Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling vanity

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling vanity

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-20, 01:22 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
True. They look pro, but they don't look good.

Someone, get a rope!
I hope you don't mean zip ties and a mount on top of a stem looks better.

Since they aren't allowed to see it, trackies win.........under the rear seat and invisible. Lol.
Old 04-07-20, 09:19 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,463 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
I'm so vain I wait until no one is looking before unfolding the piece of newspaper in my jersey pocket and stuffing it under the front of my jersey on long, cold descents.
I'm so vain I keep my hair long enough that plenty of gray peeks out of the back of my helmet. That way all the young hotshots who pass me will think "That guy's pretty fast for someone with one foot in the grave."
I'm so vain I actually wash my cycling shorts, something we tried to avoid at all costs back in the natural fiber age when chamois were made out of real leather that got stiffer and scratchier with each washing.
Now you know the real reason chamois cream was invented.
Brent
I'm so vain I wear good looking, weather appropriate clothing (jersey, with jacket if needed) instead of being seen pulling newspaper out of the trash and stuffing it down my chest.
Trash? Who mentioned trash?
I'm so vain I subscribe to the Wall Street Journal just so the EMT who discovers it when he cuts off my jersey will think I'm someone with enough money to actually care what happens on Wall Street.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 04-07-20, 11:20 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
True. They look pro, but they don't look good.
Dude! Anything that looks pro by definition looks good. I am pretty sure it is in The Rules.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 04-07-20, 11:49 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I use a carbon saddle, & get mild satisfaction when folks remark on how hard is looks.

Also like it when they notice that I went up a hill in the big ring- they usually don't notice that it's a 48/34.
Old 04-08-20, 04:35 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
Not vanity, but I love riding. It puts me in a good mood, the more the misery the better the mood. It baffles me seeing very serious types who look like they are not having any fun, the types who don’t respond or acknowledge a “ hello “. On long painful rides like the Garrett County Diabolical Double, 125 miles / 16,000’ I enjoy the hills. I try to cheer up others who are in serious pain!
I like this. I try to nod to people (not often do people do it first or even back, funnily enough I feel as the proportion of women who do it is quite a bit higher, but then again the sample sizes are vastly different).

Anyway, I was at the end of a hill, trying my best and I am sure it could be seen, and this guy comes down and notices it and loudly encourages me, and you know what, it did help. I really appreciated that.
Old 04-08-20, 06:39 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I just thought of something - I love bright colors, but I have (thus far) refrained from buying/wearing apparel that clashes with my bike(s). For instance, I like bright orange, but my bike is primarily red and gray, so no bright orange jersey or jacket for me.

Then again, I still have the Domane in the basement, waiting to be sold, and that's a blue/gray that would look good with orange... Now that would be some cycling vanity - buying/keeping a bike so that you could wear complementary colors that you fancy.
Old 04-08-20, 10:03 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I just thought of something - I love bright colors, but I have (thus far) refrained from buying/wearing apparel that clashes with my bike(s). For instance, I like bright orange, but my bike is primarily red and gray, so no bright orange jersey or jacket for me.

Then again, I still have the Domane in the basement, waiting to be sold, and that's a blue/gray that would look good with orange... Now that would be some cycling vanity - buying/keeping a bike so that you could wear complementary colors that you fancy.
Nothing wrong with that! As it turns out, i have a blue/red Lizard skin tape - it isnt a color i would normally get but was a race prize, so i cant swap it. And now i am thinking of building a bike around it. It helps that i want to get something other than red/black/white for my gravel bike. Makes sense and my wife should be able to see the irrefutable logic here, right?
Old 04-08-20, 11:41 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Makes sense and my wife should be able to see the irrefutable logic here, right?
I mean, if she can't, what are you two even doing being together?
Old 04-08-20, 11:48 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I mean, if she can't, what are you two even doing being together?
Lol, good point.
Old 04-14-20, 11:55 PM
bung

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5, Trek Fuel EX7, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
I roll up the sleeves of my jerseys and slide up the legs of my bibs so my tan lines are a bit higher. I also have to make sure my bib grippers are pushed up the same amount so my tan lines are even.
Old 04-15-20, 12:23 AM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
I'm so vain I spend tons of money on a bike when most people with a $200 huffy could beat me in a race.

I'm also so vain that when riding on Zwift, I pretend like my Cat D race podium finish is incredible, so my wife (who knows nothing about cycling) will think I'm amazing and give me a reward.
Old 04-15-20, 06:43 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
When I pull up next to the dude doing a trackstand at the lights, I do one too, but without standing up.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 04-15-20, 10:04 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
When I pull up next to the dude doing a trackstand at the lights, I do one too, but without standing up.
Oooh, that's a good one. I'm determined to learn how to do this now. That would be a killer move to pull during a group ride. :-)
Old 04-15-20, 11:29 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
At the end of a ride, I'll ride an extra couple miles around my hood to "round up" the distance to the nearest 5 miles. 40 just looks better than 38.3 on Strava.
Old 04-15-20, 11:45 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
At the end of a ride, I'll ride an extra couple miles around my hood to "round up" the distance to the nearest 5 miles. 40 just looks better than 38.3 on Strava.
I've done that so many times, though for me it's just rounding up to the nearest mile, not the nearest five miles. After too many instances where my Garmin reported X.0 miles, then Strava showed (X -1).9 miles, however, I'm getting jaded and more willing to let the fractional part slide.
Old 04-15-20, 11:59 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
A track sit.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-15-20, 02:27 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
^ This.
Old 04-16-20, 10:32 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
I am fat and look like a caramel apple on a stick when on a bike. My kit makes me look like a sausage with crimps on the wrong areas. Vanity laughs at me
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Also the reason for lard surrounding my personage
Originally Posted by SayWatt
haha, as a hybrid rider that has passed my share of road bikes I’ve meet this guy frequently.

mime is I’m not 100% in good shape yet and huff and puff some on the bike. I make an effort to breath quietly when Im coming up on someone.
I admit to no particular vanity. Nor modesty for that matter. So, if the common roadie has issue with my appearance, that's their problem. Having lost 140 or so pounds, I'm still a Clyde at 240... But, I enjoy having a nice clean bike at the beginning of a ride.

A long time ago, I rode so I could justify massive snacking. However, massive snacking continued when I quit riding. So I understand the caramel apple on a stick reference.

Passing people on odd bikes was a fun thing when I was younger. Passing weight weenie roadies on a knobby tired MTB was fun. Especially grabbing the next gear as I passed them, and stayed seated as they gave chase. Ohhhhh, to be that strong again...

Rules are made to be broken. If my legs are shaved, it is for surgery. Not vanity. Tan lines are for those too chicken for au natural sun bathing (or tanning booth)...