Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

VIDEO - Joey Brooks vs Roadie

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

VIDEO - Joey Brooks vs Roadie

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-09, 08:58 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by GodsBassist
The tilted camera makes it look like NO is sliding slowly into the ocean...
Sorry 'bout that. Not the first time I have done that. Now I have big letters NO written all over the edge of the front of the camera with silver sharpie ink. If I look down and see NO staring back at me, I need to turn the CCD.

We don't need to slide into the Gulf. It's coming for us!
Old 05-27-09, 09:21 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Quel
...at that light you came close enough to the car coming in from the right that a lot of people would have slammed on their brakes if they noticed you there.
If you listen closely at that place in the vid you will hear a horn blow. That was a white pickup heading the other direction that did not show up in the vid. It was a bit of "thread the needle" for sure.

Originally Posted by Quel
You only caught up to him because he slowed down much more than you on the red light.
I only passed him at the start of the video because he had poor light-running skills. All part of running an open course. It ain't just about raw speed, although speed sure helped him on the long, straight run with few crossings and no traffic to speak of. I was definitely in his element after the first light.
Old 05-27-09, 09:32 PM
SPlKE 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
HERE is a helmet cam video filmed by a friend. I am on a road bike in the white shirt. When we make the turn onto Canal Street about halfway through you will see some pretty fast riding. This vid is not sped up in editing.

It's the only video where I am an "actor" and not behind the camera. Eventually, I continue my commute and the others turn around to play in traffic some more.
NICE RIDE.

You might want to give the camera guy a few lessons in how to walk through walls so he can keep up next time.

Old 05-27-09, 09:52 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by SPlKE
NICE RIDE.

You might want to give the camera guy a few lessons in how to walk through walls so he can keep up next time.

I should have mentioned that the camera man was riding a fixed gear bike. I think he just spun out in the faster parts. He kept up better than I thought he would when he asked me to go on that ride to test his camera setup.

And thanks. That was a nice ride. The guy behind me in the vid is the fastest rider I know. I was riding the same route with him one evening hanging on his wheel for dear life on my road bike. I croaked out "Cut it back a notch" and he heard "Kick it up a notch!" By the time we got to his turn-off a mile later my mouth tasted like I had a handfull of rusty iron in it. I had broken a capillary or two in my lungs and the blood got atomized up my windpipe like gasoline through a carburetor. I made it home the last mile after his turn-off, told my wife not to speak to me (cause I couldn't say more than a word or two anyway) and went to bed for 12 hours.
Old 05-27-09, 10:13 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If you listen closely at that place in the vid you will hear a horn blow. That was a white pickup heading the other direction that did not show up in the vid. It was a bit of "thread the needle" for sure.

I only passed him at the start of the video because he had poor light-running skills. All part of running an open course. It ain't just about raw speed, although speed sure helped him on the long, straight run with few crossings and no traffic to speak of. I was definitely in his element after the first light.
Running an open course? Were you competing? You look like a gaper trying desperately to hold onto your delusions of grandeur. Enter some races and post results. If you want respect, earn it. You are a joke.
Old 05-27-09, 10:31 PM
urban_assault
53 miles per burrito

Bikes: Land Shark, Trek 1000, Iron Horse Rogue, Novara Randonee

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qmsdc15
Running an open course? Were you competing? You look like a gaper trying desperately to hold onto your delusions of grandeur. Enter some races and post results. If you want respect, earn it. You are a joke.
Hopefully you are being sarcastic, if not, it looks like someone missed the point here. It is a joke.

I hate cyclists.
All righty then. Sorry to bother you.
Old 05-27-09, 10:42 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
...speaking of going fast on a bike, here's a couple of links to handheld video i shot doing 40mph on a loaded touring bike. one from the cascades, one from the olympic mountains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6cRr...e=channel_page

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiQ89...e=channel_page

fun stuff going fast. there's a couple of hills in the city limits here you can hit 50 mph with good runouts when the pavement is dry. i really need to get a helmet cam.
Old 05-27-09, 10:46 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Enter some races and post results. If you want respect, earn it. You are a joke.
I prefer wearing regular clothes, riding my bikes instead of training on them, having a life outside of biking circles, and not putting my bike in a car and driving it someplace to ride it. Or race it. And then hang around with a group of geeks talking about my prowess (or lack thereof) and drinking beers with names I can not pronounce.

Once in a great while I get a chance aggravate some clown sausage down in the grid as I give him/her a clinic on city riding with my flowered fenders and panniers flapping in the wind in front of them.

