Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help me pick a Wheelset: Hubs, spoke count, strength and weight.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-20, 02:11 PM
RadDog
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts

Greetings, forumites.

I have narrowed down my choices to 2 sets, but I would greatly appreciate some feedback. Carbon frame bike that either has or is getting Ultegra parts. I am a 220 lb bodybuilder/powerlifter who has squatted/deadlifted 600 lbs, so I generate a lot of power.

On the other hand, I ride pure tarmac and the roads are very good where I live. I don't curb jump (well, I will a couple of times when the rims are new to test them out) and my background in BMX/messengering has enabled me to really reduce any impact to the rims. The Cliff's notes version is "fairly big rider, strong rider, smooth roads." I will be running 25 tires.

I have been considering Blackset race 24 rims with a 24/28 spoke set up. The 24 is the height of the rim and 24s are not as strong as 30's, but incredibly light. The Blacksets usually come with Pure hubs which are very light and, based upon my research, good quality. I can get these for a ridiculously low price ($320) and they are extremely light, 1455 grams. The downside is these are not the strongest rims.

On the other hand I can get a Blackset race 24 rim with a 32/32 spoke pattern and a Dura Ace hub for under $500 delivered. This choice would be the best in terms of strength and reliability and weighs 1680 grams.

I would love to run the Blackset race 24s, they are cheap and light, but am I too heavy for them? The aluminum cartridges on the pure hubs are sealed and can be replaced, but of course they can't match the durability of the dura ace hubs.

Thanks!
Old 10-17-20, 02:30 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I'd look into Campy or fulcrum wheels from pro bike kit or merlin. At your weight, wheel weight is insignificant. Otherwise, ask the wheel builder.
Old 10-17-20, 02:42 PM
RadDog
Banned.

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I'd look into Campy or fulcrum wheels from pro bike kit or merlin. At your weight, wheel weight is insignificant. Otherwise, ask the wheel builder.
Since I don't race (anymore) and am heavy in theory weight should not be a huge deal. However, lighter stuff is simply more fun to ride and motivates me to ride longer/more often.

Having said that, the 200 gram difference between the low spoke count Zlights and Blacksets is probably outweighed by the superior strength and durability of the dura ace hubbed 32 spoke count wheel.

So my takeaway fro your comments is to go with the heavier/stronger/more durable wheel/hub (IE Dura ace).
Old 10-17-20, 05:45 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdal...lbs-rider.html
Old 10-17-20, 09:08 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
I'm not familiar with the particular wheels you are discussing, but I do think that, at your weight, 32x spokes is advisable. And Dura Ace hubs are pretty much gold standard, as long as you will maintain them properly. (I believe they are still traditional open bearing hubs, right? So, clean and repack with fresh bearings every now and then.)
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-18-20, 05:02 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
I reckon 24h front, 28h with a good rim is probably more than enough spoke for you, given your habits of mechanical sympathy. I reckon you should probably go a 28mm tyre in the back, though.

So I'd say go the 28h wheels, as long as those Pure hubs are damn fine, I'm talking straight pull flanges, and with steel strips on the inevitably ally cassette splines, or at least forged ally there. Otherwise, missing out on that sweet Shimano freehub will sting too much.

I wish Shimano offered straight-pull hubs in all 'drillings' from 16-27h, like they do with the old fogey 32h hubs.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 10-18-20, 10:24 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
I am about 230 pounds. Used to be pretty strong and I used to break rear wheel spokes a lot. I picked up my cadence to be between 80 and 100 which reduced the wheel breakage issues.

I am currently running a set of Rolf Echelon wheels, which I bought because they use a steel axle instead of aluminum. I did break a couple of non-drive side spokes the second year I owned them, which Rolf replaced under warranty. The front has been flawless. The front is a 16 spoke wheel, and the rear is a 20 spoke wheel.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 10-18-20, 10:28 AM
RadDog
Banned.

Originally Posted by Kimmo
I reckon 24h front, 28h with a good rim is probably more than enough spoke for you, given your habits of mechanical sympathy. I reckon you should probably go a 28mm tyre in the back, though.

So I'd say go the 28h wheels, as long as those Pure hubs are damn fine, I'm talking straight pull flanges, and with steel strips on the inevitably ally cassette splines, or at least forged ally there. Otherwise, missing out on that sweet Shimano freehub will sting too much.

I wish Shimano offered straight-pull hubs in all 'drillings' from 16-27h, like they do with the old fogey 32h hubs.
"Given your habits of mechanical sympathy"....LOL. That is a great phrase. But yes, I try and be careful.

In regards to the 28 tire, I am not sure if my frame will allow, but I might give it a try. So, you are saying, 24/28, Pure hub, and 28 tire. The larger tire will probably make the 24/28's w/ lighter hub weight the same as the dura ace 32/32 with 25's, yes? Interesting. The internal width on the Blackset 24's are only 17.