Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How is it supposed to sound?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-10, 02:56 PM
bigbluebike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bought a 1970 Triumph 3 speed a couple weeks ago. It was in very good condition other than the fact I couldn't shift it down to first gear.

It hadn't been ridden very much and I figured the SA hub was just gummed up with old dry grease. I took it to a mechanic and they said they flushed it out. Sure enough I can shift to all 3 gears now. Going to first is still a bit sticky, but I know that this is a known issue with some SA hubs so I wasn't too worried.

But here's the thing- the ticking sound when I coast is loud. Really loud.

It's making me wonder if the hub was flushed out properly or if there are other problems the mechanic missed.

I know it's going to be a subjective description, but I mean, how loud should that ticking sound be on a healthy old english 3 speed?
Old 06-29-10, 04:08 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Three speeds do tend to click fairly loudly. Hard to tell sound on a forum. If they lubricated with an appropriate oil that's just how loud it's going to be. You might ask them what they lubricated the hub with after flushing it out. I'm not a big fan of "flushing out" with the hub in place - too easy for whatever is used to remain and dilute the oil. It's much better to pull the guts, and not that difficult, also allows you to inspect parts and grease the bearings.

Here's a video from an English gentleman - who better to demo? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea6krXSs-lc

I would recommend a medium weight motor oil. If you want something that will be reasonably thick and resist water try Phil Tenacious oil. Putting a bit more in will not help, but look for oil weeping out of the dust seals.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 06-29-10 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-30-10, 07:42 AM
bigbluebike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definietley hard to tell sound in a forum. I'm a bit relieved to hear that three speeds click fairly loudly. It's entirely possible this is just the bike's natural sound.

Good info about flushing- didn't realize that. Called the shop last night and they mentioned they used a very light oil. That surprised me since I'd heard it would be best to use Phil Tenacious oil, as you recommended. I'm going to put some in the hub tonight and let it work in. Even if the clicking noise doesn't get softer, at least I'll be sure it's well lubricated.

Thanks so much for the reply!
Old 06-30-10, 12:00 PM
badamsjr
17yrold in 64yrold body

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clicking loudness is subjective, but I have noticed that my Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels are WAY louder than my Cane Creek Aeroheads. Probably similar with 3spds. Some are louder than others.