Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

NYC Belt Parkway path finished

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 04-17-19, 06:07 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,044 Times in 1,170 Posts

Rode here today, the Mill Basin bridge has been open a few months and it was a good day to check out the path.

Nicely done and excepting about 100 ft just east of Flatbush Ave, it’s all new and pretty.

I looped this today, Floyd Bennett then north to the Belt, up to Howard Beach, down 86th and over to the Cross Bay bridge, thru Beach Channel, to the boardwalk at Rockaway Beach, west to the Marine Parkway bridge and back to Floyd Bennett. 19 miles, maybe 4 on road and 3 of that was designated bike lane.
Old 04-23-19, 07:46 AM
Phyoomz

Bikes: '96 Trek 800, '10 Specialized Allez (Steel), '17 Surly Steamroller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Rode here today, the Mill Basin bridge has been open a few months and it was a good day to check out the path.

Nicely done and excepting about 100 ft just east of Flatbush Ave, it’s all new and pretty.

I looped this today, Floyd Bennett then north to the Belt, up to Howard Beach, down 86th and over to the Cross Bay bridge, thru Beach Channel, to the boardwalk at Rockaway Beach, west to the Marine Parkway bridge and back to Floyd Bennett. 19 miles, maybe 4 on road and 3 of that was designated bike lane.
AWESOME!!! I used to ride along the belt back when there was no partition, just a sidewalk. Scary stuff. Pebbles getting launched by car tires. Also never knew crossbay had a dedicated bike path (just googled it). New way to get to the beach!

I'll definitely be checking this out soon.
Old 04-27-19, 09:41 PM
DynoD500_SR20-d
I ride to clear my mind

Bikes: Dyno D500-Ribble Endurance AL (2019) Tigara

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thats my usual Sunday morning ride
Old 04-28-19, 08:09 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
Yea, the last time I was there it was all but done. It is really nice.
Old 05-03-19, 02:09 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,448 Times in 1,429 Posts
Thanks! I'll try it someday soon.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-10-19, 10:39 AM
ChiroVette

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Yeah, they did a fantastic job on the segments of the path. Also, for anyone who doesn't know, they finished the path a while ago that connects Seview Park directly to the Belt Parkway, not too far south of the Paerdegat Avenue park-entrance. Very convenient to not have to take the streets to the Rockaway Parkway entrance to the path.

Now, for the love of everything holy, I so wish they would repair the chewed up path areas between Ceasar's Bay and the Verazzano.
Old 05-10-19, 02:18 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by ChiroVette
Yeah, they did a fantastic job on the segments of the path. Also, for anyone who doesn't know, they finished the path a while ago that connects Seview Park directly to the Belt Parkway, not too far south of the Paerdegat Avenue park-entrance. Very convenient to not have to take the streets to the Rockaway Parkway entrance to the path.

Now, for the love of everything holy, I so wish they would repair the chewed up path areas between Ceasar's Bay and the Verazzano.
In my experience, NYC can be great at finding the cash to build new (cycling) infrastructure. Not so great at maintaining it. The path on the east side of Flatbush from the Belt to the Floyd Bennett entrance, is a frost heaved mess that needs to be replaced for the most part. As well I’ve never seen the City Parks Dept. doing any cleaning on these paths.
Old 05-10-19, 03:44 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

In my experience, NYC can be great at finding the cash to build new (cycling) infrastructure. Not so great at maintaining it. The path on the east side of Flatbush from the Belt to the Floyd Bennett entrance, is a frost heaved mess that needs to be replaced for the most part. As well I’ve never seen the City Parks Dept. doing any cleaning on these paths.
I've had good luck getting paths cleaned by reporting them to 311. I usually use the smartphone app, but you can use the phone, too. I once got a call back telling me the problem (mud sliding over the path) had been fixed but it will recur until they re-landscape the area. I thought that was really nice.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 05-10-19, 06:10 PM
ChiroVette

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
By the way, Steve B., I like the pics you posted!

I don't agree with this. I ride that path an awful lot and its pretty smooth. Not perfect, but smooth enough. And its usually clear. I live 5 minutes from Kings Plaza, so that path is one of my main routes for many rides. Have you ridden the path from Ceasar's Bay to the Verazzano? Some parts are still okay, but many are so chewed up that riding on them turns my bicycle into a giant vibrator. lol Yes, they could do a better job of keeping the path on Flatbush clean, but as @noglider says, a phone call usually gets someone out there pretty quickly.

One path that is problematic is the route that goes from the West side of Flatbush Avenue, right behind Sam Ash, then winds its way west and north toward Marine Park. I think a lot of the motorists either resent the bike path because they feel it narrows the road or takes away parking, so oftentimes they use the bike lanes there as dumping grounds. So half the time there is garbage all over the place.
Old 05-10-19, 08:00 PM
Steve B.

By the way, Steve B., I like the pics you posted!

I don't agree with this. I ride that path an awful lot and its pretty smooth. Not perfect, but smooth enough. And its usually clear. I live 5 minutes from Kings Plaza, so that path is one of my main routes for many rides. Have you ridden the path from Ceasar's Bay to the Verazzano? Some parts are still okay, but many are so chewed up that riding on them turns my bicycle into a giant vibrator. lol Yes, they could do a better job of keeping the path on Flatbush clean, but as @noglider says, a phone call usually gets someone out there pretty quickly.

One path that is problematic is the route that goes from the West side of Flatbush Avenue, right behind Sam Ash, then winds its way west and north toward Marine Park. I think a lot of the motorists either resent the bike path because they feel it narrows the road or takes away parking, so oftentimes they use the bike lanes there as dumping grounds. So half the time there is garbage all over the place.
I think what I’m judging is that I’ve ridden the Flatbush path as my commute since the day it opened. Thus I’ve seen it slowly deteriorate a bit with frost heaves, etc.. As well I often see when they mow the grass they just leave the path covered in clippings which can make it hard to see debris and bumps. Possibly this section is maintained by the US Park Svc., not sure.
Old 05-11-19, 12:15 PM
wilfried

Bikes: Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20, Citi Bike

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
One of my go to rides is to take the Belt path around Bay Ridge to Coney Island. If I'm so inclined, I continue on to the Rockaways. I haven't done it since the renovation; I'll have to get there soon. @noglider, care join me sometime?
Old 05-11-19, 07:25 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@wilfried, yes.

Old 06-27-19, 12:20 PM
baronvonoz

Bikes: canyon Inflite AL SLX 8.0 Pro Race CX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

starting in sunset park, did the path under the verazzano for the first time a few weekends ago (also forgetting it was the mermaid day parade) not realizing how bad it suddenly gets, and that road is an absolute nightmare. first part of the ride was fantastic though
Old 07-12-19, 02:53 PM
Vifam7

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of doing the Floyd Bennett-Rockaway-Howard Beach loop sometime later this year. I just have one concern.

How safe is the path on the northern Cross Bay Blvd bridge (Joseph P Addbbo Bridge)?

The reason why I ask is because Google street view shows cyclists being separated from cars and trucks only by a single white line or hatched white lines. Not sure if I'd enjoy riding that section with no physical barrier between me and the vehicles.
Old 07-12-19, 02:57 PM
Steve B.

There’s a separated “sidewalk” section, with a Jersey barrier separating the road and sidewalk. As well the on road section is a marked bike lane. I ride the bike lane and have had no issues though traffic does tend to fly by at a clip.

Note that when you get further south into Beach Channel, it’s painted bike lane only on the street.