Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Toe Clips, Need Some Schooling

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Toe Clips, Need Some Schooling

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-20, 05:22 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Yes, I won't ride without them. For me, it's more of a safety issue. Without foot retention, my foot may slip off when I hit a bump I don't see. Then a crash is more probable. I don't like to crash. It feels really weird now to ride without them, like riding naked, but worse, far less secure. The bike feels more a part of me with clips. I'm in it, not just on it.
This many times over.
Likes For jimmuller:
Old 01-08-20, 08:07 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Do we still use toe straps and do we fall over from them? Well, yes and no. Yes we use them, and no we don't fall over because if we did we wouldn't use them!

I do what they said. Don't need them tight in most cases. I used to tighten them and make it a point to loosen them before coming to a stop. Then one time I got caught at a stoplight and didn't think to reach down to loosen one. My foot came out anyway. So I stopped worrying about it. Later I came to realize I didn't need them so tight anyway.

With almost any strap, they take a set to your foot shape once they have been exposed to enough road dirt and use.

When I got my first bike with clips and straps- I asked pretty much the same question- someone said something to the effect of "you'll fall once- then you'll get it." They were right. I fell- but I learned immediately from that fall.

As Jim said- don't bother tightening your straps. "Set 'em and forget 'em." Unless you're a racer and you feel the need to "suffer."

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 01-08-20, 08:14 PM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
I wasn’t into bikes when toe clips were a thing , after I decided I wanted ride as an adult , trying to ride toe clips was not an inspiring experience especially after my foot coming out of the cage once at a busy intersection.

as a result my daily bike has down hill platforms and my other bikes all have SPD . I tried a couple of other clipless systems and none in my opinion work as well as plain ol SPD
Old 01-08-20, 10:46 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
Excellent points have been brought up in this thread about all aspects of clips and straps so I will just add what works for me for a casual shoe. I use Japanese NJS Keirin pedals and straps. the MKS Custom Nuevo pedals are available with a wide cage plate that allows full support across the soft sole of Vans shoes as shown below. A word about fit, I wear a size 9 1/2 shoe and use a size "L" clip this places the ball of my foot directly over the pedal spindle with the toe of my shoe just making contact with the end of the clip.

The MKS Keirin straps are made with two layers of suede leather bonded to a central fabric core that does not stretch at all, very comfortable as there is a piece of leather that pads the buckle so it doesn't bite your foot in soft shoes. The straps are very thick and soft.

This is pro Keirin racing stuff and the cost is about $75.00 a pair used for these pedals through Ebay or https://www.njs-export.com/collections/pedals and almost always comes from Japan.

: Mike
Likes For Nemosengineer:
Old 01-08-20, 11:02 PM
aland2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Shoewise I had good results from what I believed were golf shoes from a charity shop. I did take the studs out first.
Later when I was looking for a replacement on ebay I realised they were actually probably bowling shoes. Same thing with a stiff toecap and compliant side but a stiff sole but half the price.
Old 01-08-20, 11:05 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
MKS toe clips, with Zefal leather straps, combined with indoor soccer shoes, works quite well, if your into the toe clip thing.
Tim
Old 01-09-20, 06:41 AM
bluesteak 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 52 Posts
Probably not the smartest to start out with toe clips when you are old with all the great stuff available now.

however, if you must, make sure your shoes will slide out easily. They should be narrow and relatively smooth on the top and bottom.

here is what I use on my vintage Raleigh.

