Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

So how easy or difficult is to repair a roadbike tire with those Co2 thingies?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-20, 07:23 AM
rbloem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I have yet to use a Co2 canister thing. Do you guys bring a bicycle pump along incase you mess up?? What's a good practice or technique for repairing a flat on a road bike? Thanks
Likes For rbloem:
Old 07-29-20, 07:48 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Pump? No, just the gas, and one or two spare tubes. The only time I had a problem was when I got two flats at once, and only had one spare tube. I was a half mile from home, so I did the walk of shame.
Old 07-29-20, 07:59 AM
onsay99

Bikes: 3 road steelys, 3 alu, 1 mtb, 1cx

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
For short trips close to home, e.g. <40km or so, use co2 since it is quick qnd easy.
For longer trips or bike tours, e.g. >100km or so, take co2 and a good frame pump
for security and peace of mind, and also to help your tour mates.
Likes For onsay99:
Old 07-29-20, 08:10 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
It's super easy. I'm such a dolt for holding out for so long. But I caution you...do a rehersal at home so that you know what you're doing, and what to expect when you do have to do it roadside during a ride. I carry at least two CO₂ cartridges, and a spare tube. I just finally got the courage to give CO₂ a try about 1-2 years ago...but I haven't got the cojones to ride without a frame pump yet. Although I did startle myself when I realized that on a bike I recently acquired that I never put a pump on it. But, I also haven't flatted on that bike yet.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 07-29-20, 08:27 AM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Practice it at home once or twice to get some comfort with it.
Yes you will spend a can or two of CO2 practicing but it could be very helpful.
You can also then check pressure with a gauge after a couple practice refits to get a sense of the pressure one can of CO2 gives you for your current tire / tube setup.

I never practiced using CO2 . . . and when I first tried using it roadside I emptied the can without sufficiently filling my tire, and had to call for a ride.
Likes For jimmyodonnell:
Old 07-29-20, 08:40 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyodonnell
... I never practiced using CO2 . . . and when I first tried using it roadside I emptied the can without sufficiently filling my tire, and had to call for a ride.
I did pretty much the same thing not knowing how to use them. The first time I used one was on a friends flat tire. Replaced the tube, put the filler head on the valve and screwed in the cartridge and nothing happened. Kept tightening the cartridge in case I didn't have it screwed all the way in and nothing happened. Removed it from the valve and loosened the cartridge and walla! Inexperience can be costly and often embarrassing. Lesson learned!

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Likes For John_V:
Old 07-29-20, 08:43 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
I ride without a pump when it's feasible that I could 'bail out' (wife or Uber SAG wagon). CO2 is more than adequate for most flats.

In my experience, the best CO2 inflators are tiny, and screw on to the valve stem, while also having a control mechanism for gas release. There are copious numbers of these on Amazon. When you have those, I can get to 85-90 PSI on a 700x23 from one 16g canister.

Where I ride (New Mexico), sun and heat can be a thing, so not having to 'work it' with the frame pump is much appreciated.
Likes For Danhedonia:
Old 07-29-20, 09:16 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by rbloem
I have yet to use a Co2 canister thing. Do you guys bring a bicycle pump along incase you mess up?? What's a good practice or technique for repairing a flat on a road bike? Thanks
They aren't hard to use but they are a single shot. Plan your flats accordingly. Whether you bring a pump depends on how far you want to walk. I only use them for times when I get a flat at night (thankfully a rare occurrence) or when I commute (again, a rare occurrence). If I'm back in the woods or touring, I never carry them.

Be aware that a CO2 filled tire will be flat in 12 to 24 hours. The CO2 dissolves through the rubber and the tire will need to be filled with air.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 07-29-20, 09:33 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Be aware that a CO2 filled tire will be flat in 12 to 24 hours. The CO2 dissolves through the rubber and the tire will need to be filled with air.
Interesting. I've never heard that before. I'm trying to think back on previous flats I've had and wondering how quickly they deflated after fixing, and if I tossed out tubes thinking they had holes in them.

I haven't carried a mini-pump in at least 10 years. My bag contains 2 CO2 cartridges along with a spare tube, a patch kit and a multi-tool. My backup plan is a phone call or Uber ride.
That said... if I rode lots of trails away from roads, or in areas with no cell coverage, I'd probably ride with a mini-pump. I've had a few mishaps with CO2 and there's always a possibility of multiple flats.
Old 07-29-20, 09:50 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
After reading some of these posts, I'm interested in knowing if those of you that carry multiple tubes and a mini or frame pump also carry a patch kit with you? And if so, which type of patches do you carry? I'm asking because the peel and stick patches I've used (multiple brands) don't seem to hold well unless I use a hair dryer to heat them after they're applied. The glued patches I've used leak if I don't let the glue dry completely. So what do you guys do if you have a third flat because in that situation, neither a C02 system or pump won't do you any good if you don't carry patches with you as well. I carry one spare tube, two cartridges and several peel and stick patches. Luckily I hardly ever get a flat on my Gatorskins but it's good to know what other people are doing.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-29-20, 09:56 AM
kbhenze
big Caboose

Bikes: Raliegh M80 Cannondale Synaps

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And watch holding the C02 with sweaty hands It freeze right to you och!!!!!!!!!
Likes For kbhenze:
Old 07-29-20, 10:22 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I carry one or two spare tubes and a patch kit.

I tried riding with only CO2 cartridges, but had mixed success such that I do not rely on them any more. More than once the gasket between the inflator and the cartridge froze and let most of the gas out before my tire was inflated. ANd if you refill a tire with CO2 in the morning and ride all day, you will likely need to top up the tire at some point because CO2 seeps out of/through butyl tubes much faster than plain ol' N2 based air.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 07-29-20, 10:26 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I was "belt and suspenders" for years, carrying both CO2 and a mini-pump, until I realized I was using that mini-pump at most 2 times a year-- it didn't come out of it's holder once in 2018. Now I just carry three 16g cartridges on each bike. If I go through that many, the day isn't worth saving, and I'll just get a ride home. Hasn't happened yet.

My advice is to get a good CO2 inflator, like a PDW Shiny/Tiny Object, and buy cheap, bulk CO2 carts (like Impeccable Culinary Objects.) Oh, and mentioned above, if you dump the whole cartridge into the tire in one shot, don't grip it too tightly-- it will freeze to your hand.
Old 07-29-20, 10:32 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Maybe I'm not that hip but I only carry a mini pump in my jersey. No CO2. I bought one that has the removable flex hose and advertised to give good pressure if you have the arm strength.

I also carry two little sticker patches, valve extender plastic tool, two tubes, two levers (I broke one once). I can do it with fingers versus levers if my hands aren't sweaty, but if sweaty I just use the levers.

I think my method came from just starting out riding. I did the pump thing not knowing about CO2. I came across a rider where both of their CO2 didn't go into the tire somehow. User error, but still. We used my pump and he was able to ride off. So, since then........I've always had my pump.

I could understand taking both pump and CO2. CO2 getting a nice fast full pressure refill. The pump for backup. I wouldn't personally only carry CO2. But, I'm clumsy. So I would be that guy at some point who failed at both CO2 cartridges.
Old 07-29-20, 10:37 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Don’t add air with a pump first to get it started. Too easy to add to much gas and rupture the tire if one does not practice.
Old 07-29-20, 10:40 AM
Danhedonia

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
The newer, screw-on-to-the-stem inflators solve the "CO2 didn't go in" problem.
Old 07-29-20, 10:44 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
[QUOTE=John_V;21613183 I'm interested in knowing if those of you that carry multiple tubes and a mini or frame pump also carry a patch kit with you? And if so, which type of patches do you carry? I'm asking because the peel and stick patches I've used (multiple brands) don't seem to hold well unless I use a hair dryer to heat them after they're applied. The glued patches I've used leak if I don't let the glue dry completely. So what do you guys do if you have a third flat because in that situation, neither a C02 system or pump won't do you any good if you don't carry patches with you as well. I carry one spare tube, two cartridges and several peel and stick patches. Luckily I hardly ever get a flat on my Gatorskins but it's good to know what other people are doing.[/QUOTE]

