Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Speedplay X replacement cleats - discontinued?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Speedplay X replacement cleats - discontinued?

Old 10-15-20, 05:48 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by goenrdoug
I have X pedals on the trainer bike and use the Light Action cleats that go with the pedals on the main bike. They work just fine. If you can find some 'light action' cleats, it would be an option...

For walkability, I stuck some of these on them and they work great: https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Kovers-S.../dp/B008B2Z1D0
How many watts have you put through them? Good option if they work, but if not... Let's say my insurance will increase.
Old 10-15-20, 07:07 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
How many watts have you put through them? Good option if they work, but if not... Let's say my insurance will increase.
I dunno, at least 400 though...

Seriously, I rode this combo on the trainer bike all through the winter on them quite securely -- including burying myself to near puking going after various sprints and whatnot in Zwift. My trainer and front wheel holder thingy were in far more danger of toppling during those efforts than my clips.. I also rode Rosarito-Ensenada on that bike with this combo and never felt insecure, was never unable to clip in or out to avoid the many inexperienced/novice riders, etc.

If you insurance is this particular, you need a new policy.
Old 10-15-20, 07:54 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
If you insurance is this particular, you need a new policy.
I meant if they unclip in a sprint, I'll crash. Could be quite expensive if in a peloton. Otherwise, sounds like a good alternative.
Old 10-17-20, 09:17 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
I have X pedals on the trainer bike and use the Light Action cleats that go with the pedals on the main bike. They work just fine. If you can find some 'light action' cleats, it would be an option...

For walkability, I stuck some of these on them and they work great: https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Kovers-S.../dp/B008B2Z1D0
The X series (V2) cleats are back in stock yet again (for the moment anyway) at Excel. Seems that at least for a while wahoo will keep shipping these.
Old 10-17-20, 06:43 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
Already out of stock at excel. I found some on ebay and bought 4 pairs.
Old 10-24-20, 07:12 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Already out of stock at excel. I found some on ebay and bought 4 pairs.
Back in stock, act fast y'all !
Old 10-27-20, 09:20 AM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 38 Posts
Not directly related, but as we touched on this upthread, here is some info I got yesterday from Wahoo:

"Thanks for reaching out to Wahoo customer support. Wahoo is not moving forward with the Frog pedal line. We are out of stock of all pedals and cleats and there are no current plans to replenish the stock. We apologize for any inconvenience.
We are not currently offering a pedal for the mountain bike/gravel market."

I suspect they may drop other products as well.
Old 10-27-20, 02:25 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by nesdog
Not directly related, but as we touched on this upthread, here is some info I got yesterday from Wahoo:

"Thanks for reaching out to Wahoo customer support. Wahoo is not moving forward with the Frog pedal line. We are out of stock of all pedals and cleats and there are no current plans to replenish the stock. We apologize for any inconvenience.
We are not currently offering a pedal for the mountain bike/gravel market."

I suspect they may drop other products as well.
Sounds like it.. doesn't bode well then for the Syzr or Zero Pave models. Why would Wahoo buy a company and then discontinue most of the lineup?
Old 10-27-20, 03:28 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Why would _____ buy a company and then discontinue most of the lineup?
You don't work in software, do you?
Old 10-27-20, 03:37 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

You don't work in software, do you?
Nope, but this is hardware. Sometimes companies buy other companies to absorb and negate competition, but it's not like Wahoo was even in the pedal market beforehand. Original rumors were they wanted to get into the pedal-based power meter business, which I guess is still a possibility someday.

I do assume the frog, syzr and pave models were not big sellers -- so it's probably for that reason. The X series might have still sold some, but too similar to the Zero, so they're now only seemingly producing cleat consumables
Old 10-28-20, 06:18 PM
hcgaloi

Bikes: Spcialized RockHopper (free) 1992 Trek T100 Tandem ($220) 2006 Quintana Roo Seduza ($350) 2016 Giant Fastroad ($1100)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
According to Speedplay V.2 cleat is compatible with X-series:
"The new V.2 Cleat will function with existing Zero, Ultra Light Action or X Series pedals."

SPEEDPLAY : HIGH PERFORMANCE PEDALS.
Old 10-28-20, 07:40 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by hcgaloi
According to Speedplay V.2 cleat is compatible with X-series:
"The new V.2 Cleat will function with existing Zero, Ultra Light Action or X Series pedals."

SPEEDPLAY : HIGH PERFORMANCE PEDALS.
No.. pretty sure it's saying in shorthand that for each of those pedal models, there is now a new V2 version of cleat for each model.
Old 05-20-21, 10:53 PM
evildoer
Loser

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cleat Repair

Anyone had any luck repairing broken spring/wire portion of x cleats? I thought I read something a while back from someone who used a spoke to replace a broken spring.
Old 05-21-21, 06:34 AM
edle65

Bikes: Colnago Extreme - C, Scott Addict, Storck Aerfast

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I keep getting my left cleat wire breaking on me since that is the foot I use to unclip more. Can't seem to find wire replacement either. X cleat prices are so jacked up right now.
Old 05-21-21, 07:02 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by edle65
I keep getting my left cleat wire breaking on me since that is the foot I use to unclip more. Can't seem to find wire replacement either. X cleat prices are so jacked up right now.
As it turns out, I break the right ones and have a surplus of new left ones. Maybe we can work out a trade if you've kept unused rights.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 05-21-21, 08:17 AM
evildoer
Loser

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I emailed wahoo again last night and received a more encouraging response than I had a few months back. They moved all production out of the country. It can't cost them much at all to make the cleats they used to sell for 40 bucks and now go for 100 on ebay-
Thank you for reaching out to us and for being a loyal Speedplay rider over the years!

We haven't made any announcements about any Speedplay products recently, I can't confirm whether or not the Frog or X series pedals will be continued going forward with Wahoo. I do know that we aren't currently selling them. I apologize for the lack of confirmation, but we do not have this information available.

We will have more of the Frog and X series cleats themselves available soon, we're doing what we can to get them available for retail sale. The current plan is for them to be available sometime around August though it could be a bit later. Again, we're doing what we can and this is an estimation based off of the best information I have available but I wanted to share this with you.
Likes For evildoer:
Old 07-12-21, 05:46 PM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by evildoer
I emailed wahoo again last night and received a more encouraging response than I had a few months back. They moved all production out of the country. It can't cost them much at all to make the cleats they used to sell for 40 bucks and now go for 100 on ebay-
Thank you for reaching out to us and for being a loyal Speedplay rider over the years!

We haven't made any announcements about any Speedplay products recently, I can't confirm whether or not the Frog or X series pedals will be continued going forward with Wahoo. I do know that we aren't currently selling them. I apologize for the lack of confirmation, but we do not have this information available.

We will have more of the Frog and X series cleats themselves available soon, we're doing what we can to get them available for retail sale. The current plan is for them to be available sometime around August though it could be a bit later. Again, we're doing what we can and this is an estimation based off of the best information I have available but I wanted to share this with you.
Thanks for this post. I'm crossing my fingers that X2 cleats will become available in the future. I'm a long time happy user and would like to keep the lovefest going.