Old 01-09-20, 08:38 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by garryg
Thanks for your input.
you can try them w/o the straps to start. I use mini clips w/o straps on my MTB & hybrid. basically the same thing, with part of the top metal piece cut off. just enough retention for me. (but my road bike uses cleated pedals & shoes, just for fun & the heck of it)

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-09-20 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-09-20, 09:18 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by bluesteak
Didn't your mother ever tell you not to put your shoes on the diningroom table?
Likes For jimmuller:
Old 01-09-20, 09:29 AM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
I've 52 now, and have been using clips and straps all my adult life. I honestly can't imagine not using them. They work so well and are so versatile. The shoes I use for cycling are the venerable Adidas Sambas. Sambas have been made for the last 70 years, and are still a great shoe today. They present a wonderful casual style, and are very comfortable to wear all day long, whether you're out shopping, exercising, working or bike commuting. Such a beautiful and classic aesthetic. Very appropriate for riding C&V. I've done tours in them, commuted in them, and ride casually in them.

The shape of the toe allows the Samba to sit deeply inside of the clip, and easily slide in and out of the clip without getting hung up. No annoying lugs to catch on anything either. The sole is not super-stiff, but plenty stiff enough for me to cycle comfortably all day long. And when I get off the bike, I can walk or run in complete comfort. I have average width feet and love my Sambas. My teenage daughter has wider feet, and loves her Sambas as well. Sambas come in a few different styles, with lots of color options. I personally prefer the Samba OG. It's not quite as stiff as the original Samba, but has a normal length tongue.

Likes For AlmostGreenGuy:
Old 01-09-20, 09:42 AM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 92 Posts
I have MKS Urban Platform pedals on all my bikes, and use smooth-soled shoes.
With a little practice it is easy to flip the pedal and enter the toe clips, all in one motion.

Straps are only tightened when I'm on a more aggressive ride, otherwise they are loose enough to get in and out without a second thought.

Last edited by 67tony; 01-09-20 at 09:52 AM.
Likes For 67tony:
Old 01-09-20, 09:48 AM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 49 Posts
I used them for the very first time just last week at the ripe old age of 51. Saw a used pair online for $5 so bought 'em and put them on my Trek 420, then took a 16 mile ride on a nice temperate day we had here. I thought they were great and quite easy to get out of (getting your feet in is another story...). You just have to remain cognizant of the fact your feet are strapped in when you come to a stop. And yes, I did fall once - I stopped to take a drink of water and only took out my right foot. As I stood there leaning on my right foot drinking my water, I unconsciously shifted my weight to the left, as one does, and since my left foot was still strapped in, I just kept going and hit the pavement hard on my left elbow. Other than that no problems. So my strictly amateur advice would be: wear low-profile shoes, nothing big and clunky, so your feet can come out quickly and easily; practice a few times getting each foot out fast before you start; always be mindful your feet are strapped in when riding; and always take BOTH feet out when stopped...
Old 01-09-20, 09:48 AM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
  • Don't tuck the loose end of the strap through the other side of the buckle. Let it stick out. That way they can be instantly loosened with one flick of a thumb on the buckle.
  • Forget using running shoes or any sort of shoe with a lugged sole. They make it hard to get in and out.
Excellent points!
Old 01-09-20, 10:20 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
Back when I did use toe clips, I had leather soled cycling shoes with leather cleats, as I recall they were TA. I used Lyotard pedals. After thousands of miles the shoes sort of fell apart, when I was in Germany. I then found a pair of shoes with a molded hard rubber soe that had groves for the pedal. They worked well, but as I mentioned above, I've switched to platforms.
Old 01-09-20, 11:06 AM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Riders had been using clips and straps for almost 100 years without any major issue. Like everything , there is a learning curve that once you get over it its all a non issue. I rode with straps for many many years and resisted the LOOK pedal change for as long as I could. I now use both systems without a problem.

There are alot of suggestions here, but the bottom line is you will need to use them to get Used to them. Get a set of clips in your size, get a good set of leather straps, preferably with a nylon core (if you can find them) as you want them to retain a circular shape for easy in/out. Initially try your shoes without cleats, but add them later when youre comfortable. The cleats will keep your foot more secure and prevent any unnecessary foot movement. If your a casual rider a pair of touring shoes without cleats will work just fine.

My Avatar photo has me using clips and straps, and that was 1989. They work just fine, the hard part is finding a good pair of shoes that will fit ,they are getting scarce nowadays. Give them a try you wont be dissapointed..
Likes For Manny66:
Old 01-09-20, 01:22 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I use toe-clips and straps on most of my bicycles.

Two hints that I give to people who use toe-clips and shoes without cleats.

#1 . Wrap the lower portion of the toe-clip (where the front of the shoe contacts it) with t ape or leather to protect your show from getting worn where the toe-clip contacts it. That wear occurs with metal toe-clips more than with plastic or resin ones.

#2 . If your're wearing shoes with straps-closures; be VERY sure that your toe-clip strap does NOT get caught between those straps on the shoes as t he straps on t he shoes can prevent a quick exit of the foot in an emergency.

I recently bought a pair of MTB shoes suitable for touring because the solesare fairly smooth and there is a bolt-on plate to cover the area where an MTB cleat would fasten. These shoes with the plate look a lot like old-school touring shoes used with toe-clips and straps.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 01-12-20, 07:01 PM
Iowa10Speed
Iowa10Speed

Bikes: 87 Schwinn Prologue, 85 Trek 720, 86 Panasonic Pro Touring, 75 Schwinn Voyageur II ("Voyareo"). projects: 98 Lemond Zurich, 81 Raleigh Competition GS, 50 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Retro toe clip article just posted here: 40 years ago January 1980 bicycling magazine See post #9 .
Old 01-12-20, 11:56 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
I use all types of clipless pedals and toe clips as well - road and mountain bike. But since the OP is interested in traditional toe clips, there are many choices. When I do use toe clips, my preference are cycling specific shoes and using cleats. Nylon cleats for aluminum or steel cage pedals and aluminum cleats only for steel cage pedals.

There's much discussion out there of resulting knee problems with cleats and toe clips due lack of float, though solutions exist. Its an area well worth looking into. I can respect those where toe clips is not the answer for vintage sake and where modern clipless make best sense.

I also have a pair of clever designed toe clip straps made in Italy and superior to the classic leather and grip clasp buckle. They were specific to the ATB market before clipless pedals became available. Very well made with robust nylon and steel buckle not unlike used in snow skiing boots. I acquired them in 1991 and expect them to last 50 years.

Using them is easy and convenient. They retain shape and don't flop down like leather, plus the simplicity by precise tension ratchet adjustment is done on the fly- and or one can leave that fave setting after you release. One finger flips the latch open or close.

I've recently seen them available on eBay but warn are rather expensive, more than a nice modern pair of clipless pedals!
Old 01-13-20, 01:57 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
I use all types of clipless pedals and toe clips as well - road and mountain bike. But since the OP is interested in traditional toe clips, there are many choices. When I do use toe clips, my preference are cycling specific shoes and using cleats. Nylon cleats for aluminum or steel cage pedals and aluminum cleats only for steel cage pedals.

There's much discussion out there of resulting knee problems with cleats and toe clips due lack of float, though solutions exist. Its an area well worth looking into. I can respect those where toe clips is not the answer for vintage sake and where modern clipless make best sense.

I also have a pair of clever designed toe clip straps made in Italy and superior to the classic leather and grip clasp buckle. They were specific to the ATB market before clipless pedals became available. Very well made with robust nylon and steel buckle not unlike used in snow skiing boots. I acquired them in 1991 and expect them to last 50 years.

Using them is easy and convenient. They retain shape and don't flop down like leather, plus the simplicity by precise tension ratchet adjustment is done on the fly- and or one can leave that fave setting after you release. One finger flips the latch open or close.

I've recently seen them available on eBay but warn are rather expensive, more than a nice modern pair of clipless pedals!
Back when toe-clips were common, a lot of bicyclists installed their cleats so that they could move a bit when first being used. then when they got off the bike they'd tighten them up. Another trick was to ride the bike without the cleats installed and then install them by lining up the slot in the cleat with the mark the rear of the pedal cage left on the sole of the shoe.

