Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Bike Flipping 101

Old 09-21-09, 05:03 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
A little more clarity, a tighter chain, and a set of apehangers and you're ready to go. I see the urban feel that you are looking for.

This one ended up a beer runner in Davis, CA
Old 09-21-09, 05:06 PM
kingfish254

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Classic III Folder - 1990 Dahon Mariner Classic III Folder - 2005 Dahon Jetstream P8 Full Suspension Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
A little more clarity, a tighter chain, and a set of apehangers and you're ready to go. I see the urban feel that you are looking for.
That was a cool one. Investment = $22 (Bike= $6, seat= $6, paint,grips, decals = $10)

SOLD BIKE = $140

I did have to tighten the chain after this photo. Also this is CL photos, so the size and clarity are pretty low.

Another thing I have started doing is include a pair of guppy lights for free. The LBS charges $30, but you can get them on the bay for $2/pair including shipping from Hong Kong. Just another way to sweeten and close the deal.

Last edited by kingfish254; 09-21-09 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-21-09, 05:18 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Go with larger pictures in your postings. I use photobucket. By the way, I have a 78' Spitfire 5 set up with a messenger rack.

Last edited by curbtender; 09-21-09 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-21-09, 06:18 PM
titanpersaeus

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have a question .. for someone that has not alot of experience with bikes, but decent skill in putting things together .. would it be a good idea to try and rebuild bikes and do stuff by yourself with instruction?

and also whats a good paint to use if you wanted to strip a bike? and how should i go about doing that? as in do you need to prime or anything like that thanks
Old 09-22-09, 07:23 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by kingfish254
No offense taken. I do usually try to have at least one photo with a solid backdrop, but I have had some buyers comment about the photos, so I assumed I was on the right track. I do agree that if the background is too busy, the bike gets lost.
Artsy photos have their place but for selling on CL or Ebay a nive solid back drop with nothing 'interfering' with the bike is best.

All my pics are basicly the same. The 2 Colnago and Tomassini pics will give you an idea of how an odd background takes away from the bike itself:

Old 09-22-09, 07:31 PM
miamijim

Originally Posted by titanpersaeus
i have a question .. for someone that has not alot of experience with bikes, but decent skill in putting things together .. would it be a good idea to try and rebuild bikes and do stuff by yourself with instruction?

and also whats a good paint to use if you wanted to strip a bike? and how should i go about doing that? as in do you need to prime or anything like that thanks
Rule #57387: Try to buy bikes that need a minimal amount of work.
Rule #45689: Rust is bad. Very bad.

If you have decent mechanical skills start with something thats in good shape with shiney paint and no rust. A bike like that will need a basic tune-up and a good polishing. Try a few bikes like that first and work your way up. The last thing you want to do is to buy a bike that needs more parts and labor than you were anticipating.

As far as paint goes try a name brand enamal.
Old 09-22-09, 08:31 PM
curbtender

Favorite backgound. Early AM shot, no shadows.
Old 09-23-09, 07:47 AM
miamijim

Originally Posted by curbtender
Favorite backgound. Early AM shot, no shadows.

I try to take mine at high noon. I'll ride around the apartment complex until I find a garage door in the proper lighting.
Old 09-28-09, 08:16 AM
adventurer90
Seasoned Rider/Wrench

Bikes: 2004 Colnago C40, 2005 Epic, 1980 Schwinn Paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flipping as a business and who does it

I've seen several notes about the karma of flipping as if it's good, bad, a sin...bottom line, there are only a few out there that have the skills to do the necessary work on a bike to make it flippable (not withstanding those out there that hunt for bargains and resell intact). I do the opposite: I buy decent, generally higher end bikes right, break them down and resell the components. I do okay--enough to feed my habit of nice bikes. When I buy a bike I tell the seller up front what I do--sometimes even sharing the spreadsheet I put together ahead of time with the estimate of what I can sell the parts for. And I tell the seller they are welcome to do the same. But most, well, all of the sellers, don't have the skills or time or place or desire to do it. And the buyers of the parts I sell seem delighted to get good parts cleaned, brought back to original specs. I believe I am a functional part of the landscape.
Old 10-02-09, 09:06 AM
mercutiojb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
A good example of a CL heading: "Vintage ladies bike, suits a rider 5'3-5'9, pink, bell, fenders, basket"
Can anyone give me a link to some kind of sizing guide? Or rule of thumb?

I wouldn't call myself a flipper, but I seem to be collecting 70's & 80's Schwinn road bikes at an alarming rate. I wouldn't mind unloading a few!
Old 10-02-09, 10:38 AM
mercutiojb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
I have to amend my no MTB stand on flipping. There are just so many of them out there, that is what you will find at thrift stores and garage sales. If you buy right, you can maintain a decent ($100) margin on them. But you really have to buy right, as the nice ones tend to sell in the $125 to $150 price range (so do that math). I have flipped several Trek and Specialized MTBs this year.
I admit, I know nothing about any of this, but I see cheap Specialized MTB's everywhere. Many of them are in mint condition, as it seems people buy them but never ride them (or only ride them down the street and back)
Old 10-02-09, 10:39 AM
mercutiojb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
I have to amend my no MTB stand on flipping. There are just so many of them out there, that is what you will find at thrift stores and garage sales. If you buy right, you can maintain a decent ($100) margin on them. But you really have to buy right, as the nice ones tend to sell in the $125 to $150 price range (so do that math). I have flipped several Trek and Specialized MTBs this year.
Also, what's your view on hybrids?
Old 10-02-09, 09:38 PM
krems81 

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mercutiojb
I admit, I know nothing about any of this, but I see cheap Specialized MTB's everywhere. Many of them are in mint condition, as it seems people buy them but never ride them (or only ride them down the street and back)
Probably because of the tires more than anything else. Put on some slicks and they'll be tooling around town. Humans are simple creatures.
Old 10-14-09, 08:41 AM
illenvillain

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
i bought a trials bike (which is a mountain bike with bmx geometry) for 250 and after i beat the hell out of it for 2 days i sold it for 370
Old 10-14-09, 09:53 AM
miamijim

Money pits...possibly worse than mtb's.

Originally Posted by illenvillain
i bought a trials bike (which is a mountain bike with bmx geometry) for 250 and after i beat the hell out of it for 2 days i sold it for 370
Thats the way to do it!!!
Old 10-14-09, 09:56 AM
jtgotsjets

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by krems81
Probably because of the tires more than anything else. Put on some slicks and they'll be tooling around town. Humans are simple creatures.
I'm gonna go ahead and say that most people aren't going to ride their bike no matter what.
Old 10-14-09, 05:27 PM
curbtender

Originally Posted by jtgotsjets
I'm gonna go ahead and say that most people aren't going to ride their bike no matter what.
I'd have to agree. If you didn't grow up riding, then biking is just another exercise machine. But still, the hybrids are going to sell because people want to be comfortable when they ride. Even if it's only one time around the block.
Old 10-19-09, 04:02 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

A decent hybrid (i.e. 80s, early 90s double-butter steel or better) can make a decent cross bike and be marketed as such. Cross bikes are in high demand.
Old 11-03-09, 07:35 PM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 26 Posts
I wasn't sure where to ask but this seems like the right place. I couldn't find this answered anywhere so...
I have a bike to flip, mid 80's and mid level. It has the original foam grip on the bars in like new condition and no bar hoods.
Can the foam stay or does it have to go in favor or some new bar tape?
Will the average buyer just looking for a bike in good shape to ride around campus, etc. really care?

I have always replaced the foam before but it was never useable.
This picture is for reference only, grabbed of the web.
Old 11-03-09, 08:38 PM
miamijim

Originally Posted by tmh657
I wasn't sure where to ask but this seems like the right place. I couldn't find this answered anywhere so...
I have a bike to flip, mid 80's and mid level. It has the original foam grip on the bars in like new condition and no bar hoods.
Can the foam stay or does it have to go in favor or some new bar tape?
Will the average buyer just looking for a bike in good shape to ride around campus, etc. really care?

I have always replaced the foam before but it was never useable.
This picture is for reference only, grabbed of the web.

The key to any successfull flip is to maximize profit. Do NOT replace anything that doesnt need replacing. If the foam grips are in good condition leave them alone. Buyers of casual bikes like foam grips.
Old 11-03-09, 09:03 PM
retyred

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
The key to any successfull flip is to maximize profit. Do NOT replace anything that doesnt need replacing. If the foam grips are in good condition leave them alone. Buyers of casual bikes like foam grips.
+1
Old 11-04-09, 10:22 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 386 Posts
Is there any downside to the COD method of payment? I have been contacted about a bike and the buyer wants it shipped but can only pay cash, am I setting myself up to be scammed? What about as a buyer in the COD transaction, could I get scammed by a seller? Thanks.
Old 11-04-09, 11:42 AM
miamijim

Is there any downside to the COD method of payment? I have been contacted about a bike and the buyer wants it shipped but can only pay cash, am I setting myself up to be scammed? What about as a buyer in the COD transaction, could I get scammed by a seller? Thanks.
Payment in full and cleared before delivery. I'll take any form of payment but its always cashed if its a check, or transfered out of my Paypal account before delivery.
Old 11-04-09, 05:21 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 386 Posts
Yes, good thinking.

What about as a buyer? I have never received a COD package, I would assume that I just make sure everything inside is as it should be and then hand over the cash?
Old 11-05-09, 12:25 PM
Iowegian

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Yes, good thinking.

What about as a buyer? I have never received a COD package, I would assume that I just make sure everything inside is as it should be and then hand over the cash?
Yep. Which can be hard if it's a bike and packaged correctly. The delivery guy will be standing there with his truck idling, not a great time for an inspection of all the parts inside the box. They usually will take a check or CC as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.