Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Saddle Comparison: Gilles Berthoud Aravis vs. Selle Anatomica H2

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 09-12-20, 06:42 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts

The Gilles Berthoud Aravis and the Selle Anatomica H2 are very different saddles. This comparison is not intended to declare a "winner", nor will I try to tell anyone which saddle is "better". My intent is to simply share some information about my experience with these two saddles. If your considering one or the other, or if you're just trying to gather anecdotal information about leather saddles I hope this post is helpful.

Gilles Berthoud Aravis
- Manufactured in house from thick natural, pre-softened vegetable tanned leather
- Backplate made of technical material providing solidity and flexibility for maximum comfort
- Polished titanium rails
- Weight: 440g
- No stated rider-weight limit
- Length: 278mm x Width: 157mm
- Cutout: No

Selle Anatomica H2
- Full Grain leather top with dual reinforcing laminate layers
- Cast aluminum frame
- Stainless steel tubular rails
- Weight: ~420g
- Designed for cyclists who ride more than 100 miles per week and/or weigh between 180 and 250 pounds
- Length: 290mm x Width: 155mm
- Cutout: Yes

As you can see from the specs listed above almost everything but the saddle weight is pretty different. The construction of the leather tops is diffeent; the frame and rail materials are different. Selle Anatomica has a patented cutout on the H2 called "Flex-Fly", which is allows the left and righ sides of the saddle to move independently with the rider's shifting weight during the pedal stroke. The Aravis has no cutout, but each saddle top is formed in CNC-machined molds to create a very consistent quality.

OK, but how do they feel and how do they ride? What are the key differences?

Selle Anatomica H2
The H2 has a pronounced hammock-shape and feels fairly wide for its stated 155mm. I attribute the wide feel (in part) to the shape, but also to the long cutout (which is specifically designed to allow each side of the saddle to flex and move). I believe the long cutout also allows the saddle to spread slightly under the rider's weight, therefore giving it a wider feel.

I have the saddle set up in a slightly nose-up position. However, I did not do this to prevent forward slippage. That's simply where it felt level and comfortable.

As for positional flexibility, the H2 is not a saddle that allows the rider to shift positions. Due to the hammock shape the rider is pretty much planted in one position, making the rider feel like s/he is IN the saddle as opposed to being ON the saddle.

Right out of the box I found the H2 quite comfortable. Selle Anatomica claims the saddle does not need to be broken-in, and I concur. I've suffered no chafing nor any saddle sores since day 1, even for century rides.

The leather tops is not as thick as the Gilles Berthoud Aravis, but it is substantial and should provide for thousands of miles (or kilometers) before needing replacement. I did have to retension the saddle once within the first 500 miles of riding, but I assume that's normal.

Living in Florida this saddle has already been exposed to light rain from normal riding, but I've not noticed any color-bleed.

Gilles Berthoud Aravis
The Aravis has a flatter profile (front to back) with a center crown and a slight rise at the rear of the saddle. Right out of the box the leather top on the Aravis is very hard. When I tapped on it with my knuckes it sounded like I was knocking on wood. This led me to assume it would be uncomfortable (at leat initially) and the beak-in period might be a little rough... and I was 100% wrong. From day 1 the Aravis has been extremely comfortable. Yes, it is a very hard saddle. However, the hardness combined with the shape makes you feel like you're ON the saddle rather than IN the saddle. My sit bones are very well supported and there is minimal pressure on my soft tissue areas. At 157mm (2mm wider than the H2) it feels narrower than the H2, which I attribute the the shape and the lack of a coutout.

I initially set the saddle up to be perfectly level using a spirit level, but because the rear of the saddle is slightly ramped the nose was in fact slightly up. On my first ride, which was intended to be 50 miles but ended up being 122 miles, I started to feel some pressure on my pireneum at around the 80-mile mark. By the end of the ride there was some discomfort, but by the next day it had resolved itself. I then adjusted the saddle to be slightly nose-down by about 2-3mm, but in this position the nose is actually pretty flat.

As for positional flexibility, the Aravis allows the rider to easily shift positions front to back. The Aravis also feels quite lively and spring-like. It doesn't flex anything like the H2 during the pedal stroke, but when traveling over road chatter, small bumps, rocks, etc. the saddle top flexes to dampen the impact.

While the Aravis has been comfortable from day 1 it does go through a lengthy break-in period. It took roughly 400 miles before the saddle started to mold to my sit bones; and at 1,500 miles the Aravis is continuing to slowly break-in. However, so far it has retained most of its harness (which I really like). The Aravis does not feel any "softer" than it did when new. It's simply molding to my shape as I log more miles, and I've has no need (as of yet) to retension the top. Similar to the H2, I've suffered no chafing nor any saddle sores since day 1, even for century rides.

When the saddle gets wet there is some color-bleed from the vegetable dye, but it's pretty minor and does not stain my riding shorts. I mention it because I've noticed it, but it's a non-issue.
UPDATE as of 09/21/2020: Bleeding of the vegetable dye has stopped. It seems it was just temporary, similar to how dark clothes bleed when new and then it stops after a few washes.

Final Thoughts
Both the Selle Anatomica H2 and the Gilles Berthoud are excellent saddles. The feel of the saddles is also distinctly different. If you like a very hard saddle that really supports your sit bones and provides positional flexibility then the Aravis is the better option. If you prefer a saddle with a softer feel, a hammock-like shape and need (or prefer) a cutout than you'll likely prefer the H2. I think it really comes down to personal preference. One saddle is not inherrently better than the other.

After riding both saddles the Aravis is the clear winner for me. While I don't frequently change poisitons on the saddle, I do prefer the feeling of being on top of the saddle along with a more narrow feel. I also prefer the lively, springy feel of the Aravis. The Aravis provides a level of comfort over long distances that I've not previously experienced. My longest ride so far on the Aravis is 152 miles and I'm currently planning my first-ever double century. I love this saddle so much I ordered a 2nd.

Last edited by Cyclist0100; 09-19-20 at 07:41 AM. Reason: updating information
Likes For Cyclist0100:
Old 09-12-20, 08:13 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
nice looking Ogre, big looking chainring, how many teeth?

the cutout saddle looks so different having that pronounced hammock shape to it, while its nice to get someones personal take on how two different seats feel, I can't imagine how such a hammocky shaped seat would feel--but as you say, the cut out is so pronounced and designed with such an amount of flexing to take place, it must really have a different feel than regular seats.
You don't ever feel pressure points from the edges of the cutout?
Again, so tricky to try to describe how a seat feels, as one really does need to actually use something to see how it would work out.

thanks for the comparison though. The Berthoud does have a nice aesthetic look to it with the detailed rivets, I would assume that it is at least similar in feel to the various B17s that I have.
Likes For djb:
Old 09-12-20, 08:31 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Great review.

I got this one, for the best of both worlds:

Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 09-12-20, 08:37 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by djb
The Berthoud does have a nice aesthetic look to it with the detailed rivets, I would assume that it is at least similar in feel to the various B17s that I have.
To me, at least, the Sella Anatomica saddle feels more like a B17 than does the Berthaud, whose shape is quite different. My Sella Anatomica has almost the same width and profile as the Brooks B17; the Berthaud is significantly narrower.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 09-12-20, 08:44 AM
djb

one of my B17s is narrower than the others, but is still very comfortable for me, but I'm a narrow guy. I still think someone can sort of get a rough idea of how a bike will work, especially if you can compare it to a seat that you know works, but its still going to be a bit of hit and miss.
And also, lets face it, its hard, if not impossible to factor out or in the "princess and the pea" aspect of how something can work out or not for an individual.
Likes For djb:
Old 09-12-20, 10:02 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Originally Posted by djb
nice looking Ogre, big looking chainring, how many teeth?

the cutout saddle looks so different having that pronounced hammock shape to it, while its nice to get someones personal take on how two different seats feel, I can't imagine how such a hammocky shaped seat would feel--but as you say, the cut out is so pronounced and designed with such an amount of flexing to take place, it must really have a different feel than regular seats.
You don't ever feel pressure points from the edges of the cutout?
Again, so tricky to try to describe how a seat feels, as one really does need to actually use something to see how it would work out.

thanks for the comparison though. The Berthoud does have a nice aesthetic look to it with the detailed rivets, I would assume that it is at least similar in feel to the various B17s that I have.
42t WolfTooth oval. A 38t would have likely been plenty with the 10-50 cassette, but I'm in Florida so I wanted lots of power on the flats to drive that 10 tooth cog.

