Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Poll: How many 50+ Wear Helmets?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: How Many 50+ Wear a Helmet?
Always Have
79.91%
Just started wearing one recently
10.96%
Occasionally
3.20%
Used to but no longer wear one
0.91%
Never have
5.02%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-04, 12:28 PM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Bikes: Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do You Wear A Helmet?

1. Always have
2. Just recently started wearing one
3. Sometimes
4. Never have
Old 11-20-04, 12:39 PM
Bop Bop
The Iceman cometh!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would not think of riding without one, regardless of age! It's the last thing I put on before getting on my bike to ride.
Old 11-20-04, 12:54 PM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started riding when I was a kd - long before anyone thought of wearing a helmet . Then when I returned to cycling I really din't think there was much reason to wear one now.

Then my kids started bugging me to wear a helmet
And my friends started bugging me to wear a helmet.
So I figured it was time to just do it
Old 11-20-04, 12:57 PM
Red Baron

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I never wore one as a kid but voted 'always have' since I have now grown up. Besides- this is a 50's forum.
Old 11-20-04, 12:59 PM
suntreader
Out of breath again.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I voted "Always" but it's not quite true. Helmets weren't available when I started riding. I bought my first helmet in 1983... an ugly white Bell helmet... and have been wearing helmets since then.
Old 11-20-04, 01:29 PM
UncaStuart
Sophomoric Member

Bikes: Trek 5000, Novara Randonee, Meridian Cascade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Always have" since my return to cycling 11 years ago.

Came in handy last January when I crashed on a fast descent, broke pelvis, rib, collar bone, collapsed a lung. Right side of the helmet crumpled, never lost consciousness, nor even had a stiff neck from whiplash. Works for me!
Old 11-20-04, 03:38 PM
TysonB

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UncaStuart
"Always have" since my return to cycling 11 years ago.

Came in handy last January when I crashed on a fast descent, broke pelvis, rib, collar bone, collapsed a lung. Right side of the helmet crumpled, never lost consciousness, nor even had a stiff neck from whiplash. Works for me!
Yuck!!! Unca, hope you're fully recovered now. I always feel these bicycle helmets are flimsy and don't offer enough rear lower head coverage compared to the Bell full face I wear on by CB-1100-F Honda road bike. Sounds like yours did the job, though. The famous 1970's era University of Southern California "Hurt" study of motorcycle accidents showed that even a $5.00 helmet did wonders toward saving your life compared to none at all.

Tyson
Old 11-20-04, 03:58 PM
jazzy_cyclist

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The statistics are tough to argue with: the vast majority of cycling deaths could have been prevented by wearing a helmet. Certainly no guarantee, but I'll take the odds.
Old 11-20-04, 07:31 PM
Jessica
cut my gas use in half

Bikes: walmart beater, Dahon boardwalk, A bike, schwinn tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have a friend who lost 6 months work over no helmet on American River Bike Trail...

I guess I should admit I did not wear a helmet back when no one had thought of them, but I have since they have been available. My dad was one of the first in our neighborhood to put in seatbelts, too...
Old 11-20-04, 07:56 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
There was no appropriate category for me. I started cycling in 1962, at age 12, when I finally had good enough physical coordination to balance a bicycle. In those days, no one wore a helmet, or even thought to do so. In 1970, I bought a vinly/leather "hairnet" helmet, the moved up to a heavily padded Kucharik version thereof in 1973. https://www.whipcareandrepairs.com/items/7105788457.html

In late 1976, immediately after my one collision with a motor vehicle (concussion, double fracture of left clavicle, permanent facial scar over my left cheekbone), I bought a Bell Biker. Over the years, I have used various Bell helmets, and more recently tried a Giro.

During the 1972 Los Angeles Wheelmen Double Century, I lost a valued friend to traumatic brain injury, the result of his hitting his head on a curb during two separate moderate-speed collisions about 50 miles apart. (In both cases, he struck the rear wheel of the bike in front, during some aggressive drafting.) These are the sorts of brain injuries against which a helmet can be most effective. My memorial to him is that I always wear a helmet, my sons always wear helmets, and I recommend helmets to fellow cyclists. I also maintain a following distance on group rides, even though this means I have to "break my own wind" (so to speak) ...
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 11-20-04, 08:04 PM
JavaMan

Bikes: 2013 KHS Flite 747

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my first helmet before I bought my first bike! Been wearing a helmet since 1987.
Tom
Old 11-20-04, 09:41 PM
CRUM
Recovering Retro-grouch

Bikes: Too Many - 7 or 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have broken 5 helmets since my return to the sport in the early 80's. So, yeah, always. Well, no, that is not true. I test ride the repairs and new bike assemblies w/o one in the parking lot.

My Blog - Lost in the Bo Zone
Old 11-20-04, 11:14 PM
GeezerGeek

Bikes: 1993 Infinity LWB, Bacchetta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Started protecting the noggin with a rock climbing helmet 30 years ago. Always wear a biking helmet now.
Old 11-20-04, 11:15 PM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
There was no appropriate category for me. I started cycling in 1962, at age 12, when I finally had good enough physical coordination to balance a bicycle. In those days, no one wore a helmet, or even thought to do so. In 1970, I bought a vinly/leather "hairnet" helmet, the moved up to a heavily padded Kucharik version thereof in 1973. https://www.whipcareandrepairs.com/items/7105788457.html

That's pretty much almost "always." Maybe I should have added "for quite some time" or most of your adult life?

Stacy
Old 11-21-04, 12:04 AM
UncaStuart
Sophomoric Member

Bikes: Trek 5000, Novara Randonee, Meridian Cascade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TysonB
Yuck!!! Unca, hope you're fully recovered now.
Thanks for asking! OK except for some residual rotator cuff problems that are more problematic off the bike than on. The helmet hangs in a place of honor in the store room, where I give it a pat of thanks every once in a while (and then gripe that they don't make that model in red anymore so I had to settle for a white replacement).
Old 11-21-04, 07:55 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
A True helmet story:

When I was about 19yo, industries and businesses were just getting into the usage of helmets for safety (about 1958).

I worked as a summer firefighter for the US Forest Service in San Diego County (Cleveland National Forest) on a crew of three in the extreme back country in Corral Canyon near Lake Morena and Los Pinos Lookout (Both the fire station and the lookout are now gone). We had a small "slip-on" unit with a "live reel" on top to make our 1957 Chevy one-ton into a fire truck. I was the driver.

That was the first summer we were required to wear a helmet AKA "hard hat" - it was aluminum.

One day we were dispatched to a brush fire about 30 miles away, also in a remote area. We were making an attack on the fire, and we ran out of water. Fortunately the other two crew members had left the truck as I was returning to a nurse tanker to fill up on water. As I was returning, the smoke became very dense and I missed a turn on the dirt road and the right front wheel went off the very soft embankment and the fire truck followed and rolled over 360 degrees (the "live reel" kept the truck level as it rolled), into the fire, landing on its wheels. I was wearing my "hard hat" and tumbled around the cab of the truck, breaking a window with my head, and ended up with absolutely no injuries. A D-7 caterpillar tractor was dispatched, I put out some of the fire with the hand extinguisher, and the Cat pulled me and the truck to safety.

The net result: I had my picture taken because the "hard hat" likely saved my life or at least saved me from serious injury, had an article in the local (Alpine) and San Diego paper, and received an award at a ceremony - the "Turtle Club Award" and my very own special hard hat to keep - I still have it!

I was never reprimanded nor talked to in any way about flipping the firetruck.

The things we do as kids! Amazing any of us make it past 19yo!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-21-04 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-21-04, 08:41 AM
denisegoldberg

Bikes: Peter Mooney (touring), Bike Friday Pocket Rocket (road), Bike Friday Air Glide (touring)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't believe that I would have survived my crash during my bicycle commute to work back in May (2004) if I hadn't been wearing my helmet. I had a skull fracture and a brain injury (plus other odd assorted injuries) even with my helmet cushioning my head-first impact with the nonmoving pavement.
Old 11-21-04, 11:39 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TysonB
Yuck!!! Unca, hope you're fully recovered now. I always feel these bicycle helmets are flimsy and don't offer enough rear lower head coverage compared to the Bell full face I wear on by CB-1100-F Honda road bike. Sounds like yours did the job, though. The famous 1970's era University of Southern California "Hurt" study of motorcycle accidents showed that even a $5.00 helmet did wonders toward saving your life compared to none at all.

Tyson
I have found,to the detriment of my wallet, that Cycle helmets work on 3 occasions in the last 4 years. Latest one only a couple of weeks ago, and that received a big chunk out of it when I came off on a brick strewn path. the other two had received grazes in them that would have caused a little bit of pain if I had not been wearing them.

A friend of mine had a big off about 7 years ago and required stitches to his cheek, 64 of them to be precise. He had a straight over the top of the bars, up in the air and land on his face. When he got to the hospital, they stitched him up and sent him for X-rays. They had 4 attempts to find a fractured skull, as he did not arrive at the hospital with a helmet. They then gave him a 5 minute lecture on how much damage can be done by idiots like him who do not wear a helmet. Eventually he manage a get a word in and pointed out that the reason he did come into hospital with his helmet, was that it was littered all over the local hills where he had his accident. It may have shattered on impact, but it definitely saved more serious injuries.That helmet is still doing the rounds of local schools to show what damage can be done to a helmet. Just imagine what his skull would have been like if he hadn't been wearing it.
Old 11-21-04, 08:26 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacy
I started riding when I was a kd - long before anyone thought of wearing a helmet . Then when I returned to cycling I really din't think there was much reason to wear one now.

Then my kids started bugging me to wear a helmet
And my friends started bugging me to wear a helmet.
So I figured it was time to just do it

Aaaaahhhhh, a sign that you did an excellent job of raising your children is that they are smarter than you !!!!
Old 11-21-04, 08:28 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
[QUOTE=stapfam]I have found,to the detriment of my wallet, that Cycle helmets work on 3 occasions in the last 4 years. Latest one only a couple of weeks ago, and that received a big chunk out of it when I came off on a brick strewn path. the other two had received grazes in them that would have caused a little bit of pain if I had not been wearing them.

QUOTE]

I've haven't yet had to find out that the price of the nicest helmet is so much less than the bill for the hospital treatment, and I hope nobody here has to either.
Old 11-22-04, 10:31 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
I won't ride without my helmet since the day I landed on my helmeted head and heard the sound of the helmet sliding across the pavement.

I'd have gotten up and back on the bike, except the wheel got bent.
Old 11-22-04, 12:00 PM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only time I spend on by bike without a helmet is on the trainer. Also a habitual seat belt user when driving or riding in a vehicle..
Old 11-23-04, 05:36 AM
greywolf
aka old dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I was a keen cyclist as a teen in the UK we never wore helmets ,wer'nt even thought of then ,only the leather hairnet type mainly for the track fraternity,but since I took up the obsesion again here in NZ I've worn a helmet because its the law to wear one here BUT when I came out of hostpital after my hip breaking crash I took a look at the helmet I was wearing & the form moulded outer shell was badly gouged & the EPS inner was compressed & split right through verticaly about 2.5 inches above my left temple ,if I had'nt been wearing it I would, Im sure have been more seriously injured, maybe permently impaired ,as it was I had a slight concusion . So now I wear a helmet 'cos I want to not just because I have to.But of course its a personal thing if its not mandetory were you live
PS I have the damaged helmet hanging up in my bike shed as well to remind me to put one on even if Im just going on a short test ride !!
Old 11-23-04, 01:57 PM
jimshapiro
Jim Shapiro

Bikes: Bianchi Imola (road), Bianchi Axis (general), Centurion Elite RS (fixed gear), Centurion Elite GS (lunch rides at work), Miyata (work in progress), Trek 7000 (mountain biking)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You've got to be kidding!. Always! I was bicycling over Vail pass with my wife several years ago and she slid on a wet bridge trying to avoid a bicycle that someone had laid down across the path. She flew off her bike and landed on her shoulder and head, breaking her collarbone in the process and splitting her helmet. Other than the collarbone, she was uninjured. Need I say more?

Jim Shapiro
Old 11-27-04, 11:57 AM
slide
Riding a bitsa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a friend who I ride with sometimes. I never wear a helmet on a bicycle and he always does. He recently had to have a hip replaced. He will need a new knee soon too. That has taught me a lesson.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.