I went two blocks out of my way to catch up with the roadie. Two blocks is about my limit. I posted the results in video form. You are free to interpret that any way you like as this is an open forum. Some folks even enjoyed it.
Old 05-27-09, 10:48 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by urban_assault
It is a joke.
He didn't stick around for that first credit to roll apparently.
Old 05-27-09, 10:56 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Love the sound of the wind ever increasing past the microphone until it is just screaming! Thought you might be going in the trees there at the end

I have been looking all over the Web for helmet cam vids of Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park. You start at just above 12,000 feet and descend non-stop down to 8000 feet in about 20 minutes. Takes me 3.5 hours to bike to the top (about 20 miles). Hair-pin turns, motor homes, cars, vans, motorcycles all bow to the road bike in descent! 45-55mph except the tight turns. Awesome. Just astounding that I can't find some good vids of cyclists on this road. Just gotta go do it myself I guess.

Here is a shot from near the top:

I grew up in CO, and am pretty familiar with Trail Ridge Road. The scenery is awesome, the terrain severe, and I commend anyone with the balls to ride down that road at very high speeds, especially during RV season. I do have an issue with your numbers, though. If the road is really 20 miles long (I can't remember if 20 miles is the actual distance or not), and you descend in 20 minutes, wouldn't that mean that your average speed is 60 mph? I'm sorry to be a wet blanket, but I think anyone attempting to ride down that road at that average speed would die, without question.

(Disclaimer: I'm a bit of a speed wimp myself. I like to think I have a relatively high average speed, just riding around, but I get uncomfortable at speeds >30 mph, and have never dared to ride a bike faster than 40 mph.)
Old 05-27-09, 10:56 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Bekologist
...speaking of going fast on a bike, here's a couple of links to handheld video i shot doing 40mph on a loaded touring bike. one from the cascades, one from the olympic mountains.
Dude! That one-handed riding was freaking me out a little bit. I kept trying to grab your bars through my monitor!

Nice job. I have seen several of your vids before now. You must have a ton of them online. I think I am up to 55 vids posted myself, 10 or so I really like. How many do you think you have up?
Old 05-27-09, 10:59 PM
urban_assault
53 miles per burrito

Bikes: Land Shark, Trek 1000, Iron Horse Rogue, Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He didn't stick around for that first credit to roll apparently.
No one appreciates to work that goes into post-production and editing.

Maybe it has been asked, but I missed it. How many of the people here watched the video with their head tilted?

*raises hand*

Old 05-27-09, 11:05 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by bragi
If the road is really 20 miles long and you descend in 20 minutes, wouldn't that mean that your average speed is 60 mph?
Yeah, that's a bit off. Average speed is more like 30-35. 45-50 much of the time on the Estes Park side, but there are at least 2 short stretches where you might want to turn the pedals. The Grand lake side is 13 miles of descent (I think) with more hairpin turns.

If you approach the hairpin turns with no traffic (look over the edge of the road downward to see if anything is coming up the road), hug the right edge of the asphalt in the approach, then cut your turn all the way to the inside edge of the asphalt (contraflow) then back to the outer edge. This way you use every inch of the road surface fogline to fogline for faster turns. A "cautious" person should be able to cut those turns at 20mph.

On the Estes Park side, I can't think of one single turn (if you go into Estes the back way) that can't be done at 40-45mph. So whatever the distance is really, you can let 'er RIP the entire run. If you take the Endo Valley turnoff (hard left at the only "T" intersection) then you will have to slow down for the turn and pretty soon hit some flats until you pass Alpenglen Campground.
Old 05-27-09, 11:08 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I prefer wearing regular clothes, riding my bikes instead of training on them, having a life outside of biking circles, and not putting my bike in a car and driving it someplace to ride it. Or race it. And then hang around with a group of geeks talking about my prowess (or lack thereof) and drinking beers with names I can not pronounce.

Once in a great while I get a chance aggravate some clown sausage down in the grid as I give him/her a clinic on city riding with my flowered fenders and panniers flapping in the wind in front of them.

I went two blocks out of my way to catch up with the roadie. Two blocks is about my limit. I posted the results in video form. You are free to interpret that any way you like as this is an open forum. Some folks even enjoyed it.
You're special.
Old 05-27-09, 11:14 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
You are giving clinics on how to ride like a jerk. You are competing with motorcycles, cars, cyclists that are not competing with you. How can you be so competitive and have such disdain for riders who actually compete with other riders who are aware of being in a competition?
Old 05-27-09, 11:15 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by urban_assault
Maybe it has been asked, but I missed it. How many of the people here watched the video with their head tilted?
You want a really good laugh? This is what the raw vid looked like before any editing

I spent two freakin' hours on the Web hunting accessories to my editing program to fix that screwup.
Old 05-27-09, 11:26 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

You are giving clinics on how to ride like a jerk. You are competing with motorcycles, cars, cyclists that are not competing with you. How can you be so competitive and have such disdain for riders who actually compete with other riders who are aware of being in a competition?
The only competition in my mind comes from other cyclists. Like two kayaks racing in a white water river. I am swept up in the flow (traffic going my way) and avoiding the rocks (crossing traffic). The geek was my only target.