Yes, I can feel the cutout on the H2 to a small degree, but the inside edges are not at all bothersome. The cutout works as it should and is a very good design by Selle Anatomica
Old 09-12-20, 10:04 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Originally Posted by wgscott
Great review.

How many miles on that open saddle? Has it maintained it's structure and firmness after the break-in period?
Old 09-12-20, 07:46 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Cycletography
How many miles on that open saddle? Has it maintained it's structure and firmness after the break-in period?
I suspect that's a product shot of a new seat. Lighting looks that way.
Old 09-12-20, 07:52 PM
djb

42t WolfTooth oval. A 38t would have likely been plenty with the 10-50 cassette, but I'm in Florida so I wanted lots of power on the flats to drive that 10 tooth cog.

Yes, I can feel the cutout on the H2 to a small degree, but the inside edges are not at all bothersome. The cutout works as it should and is a very good design by Selle Anatomica
wow, that's 24-121 gear inches. You could spin that out to 80kph 50mph. I spin out my 112 g.i. Bike to a bit over 70k 45mph.
amazing these 10-50t cassettes aren't they, and the rd 's that can work them.

glad the cutout edges work out.
Likes For djb:
Old 09-12-20, 11:12 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

I think my mileage is really down this year. I will have to figure it out. It still feels like I am in the breaking in phase. It is quite firm, still, and looks exactly like the one in the picture (except for the nice scuff I put on it a couple of months ago when I rode into a ditch and it tossed me into what looked like a shallow grave).
Old 09-13-20, 10:01 AM
gerryl

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Other then being really really expensive, one thing that really sticks out for me are how heavy they are. The Berthoud with its titanium rail comes in at almost half a kilo at 440 grams, while the Anatomica with its stainless steel rails come in 20 grams lighter, but still 420 grams. My $65 Cnd super comfortable all day in the saddle weights 330 grams. However I must admit they are both very pretty saddles non the less.
Old 09-13-20, 12:52 PM
djb

Originally Posted by gerryl
Other then being really really expensive, one thing that really sticks out for me are how heavy they are. The Berthoud with its titanium rail comes in at almost half a kilo at 440 grams, while the Anatomica with its stainless steel rails come in 20 grams lighter, but still 420 grams. My $65 Cnd super comfortable all day in the saddle weights 330 grams. However I must admit they are both very pretty saddles non the less.
leather saddles certainly are heavy compared to so many other seats. When I tried a leather brooks and found it to be a good deal more comfortable than other seats Ive had, I just figured the extra weight was worth it, but as you say, there are all kinds of seats that work well for folks, lighter and a lot lighter on the wallet too...
Likes For djb:
Old 09-13-20, 04:47 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

They indeed are heavier, but the half-pound of extra fat on my arse is likely a bigger problem than the bike part that abutts it. (Pun intended.)
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 09-14-20, 07:18 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Originally Posted by gerryl
Going into my purchase of the Aravis I was concerned about the price. As you say, "really expensive". The prospect of paying $255 for a saddle that might not work out was a definite risk. However, on the back end of the purchase I think it's good value for money considering the high level of comfort the saddle provides. I can't tell you how much I hated the chafing I experienced with other saddles. Chafing is not the worst thing in the world and it did not cause me to rie any less, but it's inconvenient. I was also having to use chamois cream on a regular basis, and the cost of that chamois cream adds up over time. Now, with the Aravis, I have no chafing to deal with and no need for chamois cream (although I still use a little bit for longer rides as a precaution).

Regarding weight.... yeah, leather saddles are not for "weight weenies". But for my bike and my style of riding the added weight of the saddle is a non-issue.

Last edited by Cyclist0100; 09-19-20 at 07:24 AM.
Likes For Cyclist0100:
Old 09-18-20, 11:42 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

benscycles.com I think might have the best prices.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 09-19-20, 07:01 AM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Very informative, as I have recently been looking at both. I have a Selle Anatomica on the way. Happened to be looking at the FAQs on their website and they specifically mention you have to get off the saddle when riding over bumps because the rails are so long and can bend. This kind of worries me as I’ll be using it on an allroad bike that I sometimes ride singletrack on.

