Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-12, 09:06 AM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Amesja
There is no name for the sort of short-bus special that induces ANYONE to reply to an ad that they have no intention of buying and telling them they are charging too much...

This guy has it in spades.
Thank you for the affirmation. I'm feeling like pulling the ad now that the "short bus" crowd have actually started to read.
Old 06-05-12, 09:21 AM
Snydermann
Lotus Monomaniac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Amesja
There is no name for the sort of short-bus special that induces ANYONE to reply to an ad that they have no intention of buying and telling them they are charging too much...

This guy has it in spades.
What about the folks who feel it's their duty to inform the seller that the price is too low? I almost lost a bike over the weekend because someone injected themselves into a deal. I actually paid a fair price for the bike, but to the uninformed it looked cheap.
Old 06-05-12, 09:28 AM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Snydermann
What about the folks who feel it's their duty to inform the seller that the price is too low? I almost lost a bike over the weekend because someone injected themselves into a deal. I actually paid a fair price for the bike, but to the uninformed it looked cheap.
I confess to feeling tempted to do that. I'm so ashamed...
Old 06-05-12, 10:38 AM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by anixi
Thank you for the affirmation. I'm feeling like pulling the ad now that the "short bus" crowd have actually started to read.
So I asked the guy some questions:

Since you are so knowledgeable on bike, I won't argue with you. You seem like you know a lot about bikes. A couple of questions for you:

So, what are the tubes made of in my bike? What is the seat tube and head tube angles for the bike? What is the bottom bracket manufacturer? What is the crankset manufacturer? What is a "Campagnolo Record Wheelset" worth? What is a Simplex drivetrain worth on Ebay? What's the latest selling price for a Peugeot PX-10 on Ebay?

When you can answer these questions, I'll think about answering yours.

His "answer":

"All those questions are completely irrelevant, they're essentially identical bikes of same era and quality components. And prices of bikes on Ebay is a joke. There is a moron that owns BBC bike store that puts these old bikes up and insane prices that he never sells them for. I would stand this Raleigh next to your Peugeot and no way you could tell me one has more value then other."

The questions are irrelevant. "And prices of bikes on Ebay is a joke" Aside from the grammar being insipid, the boy has a point, and if he combs his hair differently he might just hide it.

This is getting fun!! My answer to lamebrain was:

"
Your knowledge is irrefutable. You seem to realize that France and England are the same country! Wow, I had no idea! Peugeot is made in France. Raleigh is made in England, but, according to you they're the same exact country! Amazing!

Also, according to you, the Raleigh Grand Prix and the Peugeot PX-10 are the same exact bike! Amazing! How did you figure that out? You're brilliant! And the components that the two have are identical also! That's really interesting since the Raleigh has cottered cranks and the Peugeot have cotterless cranks. Oh, and the Raleigh has one kind of wheels, and the Peugeot have the top of the line Campagnolo Record wheels, but, they're valued the same. Amazing again! Your valuation of bicycles is so precise and intelligent. You've obviously spent a lot of time researching your claims and know so much about the subject. I stand in awe of your prowess at bicycle lore. You've beat me, I give up, you win. You're awesome!"

I love it!
Old 06-05-12, 09:07 PM
GTizzy

Bikes: Miyata 621 Touring, Dahon Smooth Hound (Demountable)

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This Gary Fisher video-craigslist ad is possibly the strangest thing I've seen:

https://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/bik/3059464543.html
Old 06-05-12, 11:16 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GTizzy
This Gary Fisher video-craigslist ad is possibly the strangest thing I've seen:

https://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/bik/3059464543.html
Complete with gigantic jiggly boobs. Wow, what a video. I'm sure the one with the jiggly boobs was very prudent to not have her face shown. I sure hope he doesn't sell the silly thing. What a ****er!
Old 06-06-12, 09:34 AM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Yet another overpriced Denali. Maybe it's an underpriced Denau.

[h=2]GMC DENAU - $210 (ANAHEIM)[/h] [HR][/HR] Date: 2012-06-05, 12:26PM PDT
Reply to: x4mv4-3054014561@sale.craigslist.org [SUP][Errors when replying to ads?][/SUP] [HR][/HR]
ads not by this site

MOVING OUTTA STATE SALE I HAVE A SUPER GREAT CONDITION "GMC DENAU" BIKE FOR SALE ASKING 210 OR BEST OFFER PAID ALMOST 400 TOTAL PLEASE CALL OR TEXT 714 767 4586 FOR PICS AND FURTHER QUESTIONS

And they're still $160.00 at Walmart. I emailed the dude the Wally world link. If he paid $400 for that toad, I got a lot of stuff to sell him.
Old 06-07-12, 05:24 AM
palangmead

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://berlin.de.craigslist.de/bik/3059126163.html

Seems the starting price for a "Vintage Racebike" in Berlin is €250!
Old 06-07-12, 05:30 AM
palangmead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by anixi
Complete with gigantic jiggly boobs. Wow, what a video. I'm sure the one with the jiggly boobs was very prudent to not have her face shown. I sure hope he doesn't sell the silly thing. What a ****er!
He must be doing something right, His mrs looks like a lovely lass to me!
Old 06-07-12, 06:13 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Today's marketing master:

His ad: "Old Scwinn Bike, I have no clue what year or anything. Come look Saturday June9th, from 8am to 1pm. Call for directions"

No pictures of course. No price either.
Old 06-07-12, 07:02 AM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Today's marketing master:

His ad: "Old Scwinn Bike, I have no clue what year or anything. Come look Saturday June9th, from 8am to 1pm. Call for directions"

No pictures of course. No price either.
There is a guy in the Chicago area that flips a lot of bikes. Every ad he makes has "...-LIKE A SCHWINN" at the end of the listing title. Seriously, does he think this is some sort of an extra selling point**********
Old 06-07-12, 07:32 PM
oberthecat

Bikes: 1985 & 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 1986 Schwinn Super Sport, 1985 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1973 silver Schwinn P13 Pamanount 1972 Chrome Schwinn P13 Paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This made me laugh.

It does have some age wear and some of the chrome could use a little polishing

It will need new tires not from use but from a lack of use, the side walls are worn from lack of use, they were recently filled with air from this decade and the rear still is holding but the front leaked out

Old 06-07-12, 07:36 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by palangmead
He must be doing something right, His mrs looks like a lovely lass to me!
She might have some "attractive features" but, she's got the PWT thing going on strong!
Old 06-09-12, 08:54 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Ummm okay...

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/bik/3068090972.html

Red Schwinn Stolen (Seminole Heights)

Brazen, dangerous crooks stole my bikes in full view of evil busybody neighbors. They are felons and should be considered deadly if they are willing to steal this way they are probably armed. Please report any sitings of a red schwinn road bike with red handelbar tape, lock mounted on frame, rear rack with black Schwinn trunk. The joke is on these greedy theives. Bike was recently damaged beyond repair and was due to be replaced. Should they keep it and try to ride it it'll probably kill them. So much the better, eh! If your the jerks you can imagine the expletives I have for you. Report where and when you saw these idiots to Mark @ eight 13- seven 75 - 5847. If anyone has recently had your property stolen you know the Tampa Police are worse than ueless in capturing or even investigating small thefts. Their policy is to not investigate any crime of less than eight thousand dollars. Oh and when you report a crime guess what the first thing cops do... They look up your name for problems. Get it anyone they contact is assumed to be a criminal before they do a thing to help. Sorry about the rant, but these blue suited ignorami get my goat.
Old 06-09-12, 09:05 PM
TuckamoreDew

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...AdIdZ386798781

[h=1]Vintage Schwinn Le Tour III Bicycle Made in Japan[/h]
[TABLE="class: viewad_frame_tbl, width: 260"]
[TR]
[TD="class: viewad_frame_m viewad_frame_brand2"][TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="class: first_col first_row"]Date Listed [/TD]
[TD="class: first_row"] 09-Jun-12 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: first_col"]Last Edited [/TD]
[TD] 09-Jun-12 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: first_col"]Price [/TD]
[TD] $2,800.00 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: first_col"]Address [/TD]
[TD] Edmonton, AB T5S 1A2, Canada
View map [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: viewad_frame_fill"] [TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="class: viewad_frame_fill"]

[/TD]
[TD="class: viewad_frame_bm viewad_frame_brand1, width: 99%"]

[/TD]
[TD="class: viewad_frame_fill"]

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
It is a 56cm with a 56.5cm toptube.

This $9200 bike only weighs 15.1 pounds!

This frame is super fast and very light. Great for anything from Sunday at the races to 5 hour epic rides.
Old 06-10-12, 09:48 AM
metabike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Misspelling aren't anything new, even when all you have to do is copy down the symbols, but getting "Exaggerated" out of "Exage" has got to count for something extra wacky:
[h=2]Raleigh Road Bire - $125 (Sioux Falls)[/h] [HR][/HR] Date: 2012-05-19, 10:29AM CDT
Reply to: b3rbr-3025095593@sale.craigslist.org [SUP][Errors when replying to ads?][/SUP] [HR][/HR]
I am selling a Raleigh Technium Olypian Road Bike
21 Speed Exaggerated 300lx derailer
Maxcis r3 700x25c rims and tires Tires are like new
25 1/4 inches from crank to top of post
22 1/2 inches top bar

Old 06-10-12, 06:52 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Lovely.

Vintage Schwinn - $90 (Miami Beach)
Date: 2012-06-10, 1:52PM EDT
Reply to: cczsm-3069167308@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Hipsters Delight!
I have a really cool vintage schwinn.
brand new breaks, grip tape and tubes!
And the best of all a Louis Vuitton bike seat!!!
Rides great, has a little bit of rust but nothing
a paint job wouldn't fix.

I move in 2 weeks so I need this little beauty gone!
Call, Text or Email me
570-847-4661

Old 06-10-12, 07:46 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,767 Times in 635 Posts
Cool old cruiser. The real deal. One gear. ***** to ride. Seat is super uncomfortable but looks cool. White wall tires....way cool. A bike junkie/techie could make this thing sing. My friend left town and I got his lame new "old style" cruiser. It's not as cool but it rides easier especially when you drunk...3 speeds.

Trade if for a bag a weed or something.

This one just made laugh.
Old 06-10-12, 11:37 PM
Dale Clyde
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HERE IS A VERY RARE AND ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND MID 70'S SCHWINN "PARAMOUNT RACER" ROAD BIKE, HAS 27 INCH WHEELS 24" FRAME WITH NEW SPECIALIZED HIGH PRESSURE TIRES WITH DIA COMPE CALIPER STYLE BRAKES ALL CHROME FRAME WITH THE SPECIAL HAMMERED LOOK FINISH. THIS WAS A FACTORY OPTION THAT WAS SPECIAL ORDER ONLY AND WAS DISCONTINUED DUE TO THE COST OF THE BIKE BACK ING THE 70'S. 10 SPEED SHIMANO SHIFTERS, QUICK RELEASE FRONT WHEEL ABSOULUTLY RUST FREE SINCE IT IS CHROME FINISH. RIDES LIKE A MODERN DAY BIKE. COMPLETELY TUNED CLEANED AND SERVICED FOR SUMMER FUN OR A GREAT PIECE OF SCHWINN HISTORY. I TOOK THIS TO A LOCAL BIKE DEALER AND THEY OFFERED 250 SO I FIGURE IT MUST BE WORHT AT LEAST 295.00. DONT MISS THIS ONE

******CALL 402-630-7915 OR 402-630-4513****295.00 cash no checks please

Old 06-11-12, 04:33 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Roypercy
Wow. It's like the place where the Bicycle Serial Killer dumps the bodies...
Maybe it's a bikeball and one will give birth to Nexts.
Old 06-11-12, 04:34 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Originally Posted by zukahn1
This one just made laugh.
Weed? It's at least worth a crappy receiver...
Old 06-11-12, 04:41 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami
Lovely.
What is the pink hanger for, acquisition?
Old 06-11-12, 04:45 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by bikecrate
Ummm okay...

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/bik/3068090972.html

Red Schwinn Stolen (Seminole Heights)

Brazen, dangerous crooks stole my bikes in full view of evil busybody neighbors. They are felons and should be considered deadly if they are willing to steal this way they are probably armed. Please report any sitings of a red schwinn road bike with red handelbar tape, lock mounted on frame, rear rack with black Schwinn trunk. The joke is on these greedy theives. Bike was recently damaged beyond repair and was due to be replaced. Should they keep it and try to ride it it'll probably kill them. So much the better, eh! If your the jerks you can imagine the expletives I have for you. Report where and when you saw these idiots to Mark @ eight 13- seven 75 - 5847. If anyone has recently had your property stolen you know the Tampa Police are worse than ueless in capturing or even investigating small thefts. Their policy is to not investigate any crime of less than eight thousand dollars. Oh and when you report a crime guess what the first thing cops do... They look up your name for problems. Get it anyone they contact is assumed to be a criminal before they do a thing to help. Sorry about the rant, but these blue suited ignorami get my goat.
And they got his goat too. Must suck to have mob neighbors and Roscoe P. Coltrane and Enos at the PD.
Old 06-11-12, 08:32 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Pardon me ladies, but ONLY IN NEW JERSEY can you find this feline of a bike!
Old 06-11-12, 08:37 AM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 185 Posts
oh my goodness

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.