Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

little brake adjustment lever/thumbwheel name? Replaceable?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-20, 02:36 AM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts

Please would someone tell me the official name for little brake adjustment lever, that you open to take your wheel off, or for minor adjustments of brake tension on the road?

Are these things purchasable as Shimano (rear BR5800)? I broke the lever off mine because it got stiff and I used pliers on it. Now I can't turn it without pliers. On auctions Japan there are only spare pairs of brakes that I can see and they start at about 40USD second-hand for a set, or a new rear BR-R7000 (105) brake which is about the same price.

Last edited by timtak; 10-18-20 at 02:48 AM.
Old 10-18-20, 08:59 AM
zatopek

Bikes: Neilpryde Nazare, Storck Scenero G3, Colnago Extreme Power, CAAD 10, Bowman Palace R, Strong Custom Foco Steel, BMC SLR01, BMC ALR01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 53 Posts
I think you refer to the brake caliper’s quick release lever.
Old 10-18-20, 01:20 PM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
This perhaps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
shimano-brake-qr.jpg (19.9 KB, 87 views)
Old 10-18-20, 03:27 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I've never seen them for sale separately.
Old 10-18-20, 05:47 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
I think on 105 and below, they're riveted on. You could probably grind off the rivet and fit one from an Ultegra or Dura-Ace brake of suitable vintage, but in almost all cases you'd be better off just chucking another brake on (unless of course you found a busted brake of the right sort).
Old 10-19-20, 12:02 AM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Originally Posted by zatopek
I think you refer to the brake caliper’s quick release lever.
Thank you. Spot on, as demonstrated by Bob's picture.

Originally Posted by Bob the Mech
This perhaps
Thank you very much yes that. So it is not for adjustment. I read elsewhere that fully open and fully closed are safe but that midway positions may result in braking failure.

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Thank you.

Originally Posted by Kimmo
I think on 105 and below, they're riveted on. You could probably grind off the rivet and fit one from an Ultegra or Dura-Ace brake of suitable vintage, but in almost all cases you'd be better off just chucking another brake on (unless of course you found a busted brake of the right sort).
Thank you. I trust and believe you are entirely right.

Drat. It seems like I am going to have to pay 40USD for a new brake, or about that for a second hand pair.

At the moment I am making do with a "dangerous" midway position where I can just about push the tire through the pads.
Old 10-19-20, 01:44 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Well, I do use mine for adjustment. Oops.
If it seized that badly what condition is the rest of the calliper in?
Old 10-19-20, 02:34 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Pretty sure the Shimano QRs work fine as an adjustment; put one halfway open and reef on the brake lever, and you won't budge it. Clever design.

If it's the tear brake, I'd just use the barrel adjuster for a slow release and forget about it. If it's the front brake, you can just swap the arm over, only the spindle is different. (Your front wheel comes off more often, right?)
Old 10-19-20, 09:35 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
If it seized that badly what condition is the rest of the calliper in?
^ This.

If it's seized or that tight then you've let it get far to dirty/corroded. When anything like that comes into the shop I yank the caliper from the frame and soak it. Then I blow it out with compressed air and lube up everything that is supposed to be able to move.

That's all being paid for at my shop rate.

Even if you could find the part - I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest you need a new caliper and by the time you get done messing with the current one you would most likely have been better off just buying a new one.

Old 10-19-20, 09:56 AM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Seem them for the BR-6800 caliper (Ultegra).
Old 10-19-20, 10:00 AM
Bob the Mech

The new 105 BR-7000 has a removable brake cable QR but as you've mentioned, the BR-5800 does not.
Likes For Bob the Mech:
Old 10-19-20, 03:56 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak
Thank you. Spot on, as demonstrated by Bob's picture.

Thank you very much yes that. So it is not for adjustment. I read elsewhere that fully open and fully closed are safe but that midway positions may result in braking failure.

Thank you.

Thank you. I trust and believe you are entirely right.

Drat. It seems like I am going to have to pay 40USD for a new brake, or about that for a second hand pair.

At the moment I am making do with a "dangerous" midway position where I can just about push the tire through the pads.
I have a NIB pair of R7000 in my bike room right now that I would make you an exceptional deal on. The only problem is that the shipping to Japan is probably cost prohibitive...
Old 10-19-20, 05:29 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 1,930 Posts
Pretty sure the Shimano QRs work fine as an adjustment; put one halfway open and reef on the brake lever, and you won't budge it. Clever design.
That was copied from Campagnolo's original Record caliper from 1969. It was intended to be used to open the caliper for wheel removal or as a short-term fix for a badly out-of-true wheel until your team car could provide a replacement, not as a long term adjustment — that's what the barrel adjuster is for. Everybody started using it when Campagnolo's patent lapsed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
record-brake-1969.jpg (85.4 KB, 37 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-19-20, 06:39 PM
timtak

Originally Posted by yarbrough462
I have a NIB pair of R7000 in my bike room right now that I would make you an exceptional deal on. The only problem is that the shipping to Japan is probably cost prohibitive...
That is kind of you. They are good brakes. But yes, I think shipping to Japan would be prohibitive.

It must be nice to have a "bike room." Our tool shed is for everything.

Thanks for letting me know that the halfway position is okay. I am not sure of the condition of the rear brake other than that it works okay. I guess it needs taking apart and cleaning.

There is also a set of dual pivot R7000 73usd all in. They look nice.

I bought a dual pivot R7000 rear only for 40USD from Amazon Japan.

Thank you for everyone's advice.

The R7000 rear brake is now on the bike and I am imagining I detect a performance improvement.

Last edited by timtak; 10-26-20 at 07:21 PM.
Likes For timtak: