Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Haven’t biked in years, starting over. Why’s everyone riding on less psi now?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Haven’t biked in years, starting over. Why’s everyone riding on less psi now?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-20, 06:45 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
So, you mean like trialing lower pressures until you find an error (a pinch flat?).
I don't think you need to pinch flat, to tell when a tire is getting too squishy. YMMV
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 09-19-20, 06:57 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
So, you mean like trialing lower pressures until you find an error (a pinch flat?).
I know when the tires are 10PSI lower than I normally ride. The rear feels mushy and the front don't bite on turns.

This is why most tires specify a range.... you have to dial it in for your setup.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 09-19-20, 08:53 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Sapience
Not sure if it’s worth ditching the Gatorskins sooner than later to switch Tubeless
All you fatties are missing the most important point.

Back to the topic - lower pressures are good, but if you are going for speed, i think some of the folks here are using far too low a pressure.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 09-19-20, 09:43 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
BQ published an article stating wider with lower psi can be faster, with enough data and rationale to be believable. The rough roads, body vibration story. Turning five or more decades of conventional thinking on its ear.

People tried wider tires at lower psi, and experienced new found comfort. Horrid chip seal roads became tolerable, decent pavement became silly smooth. Some believe they are faster as well.

​​​​​​Coinciding with growing popularity of gravel, and emergence of road tubeless, the timing was perfect.

Floodgates opened. Bike industry seized the opportunity, cyclists had excuses to n+1 or even replace their fleet. 30, 40, 50, more!
Likes For downtube42:
Old 09-19-20, 11:25 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
If you don't mind my saying so your post was rather minimal.
Look here's the deal! When you're typing on the internet you gotta use lots of words. That's just how it is!! If that doesn't work you gotta try a different browser or something!
Old 09-19-20, 11:26 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
But then man, what's the word for me at 175lbs?
They got ice cream flavored meth now.

20% off if you let Walter White keep your teeth.
Old 09-19-20, 11:55 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
BQ published an article stating wider with lower psi can be faster, with enough data and rationale to be believable. The rough roads, body vibration story. Turning five or more decades of conventional thinking on its ear.

People tried wider tires at lower psi, and experienced new found comfort. Horrid chip seal roads became tolerable, decent pavement became silly smooth. Some believe they are faster as well.

​​​​​​Coinciding with growing popularity of gravel, and emergence of road tubeless, the timing was perfect.

Floodgates opened. Bike industry seized the opportunity, cyclists had excuses to n+1 or even replace their fleet. 30, 40, 50, more!
Silca publishes something similar that is often referenced to argue low pressure is faster, however if you look at the charts they clearly show higher pressure is faster up to and above 100 psi, except if you ride very rough roads. The penalty for lower pressure is minor and may be worth it for comfort, but its not faster. Especially 60-70 psi that is often recommended.

https://blog.silca.cc/part-4b-rollin...-and-impedance

Last edited by Racing Dan; 09-20-20 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-20-20, 01:33 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Feels good, man. I've dropped from 175 lbs in 2015 when I resumed riding to 150 now and can get away with lower pressure for a more comfy ride on our increasingly terrible chipseal roads.

Seriously, I adjust the tire selection, tubes and pressure to suit the roads and how it feels. A little lower pressure with 700x25 Conti GP Classics and latex tubes on the steel bike -- around 85 psi rear, 70 front. A a little higher pressure with 700x23 Soma tires and butyl tubes on the carbon bike (I plan to switch to latex when I find some skinny enough for that tire and rim combo). Pretty much the same with cheap Conti Ultra Sport II, although the stiffer, thicker sidewalls on those felt a bit more jouncy rather than "supple," which is way too subjective anyway.

Depends on the rims too. I try to avoid squeezing in tires that are really too fat for the rim, even if it "fits." Maybe I'm getting too picky, but I can feel the difference between 700x23 and 700x25 tires on one set of older, narrower box section rims and another nearly identical design that's slightly wider. It's little things, like how each combo of tire/rim feels on rippled pavement on curves. On flat smooth pavement, no big deal.

