Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

Chrome Parts for 1960' Schwinn Cruisers?

Search
Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

Chrome Parts for 1960' Schwinn Cruisers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-20, 11:10 AM
Nikon Fan

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Chrome Parts for 1960's Schwinn Cruisers?

I'm looking to modify a couple of old, steel frame , 26" Schwinn cruisers (Chicago built, 1960's). I would like to leave the frames themselves unmodified but would like to change everything else (chrome multispoke rims, chrome seat post, custom handlebar, etc.)

Being new to this I have done some searches online but found very few places that sell the parts I would like. Any recommendations of places to order custom parts?

Also, I don't have any professional painting skills or equipment at this time to strip the old paint/rust off these frames, so I will have to rely on sending them to a professional paint shop (hopefully someone local). Any suggestion on how to pick a good shop, what to ask, etc? I only want them painted in one solid color, so I can have an artist friend of mine do some pinstriping on them after they are painted.
Old 04-14-20, 03:43 PM
North Coast Joe

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
You might look into powder coating the frames since you're thinking a paint shop anyway. Way more durable and usually very handsome.

Vendors on eBay handle lots of Chinese parts for cruisers and other older bikes. Some of the parts can be of decent quality, but others can be disappointing. I've rebuilt a few oldies, and one of my favorite eBay vendors is Abaxo in West Point, NY and Texas. They carry decent quality parts at great prices and are reliable about filling orders. Everything from the frame up there. Your best friend will be a decent set of calipers for measuring parts to assure fit.

There was lotsa chrome on those Chicago Schwinns, it's surprising how chrome polish will bring that stuff back to elegant. Replacing that with new Chinese chrome will not be an upgrade in quality...quite the opposite! Buff and wax the old chrome and it'll last WAY longer than new low quality new chrome.

Sounds like a fun project
Likes For North Coast Joe:
Old 04-16-20, 07:11 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Here's a decent source for some cruiser bike parts.

porkchopbmx.com