Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Giant Propel Advanced | First ride

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-14, 10:36 AM
ColtJ

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

Got a chance to ride a Giant Propel Advanced for the first time this morning.

For the past year i've been riding a Giant TCR and really like it but i've been drooling over the Propel for some time.

Only rode ~30 miles this morning but thought I would share my first impressions for those that may be interested.

Its pretty windy and flat in Miami and I noticed the "Aero" properties immediately. Riding over 20 mph felt easier almost, just took less effort. Compared to my TCR it also carries speed better, riding along feels smoother.

I was surprised to find it quite comfortable. Looking forward to getting some more miles in, will post more over the next few days.

Not sure how many other members are into cars but it feels like driving a big turbo supra (insert favorite high horsepower big turbo make and model).

** doubt this info is useful to anyone but here is the strava activity from this morning. link: https://www.strava.com/activities/mia...w7ND0xNTMzMDUz

Pic of TCR:

Pictures of Propel:

Sorry for edits but recently learned a new trick in photoshop.
Old 02-12-14, 11:13 AM
zx9rmal

Bikes: '92 Merlin Extralight, '19 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Nice TCR! I recently got a Propel Advanced 2 and love the bike. I agree with your observations. You gonna pull the trigger? What shop gave you the test ride, or is it a buddy's bike?
Old 02-12-14, 12:25 PM
hifidelity

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale CAAD 10

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColtJ
Its pretty windy and flat in Miami and I noticed the "Aero" properties immediately. Riding over 20 mph felt easier almost, just took less effort.
I'm wondering how much of this was psychological.
Old 02-12-14, 12:48 PM
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht

Bikes: Russian Vodka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hifidelity
99.5%
Old 02-12-14, 12:51 PM
ColtJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zx9rmal
Nice TCR! I recently got a Propel Advanced 2 and love the bike. I agree with your observations. You gonna pull the trigger? What shop gave you the test ride, or is it a buddy's bike?
Thanks. I got them both from Cycle World on Bird in Miami.

Nice, how are you liking it?

Was planning on getting rid of the TCR later on; although, its too early to tell which i prefer, gonna ride it remainder of week and through the weekend. Im sure i'll have an idea by then.

Maybe some, maybe none, dunno. Just my opinion after one ride. Ill be happy to share more thoughts (opinions) after i put some more miles on it if you're interested.
Old 02-12-14, 01:37 PM
zx9rmal

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks. I got them both from Cycle World on Bird in Miami.

Nice, how are you liking it?

Was planning on getting rid of the TCR later on; although, its too early to tell which i prefer, gonna ride it remainder of week and through the weekend. Im sure i'll have an idea by then.

Maybe some, maybe none, dunno. Just my opinion after one ride. Ill be happy to share more thoughts (opinions) after i put some more miles on it if you're interested.
So you bought it? I love mine. After riding it for a while and doing a lot of reading, I've come to agree with many that the aero thing is much over hyped for the bottom 95% of riders. That being said, it would not have changed my decision because it was lust at first sight. But I will agree with you that going into a headwind, where the "air" speed (wind speed + bike speed) is 25-30 mph, less effort is needed or perceived. Either way, it's a plus.
Old 02-12-14, 01:38 PM
Yankeetowner

Bikes: Road Bikes: 2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1; 1989 Klein Quantum, 2013 Giant Defy 2, & Mountain Bike: 2013 Cannondale Six

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ovoleg
99.5%
I suspect there is a psychological component to anything new...particularly a great looking bike, and that seems to me to be a big part of the fun. Whether the aero effects are real or imagined, the Propel is still a great bike. I am enjoying mine, and, particularly with the Di2, I think Giant and Shimano make a great team.
Old 02-12-14, 02:07 PM
ColtJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zx9rmal
So you bought it? I love mine. After riding it for a while and doing a lot of reading, I've come to agree with many that the aero thing is much over hyped for the bottom 95% of riders. That being said, it would not have changed my decision because it was lust at first sight. But I will agree with you that going into a headwind, where the "air" speed (wind speed + bike speed) is 25-30 mph, less effort is needed or perceived. Either way, it's a plus.
Sorry, I was not clear. I haven't purchased it (yet), i was given an awesome opportunity to test ride it for two weeks, i just out fitted it with my wheels.

Originally Posted by Yankeetowner
I suspect there is a psychological component to anything new...particularly a great looking bike, and that seems to me to be a big part of the fun. Whether the aero effects are real or imagined, the Propel is still a great bike. I am enjoying mine, and, particularly with the Di2, I think Giant and Shimano make a great team.
Very true. The one pictured above is also Di2.
Old 02-12-14, 03:28 PM
zx9rmal

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
That's a hell of a test ride. Lucky you. Looks like they built that bike on a Propel Advanced frame because that color is only on the Advanced 3, which comes with 105, not Ultegra Di2. Very nice looking Propel. You need to buy it.
Old 02-12-14, 04:26 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

Got a chance to ride a Giant Propel Advanced for the first time this morning.

For the past year i've been riding a Giant TCR and really like it but i've been drooling over the Propel for some time.

Only rode ~30 miles this morning but thought I would share my first impressions for those that may be interested.

Its pretty windy and flat in Miami and I noticed the "Aero" properties immediately. Riding over 20 mph felt easier almost, just took less effort. Compared to my TCR it also carries speed better, riding along feels smoother.

I was surprised to find it quite comfortable. Looking forward to getting some more miles in, will post more over the next few days.

Not sure how many other members are into cars but it feels like driving a big turbo supra (insert favorite high horsepower big turbo make and model).

** doubt this info is useful to anyone but here is the strava activity from this morning. link: https://www.strava.com/activities/mia...w7ND0xNTMzMDUz

Pic of TCR:

Pictures of Propel:

Sorry for edits but recently learned a new trick in photoshop.
I've had one since Nov 13'. I agree it's very COMFORTABLE and best against the wind. The brakes are also very strong and aerodynamic I need to change the stock tyres like yours.
I did a 80 mile charity and i could barely feel the saddle. Nice color too. Congrats.
Old 02-12-14, 04:29 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe but that was also the first thing i noticed. Same road i ride/rode my cannodale supersix, felt f5, spec sworks, with this bike i can cruise 2+mphr for long.
Old 02-12-14, 04:32 PM
TexMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what kind of tyres are those?
Old 02-12-14, 04:36 PM
ColtJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TexMac
what kind of tyres are those?
Continental 4000 S II transparent
Old 02-13-14, 02:38 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
What part of Florida do you live in that everything is black and white?

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 02-13-14, 05:04 PM
ColtJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dstrong
What part of Florida do you live in that everything is black and white?
Haha, it was freezing that day, i think it was 65 degrees outside.
Old 02-13-14, 08:11 PM
fried bake

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
was just in miami this week. seems to have an insane cycling culture, with a big focus on aero and speed. for that type of riding, i say--YES--you should definitely buy the propel (as if you need another reason).
Old 02-14-14, 11:29 AM
ColtJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fried bake
was just in miami this week. seems to have an insane cycling culture, with a big focus on aero and speed. for that type of riding, i say--YES--you should definitely buy the propel (as if you need another reason).
Thanks. Hope you enjoyed it, some of the guys down here flat out fly.
Old 03-10-14, 01:56 PM
TexMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is this how you felt?

Giant Propel Advanced 3 review - BikeRadar
Old 03-10-14, 03:37 PM
ColtJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TexMac
Article talks more about components and design but i'd say these parts seem to correlate with what i felt.
...This results in a fast-handling bike that keeps things exciting without being twitchy or nervous...
...The ride quality is easily as good as the excellent TCR's, the frame and fork soak up enough high frequency vibrations to keep fatigue at bay. It can’t quite match the Defy for absolute comfort...
Giant has created much more than an aero race machine. It’s a brilliant all-rounder with a boundless enthusiasm for speed...
Old 03-13-14, 05:18 AM
dingo24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Propel Options

Hi,

I've test ridden a Propel Advanced 2 for a couple of weeks and am about to pull the trigger on either an advanced 2 or sl1. But I'm a little worried against hill performance and weight. The test one weighs in at 7.75kg. Stick with the propel or go with the tcr?
Old 03-13-14, 08:13 AM
SirHustlerEsq

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dingo24
Hi,

I've test ridden a Propel Advanced 2 for a couple of weeks and am about to pull the trigger on either an advanced 2 or sl1. But I'm a little worried against hill performance and weight. The test one weighs in at 7.75kg. Stick with the propel or go with the tcr?
How much weight can you stand to lose?
Old 03-13-14, 12:35 PM
ColtJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

Thats a hard question, they're different bikes with different characteristics. Have you ridden a TCR?
Old 03-13-14, 02:15 PM
dingo24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own a 2011 TCR SL... but I haven't ridden this years model.
Old 03-13-14, 03:36 PM
ColtJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own a 2011 TCR SL... but I haven't ridden this years model.

Well, i rode the Propel pictured above for ~70 miles and ended up buying a TCR Advanced SL 3.

Reason being is, I was really looking for a TCR ++ (if that makes sense) in the Propel over my 2013 TCR Composite 2.

I found the Propel to be an awesome bike but I personally knew after riding it that I wanted a better TCR not a Propel.

I think only you'll know what you really want.

They're different but I don't think you can go wrong with either.

My new TCR:
Old 03-14-14, 12:06 PM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thats a hard question, they're different bikes with different characteristics. Have you ridden a TCR?
I thought Giant discontinued the SL3 once the Propel came out, consolidating to just two models in that line. I have a 2011 TCR Advanced SL3 and love it, but I don't see that name marketed anymore. Am I wrong in regard to them discontinuing it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.