I guess I should have read the FAQs before ordering but I would never have guessed a saddle would come with a warning like that. Have you noticed any problems with the rails?
Likes For walnutz:
Old 09-19-20, 07:29 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Originally Posted by walnutz
Thanks for posting this. Very informative, as I have recently been looking at both. I have a Selle Anatomica on the way. Happened to be looking at the FAQs on their website and they specifically mention you have to get off the saddle when riding over bumps because the rails are so long and can bend. This kind of worries me as I’ll be using it on an allroad bike that I sometimes ride singletrack on.

I guess I should have read the FAQs before ordering but I would never have guessed a saddle would come with a warning like that. Have you noticed any problems with the rails?
I wouldn't worry about the length of the rails. Should be a non-issue. Also, while I'm not 100% positive, I believe that Selle Anatomica has shortened the rails on its latest generation of saddles.

As for riding over bumps, I have not had to alter my riding style when on the H2. I ride over "normal" bumps in the saddle and have had no issues. I do stand for large road imperfections, but that has nothing to do with concern about the rails.
Likes For Cyclist0100:
Old 09-26-20, 07:06 AM
walnutz

Random update for anyone interested: I got my Selle Anatomica X2 last week and used it on a 50 mile gravel ride and 30 mile road ride.
-like OP says, comfy out of the box. (I ride without a chamois fwiw)
-no issues with the rails so far
-looks good, quality construction

However, the sides flare out unlike a Brooks. This has caused some chafing and sore inner-thighs. I’m going to give a few more rides to see if I build a tolerance, but it’s a really strange design choice. I guess it allows for the give/flexibility, but I have pretty thin legs and never have had chasing issues before.
Old 09-26-20, 07:10 AM
walnutz

Originally Posted by wgscott
Great review.

How is this one working out for you?
Old 10-04-20, 05:24 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
one of my B17s is narrower than the others, but is still very comfortable for me, but I'm a narrow guy. I still think someone can sort of get a rough idea of how a bike will work, especially if you can compare it to a seat that you know works, but its still going to be a bit of hit and miss.
And also, lets face it, its hard, if not impossible to factor out or in the "princess and the pea" aspect of how something can work out or not for an individual.
Another narrow rider here. A normal B17 is too wide for me. My Selle Anatomica is almost too wide. But the hammock effect makes it doable. I bought it, used to try out, and probably won't buy another, due to the width. My perfect saddle is a B17 Narrow. I also don't use chamois, or any padding. I'm currently riding my C15 until the end of the rainy season. I realize I've strayed somewhat off topic here. Carry on

Old 10-04-20, 05:31 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

How is this one working out for you?

I think my mileage is really down this year. I will have to figure it out. [About 1.5K miles] It still feels like I am in the breaking in phase. It is quite firm, still, and looks exactly like the one in the picture (except for the nice scuff I put on it a couple of months ago when I rode into a ditch and it tossed me into what looked like a shallow grave).
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 10-06-20, 07:38 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
OP great review

However, the sides flare out unlike a Brooks. This has caused some chafing and sore inner-thighs. I’m going to give a few more rides to see if I build a tolerance, but it’s a really strange design choice. I guess it allows for the give/flexibility, but I have pretty thin legs and never have had chasing issues before.
Pretty sure you need to tighten up the saddle. Should not be flaring out like that.
Old 10-06-20, 08:58 AM
walnutz

Originally Posted by jadocs
OP great review

Pretty sure you need to tighten up the saddle. Should not be flaring out like that.
Yeah, I’ve tried that. It’s just the design. If you look from the top, it has a very triangular shape and the leather doesn’t go down toward the rails (if that makes sense) like a Brooks, so it doesn’t really “get out of the way”.

I’m still riding it and adjusting tension because I want it to work. My sit bones are very comfy on it, I just wish it was narrower.
Old 10-06-20, 09:02 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Yeah, I’ve tried that. It’s just the design. If you look from the top, it has a very triangular shape and the leather doesn’t go down toward the rails (if that makes sense) like a Brooks, so it doesn’t really “get out of the way”.

I’m still riding it and adjusting tension because I want it to work. My sit bones are very comfy on it, I just wish it was narrower.
Shoot them a message on FB, I am sure they have seen it all and can provide better advice.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 10-13-20, 09:23 AM
HeyPapa

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Does the leather on the Gilles Berthoud Aravis require treatment and conditioning? Is it as susceptible to damage from moisture such as the Brooks leather saddles?

Also, I enjoyed seeing the Surly Ogre. I hope you get an urge to give us a review and details on the build.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.