Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Endurance vs Climbing Bikes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-20, 06:29 AM
Ajaxab

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I picked up a Trek Domane a few years ago and have really enjoyed it. I'm considering picking up another bike and wondered about the point at which someone should be looking into a different style of bike, especially with respect to climbing. Where I ride in the Texas Hill Country, I generally cover roughly 500-1000 feet of elevation each hour. It's certainly not the mountains by any stretch, but I've wondered if the next bike should be something like an Emonda. Obviously, there are a lot of other variables in play, but at least with the style of bike, is there any general wisdom on when a lighter machine becomes better?
Old 06-12-20, 06:36 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajaxab
I picked up a Trek Domane a few years ago and have really enjoyed it. I'm considering picking up another bike and wondered about the point at which someone should be looking into a different style of bike, especially with respect to climbing. Where I ride in the Texas Hill Country, I generally cover roughly 500-1000 feet of elevation each hour. It's certainly not the mountains by any stretch, but I've wondered if the next bike should be something like an Emonda. Obviously, there are a lot of other variables in play, but at least with the style of bike, is there any general wisdom on when a lighter machine becomes better?
Buying a Emonda when you have a Domane is foolish. Get something different like a gravel bike.

I
Likes For GlennR:
Old 06-12-20, 06:44 AM
Ajaxab

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good thought! Unfortunately, I don't have easy access to a place where gravel is practical for me. Road is pretty much the only option, so my choices are more limited there.
Old 06-12-20, 06:48 AM
jordanair45
Banned.

Bikes: 16' SS Hi-Mod, 15' CAAD12

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
No disrespect but that’s hardly any climbing.

I would go Madone all the way !

The domane is an excellent bike. Madone is a good total package for the roads out in Texas. Emonda SLR is a light climbing bike but before you lose lbs off the bike , make sure the ride lost all the necessary lbs first
Old 06-12-20, 10:02 AM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2021 S-Works Aethos (Roval Alpinist CLX II), 2024 Topstone Lab71 (Terra CLX II), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2021 S-Works Epic

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by jordanair45

The domane is an excellent bike. Madone is a good total package for the roads out in Texas. Emonda SLR is a light climbing bike but before you lose lbs off the bike , make sure the ride lost all the necessary lbs first
Not that much climbing? 1,000 feet per hour isn’t crazy steep but I’d say it’s a fair amount of climbing. Of course, it depends how fast you go!

Around here, you get about 100 feet of climbing per mile if you stick to the hills. During our mountain biking practices, that could get up to 200 feet per mile on trails.

Anyway, it’s enough climbing that it would be fun to have a climbing bike. At least in my opinion. I have a 14.5 lb Canyon (with disc brakes) and it’s a ton of fun in the hills. Really light weight wheels will make the biggest difference in the feel of the bike when climbing, in my experience.
Old 06-12-20, 10:41 AM
hrdknox1

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
The difference in weight between the Domane and the Emonda are negligible. I don't think that you'll be able to feel you are climbing any easier on the Emonda than on the Domane. For a second bike I would recommend going with a different brand, something that has a slightly different geometry. It will bring more variety and fun to your cycling, and may prove which bike is faster.

Last edited by hrdknox1; 06-12-20 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-12-20, 11:22 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Buying a Emonda when you have a Domane is foolish. Get something different like a gravel bike.
A Domane is closer to a gravel bike than it is to an Emonda.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-12-20, 11:44 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
OK Texas has Hills out west we have mountains..
Old 06-12-20, 12:01 PM
Ajaxab

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jordanair45

Nah, no disrespect taken at all! This is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. If the elevation I'm working with really isn't that much climbing, then there's no need to consider something that isn't a whole lot lighter. It's helpful to hear this reply to help cut through the marketing-speak!

I've also thought about the Madone, but haven't ever ridden a bike with that kind of geometry. It might be worth a look.

I figure I'm 5 lbs or so from getting rid of the necessary weight, so I'm feeling good about that!
Old 06-12-20, 01:11 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 183 Posts
I picked up a Trek Domane a few years ago and have really enjoyed it.
What year and model is your Domane? I had a 2014 Domane 5.2 with Aeolus 5 carbon clinchers and a few other carbon parts and quite frankly, there was no need for another bike as it was light and comfortable. Maybe not Emonda light, but close enough considering I don't live in the mountains either... just hills.
Old 06-12-20, 01:27 PM
Jack Tone 

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
According to Trek, the Domane Sl6 weighs 20lbs. and the Emonda Sl6 weighs 18. That seems like a significant difference to me. Besides, I'm a firm believer in N+1.
Likes For Jack Tone:
Old 06-12-20, 01:28 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Nah, no disrespect taken at all! This is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. If the elevation I'm working with really isn't that much climbing, then there's no need to consider something that isn't a whole lot lighter. It's helpful to hear this reply to help cut through the marketing-speak!

I've also thought about the Madone, but haven't ever ridden a bike with that kind of geometry. It might be worth a look.

I figure I'm 5 lbs or so from getting rid of the necessary weight, so I'm feeling good about that!
If you are on the bike for 8 hours and climb 8000 feet, that's a lot of climbing. Usually people on the forum compare by feet gained per mile (average). Like a 10,000 foot century is a lot of climbing for most of us, or 100 feet per mile.
Old 06-12-20, 01:31 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by WhyFi
A Domane is closer to a gravel bike than it is to an Emonda.
Which is why I have a Cannondale SuperX to go with my Edmonda.
Old 06-12-20, 02:25 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Which is why I have a Cannondale SuperX to go with my Edmonda.
Way to save face.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-12-20, 02:52 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Way to save face.
Not sure what your point is, but OK.
Old 06-12-20, 03:02 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
No matter how steep the hill, you will never notice a difference of a few pounds between two bikes. I don't notice the difference between two bikes that are almost 10lbs apart.