I like Continental SpeedRides on my hybrid. It's a nominally 700x42 tire, actually measures closer to 700x38. That tire felt great when I had wider rims, around 622x19. But I switched to narrower 622x14 rims and the SpeedRides feel splashy and imprecise, especially on curves. When I tried to ride at my preferred lower pressure I found myself often looking down to see if the tire was going flat. Too much tire for that rim. So I switched to Conti 700x32 Sport Contact II until I find wider rims. I don't really like the Sport Contact II tires -- the thicker tread and rigid sidewalls are durable but harsh -- but at least they don't feel mushy and splashy on curves.

Occasionally I'll pump up my road bike tires to 110-120 psi to take a crack at some PRs. Yeah, it's a little faster on smooth pavement. But we have less of that magical tarmac all the time. In the real world of neglected infrastructure and that crappy gravel-resin mix that passes for pavement nowadays, I'd rather have the fattest tires my bike can manage at lower pressure, as long as it doesn't compromise the handling too much.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 09-20-20, 04:06 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Sapience
I haven’t biked in forever and now I’m a fatty. I’m trying to get back on the bike and ride myself back into shape. It’s been fun reading these forums again, especially that thread on Gatorskins because I just bought some again last week (I live in AZ where thorns are everywhere so go easy on me)

One thing I’ve noticed is a lot of people are running on less PSI. I weigh 155 and used to run 110 in my front wheel and 120 in my rear. This seems to be uncommon now. What’s the rationale for less psi and what should I be riding at these days? Thanks all
Wider tires at lower pressure are more comfortable but not slower, and that much pressure will slow you down with 25mm tires.

The pro peloton is all on 25mm tires, except the two teams sponsored by Specialized which makes 26mm wide tires instead.

In 2017 Cannondale-Drapac rode 102 psi front / 109 psi rear except Andrew Talansky (94 / 102) and Simon Clarke (116).

The Continental GP4000SII 20mm at 143 psi, 23mm at 123 psi, 25mm at 93 psi, and 28mm at 85 psi all have the same rolling resistance.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 09-25-20 at 05:21 PM.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 09-20-20, 08:20 PM
oldernwiser
Experienced Oldie

Bikes: 3 (commuter bike, racing bike, and mountain bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
That's like tighten till it snaps and back off 1/4 turn.

I determined my optimal psi by trial and error. I started high and went for a ride. Over the next few weeks I lowered it until If felt better and then squishy.

Your weight, the tires you pick, the size of the rims and your personal feel. I did the same with my collector car when I went with different size wheels and tires.
---------------------'
I wanted to add the kind of riding you are doing. I am not a leisure rider. I am always pushing the bike faster down the hill or having to break hard as the light turns red at the bottom of the hill, or a car turns in front of you because you are riding on his tail and he thought he passed you long ago. I am often in a hurry when one minute makes a huge difference at work. I just bought yesterday, a new 25c for the rear and a new 23 c for the front on my racing bike. I don't fall down as much on the ice and snowy roads because the skinnier tire cuts into the snow and ice better for steering. I weigh 150 lbs and with my 30 lb backpack puts me at 180 lbs. + or -.
i have dropped my tire pressure from 120 to 100 pounds, but I don't like any lower. Maybe I am old school , but I personally don't like riding below 100. If the pressure drops to 80 I will not ride it till I have pumped it back up to 100. Even at 95 it just takes the joy out of the ride for me. Maybe because of bad experiences in my past of tires going squishy on me. I love the rigidity and strength and protection the tire gives to the skinny wheel when I am pedaling over 35 miles an hour and concentrating ahead for the cleanest and smoothest path. I just have more confidence when I travel at speeds over 35 miles an hr every day except on snowy and icy roads during the winter. I am a very lazy rider. I have to ride all winter long so I don't have to start over in the spring. I love the thrill of keeping up with cars and in some cases passing them. I love keeping my body in shape and the undeserved reputation I get . I have not called in sick or missed a day of work in over 35 years.

