Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Would You Trust Lower Price Bibs - Amazon?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-20, 02:04 PM
CanadianBiker32

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Trust The lower price brands on Amazing

Shopping for Bib SHorts and came across those lower price ones on Amazon

Inbike

here is the link

https://www.amazon.ca/INBIKE-Cycling...8-7&th=1&psc=1

what are your thoughts on this one?
maybe a waste of money, might be "dollar store " quality?
or good enough for a little while? thoughts?

Last edited by cb400bill; 07-24-20 at 03:57 AM.
Old 07-23-20, 02:49 PM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
I would not waste the time and money to try them out. This YouTube video from Trace Velo would be fairly representative.

Old 07-23-20, 03:35 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Budget price is relative, I bought a pair of these on Amazon a few months back-

https://www.amazon.ca/GORE-Breathabl...539855&sr=8-10

For me in the states, the price was great ($65 or thereabouts) compared to the custom stuff I have to buy for my team which can run $140+ per pair. They look great, they're durable, they fit well, and they have a great chamois so I can only recommend them. That said, they're about double the price in Canadian $$$ compared to what you're looking at.

I've also heard from many people who've used these that they're excellent value and quite durable/comfy-

https://www.theblackbibs.com/shop/the-black-bibs-plus
Old 07-23-20, 03:47 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Budget price is relative, I bought a pair of these on Amazon a few months back-

https://www.amazon.ca/GORE-Breathabl...539855&sr=8-10

For me in the states, the price was great ($65 or thereabouts) compared to the custom stuff I have to buy for my team which can run $140+ per pair. They look great, they're durable, they fit well, and they have a great chamois so I can only recommend them. That said, they're about double the price in Canadian $$$ compared to what you're looking at.

I've also heard from many people who've used these that they're excellent value and quite durable/comfy-

https://www.theblackbibs.com/shop/the-black-bibs-plus
Most of my cycling clothing comes from Gore. Great quality, good pricing and more reasonable sizing.
Old 07-23-20, 04:32 PM
bung

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5, Trek Fuel EX7, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
I mostly wear $40 Santic bibs from Amazon. I’ve been wearing them for a few years and have had no issues.
Old 07-23-20, 05:27 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I’m probably going to try out some Rapha Core bibs. At $115 (regular price), they are considerably lower priced than the Castelli bibs I usually buy.
Old 07-23-20, 08:14 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by oris
I would not waste the time and money to try them out. This YouTube video from Trace Velo would be fairly representative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQC-3ztlP5o&t=480s
Bought a pair of Didoo bibs a week ago after watching that vid. Haven't shown up yet so I can't comment on their quallity but I figure it was worth a shot. If nothing else they will become my short ride bibs.
Old 07-23-20, 11:35 PM
yamsyamsyams

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
No experience with that specific one, but I have purchased $10 AliExpress bib shorts 3 years ago. The pad was decent but the overall materials felt very thin. They ended up being trashed after 2 summers because the material was becoming see-through blood after probably 30 wears. At that price though not a terrible deal!!!
Old 07-24-20, 12:41 AM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I’m probably going to try out some Rapha Core bibs. At $115 (regular price), they are considerably lower priced than the Castelli bibs I usually buy.
don't do it. Rapha core sucks compared to Castelli. I have both. I bought the rapha kit first, otherwise I'd wear all Castelli.
Likes For Princess_Allez:
Old 07-24-20, 08:34 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
don't do it. Rapha core sucks compared to Castelli. I have both. I bought the rapha kit first, otherwise I'd wear all Castelli.
What model of Castelli shorts are you referring to?
Old 07-24-20, 09:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
I’m probably going to try out some Rapha Core bibs.
I have read that Rapha is divisive.
Old 07-24-20, 10:06 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have read that Rapha is divisive.
Yeah, the chamois does divide - it can get between the cheeks a bit when standing, but they are very comfy on the bike.
Old 07-24-20, 11:49 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yeah, the chamois does divide - it can get between the cheeks a bit when standing, but they are very comfy on the bike.
have you tried both Castelli Free Aero Race bibs and Rapha Core bibs? Which do you prefer? Cost isn’t relevant.
Old 07-24-20, 11:54 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
have you tried both Castelli Free Aero Race bibs and Rapha Core bibs?
Nope, I have not.
Old 07-24-20, 12:19 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I don't have any experience with those bibs, but my general advice is "don't cheap out on contact points."
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-24-20, 12:51 PM
cvrle1

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I looked at some of the cheaper Amazon bibs, and one issue that I found is that most of them are being shipped from China. It took 4 months for one package to arrive to me from there. Another item still didnt show up over 4 months after it was shipped. With shipping all messed up worldwide it may be december when these arrive haha. This is main reason I started looking elsewhere.
Old 07-24-20, 02:11 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
I've had bad experiences with bibs having gel pads. Too squishy, gel moving around led to saddle sores. Maybe they've improved in the past 15 years?
Old 07-25-20, 01:29 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I wear Przewalski shorts and Spotti bibs -- probably the same manufacturer using different marques. Same Dupont CoolMax pads, same utilitarian, functional quality. The shorts cost as little as $15, the bibs around $30. No complaints. (Przewalski and Spotti may have changed pad types/brands since I bought mine a year and two years ago. If so, I can't vouch for whatever pads they use now.)

Black Bibs are good too for around $40-$50. I wouldn't mind if they switched to the thicker Dupont CoolMax pads. After losing weight there's less of me between the saddle and bones, so now I appreciate thicker pads. When I was 25 lbs heavier a few years ago I preferred thinner pads.

A couple of days ago I rode 60 miles wearing baggie shorts over thinly padded underwear, either Pearl Izumi liners or AeroTech Pro shorts, I don't remember which. No problems, although it was a mostly casual ride with a few rest breaks. The old Selle San Marco saddle on that bike is so worn there's barely any padding, although it's one of those split-rear designs with a flexible plastic shell that's pretty comfy for long rides.

For some reason I'm pickier about jerseys than shorts/bibs.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-25-20, 02:14 AM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
What model of Castelli shorts are you referring to?
free aero race
Likes For Princess_Allez:
Old 07-25-20, 05:19 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I wear Przewalski shorts and Spotti bibs -- probably the same manufacturer using different marques. Same Dupont CoolMax pads, same utilitarian, functional quality. The shorts cost as little as $15, the bibs around $30. No complaints. (Przewalski and Spotti may have changed pad types/brands since I bought mine a year and two years ago. If so, I can't vouch for whatever pads they use now.)

Black Bibs are good too for around $40-$50. I wouldn't mind if they switched to the thicker Dupont CoolMax pads. After losing weight there's less of me between the saddle and bones, so now I appreciate thicker pads. When I was 25 lbs heavier a few years ago I preferred thinner pads.

A couple of days ago I rode 60 miles wearing baggie shorts over thinly padded underwear, either Pearl Izumi liners or AeroTech Pro shorts, I don't remember which. No problems, although it was a mostly casual ride with a few rest breaks. The old Selle San Marco saddle on that bike is so worn there's barely any padding, although it's one of those split-rear designs with a flexible plastic shell that's pretty comfy for long rides.

For some reason I'm pickier about jerseys than shorts/bibs.
I also have a pair and for the money they are excellent.
Old 07-25-20, 06:56 AM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I wear Przewalski shorts and Spotti bibs -- probably the same manufacturer using different marques. Same Dupont CoolMax pads, same utilitarian, functional quality. The shorts cost as little as $15, the bibs around $30s.
I've bought the przewalski bibs from amazon for my weekday commutes as I don’t have facilities to wash it after the morning’s ride (and neither a place to hang if I hand washed) so that I wouldn’t feel bad if it got totally trashed and is unusable after 6-12 months. While thick for my taste, the pad seems ok, but man their sizing is off this world! Let’s just say, I haven’t worn anything “Medium” the last decade!
Old 07-25-20, 07:23 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
I bought a Cerotipolar bib from Amazon last summer. Compared to my more expensive bibs; Sugoi, PI Pro, Rapha Core and a Campagnolo Magnesio, this Cerotipolar bib was a nice surprise. I'm 6ft/186 lbs and find the chamois comforting. It is somewhat dense but pliable and good enough for days where I want to ride 40-50 miles. Although the leg grippers isn't as strong or wide as my other bibs, overall, this is a great bargain considering these bibs cost less than $50.
Old 07-25-20, 08:41 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
For the price I've been buying shorts, not bibs, on Amazon. Some are really comfortable others are not. I bought two of one brand that were identical, except on one the waistband got so twisted up I can't wear them anymore and the other is fine and comfy. I haven't had any though that I just couldn't wear. It isn't as if all of the more pricey shorts I've bought have all been great either. I bought Performance branded ones once and they were horrible, PI is usually OK, Santini and Gore a little better. I don't have any Castelli, Giordana nor Rapha.