Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New power meter...pleas help me understand

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New power meter...pleas help me understand

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-20, 01:41 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Balls out is balls out. It doesn't matter what the power meter says. Train to your zones, as long as the PM is consistent it doesn't matter if it's 2% off from another brand. If you switch to another brand then you will train within the zones on that PM. So your FTP is higher by 5 watts on another brand...so what. The zones will be recalculated to account for that 5 watts. Zone 3 is still zone 3, zone 4 is still zone 4, etc...The level of effort is still going to be the same operating in those recalculated zones.
Old 09-03-20, 01:55 PM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
All this being said, I totally understand the need/desire to know where you fall in the spectrum of power (or speed) as a beginner. I wanted to know what the average power is among beginner cyclists and where I fell. Unfortunately, many cyclists get a hard on to tell you how that is useless and you shouldn't worry about it (seriously, not just on this site). While there is truth to that, it doesn't take into account people who just like to know the numbers.
Wanting to know how/where you stand among other cyclists is a very legitimate and healthy curiosity.
Some of us like the numbers. If you do want to know the numbers for the sake of curiosity, you should absolutely pursue the knowledge.
Just know that it's a rabbit hole and can get expensive. Do it for the right reasons. I've purchased multiple power meters; I'll probably buy more, and I don't regret it, because I know what I'm getting into.
Likes For Metallifan33:
Old 09-04-20, 09:54 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I've watched triathletes climb off of bikes and quit their workout because one meter was giving them a 5W different reading.
There you go - that's your problem. You shouldnt be engaging with triathletes at all.
Old 09-04-20, 10:00 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by colnago62
For those people who are using a power meter like a hrm, then having numbers close enough is probably fine. If a rider is trying to improve on their flying 200, sprint or standing start, They will probably want something more accurate.
I would disagree there. A 1-2% variance in numbers isnt going to change anything in how you train: ultimately, the goal is to go faster, not to have a consistent number on the screen. A 1-2% variation in the output falls within your own body's day to day variation in power output. How actionable would this 1-2% variation be in real life?

Eg, my sprint is around 1200W. Whether is 1224 or 1176 doesnt really make a meaningful difference one way or the other.
Old 09-04-20, 12:42 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
What better alternative is there?
Old 09-04-20, 12:57 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla

Eg, my sprint is around 1200W. Whether is 1224 or 1176 doesnt really make a meaningful difference one way or the other.
It could be the difference of you being able to come around a person at the line or the difference in being able to make the bubble in a sprint tournament. Those numbers inform your training. Is your jump not sufficient or do you start your sprint too soon? Your power curve can help answer those questions. An accurate power meter is absolutely important if your goal is to get the most out of your training.
Old 09-04-20, 01:00 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Liar. We know that you're a dirty triathlete and that your sprint is 400w for 5min.
Old 09-04-20, 03:03 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Liar. We know that you're a dirty triathlete and that your sprint is 400w for 5min.
Sounds normal to me?
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 09-04-20, 03:20 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I've watched triathletes climb off of bikes and quit their workout because one meter was giving them a 5W different reading.
A triathlete will get off their bike because the power meter is off by 5W, but they'll soil their shorts rather than get off the bike to use a porta-potty during a race. Really sums it up ...
Old 09-04-20, 03:37 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
A triathlete will get off their bike because the power meter is off by 5W, but they'll soil their shorts rather than get off the bike to use a porta-potty during a race. Really sums it up ...
That's really not typical, in either case.
Old 09-04-20, 04:07 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
It could be the difference of you being able to come around a person at the line or the difference in being able to make the bubble in a sprint tournament. Those numbers inform your training. Is your jump not sufficient or do you start your sprint too soon? Your power curve can help answer those questions. An accurate power meter is absolutely important if your goal is to get the most out of your training.
What?

Have you ever raced? Sprinted in a race? Trained for sprinting in racing?

This is a bizarre example.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 09-04-20, 05:36 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
The lengths people go to defend a losing position in an discussion never fails to amaze me.
Old 09-04-20, 05:40 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
Adding fuel to the fire...why do different devices show power differently. My wahoo, strava and rwgps showed average power as 206, 213, and 237 respectively for the same ride...
It’s at best a wild assed guess but they all use different formulas to achieve the numbers.
Old 09-04-20, 05:48 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Well, now at least I have a new excuse for when I get pipped at the line: my power meter was reading 5% off and I wasn't able to optimize my training!
Old 09-04-20, 08:06 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 487 Posts
Ooof. Sometimes I read threads that I really shouldn't and then I regret it.
Likes For RChung:
Old 09-04-20, 08:33 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 487 Posts
Different people have different goals and different abilities so it's not surprising that people may have different needs for accurate power data. Some uses of a power meter don't really require much accuracy or precision, others do. Drag measurement is one of the more demanding uses for power data.

We've long known how to make someone faster on a bike: maximize the power they can make, or minimize the power they must make. Training is mostly about maximizing the power they can make; drag reduction, in its many forms, is mostly about minimizing the power they must make. The stopwatch or finish line don't care whether you got there first because of more power or less drag, and the rules allow you to do both.

In my situation, my power is declining. I have to do all this crazy drag reduction stuff to keep from being even slower. Even if my power weren't declining, drag reduction means you can go at the same speed as before but more easily, and lots of people consider that a nice thing, too, even if they never race.

That said, I've helped a couple of people set world records, a couple of teams win Olympic medals, a few riders to win state or national races, and one guy to finally beat his brother-in-law in their annual family race. That was sweet. One of the riders I helped to a world record had made an unsuccessful attempt the previous year. We made some changes in both position and equipment that made him faster even though his power in the second (successful) attempt was a couple of watts lower. All that mattered was the clock, and it didn't care. He didn't either.
Likes For RChung:
Old 09-04-20, 09:40 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Ooof. Sometimes I read threads that I really shouldn't and then I regret it.

LoL
Old 09-05-20, 10:10 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Hey, are you new here? Welcome to Bikeforums

Actually, after a couple of years of riding tempo and SST and rarely going over VO2 for more than a handful of seconds, along with unavoidable aging, it seems that I no longer have a 1200W sprint. Or anywhere close to it. Atleast I did not yesterday, when I did some intervals. I cant even blame it on a 2% inaccuracy of my power meter.

Damn triathletes.

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Sounds normal to me?
400W? Only if i am doing an easy full Iron.

Originally Posted by RChung
That said, I've helped a couple of people set world records, a couple of teams win Olympic medals, a few riders to win state or national races, and one guy to finally beat his brother-in-law in their annual family race. That was sweet. One of the riders I helped to a world record had made an unsuccessful attempt the previous year. We made some changes in both position and equipment that made him faster even though his power in the second (successful) attempt was a couple of watts lower. All that mattered was the clock, and it didn't care. He didn't either.
Yeah, but do you have a Youtube channel where you Tell It Like It Is, preferably by using a lot of cusswords to mask unsupported leaps in logic? Bro?

Last edited by guadzilla; 09-05-20 at 10:13 AM.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 09-05-20, 10:11 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

I am not sure how a 2% difference in my powermeter reading is going to affect any of that.
Old 09-05-20, 11:16 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I am not sure how a 2% difference in my powermeter reading is going to affect any of that.
Easy -

Likes For WhyFi: