Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My first Serotta, 1996 CSI

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My first Serotta, 1996 CSI

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-18, 08:10 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by jetboy
ouch. at least he rides- i cant get my daughter on a bike at all.
Keep trying.

I wish he would take to the road though. It would be nice to ride with him sometimes.
Old 06-02-18, 08:11 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Out on the road with this today. Everything worked well with the "upgrades".

The weather was so amazing.

Old 06-02-18, 08:36 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Lovely bicycle, but damn... Incredible scenery. You are very fortunate to be able to enjoy riding (and living generally) with such surroundings!
Old 06-25-18, 07:00 PM
jamesdak 

I just thought I'd update this with my perceptions of this bike now that I have gotten a fair amount of rides on it. I love it!!

This bike is one of those great ones that seems to gather speed by itself. Several times I've been out on tired legs and still posted a good time on this. It also does a very good job absorbing the road imperfections while not losing speed. Each ride I take on this it just seems to get better. Today should have been my rest day. Legs were still tired from a long climb Saturday with a 42T
equipped bike (over 2700 ft) and then a fast ride Sunday. Today was hot and windy but the bike just kept on going. The tired legs meager power was transferred into more speed than I should have had today. I even fought the headwinds fairly easily on this. Yep, this is one heck of a good bike.
Old 09-16-20, 09:22 AM
jamesdak 

Well, it's been a couple of years and I thought I'd update this with some better pics and such. Still one great riding bike for sure. Last year I finally gave in and had the gummed up, sticky cable housing replaced. At the same time a shorter stem went on to get it to my proper reach. Then today I finally swapped out that funky looking black C.F. seatpost for a silver one. Been planning on an aero Campagnolo forever but it seemed like every time I found a good one at a decent price I put it on another bike. The one I put on is a nice looking Velo Orange Grand Cru that matches the stem's finish and shape pretty well in my opinion.

Pic from this morning with the new seatpost.

Today's got me wondering how this would look with some old silver Zonda's, Shamal's or the like.

Then here's a series of pics I shot of it about a month or so.

Last edited by jamesdak; 09-16-20 at 03:52 PM.
Likes For jamesdak:
Old 09-16-20, 09:23 AM
jamesdak 

And a few more, I had never really shot proper pics of this when I got it. I think it's holding up pretty well for it's age.

Old 09-16-20, 09:49 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
The paint is in great shape. Wonderful bike. All the talk of Serotta around here lately is rekindling my respect and awe for the brand I had from back in the day.
Old 09-16-20, 10:47 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Beautiful bike. What is up with the 'brake' written in zombie blood?
Old 09-16-20, 12:00 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Would be perfect with a silver set of newer Eurus.
OK. More Perfect.

Those things are addictive. I had to move mine on. I sent it with an F1 fork to match the frame and another to match ,the panels.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-16-20 at 07:06 PM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-16-20, 03:54 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Beautiful bike. What is up with the 'brake' written in zombie blood?
No clue, came to me like that. Doesn't bug me enough to risk trying to get it off without damaging the paint.
Old 09-16-20, 07:29 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
OK. More Perfect.

Those things are addictive. I had to move mine on. I sent it with an F1 fork to match the frame and another to match ,the panels.
I do love the Eurus wheels I have! And ditto on addictions. There's a nice 56 cm SLX tubed Serotta with Chorus 10 speed listed locally. I resisted by going into the garage and working on this, a Miyata 312, and my old Orbea.
Old 09-17-20, 10:06 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
That "BRAKE" totally looks like it was written in the rider's own blood after a crash.

DO. NOT. REMOVE. THIS.

--Shannon

Last edited by ShannonM; 09-17-20 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-18-20, 07:10 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
OK. More Perfect.

This is ALL your fault!

Chorus 10 speed goodness, how could I resist?!
Old 10-16-21, 09:15 AM
jamesdak 

This one has seen some updates so I thought I'd put up a couple of new quick pics.

Silver Velo Orange seatpost to match the color and shape even of the stem.

Then I just added some yellow bottle cages and rewrapped the bars in purple tape. The tape looks like a better match to the frame with the naked eye than the pictures show.

Old 08-19-22, 01:07 PM
jamesdak 

This one was moved on recently too. It was a great bike, plenty fast and comfortable and yet I hardly ever took it out. A little remorse seeing how beautiful it was in the sunlight as the new owner came to get it.

It's good to get some of these moved though and on to other owners so they can see more miles like they should.