Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Weird problem

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Weird problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-19, 02:22 PM
Nojman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weird problem

Hi! This is my first post and it's about a strange problem I'm having with my e-bike. I have a 1000w 48v homemade Aliexpress type bike based on a cheap but new mountainbike. It's a direct drive hubmotor in frontwheel. It came with a squarewave controller that made the motor noisy and squeezed out ~1200w. I then bought a sinewave controller that leaves 40 amps (~1800w) and made the bike totally silent, BUT, it now have a strange thing that it makes. When giving full throttle it accelerates like...hell. If I then lowers it tho say half throttle and it's downhill, the motor "brakes" If I keep going like this for awhile it turns off. The regen is turned off. I have changed settings in the kt-3 lcd display to different settings, but it does this. I don't think it did this in the begining. Is the controller faulty? The motor? Is there someone who has experieced the same?
Old 03-31-19, 06:31 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
The C13 parameter sets regen strength, but there may be a hardware switch to enable it. On mine, there is an EABS jumper. It's a pair of grey wires on my controller with a 2 pin connector. Comes with a two pin plug to complete the circuit, which enables automatic regen. If you have this circuit on your controller, and it is plugged in, unplug it and see what happens.

My geared motors can't do regen anyway, but I cut the grey wires off to clean up clutter. Also removed the wires for lights (they call it lamp/speaker), cruise control, and speed limiter.

Last edited by Doc_Wui; 03-31-19 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-01-19, 12:30 PM
Nojman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
The C13 parameter sets regen strength, but there may be a hardware switch to enable it. On mine, there is an EABS jumper. It's a pair of grey wires on my controller with a 2 pin connector. Comes with a two pin plug to complete the circuit, which enables automatic regen. If you have this circuit on your controller, and it is plugged in, unplug it and see what happens.

My geared motors can't do regen anyway, but I cut the grey wires off to clean up clutter. Also removed the wires for lights (they call it lamp/speaker), cruise control, and speed limiter.
It's not going into "regen mode". That only happens when I brake and that is enabled in C13 as you say. It's like the throttle controls the motor with a frequency inverter. The watts is normal. I give full juice and it pulls ~1700w, when I release the bike rolls easely. But when I go to say, half throttle, it rolls heavely, like its braking. When the wheel is in the air it's like a battery screwdriver. So I must go to zero throttle all the time or I loose alot of speed... (sorry for my bad swenglish) When it rolls on half throttle it pulls ~50w. So it's not like it trying to go backwards... I will try with my old controller soon and if it works I think I'll stay with that. A little noisier but like it is now it's hard to go very far, despite a 20ah battery...