If you wanna N+1, go for it. No one really needs an excuse to buy another bike. But it seems odd to buy another Trek that is overwhelmingly similar to the Trek you already have.
Old 06-12-20, 03:19 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
No matter how steep the hill, you will never notice a difference of a few pounds between two bikes. I don't notice the difference between two bikes that are almost 10lbs apart.

If you wanna N+1, go for it. No one really needs an excuse to buy another bike. But it seems odd to buy another Trek that is overwhelmingly similar to the Trek you already have.
You can definitely feel the difference climbing with a lighter bike. Especially wheels and out of the saddle.
I am not saying they will be noticeably faster, just that it will feel different.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 06-12-20, 03:27 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Ten pounds takes about 8% more effort to get to the top of the hill at the same speed. But if I don't worry about the speed, it's exactly the same.

Heavy wheels can feel significantly different compared to light ones. But a 6lb frame doesn't not feel appreciably different from a 2.2lb frame-- once it has a 200lb meatsack suspended over it. IME.
Old 06-12-20, 05:06 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
Get something like a Giant Defy or Bianchi Infinito. I have the Domane 6.2, a super bike and a real comfortable road killer. But in the mtns. of VA, the stiff frame and light weight of the Giant are a real benefit. I ride it exclusively there.

The Bianchi is arriving next week, and I suspect that will be in between in terms of its riding characteristics.

FL is flat, as you can surmise, but VA is really mountainous. I do about 2,000 feet every ride, and some of the grades are insane!
Old 06-12-20, 05:32 PM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
I am fortunate to have both a Domane and an Emonda. Both have superlight wheels. The Emonda is snappier on short sharp climbs and a wee bit quicker. Slogging up a mountain pass, the 2.5 pounds I give up with the Domane makes virtually no difference on the clock or in my perception of effort. With the slight aero on the new Domane frame, it is marginally faster on flatter rides and significantly faster on rougher roads.

With approved clearance up to a 38s - I am actually running 40s on a second wheel set - Glenn is right: the Domane chews up gravel like it was made for it. Having the option is cool. When I put on the aero carbon wheels with 28s, it is a super fun and smooth road machine. I'm thinking the Emonda is going to see less and less action as time goes on, not because it is lacking at all, but because the latest generation Domane is so good and so versatile.
Old 06-12-20, 08:15 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
OK Texas has Hills out west we have mountains..
That mountain assploded!
Old 06-12-20, 11:02 PM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2021 S-Works Aethos (Roval Alpinist CLX II), 2024 Topstone Lab71 (Terra CLX II), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2021 S-Works Epic

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 34 Posts
For what it’s worth, I really enjoy my Canyon Ultimate EVO for climbing. The DT Swiss PRC 1100 wheels are very light (1280 grams or so).
Old 06-13-20, 12:41 AM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
The Domane geometry and whole reason for being is greater comfort vs Emonda and Madone. In terms of speed, it is relatively fine margins in general use in my experience of similar bike comparisons. The Emonda, like my Wilier Zero.6, will accelerate a bit quicker and pushing for every second, will be faster on steeper gradients, say 10% average, thanks to its lighter weight - the difference however depends upon how much value you place in the time advantage the lighter bike can help you achieve. It depends upon how you ride, the more leisurely you ride, the less you would notice any real difference. Chasing KOM's and/or racing? Emonda,

The Madone is my personal preference for a stablemate to a climbing bike and is the one I have made because speed is my goal and while I live in a very hilly area, it is not mountainous and a Madone will serve me very well when not doing climbing days.

If you aren't all that interested in marginal faster times at all and only after the occasional bit of fun on a club ride, the Domane is perfectly suited I think. If you do want some more speed but not living in a steep gradient zone, then Madone in my opinion as a +1 to the Domane but it is a far more aggressive riding position, so test ride first to see if you get along with it.
Old 06-13-20, 03:50 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling

If you aren't all that interested in marginal faster times at all and only after the occasional bit of fun on a club ride, the Domane is perfectly suited I think. If you do want some more speed but not living in a steep gradient zone, then Madone in my opinion as a +1 to the Domane but it is a far more aggressive riding position, so test ride first to see if you get along with it.
Why is the Madone riding position far more aggressive?
I have had Domane, Emonda, and Madone all with H2 geometry and I set them all up with the same riding position.
I would still have the same position with H1.5, just need a few spacers under the stem.
Old 06-13-20, 04:07 AM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Why is the Madone riding position far more aggressive?
I have had Domane, Emonda, and Madone all with H2 geometry and I set them all up with the same riding position.
I would still have the same position with H1.5, just need a few spacers under the stem.
The Pro Endurance Domane in H1.5 is a lot closer, granted, but having ridden the standard 'H3' Domane, Emonda and Madone on the same day at my LBS Trek Dealer, I found the Madone to more aggressive and would find the Domane better suited to longer rides where endurance was preferable over speed since it was definitely a more relaxed position. This is my experience, feel free to have a different one.

To add, this review I found seems to agree with my experience:
https://cyclingtips.com/2019/07/2020...t-ride-review/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.