Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I find it amazing what advertising can condition people to accept

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I find it amazing what advertising can condition people to accept

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-20, 01:10 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Even repairing has become parts replacement and not rebuilding. A friend of mine used to say that auto mechanics no longer exist, they are just parts replacers. They will replace parts until they find the one causing the problem. Replacement parts are so much cheaper than rebuilding, so why not?
Uhmm, you still need to diagnose where the problem is to "rebuild" something. Another issue is most of the time the "replace until solved" is electronic controls rather than mechanical assemblies and the time and trouble to trace to a part that isn't rebuild able anyway, particularly given the amount of them now being used. A big part is offshore parts have become cheaper then skilled labor to diagnose and install them. For example I used to cut rotors, now a cheap off shore rotor is faster and cheaper than cutting the old one.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 08-20-20, 01:14 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Higher energy efficiency is generally considered "better."
But, that does not necessarily make it structurally more sound/better.
Old 08-20-20, 01:16 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
But there again that black and white TV could be cheaply fixed when it went wrong. When you new flat screen TV goes bad it goes to the land fill and you buy a new one.
And it cost about $200 at a time when the average car cost $2000 and the median family income was about $5600.

Now? A flat screen TV costs about $200 when the average car costs $30,000 and median family income is about $61,000.

So, there's that.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-20-20, 01:19 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3947 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
I was going to. I looked up who recycled, and drove it there. They wanted $50. You can imagine what I told them. I brought it back home and tore it apart and threw it in the trash.
Not surprised by that.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-20-20, 01:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Not surprised by that.
Complains about things ending up in the landfill, and it turns out he put them there.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-20-20, 01:28 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,481 Times in 4,184 Posts
Do you really thing the chinese frame building sweat shops pay their people $15 to $25 per hour. If they did most America name brand bikes would be built her in the US.
No, I dont think people building frames in a factory in China are making $15-25usd/hour.
I also dont think they are making the $.40/hr you claimed earlier.

I responded to your $.40/hr claim and offered up no guess as to what the pay range is. You then chose to assign $15-25thr to my argument.

Seriously, do you understand the basics of a discussion? Dont create an argument, assign it to someone, then defeat the argument and claim the other person is wrong. Thats a logical fallacy.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-20-20, 01:31 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Yes Taiwan. I consider anything from Taiwan to be of better quality than from main land China.
I'm not surprised. Such a blanket belief is seriously flawed and is not based in reality.
China has the ability to produce crap products and incredible products. Same with Taiwan.
Old 08-20-20, 01:49 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Game manufacturers have been re-issuing games; NES, N64...

It is no longer a matter of looking for NOS, companies have discovered that there is a human nature of reaching back to an earlier time in life to re-capture something.

It is unbelievably hilarious to see gamers getting the latest version of a game and at the same time buying Mario Cart to play with their kids.

In most of us, regardless of our devotion to the latest tech, there is a piece that holds on to some part of our past.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 08-20-20 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-20-20, 01:56 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
This guy went my ignore list long ago. Why good folks engage with this nonsense to the tune six pages and 136 responses, and counting, is beyond me. People (in this case an angry old man looking for attention) troll this place on a daily basis, and people jump right in and entertain them.

Never argue with a fool..they'll drag you down to their level and beat you up with experience.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 08-20-20, 02:23 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Game manufacturers have been re-issuing games; NES, N64...
In most of us, regardless of our devotion to the latest tech, there is a piece that holds on to some part of our past.

John
This is not new and has a limit... of a lifetime. 50’s pop music, which was still on AM when I was a kid in the 80’s, is disappearing. There is nearly no market for pop from the Roaring 20’s.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 08-20-20, 02:43 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Mostly for additional insulation for energy purposes not to be better.
well actually, it's the additional insulation that makes the house better. being less wasteful by using less energy to heat or cool the building is a quantifiable advantage.
Likes For BoraxKid:
Old 08-20-20, 03:13 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
No, I dont think people building frames in a factory in China are making $15-25usd/hour.
I also dont think they are making the $.40/hr you claimed earlier.

I responded to your $.40/hr claim and offered up no guess as to what the pay range is. You then chose to assign $15-25thr to my argument.

Seriously, do you understand the basics of a discussion? Dont create an argument, assign it to someone, then defeat the argument and claim the other person is wrong. Thats a logical fallacy.
Regarding Chinese cf factory workers earning $.40/hour: Given that we're all carrying computers with internet access around in our pockets, I'm always amazed that some people just make things up rather than taking, oh, two minutes to check the actual facts. I mean, blimey, you don't even have to ride your bike on down to the library these days.

You are describing the Straw Man fallacy, I believe. Very common.

Honestly, this whole thread is a hoot.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-20-20, 03:32 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Koyote
Regarding Chinese cf factory workers earning $.40/hour: Given that we're all carrying computers with internet access around in our pockets, I'm always amazed that some people just make things up rather than taking, oh, two minutes to check the actual facts. I mean, blimey, you don't even have to ride your bike on down to the library these days.

You are describing the Straw Man fallacy, I believe. Very common.

Honestly, this whole thread is a hoot.
Oh I love threads started by 'bent. They are pure gold. Its my version of a trashy checkout line magazine or superficial reality show where everyone is terrible to one another. I find all that off putting, but love me some disaster 'bent threads!