Cheers
Old 01-13-20, 02:01 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,454 Times in 3,192 Posts
Originally Posted by Miradaman
... always take BOTH feet out when stopped.
Or one.

Or, sometimes, if I have something to lean on, none. Just depends.
Old 01-13-20, 04:41 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I am now 66. I used toe clips since my first '10-speed' bike boom Peugeot UO-8 bike in college. Back then it was Lapize straps and Christophe toe clips. I used them with sneakers and then with Guerciotti cleated leather shoes.

When I got back into riding after retirement, I could not fit into my old shoes so I went to Shimano SPD clipless and shoes. On my second clipless ride an idiot blew a stop sign and I had to brake hard, but could not get the right foot out even with the pedal full loose. My wife said I was reaching down out of habit to loosen the strap while turning my foot. Old habits die hard! I used the clipless for about 3 years and finally decided to return to toe clips. My main reason was not that incident, but more to allow riding in any shoe, especially for quick testing after bike work, or an spur of the moment ride without all the equipment.

I bought MKS Sylvan Next touring pedals that are incredibly smooth with sealed bearings, MKS XL Deep toe clips, and MKS leather Keiran straps as they are a bit longer for wider feet and of great quality and hold their shape. I have wide feet or the MKS Urban Platform would have been my first choice as my old Lyotard platforms were great. The deep toe clips allow me to use my Shimano Shimano SH-GR5 Flat Pedal Shoes for longer rides, and also my Merrell hiking shoes or sneakers. My initial issue was actually finding lace up shoes, as Velcro straps and toeclip straps are an issue waiting to happen. The Shimano shoes are grippy, but allow easy removal, unless the straps are real tight. My only regret is I should have bought the Ezy-Superior version pedals so I could quickly change from clipped to clipless.

I liked the clipless setup I had, but this old school clips and straps with the light and smooth pedal just feels so much more ‘right’ for me. Plus the MKS setup is real old school Japanese quality and engineering.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 01-13-20, 07:18 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by bluesteak
Probably not the smartest to start out with toe clips when you are old with all the great stuff available now.

however, if you must, make sure your shoes will slide out easily. They should be narrow and relatively smooth on the top and bottom.

here is what I use on my vintage Raleigh.
I've got some of those Diadora shoes too, and they are excellent for rides where you will be in and out of the pedals a lot. A bit of a shame that no one is making them anymore.

Steve in Peoria
Old 01-13-20, 07:48 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
I’m convinced my husband keeps toe clips on his bike just so I don’t steal it. Something about me having four of my own bikes, so why do I always take his...? (He’s probably more peeved that I keep returning it with flat tires—which I fix for the next joyride...)
Old 01-13-20, 08:04 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts
I put these on last year- I dig them, but I think I dig the old SR SP-11 pedals a little more...

WIPedals2 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

WIPedals4 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

SP-11 King2 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

SP-11 King3 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 01-13-20, 08:19 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
One more note. I have simply never fallen off the bike due to a clip/strap issue or due to a clipless cleat. 400,000 miles zero falls. OP is over 60 years of age. Do not fall. Do not take a chance of falling. It is easy when you do it right. Easy and comfortable and a good experience. If you feel trapped just don't do it.
I fell over once, and only once about two weeks after I bought my first road bike with clips and straps. Adidas tennis shoes, Robert Hallet model. Was cinched in. Fell on the grass adjacent to s driveway. Only my pride scuffed.
when my son got a junior road bike- he slid his foot off the pedal- no clip or strap. I put them on- set up the straps loose. The positive foot placement even this way far outpaced the fear. He did have a Japanese copy of a Campagnolo pedal with the "tooth" to help flip the pedal around.
I feel safer riding With positive renention be it clips and straps or SPD's or "Look" type.
i will admit I have used straps for so long that it is second nature to release the strap on one foot prior to stopping. It is not that hard to learn. The increased efficiency and additional power with little risk are miles ahead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.