As I stated in an earlier post, I was mashing out 25 mph when MR. Legs-like-god strolled past me with little apparent effort.

The rest of the story: He was pissed that I killed him at the first light. He drafted a white SUV to catch me and dropped off as he got 20 feet behind me and used that momentum to crush me. Then he forgot about me, relaxed, and let me hang on until he failed at the second light. From there, I don't know what his problem was because I was eating up ground between us like crazy. Perhaps he was toying with me, I really don't know. Maybe he wanted to chat about where I bought those flowered fenders (that I installed JUST to pi$$ off the roadies). What I do know is he cared BIG TIME. As expected he is obviously a competitive person. So am I to a point. We were both quite happy to blow red lights. You really can't single me out here. The roadie was giving the same clinic...almost.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 05-27-09 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-27-09, 11:38 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Keep in mind that I am riding a 40lb Long Haul Trucker with heavy 26x2.0 tires with 25psi in the front tire to absorb shock for the handlebar cam. I was a tad outgunned.

Sorry 'bout the camera tilt. Operator error.

VIDEO (3:45)
That was pretty amusing; did the other guy know you were trying to keep up? Speaking for myself, roadies, I mean real roadies, simply can't be caught when you're riding a LHT, especially one that's loaded with books and beer. Given the differences in equipment, especially the very under-inflated front tire, you did pretty well.

BTW, how do you manage to ride so fast? That part of your videos impresses me to no end. I can't manage to ride faster than 20 mph on my LHT on flat ground for any extended period of time, and my moving average is more like 16-17 mph; yet you seem able to do 20-25 mph pretty much all the time. What are you eating?
Old 05-28-09, 12:07 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
You almost had him...
Old 05-28-09, 12:10 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

...did the other guy know you were trying to keep up?
I doubt it. He had earbuds and was pretty oblivious of me behind him for five blocks before the first red light. I edited out those five blocks BTW. He probably forgot about me soon after passing me.

BTW, how do you manage to ride so fast?
20 years car free, 35 years car light? I was the fastest kid on my block too, but I had a 24 inch bike, the rest of the kids had 20 inch wheels and slower bikes in general. I ran track in middle school and high school. Won so many ribbons I would throw them in the trash at the track right after the award ceremony. So genetics must play a big part.

Let me clear the air about speed on the Trucker. 20 is pretty comfortable. 18 is REALLY comfortable. 25 hurts like hell. I just have the capacity to hurt like hell a very long time.
Old 05-28-09, 12:33 AM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman

I can't believe I ride a bike as much as I do and then I come on here and watch somebody else's bike ride.

Loved it.
+1 I was laughing all the way thru the vid. I spit my water when he turned around and saw you were still within striking distance. I think he thought he'd buried you. All your vids are fun and interesting. Thanks alot for sharing them.
Old 05-28-09, 04:55 AM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The rest of the story: He was pissed that I killed him at the first light. He drafted a white SUV to catch me and dropped off as he got 20 feet behind me and used that momentum to crush me. Then he forgot about me, relaxed, and let me hang on until he failed at the second light. From there, I don't know what his problem was because I was eating up ground between us like crazy. Perhaps he was toying with me, I really don't know. Maybe he wanted to chat about where I bought those flowered fenders (that I installed JUST to pi$$ off the roadies). What I do know is he cared BIG TIME. As expected he is obviously a competitive person. So am I to a point. We were both quite happy to blow red lights. You really can't single me out here. The roadie was giving the same clinic...almost.

I love the way you present the roadie as a loser.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 05-28-09, 05:36 AM
Quel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
By "thread the needle" you mean "ridiculously stupid"? There is a big difference between that maneuver and the ones in the rest of your videos I've seen.
Old 05-28-09, 06:51 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by dobber
I love the way you present the roadie as a loser.
Well, that's a bit harsh. He would have some challenges following me through the grid at rush hour, and even more challenges if he led the way. I would probably pick the better line through traffic and across intersections, because the better line is NOT what is preached and practiced by conventional suburban cyclists.

On the other hand, if we were in his natural habitat on a closed or semi-closed race course for 50 to 100 miles - me on the LHT and him on the Seven (or whatever) - I might as well be sponsored by Loser Inc., and get that printed on my shirt for the race.
Old 05-28-09, 06:52 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by nashcommguy
All your vids are fun and interesting. Thanks alot for sharing them.
You (and buzzman) are welcome. Ain't the Internet GREAT!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.