As for logical fallacies, they are little devils. Even when aware of them, its super easy to fall into using them. Straw Man, Slippery Slope, and Ad Hom Attack are really common on the 2 forums I frequent. Well, those as well as Appeal to Authority and Bandwagon.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-20-20, 03:44 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Oh I love threads started by 'bent. They are pure gold. Its my version of a trashy checkout line magazine or superficial reality show where everyone is terrible to one another. I find all that off putting, but love me some disaster 'bent threads!

As for logical fallacies, they are little devils. Even when aware of them, its super easy to fall into using them. Straw Man, Slippery Slope, and Ad Hom Attack are really common on the 2 forums I frequent. Well, those as well as Appeal to Authority and Bandwagon.
I have a handy little way to determine whether someone is using an Ad Hominem fallacy:

Ad Hominem: "Because you're stupid, your argument is bad"

NOT Ad Hominem: "Because your argument is bad, you're stupid."

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-20-20, 03:54 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
This guy went my ignore list long ago. Why good folks engage with this nonsense to the tune six pages and 136 responses, and counting, is beyond me. People (in this case an angry old man looking for attention) troll this place on a daily basis, and people jump right in and entertain them.

Never argue with a fool..they'll drag you down to their level and beat you up with experience.
But see that is where you are dead wrong. Im 81 in fantastic health, have a fantastic family, and have lived the American dream. I am very happy in retirement, and ride about 25 miles every other day. What is not to be happy about.

OTOH it is people like you that attack people you dont know just because you dont agree with them.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 08-20-20, 04:20 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3947 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
But see that is where you are dead wrong. Im 81 in fantastic health, have a fantastic family, and have lived the American dream. I am very happy in retirement, and ride about 25 miles every other day. What is not to be happy about..
You were a year older 3 days ago, so I guess you're getting younger.

Im 82, and ride about 25 miles every other day. I could pass for 65, and feel like it too. And think even younger.

That last sentence is pretty humorous, BTW.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-20-20, 04:26 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
This is not new and has a limit... of a lifetime. 50’s pop music, which was still on AM when I was a kid in the 80’s, is disappearing. There is nearly no market for pop from the Roaring 20’s.
Very well put. Although there may be a few things that transcend. It would be interesting to see the collectibility of an original ‘62 Strat on its 100th anniversary.

John
Old 08-20-20, 07:23 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
No not at all. But some of us can see thru it and make wise decisions on our own.

My favorite BTW was the fool telling us on TV that some brand of instant coffee tasted just as good as fresh perked.
For some things yes but studies have shown that people will do what they are "marketed" to do, whether they like it or not.
Old 08-20-20, 07:28 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
Many folks don't see spending years as a copier repairman and ending up being trapped in Nebraska as the American dream.

Just like many folks don't pine for the days of brifters and six speed cassettes.

It's broader experiences and different goals that you seem to not be able to understand here.
I lived in NE. It's pretty nice, actually. But you gotta be okay with some snow.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-20-20, 07:35 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
Many folks don't see spending years as a copier repairman and ending up being trapped in Nebraska as the American dream.

Just like many folks don't pine for the days of brifters and six speed cassettes.

It's broader experiences and different goals that you seem to not be able to understand here.
Not just copiers, but probably 350 machine types from typewriters to small main frame computers and most everything in between.

As far as being "trapped" in Nebr, we have clean air, clean water and clean streets. Want to tell me about the streets in San Francisco, since I see you are from Calif. Further, I am not afraid to walk down any street here in Lincoln at 3am. Can you say that about the streets in San Francisco or LA????
Likes For rydabent:
Old 08-20-20, 07:51 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
One of the other things we do in the 21st century is recycle our electronics, because it really isn't a good idea to put them in the local landfill.
I was going to. I looked up who recycled, and drove it there. They wanted $50. You can imagine what I told them. I brought it back home and tore it apart and threw it in the trash.
Originally Posted by genejockey
Complains about things ending up in the landfill, and it turns out he put them there.
I honestly don't know how much of what we have recycled is actually recycled.
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/plastic-wars/
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ling-landfills

Considering shredders are used in many instances, I can't imagine how hard it would be to separate the components on circuit boards, plastics, glass, steel, aluminum, etc. and be able to still recycle these items.

Last edited by FiftySix; 08-20-20 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-20-20, 08:01 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,403 Times in 2,744 Posts
Parts of Nebraska are very attractive. I especially like the Sandhills. And don't forget Carhenge.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-20-20, 08:21 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
I don’t think they recycle e waste here but they do want it separated. Heavy metals don’t belong in the landfill.

Instant coffee did get better. Starbucks Via packets are pretty tolerable on tour. But I do remember “We’ve secretly replaced these dummies’ burnt diner coffe with Folgers Crystals!”
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-20-20, 08:33 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Not just copiers, but probably 350 machine types from typewriters to small main frame computers and most everything in between.

As far as being "trapped" in Nebr, we have clean air, clean water and clean streets. Want to tell me about the streets in San Francisco, since I see you are from Calif. Further, I am not afraid to walk down any street here in Lincoln at 3am. Can you say that about the streets in San Francisco or LA????
"Here, defend a city you probably don't live in, compared to a city many times smaller!"

Yeah, and the 600-person town where I grew up makes Lincoln look like a ****hole by comparison, in terms of crime. And....?

Old 08-20-20, 08:34 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Parts of Nebraska are very attractive. I especially like the Sandhills. And don't forget Carhenge.
I thought Nebraska was boring, till I drove across North Dakota.

Likes For genejockey:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.