Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

I lost my bike in the woods.

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-20, 09:43 AM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 869 Times in 443 Posts

Well today was a fun filled adventure with some bike and hike, and then a bike search. I have over 100 miles of trails starting 800 yards from my front door. I'm now on my eight year playing out here and still haven't visited every trail. So today I wanted to explore one that I have ridden past many times, but never ventured it's way. It's was a trail at one point, and I could follow it for the most part. I ended going in a couple miles before I kind of lost it. Normally when I run across something like this I'll just take the bike with me and do a bike and hike. Or I'll just go no more than 50 or so yards around looking for any sign of a trail. If I do that I'll lean my bike up against a tree which makes it easier to spot. Today I didn't follow any of my steps and wandered off way to much to the point I couldn't find my bike. Lucky for me I know the woods very well and came out to a trail that I can take to get me back to where I first started my exploring. It was going to be a long hike but hey I've got time. Then out of nowhere I here a yell coming form the deep woods. Two hikers in the middle of nowhere find my bike and yell to see if the rider was around. I headed to there voices and we talked for a bit, had a laugh and it was back to the bike to continue my day.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 04-26-20, 04:26 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 435 Posts
Maybe the bike was tired, and hiding from you!?
Likes For freeranger:
Old 04-28-20, 06:43 AM
kasncart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That sounds strange
Likes For kasncart:
Old 04-28-20, 05:33 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Originally Posted by kasncart
That sounds strange
Plenty of strange things out in the deep woods of Winchendon.
Old 04-28-20, 05:35 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Originally Posted by freeranger
Maybe the bike was tired, and hiding from you!?
I guess I have been using her more than the others, and maybe a rest is a good thing (not)
Old 05-04-20, 04:57 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
observing objectively from the comfort of my couch, I’m reminded of a cpl rules - stay on the trail & don’t split up the party - seems like common sense but funny how real life conditions can temp any of us. you never panicked & had a plan, which was good. but good thing you didn’t incur an injury, alone & off the trail

aside from that, that was pretty funny

just came across this from a letter from my Dad:

"Be brave enough to live creatively. The creative is the place where no one else has ever been. You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. You cannot get there by bus, only by hard work, risking and by not quite knowing what you are doing. What you will discover will be wonderful: Yourself.” ― Alan Alda

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-04-20 at 05:42 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-04-20, 05:45 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Once I came out to the Transfer Station trail I knew how I would track down where I lost it. But the hikers in the middle of nowhere shorten my back tracking. Ya I didn't follow any of my usual rules when I search out lost trails. But it's all good, and I never worry about getting injured deep in the woods of Winchentucky.
Old 05-04-20, 05:46 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
deep in the woods of Winchentucky.
no headless horsemen?
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-04-20, 07:14 PM
MadKaw

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Course, 1993 Trek 8000, 2016 Diamondback Haanjo Comp, 2018 Marin B-17, 2018 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I didn't know bikes did social distancing.
Likes For MadKaw:
Old 05-15-20, 09:07 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
Well today was a fun filled adventure with some bike and hike, and then a bike search. I have over 100 miles of trails starting 800 yards from my front door. I'm now on my eight year playing out here and still haven't visited every trail. So today I wanted to explore one that I have ridden past many times, but never ventured it's way. It's was a trail at one point, and I could follow it for the most part. I ended going in a couple miles before I kind of lost it. Normally when I run across something like this I'll just take the bike with me and do a bike and hike. Or I'll just go no more than 50 or so yards around looking for any sign of a trail. If I do that I'll lean my bike up against a tree which makes it easier to spot. Today I didn't follow any of my steps and wandered off way to much to the point I couldn't find my bike. Lucky for me I know the woods very well and came out to a trail that I can take to get me back to where I first started my exploring. It was going to be a long hike but hey I've got time. Then out of nowhere I here a yell coming form the deep woods. Two hikers in the middle of nowhere find my bike and yell to see if the rider was around. I headed to there voices and we talked for a bit, had a laugh and it was back to the bike to continue my day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvhRiyuqtCA
Oh man, reminds of the day I was in the Maine woods hunting deer. I stop to hunt a trail hoping a deer would cross. It happened. I shot a spike and he ran about 60 yards and dropped. Gave it some time before I searched for him. A voice from 60 feet up a tree scared the daylights out of me. I thought I was all alone. NOT..... He says he's over here. Man that was some kinda freaky right there. Worked out though.... He offered to go get his ATV so we dragged it out with rope and I sat on the back and got a ride. Bout a half mile in, we were. I.ve been lost in the Maine woods a couple times. Scarey stuff when all the trees look the same. I HAD NEVER SEEN A HUNTER SO HIGH UP A TREE.!!!! He said.... up here. My word. He was... Up There.!!! Glad you found your bike. You had a great attitude about it.
Likes For BirdsBikeBinocs:
Old 05-16-20, 06:42 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

[QUOTE=BirdsBikeBinocs;21477698] Scarey stuff when all the trees look the same.

I broke all my rules when searching out trails on this one and hopefully will not do that again. You are correct the tree's just seems to look the same, and easy to loose your sense of direction.