Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

wind and safety

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

wind and safety

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-20, 04:05 PM
dirtydozen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
wind and safety

Hey, i'm planing to do a 200km ride to go on holidays on friday.
I checked the windfinder website and local weather, both work very well in my area and there will be a very strong back wind, 17mph with 38mph spikes.
Im not really confortable to ride with lateral wind & cars overtaking, is there any concern to have regarding a stron back wind ?

thanks
Old 08-18-20, 04:16 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I have no problem with head wind and trail wind. Its the cross winds that can cause you to have the "grip of death" on the bars. My worst experience was coming down a 2 mile long mild decent when the residential house stopped and I passed a golf course. I was going about 25mph when a strong gust of wind from my left pushed me off the paved road and onto the dirt shoulder.... about 2 feet to the right.

I've also been blowen around by tractor trailers passing on narrow roads.

Odd that you're distance is in km and wind speed in mph.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-18-20, 04:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10415 Post(s)
Liked 11,876 Times in 6,083 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtydozen
Hey, i'm planing to do a 200km ride to go on holidays on friday.
I checked the windfinder website and local weather, both work very well in my area and there will be a very strong back wind, 17mph with 38mph spikes.
Im not really confortable to ride with lateral wind & cars overtaking, is there any concern to have regarding a stron back wind ?

thanks
1) Any turn puts you in a strong crosswind proportional o the angle of the turn. I find that even quartering winds can be a problem, if your bike is sensitive to crosswinds.
2) Are you planning to take the bus home?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-18-20, 04:25 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
A one-way 200k with a tail wind? Where do I sign up?
Old 08-18-20, 04:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10415 Post(s)
Liked 11,876 Times in 6,083 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I guess I could wear the jerseys I gave up because they flap too much. They'd work like sails.

One thing about riding with the wind - you go fast, but you get no cooling. I've found riding with the wind on hot sunny days is very warming.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-18-20, 04:34 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I have no problem with head wind and trail wind. Its the cross winds that can cause you to have the "grip of death" on the bars. My worst experience was coming down a 2 mile long mild decent when the residential house stopped and I passed a golf course. I was going about 25mph when a strong gust of wind from my left pushed me off the paved road and onto the dirt shoulder.... about 2 feet to the right.
Crosswinds and descents can be sketchy. I was blown off the road at 48mph and broke c1, c2, and c3 vertebrae.

Every time I descend at 40+mph, it's in the back of my mind
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 08-18-20, 04:42 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Crosswinds and descents can be sketchy. I was blown off the road at 48mph and broke c1, c2, and c3 vertebrae.

Every time I descend at 40+mph, it's in the back of my mind
How can it not... glad you recovered.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-18-20, 04:50 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
How can it not... glad you recovered.
Luckily I don't remember any of the crash. All I remember is being found by some motorists, and trying to get back on my bike.

They talked me out of that.
Old 08-18-20, 05:13 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
You need to decide about your comfort level in wind. It won't always be coming from where you think it is. Particularly when you go from tree lined road to openings for fields or even other roads and power lines.

If you are skittish now, then you need to decide if you need experience with those conditions on a shorter ride.
Old 08-18-20, 05:41 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
What kind of wheels are you riding? I'm guessing you might want to leave the deep dishes at home if possible.
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 08-19-20, 01:11 AM
dirtydozen

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
yes right? On paper seems really fun, but I'm scared it's the kind of fun that will end up in an hospital

Originally Posted by genejockey
1) Any turn puts you in a strong crosswind proportional o the angle of the turn. I find that even quartering winds can be a problem, if your bike is sensitive to crosswinds.
2) Are you planning to take the bus home?
Im going on holidays, i'll stay there 4/5 days and then figure out how to come back, either by car with my dad or by bike in 1 or 2 days

Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
What kind of wheels are you riding? I'm guessing you might want to leave the deep dishes at home if possible.
I have stock wheels that are not aero, but i'll have a big saddle bag to bring stuff with me and that's gonna provide a good surface for the crosswind to annoy me. I'm also quite tall, T58 bike and quite skinny

Last edited by dirtydozen; 08-19-20 at 01:35 AM.
Old 08-19-20, 04:16 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
...I've also been blown around by tractor trailers passing on narrow roads....
Not directly relevant to OP, but it is good to anticipate how a big vehicle will affect you if passing fast and close.

There is a very strong push away from the motor vehicle when the front of the vehicle passes, then a pull toward the vehicle about 5 feet behind the nose, then a strong pull toward the vehicle when the tail passes peaking at about 5-8 feet behind the tail.

That is without a strong head/tail/crosswind or gusts.

Bottom line: I’d leave lots of lateral space and if I saw a pinch point ahead I’d make sure I won’t have passing traffic as I go through.

Reference to study here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/19907897-post30.html
Likes For flangehead:
Old 08-19-20, 07:03 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
You might be able to control that back wind if you ease up on the legumes.
Old 08-19-20, 10:32 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
I live in Fargo ND, and the wind you are describing happens a lot around here. I have ridden some with bags in that kind of wind, but on a tandem, which is very stable. I am of the same mindset as WhyFi: I have had tailwinds like that on tour, and they are a BONUS! I am a great big sail. In my university days I was constantly being asked if I was on the (American) Football team. You need to be aware, but I would not cancel a day's ride because of that level of wind.

Is there bus service along the route you are riding? We stopped riding for a few miles and caught a bus in Scotland because we were riding into a 30/40 MPH headwind. Going at 4 MPH for 20 more miles after covering eight miles in two hours was not enjoyable, and places we wanted to visit would be closed by the time we rode the full distance. So we stopped and took the bus. Yes, most buses in Scotland will take a fully loaded touring tandem in the luggage hold.

Also, can you pre-ride the route on Google maps? I know it is a lot of time but I have done that when I tour in an unfamiliar place. If I see something, like a cattle guard at the bottom of a long hill or a narrow spot in the road I am aware of it before I ride.
Old 08-19-20, 11:06 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Luckily I don't remember any of the crash. All I remember is being found by some motorists, and trying to get back on my bike.

They talked me out of that.
Glad they talked you out of that. When I crashed and broke C1 & C2 (now fused) I knew I shouldn't move and I wouldn't let anyone take my helmet off until the EMTs showed up. All thanks to my days of being an MSF Instructor.
Likes For bruce19: