Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Issues with bolt-on brake mount?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-19, 06:54 AM
ADAP7IVE

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Blue "mamachari" 3-speed, Kona Explosif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just scrolling through bike specs (as one does), I noticed some frames with a bolt - on disc brake mount, like on the Fairlight Cycles Secan. Has anyone used a frame with such a feature? Seems like it could easily lead to misaligned brakes and need regular checking for tightness.
Old 07-05-19, 10:52 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Which mount? there now are 3 , at least.. ISO , Post mount , and now direct mount..

2 different brake types .. post mount and direct mount...

ISO uses adapters to mount post mount style brake calipers ..

FWIW.. https://road.cc/content/review/24800...t-cycles-secan

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-06-19 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-05-19, 11:27 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I have now seen a bike designed for dual pivot direct mount. Makes me wonder. First, is it necessary? I never realized my two dual pivot bikes had inadequate braking. Second, if you keep the bike long enough, you may want to change the brakes, the standards may change or parts become unavailable. Are there good options besides taking a hacksaw to the mounts?

I have a direct mount cantilever bike, my Peter Mooney. The brake I spec'd had been around for 20 years and the standard well established. I also had drillings for conventional brakes should I ever change my mind. (Also useful for fenders, racks, etc.) No regrets. Now canti posts are out of the way of virtually anything else you might ever want to put on a bike, but those higher posts? Can ordinary side/dual/center-pulls be used without interference?

(I confess, I do not know the difference between post mount and direct mount. Do direct mount fittings not protrude so a conventional brake would clear them just fine?)

Ben
Old 07-05-19, 12:01 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
This is a non-issue. Like EVERYTHING on a bike, tighten it to the recommended specs and you are good to go. If you are excessively worried about it coming loose, use Lock-tite (blue). As Fietbob says they are just disc brake mounts (direct mount).
Old 07-05-19, 01:35 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
I've never seen a flat mount bracket bolted on like the one on the Secan. In reality, its no different than the millions of ISO to post mount adapters bolted onto frames. I see nothing to worry about.