
I'm hoping sealskin is a brand you are referring to, because otherwise, ughhhhh. I'll google and see what you're talking about. thx
Old 03-04-19, 11:33 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

I'm hoping sealskin is a brand you are referring to, because otherwise, ughhhhh. I'll google and see what you're talking about. thx
Pure white BABY seals!

Kidding.

Actually - sealskinz, with a "Z". https://www.sealskinzusa.com/

These, specifically: https://www.sealskinzusa.com/socks/s...black-grey.htm

Last edited by JoeyBike; 03-04-19 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-05-19, 12:22 AM
linberl

Pure white BABY seals!

Kidding.

Ahh...that "z" makes all the difference, lol!
Old 03-05-19, 09:03 AM
maartendc

Pure white BABY seals!

Kidding.

Interesting product, but it does not prevent your shoes from getting wet, just your socks and feet?

That is fine if you can just bring an extra pair of shoes.

I just wear my work / dress shoes to work, and the rainpants with shoe covers are the way to go in my opinion. No need for a change of shoes, socks or whatever, everything stays dry. Combined with a good rain jacket, I can literally wear a nice suit, zip off my jacket and rainpants when I arrive, and walk to my desk.

I don't change / shower when I commute because it is only a 10 min easy ride. I see most commuters here in full bike gear, but to me it does not make sense for a short commute to take the time to shower, change, etc. Must be my European upbringing. You don't shower and change riding your bike to the store or around town, so why would I for biking to work? (I did shower when my commute was 1.5hrs by bike, but anything under 30 mins I wouldnt).
Old 03-05-19, 10:42 AM
linberl

After looking at some pics of cycling shoe covers, they look like they are made for cycling specific shoes only....is that true? I wear Bogs rain boots or basic sneakers to ride, not cycling shoes; I use platforms.
Old 03-05-19, 11:03 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Interesting product, but it does not prevent your shoes from getting wet, just your socks and feet?

That is fine if you can just bring an extra pair of shoes....
I have a shoe drier at work and keep a spare pair there as well. Everything else stays reasonably dry with basic rain gear. My commute is about 20 minutes each way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.