Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How cold is too cold?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How cold is too cold?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-20, 03:15 PM
oleg232000

Bikes: Litepseed Catalyst Neutral Support Bike, La Pierre Spicy Team, Mercier Kilo TT, Cannondale Multisport2000, Goffa BMX, Haro Dave Mirra Freestyle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Ive ridden in worse, but its not an accurate comparison. Your bikes engine is a giant heater, at least on my R1. Plus your wearing alot more gear. And if your tucking, most of the wind aint hitting your chest. If you hands and feet are covered, your good. As for biking, ive ridden with snow falling, so had to be in the 20's.
Old 10-26-20, 08:21 PM
yukiinu

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
6000 foot pass in blizzard

In April I went east out of Reno nevada. There was a once in a lifetime tailwind that literally pushed me along like I was on a motorcycle. I didn't have to peddle on the flats and going up hill I used higher gears. I was loaded for cross country. I kept looking to the north at the nasty dark snow clouds. I gained elevation and then the blizzard hit with weird shaped Styrofoam like packing peanut hale/snow clusters. Was on major interstate highway and the visibility was so bad only saw 2 or 3 vehicles an hour. I don't know the temp but it had tobebelow freezing. I rode all day, froze my througt/lungs. Couldn't swallow anything but cream of mushroom soup for a week.
Old 10-26-20, 08:37 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 227 Posts
I usually don't ride in cold weather which for me is anything under 50F. I have gone out on a few sunny 47F days but am not particularly fond of it. Usually I escape the wet and rainy Seattle area weather for warmer climes over the winter. However, due to Covid-19, it looks like that won't be happening this year. I don't mind running in colder and wetter weather but riding in it is something quite different.
Old 10-27-20, 08:12 AM
Yokosawa1

Bikes: 1972 Galmozzi criterium frame, Campy equipped, Weinman wood-filled rims

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If it's a training ride, it depends on what you are able to get out of it. I love the cold and routinely am active in very cold weather activity (-60F) and my primary concerns are to take care of my lungs and exposed skin. To the other excellent wear recommendations, I would add for raspatory protection the ColdAvenger® Expedition Balaclava which has a unique mouth cover which uses your exhaled heat to warm inhaled breaths and protects your facial skin. In addition to protect your eyes and promote vision for safety, I would recommend the 509 Sinister X5 Ignite Heated Goggle.
Likes For Yokosawa1:
Old 10-30-20, 09:50 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,284 Times in 709 Posts
There is no temperature threshold (that I'm likely to encounter in the North-East United States, at least) below which I won't consider cycling.

There are however combinations of temperature, precipitation, wind, visibility, and/or road conditions, that will prevent me from cycling.

But cold alone? Meh. Bring it. I know how to dress appropriately.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 10-30-20, 11:11 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Cold is fine. I cant stand hail even worse if the day started with warmer temps. nothing like getting bead blasted.
Old 10-31-20, 05:05 PM
benetga

Bikes: Trek 1.1, Nashbar Carbon105 , Specialized Rockhopper-SS, Aventon Aventure

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My setup

Studded tires and 250w Hilltopper. Layers,goggles and hiking boots good for most winter temps on my 10mi comute.