Last edited by oldernwiser; 09-20-20 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-20-20, 08:45 PM
oldernwiser
Experienced Oldie

Bikes: 3 (commuter bike, racing bike, and mountain bike)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Feels good, man. I've dropped from 175 lbs in 2015 when I resumed riding to 150 now and can get away with lower pressure for a more comfy ride on our increasingly terrible chipseal roads.

Seriously, I adjust the tire selection, tubes and pressure to suit the roads and how it feels. A little lower pressure with 700x25 Conti GP Classics and latex tubes on the steel bike -- around 85 psi rear, 70 front. A a little higher pressure with 700x23 Soma tires and butyl tubes on the carbon bike (I plan to switch to latex when I find some skinny enough for that tire and rim combo). Pretty much the same with cheap Conti Ultra Sport II, although the stiffer, thicker sidewalls on those felt a bit more jouncy rather than "supple," which is way too subjective anyway.

Depends on the rims too. I try to avoid squeezing in tires that are really too fat for the rim, even if it "fits." Maybe I'm getting too picky, but I can feel the difference between 700x23 and 700x25 tires on one set of older, narrower box section rims and another nearly identical design that's slightly wider. It's little things, like how each combo of tire/rim feels on rippled pavement on curves. On flat smooth pavement, no big deal.

I like Continental SpeedRides on my hybrid. It's a nominally 700x42 tire, actually measures closer to 700x38. That tire felt great when I had wider rims, around 622x19. But I switched to narrower 622x14 rims and the SpeedRides feel splashy and imprecise, especially on curves. When I tried to ride at my preferred lower pressure I found myself often looking down to see if the tire was going flat. Too much tire for that rim. So I switched to Conti 700x32 Sport Contact II until I find wider rims. I don't really like the Sport Contact II tires -- the thicker tread and rigid sidewalls are durable but harsh -- but at least they don't feel mushy and splashy on curves.

Occasionally I'll pump up my road bike tires to 110-120 psi to take a crack at some PRs. Yeah, it's a little faster on smooth pavement. But we have less of that magical tarmac all the time. In the real world of neglected infrastructure and that crappy gravel-resin mix that passes for pavement nowadays, I'd rather have the fattest tires my bike can manage at lower pressure, as long as it doesn't compromise the handling too much.
loved your post. I say a hearty amen to your thinking.
Old 09-21-20, 01:28 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
The psi I run is based upon my fastest segment times - less about comfort, more about speed in my case for racing.

On my MTB, I run tubeless and around 19 psi front, 20 rear, a little more if the terrain is less challenging. This gives me the best combination for grip vs rolling resistance.

On my road bikes, I run tubes in GP5000's - don't want tubeless for road - on 25mm tyres and 100 - 110 psi, typically. Lower and I'm slower, tested on various timed Strava segments to find my ideal. I weigh 65 kg (143 lbs)
Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 09-21-20, 04:23 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
When it comes to road bike tire inflation, how someone rides also comes into play. I've known 135 pounds riders that trashed wheels because they didn't know how to unweight the saddle or bars and 200 pounds riders that could ride Mavic GEL280s with only 32 spokes.
Old 09-21-20, 04:27 AM
hedonist222

Bikes: BMC Roadmachine ONE

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
By unweight, you mean raise your backside or slight pull up on handlebars when going over irregularities?
Old 09-21-20, 07:10 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by hedonist222
By unweight, you mean raise your backside or slight pull up on handlebars when going over irregularities?
Yes on hovering over the saddle but not pulling up on the bars, more like unweighting the bars by using core muscles.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 09-21-20, 07:24 AM
hedonist222

Originally Posted by nomadmax
Yes on hovering over the saddle but not pulling up on the bars, more like unweighting the bars by using core muscles.
No different than an off road motorcycle

Last edited by hedonist222; 09-21-20 at 11:02 PM.
Likes For hedonist222:
Old 09-21-20, 04:59 PM
Sapience

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Here's a quick update no one will care about: I've been on two rides since I made this thread and have dropped PSI to 90-100 for now. Will experiment with going lower.

