Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Snowboard helmet recommendations

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-02, 01:01 PM
DanFromDetroit
Bike Happy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last year I used a standard cycling helmet with a fleece headband to keep my ears warm. It worked reasonably well. This year I was thinking about getting a vented snowboard helmet instead.

I am looking at the Giro Ravine Graphic and the Giro Nine from Sierra Trading Post (on sale for 70-80 USD). I would like to keep the cost below 100 USD.

I would appreciate any recommendations on features to look for or personal reviews of snowboard helmets that anyone may have used.

thanks.

regards
Dan
Old 10-30-02, 01:22 PM
MtnBikerChk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by DanFromDetroit

I am looking at the Giro Ravine Graphic and the Giro Nine from Sierra Trading Post (on sale for 70-80 USD). I would like to keep the cost below 100 USD.

regards
Dan
I have the ravine - it keeps my head SO WARM! I think everyone should have one just for that reason!

If it fits, GET IT!
Old 11-26-02, 12:59 PM
DanFromDetroit
Bike Happy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I settled on a helmet. I bought a Pro-Tec "Ace Snow Half Pipe". These were on sale at REI.

It turns out that this particular helmet is more like a skateboard or rollerblading helmet, than a snowboard helmet. It is a very heavy polycarbonate helmet with removable padding inside. I selected this helmet because the other more lightweight helmets seemed like they would take an impact but would not stand for much abrasion. I got the idea they would shred if went sliding down the road on my head.

I have been wearing it for about a week now and I like it very much, though I will most likely get a silk balaclava to wear underneath for very cold temperatures.

regards
Dan