Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Best Blogging Software for a Tour

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Best Blogging Software for a Tour

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-09, 10:45 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by stevo9er
Blogger with flickr is an extremely cheap solution. $20 a year. Wordpress is more customizable though, and CrazyGuyOnABike has the best audience.
Blogger and Wordpress have the advantage of not having a webmaster that violates his own privacy policies. Flickr is a little more expensive for a "pro" membership - 25 dollars if I recall correctly - but if you don't post a lot of photos, you can get away with using it free.

Old 02-17-09, 06:23 PM
Greg_R

Bikes: Surly LHT set up for commuting

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used travelblog.org and was pleased with the features and simplicity. As mentioned above, the posts are 'recent first' so it's painful to read everything chronologically.
Old 02-23-09, 08:48 AM
mas-az

Bikes: Bruce Gordon, SOMA Stanyan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Website

I have just put up the website at www.mooreaboutscottsdale.com It is still a work in progress though. I'm having isses with IE in the mapping tool area.
Old 02-23-09, 09:27 AM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like using Crazyguy because my journals there actually get read. The community is very supportive and giving.

I hear very good things about Wordpress, and I'd like to try it one of these days when I get some time to set it up.

My bands:
Old 02-23-09, 09:35 AM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stevo9er
Blogger with flickr is an extremely cheap solution. $20 a year. Wordpress is more customizable though, and CrazyGuyOnABike has the best audience.
i am planning a trip to Colorado this summer and hope to be successful documenting the trip with Blogger and Flickr via my iPhone. pics and post can be sent direct to blogger or both. i do this now from time to time with little issues. later.
Old 02-23-09, 09:38 AM
awc380

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or you could just tour and keep the experience to yourself.
Old 02-23-09, 09:44 AM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by awc380
awc raises a good point that probably deserves a thread of its own. Does touring writing the journal on your mind change the tour?

My bands:
Old 02-23-09, 10:00 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by awc380
I'm inclined to agree with this. I've never felt comfortable with the 'journaling' process. Perhaps it's because when I write, I write for publication, and so my standards are different. (As opposed to posting here and elsewhere, which I consider written chatting.) All of my touring has been interesting, but I don't see it as noteworthy enough to write about.

Old 02-23-09, 11:41 AM
firequall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're looking to just send quick little updates, Twitter could be very easy. It supports posting from web, SMS and has tons of other applications (both phone and PC-based).
Old 02-23-09, 11:53 AM
quester
...into the blue...

Bikes: Thorn Nomad 2, LHT, Jamis Quest, ....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neilfein
awc raises a good point that probably deserves a thread of its own. Does touring writing the journal on your mind change the tour?
The major reason I do a journal is for family and friends. Not allowed to totally drop out of sight for a month at a time. One plus is that last time, friends started forwarding the link and I eventually had ~50 people paying at least some attention. I didn't think I'd like that, but it turned out to be lots of fun getting comments from people.

Two changes: (1) I ended up spending at least a half hour per night thumb-typing on the iPhone. (2) I'd take pictures with my regular camera AND the iPhone, because only the latter pictures could be uploaded easily.

Charging the iphone was a bit of a pain because I didn't want to just leave it in the restrooms overnight. Now, however, I have a generator hub...

Last edited by quester; 02-23-09 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-23-09, 04:05 PM
tdreyer1

Bikes: Specialized Awol Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reiffert
Wordpress, (https://wordpress.org/) either installed on your own server or domain or through wordpress.com.

Seems to have best spam blocking software pre-installed.

Huge choice of themes or looks (and easily customizable or develop your own).

Short learning curve for full functionality and lots of add-ons to extend that.
+1
Should work great for what you want.
Old 02-23-09, 04:19 PM
twilkins9076
TWilkins

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Wordpress. Check out www.tracywilkins.wordpress.com.

In addition, Microsoft has a writer (Windows Live Writer) that makes it pretty easy to post to several different blogging sites. It basically wraps a Word type front end around the blogging software. It's a local install.
Old 02-23-09, 04:23 PM
twilkins9076
TWilkins

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Csson
One downside to most blogging software is the order the posts are in. It's perfectly fine while the tour is underway to have the latest post first. It is very annoying though to read a travelogue after the tour is finished in that format (find the oldest post, read it, scroll up the post above it, repeat). So, the perfect software would allow to change the order of the posts - either by the administrator or (even better) the visitors.
I've gotten around that by creating a separate page to serve as the index page for a particular trip. As I post normal blog entries, I simply go to that page and add a link to the newest post at the bottom of the page. Here's an example.