Really appreciate all of your guys' help. Thank you

It's interesting being back in the saddle after nearly a decade out of it. My legs are burning after only 5 miles... I have a long path ahead to get back to where I was, but I look forward to the journey and becoming more active once again.

My wife on the other hand, she's not enthused with me telling her to "smell me" after my rides. I'm a hairy dude and my post-ride cooldown leaves a lot of sweat to be wicked off my body hair, thus I easily emit a very salty sweaty odor

Thanks all
Likes For Sapience:
Old 09-21-20, 05:42 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I pump to 115 psi on 25 mm tires. But I'm lazy so I don't pump before every ride. Sometimes they get down to 85 before I pump them up. I can't say I notice a lot of difference +/- 20 pounds. I do have pretty smooth roads though.
Old 09-22-20, 10:32 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Silca publishes something similar that is often referenced to argue low pressure is faster, however if you look at the charts they clearly show higher pressure is faster up to and above 100 psi, except if you ride very rough roads. The penalty for lower pressure is minor and may be worth it for comfort, but its not faster. Especially 60-70 psi that is often recommended.

https://blog.silca.cc/part-4b-rollin...-and-impedance
This summer I built up my next randonneuring bike, with 38mm tubeless tires at 45psi. I've put just over 1000k on it, including two at 200k. It's a joy to ride, and if it has higher rolling resistance it's not showing up in results. I think any difference is lost in the noise of varying fitness, level of effort, hydration and nutrition, wind direction, and varying stop time. I totally buy the argument that comfortable is faster, and that more than makes up for any losses to rolling resistance. Throw in some segments of rough pavement, and traditional skinny tires lose.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 09-22-20, 11:19 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Don't stress. Once the CCP virus dies out, people will get back to work in the air factories and the current PSI shortage will come to an end.
Old 09-23-20, 08:53 AM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Can someone explain how low front tire pressure changes handling around the corners and such?

I am on the lower end of the pressure guides due to the rough roads surface where I live. No way I can ride more than an hour if I pump the tires up to 110. Seems like there's a bit of a speed comfort trade-off in lower PSIs.
Old 09-23-20, 10:56 AM
hedonist222

Originally Posted by rower2cyclist
Can someone explain how low front tire pressure changes handling around the corners and such?

I am on the lower end of the pressure guides due to the rough roads surface where I live. No way I can ride more than an hour if I pump the tires up to 110. Seems like there's a bit of a speed comfort trade-off in lower PSIs.
Have you ever used a blunt knife?
Old 09-23-20, 12:50 PM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by hedonist222
Have you ever used a blunt knife?
According to this Quora post a knife cuts as it "...separates material apart is by breaking weak intermolecular bonds that hold a substance together. Pushing down with a sharp edge forces material on either side of the blade outwards, ergo forcing the molecules apart."

My intuition is you'd want to increase the area of contact with the tire and the road using a lower psi which is kind of the opposite of a sharp knife. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe we are talking about the same things. I'm just trying to understand.
Likes For rower2cyclist:
Old 09-23-20, 12:55 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Drop the pressure until you get pinch flats, then add 10psi.
Or go tubeless and look at pinch flats in the rear view mirror.
Old 09-23-20, 01:23 PM
hedonist222

Originally Posted by rower2cyclist
According to this Quora post a knife cuts as it "...separates material apart is by breaking weak intermolecular bonds that hold a substance together. Pushing down with a sharp edge forces material on either side of the blade outwards, ergo forcing the molecules apart."

My intuition is you'd want to increase the area of contact with the tire and the road using a lower psi which is kind of the opposite of a sharp knife. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe we are talking about the same things. I'm just trying to understand.
true
But beyond a certain point, handling becomes sloppy

Many variables
Your weight
Lean angle
Tire performance
Your skills
Road quality

But generally the higher the psi, the sharper the handling
Likes For hedonist222:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.