Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Wheel/hub question

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Wheel/hub question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-20, 03:14 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 6,476 Times in 3,205 Posts
Originally Posted by cadillacmike68
The CPSC ruined the aesthetics of Campy parts in 1978 and they are still doing so...
I'll take all your late '70s thru mid '80s Campy parts. Nuovo Record, Super Record, Triomphe, Victory, whatever. TIA.
Old 01-29-20, 03:58 PM
Roypercy

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by desconhecido
Except that the "Super Sport Line" is setup to build wheels with 32 h Rigida SX100 rims which are 19mm wide and they're going to put 23 mm tires on them. They don't have enough spokes for the Super Champion rims, the spokes they have are not long enough, the 23 mm tires are about the same width as the rim. The Wolber Super Champion Model 58 rims are just not a reasonable substitution for the specified rims.
That relates to my intitial question. The Wolbers struck me as pretty beefy for the Super Sport.

Should I want to replace the wheels, short of finding a vintage Rigida wheelset, what would be a good modern alternative that wouldn't blow the vintage aesthetics of the bike?
Old 01-29-20, 04:58 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by Roypercy
That relates to my intitial question. The Wolbers struck me as pretty beefy for the Super Sport.

Should I want to replace the wheels, short of finding a vintage Rigida wheelset, what would be a good modern alternative that wouldn't blow the vintage aesthetics of the bike?
Honestly, just about any wheel set would work. A Velocity A23 would be an excellent choice for a rim or a Velocity A23 wheel set with silver hubs would look right at home and give you a stronger wheel.

As a rim, the Rigida was okay but it was prone to cracking. That may have been why the bike has a different wheel set than what the catalog says. The current wheel set looks like it is period correct but it may have been swapped for a heavier rider.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-29-20, 05:23 PM
cadillacmike68
Campy NR / SR forever

Bikes: 1977-78 Raleigh Professional - bought new, 1987 Shogun 400 (for the lady)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
To what are you referring?
The moronic ring around the outer chainring when nobody riding a NR / SR bike would ever wear loose long pants. The words LOCKED and UNLOCKED crudely stamped onto the QR levers. Etc...

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I'll take all your late '70s thru mid '80s Campy parts. Nuovo Record, Super Record, Triomphe, Victory, whatever. TIA.
No thanks, YOU send them TO ME.

Originally Posted by Roypercy

Any decent hubset. Rigida, Mavic and Araya all still make regular clincher rims. Set some spokes and look at the late Sheldon Brown's article on wheelbuulding.
Old 01-29-20, 05:53 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
But, maybe the leading edge of the old style NR front derailleur caused a train derailment or something, who knows?
I don't know for sure, but I thought it was considered a laceration hazard. Like the teeth of the outer chainring.

Originally Posted by cadillacmike68
The moronic ring around the outer chainring when nobody riding a NR / SR bike would ever wear loose long pants...
Except maybe, a moron?... I hear tell there's a few around
I'll take the pre-CPSC designs every time. Let the morons take their own chances. What we need is more natural selection, not less.
Old 01-29-20, 07:00 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by old's'cool
I don't know for sure, but I thought it was considered a laceration hazard. Like the teeth of the outer chainring.

Except maybe, a moron?... I hear tell there's a few around
I'll take the pre-CPSC designs every time. Let the morons take their own chances. What we need is more natural selection, not less.
Yeah, I suspect someone got cut once. Don't see it as much of a realistic hazard, though accidents do happen. Putting the lip on the NR derailleur makes about as much sense to me as putting safety shields on pencil points although the safety risk of pencils is probaby significantly greater than with an old style NR FD. After all, you can't get a NR FD in your ear.

edit: The only bike I've ever owned with a CPSC NR FD is a 77 Moto Grand Record. It has a TA crank set (54 40) with a big Ben Hur safety shield around it. Never thought about it, probably CPSC had something to do with that. It's sort of cool, in a Rollerball sort of way.

Last edited by desconhecido; 01-29-20 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-29-20, 09:18 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
After all, you can't get a NR FD in your ear.
Welcome everyone, to this year's moron challenge

Last edited by old's'cool; 01-30-20 at 06:08 AM. Reason: syntax
Likes For old's'cool:
Old 02-14-20, 10:54 AM
Roypercy

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
OK, bumping this thread for a hot second. First of all, thanks to all who offered advice and suggestions. I did remove the wheels and adjust the cones, and was able to take out all the excessive play while keeping the hubs spinning smoothly. As for replacing the wheels I'll wait a while. I'm pushing 200 lbs and riding on the often-sketchy pavement of New York City, so having beefier rims than original is maybe not such a bad idea. As I thought, the hubs on closer examination carry no brand markings of any kind, so I'm assuming they're Sansin or Suzue or something.

I was surprised by how contentious this thread got, but I hope everyone enjoyed the back-and-forth.