I carry a spare tube (depending on which bike I`m riding of course) a micro pump with dual head and a patch kit. Been lucky with zero flats over the last 3-4 yrs.
Whenever I use a patch and glue I would heat up the glue for a second (lighter) then stick it down.
May consider the C02 and head too....
Old 07-29-20, 11:00 AM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by rbloem
I refuse to leave the house without a mini-pump, because it takes up minimal room and is very light. The mini-pump also allows me to check that the tire is seated properly before fully inflating. With the CO2 only approach, you risk having the bead of the tire sitting on top of the new tube you just installed (especially if your tires are very tight & hard to mount on your rim). Some CO2 inflators have a method to control the gas flow, but mine does not. So my usual flat repair method involves correcting whatever punctured my tire, installing a new tube, re-seating the tire, using the mini-pump to check the seating is correct, and then finishing with the CO2 inflator.

There are some charts out there that will tell you how much pressure you can expect from various weight CO2 cartridges for various tire sizes. In my case, I like the option of adding 10-15psi of air in addition to the pressure supplied by the CO2. I'm sure a more tech-savvy BF user can post the charts here. Good luck!
Old 07-29-20, 11:09 AM
y2zipper

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
IMO using a frame pump is miserable.

I agree with all the recommendations for a CO2 inflator that has a control mechanism for the flow of air and is threaded so you screw it into the inflator head. That's exactly what I use and the pro tools ones that get sold on Amazon are pretty good.

I would recommend doing a rehearsal or 2 at home, and I would also advise that CO2 is only used for the purpose of getting home. On any ride where I use a CO2 canister to finish because I get a flat, the first thing that I do when I get home is I but all of the CO2 out of the tire that inflated with regular air again because CO2 is meant to sit in your bicycle tires like regular air is.

The total of what I take with me is two tubes to CO2 canisters and my inflator head in my inflator sleeve with tire levers and a multi-tool.
Old 07-29-20, 11:23 AM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
First time using CO2 is kind of finicky, plus there are different styles of inflators that have their own technique for releasing the CO2. I use the the ones with no moving parts to minimize any kind of user error. After several uses it becomes pretty easy. I have used CO2 exclusively for years with no problem. I do keep a mini pump and tube with my MTB tubeless.
Old 07-29-20, 11:24 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
I actually carry both a micro pump and CO2 cartridge/inflator head. Echoing a lot of posters, get one that you can control the flow. I like the Lezyne Trigger so you can regulate the amount of flow as you're reinflating. However this specific product fits onto presta valve only and I usually only take 1 CO2 cartridge.

Just like Boraxkid, I use the micro pump to inflate the tube a bit before installation and to seat the bead. The last thing you want to do is pinch the tube while reinflating and blowing it out.
Old 07-29-20, 11:33 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I take it most people on here are day riders and not multi-day tour riders.
Old 07-29-20, 11:48 AM
BNSF

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I take it most people on here are day riders and not multi-day tour riders.

For multi-days we keep the spare wheels, spare bikes and all the tools, etc in the support vehicle which follows us.

Don't we all have support vehicles?
Likes For BNSF:
Old 07-29-20, 11:48 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Last flat I had, I think I just patched it on the spot. I use the little Park Tool patch kits and have never had a problem after many patches.

I’ve just been carrying the cheap Zefal pumps that came as part of gear kits we got a few years ago for the kids so they would have bike lights and a cable lock.

I rather miss my old Silca pump with the Campy head. I don’t need it as often these days to fend off dogs, but it was much quicker to inflate a tire than a mini pump and still pretty light.

Otto
Old 07-29-20, 11:58 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Another belt and suspenders guy here: I will almost always bring a mini-pump AND CO2; spare tube AND patch kit. First flat gets a new tube and CO2, back on the road in 5. Second and subsequent flats get a patch and a pump. By that point, I'm probably already late, so I've either called my wife or boss or both.
Likes For caloso:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.